Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

tentative8e8op posted:

Your site includes those dogs in the 48 officers killed by gunfire.

I looked through the cases bc I was curious, and removed such cases I saw from my numbers. Like someone injured in 1993 succumbing, accidental drunk drivers who were charged with vehicular assault, and someone shot in an off-duty bar fight shouldn't really count.
LOL, they really *did* double dip on the loving dogs. My bad, I assumed that listing them separately meant they were counting them separately. Since the site lets you look across multiple years, I went back and looked at July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014, same range as the NCES data. I got 36 deliberate gunfire, 1 assault, 1 stabbing, 1 bomb, and 9 vehicular assaults, for 48 excluding dogs. You can't only nitpick the cop deaths for those that don't "really" count, since the 26 NCES homicides includes students, staff, and "other nonstudent school-associated violent deaths" which I guess would be visitors? Going by their tables, it looks like over half of the school-related homicides in any given calendar year are students. Christ, this is some depressing reading. Either way, I'm confident that my back-of-the-envelope calculation that a law enforcement officer is roughly an order of magnitude more likely to be murdered on the job than a teacher stands up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/Oprah/status/913551310628184064

She's running

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

steinrokkan posted:

The justice system is not doing its job because the nation is in love with police, isn't it. The unions could aid the reform process by standing up to abuse of power within its ranks, until they do so, they contribute to the stalemate.

Yeah this is a large part of the problem. A lot of proposed police reforms would actually be better for officers (i.e. cracking down on unofficial quotas, encouraging community policing, winding down the war on drugs, supporting training reform and changes to how lethal force is used, etc). It'd make it easier for officers to do their actual jobs, rebuild trust with their communities, and make their jobs safer, as well.

You can't expect a police union to not defend officers accused of misconduct, because that's one of the main purposes of having a union: to protect workers for being fired unfairly. But we should be able to expect police unions to support reforms that will not only reduce misconduct but also make their jobs safer and easier. The fact that they don't support these reforms publicly, and that therefore many of their members do not either, means that they're more concerned with allowing officers to exercise power than they are having them serve their communities. They shouldn't be abolished for this but they absolutely should be called out, and political pressure should be used to force them to accept such changes.

Of course, that pressure won't happen until this administration is gone, but that's a separate problem.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Lol this would rule

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Oprah woulda won.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

If she wins it is basically ceding the presidency to be a post of celebrity. I am not sure i am okay with that.Otherwise this is a good thing.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

If she wins it is basically ceding the presidency to be a post of celebrity. I am not sure i am okay with that.Otherwise this is a good thing.

I'm okay with it as long as we essentially dissolve all power of the presidency and hand it over to another parliamentary body.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Yeah but the police union isn't in the wrong here. Look at it like a piece of machinery that isn't working because something's caught in the gears. The way to fix it is to remove the thing in the gears, not decide the gears are garbage and need to be gotten rid of. The way to fix this is to fix the problems in the justice system that create a lenient atmosphere for lovely cops who kill people, and what the police unions do is irrelevant to fixing that problem.

Granted, the largest part of the problem is still that a way bigger portion of american voters don't believe there is a problem, and that's probably going to take a lot longer and be more complicated than the fix to the justice system.

I agree with this. The vast majority of people in any profession (including cops) are good at what they do. You get rid of the bad apples.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm okay with it as long as we essentially dissolve all power of the presidency and hand it over to another parliamentary body.

Dissolve the senate (literally dissolve the members and building in acid), and expand the house so no rep has more than 15K constituents :getin:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

eric posted:

I agree with this. The vast majority of people in any profession (including cops) are good at what they do. You get rid of the bad apples.

No, the "good" cops enable and defend the "bad" cops which makes them bad, too.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Dissolve the senate (literally dissolve the members and building in acid), and expand the house so no rep has more than 15K constituents :getin:

We're gonna need a bigger boat

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What's it like posting from 1980?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Trump has already done irreversible damage to the office of the President, I don't think there will be much in the way of respectability to salvage. Might as well stick Oprah in the position as a successor, she would genuinely be a better choice than the current occupant or most of the people likely to run in 2020.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

It is lovely to attack labor unions, period. The police union is not the problem, the police are the problem. Abolish the police but don't buy into anti-labor rhetoric in the process.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

It is lovely to attack labor unions, period. The police union is not the problem, the police are the problem. Abolish the police but don't buy into anti-labor rhetoric in the process.

What would you replace police with to enforce the law?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

eric posted:

What would you replace police with to enforce the law?

Police and a Judicial system that is not corrupt? Hell, I'd take less corrupt at this point.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Spun Dog posted:

Police and a Judicial system that is not corrupt? Hell, I'd take less corrupt at this point.

I agree that it should be easier to fire cops that are corrupt and abuse their powers.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

There's no such thing as a good cop on the force if they don't stand against the bad ones.

In that case: it's too late. The bad apple spoiled the bunch a long time ago.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Spun Dog posted:

We're gonna need a bigger boat

America deserves no less than the biggest, best boat.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What a dumb idea.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Might as well stick Oprah in the position as a successor, she would genuinely be a better choice than... most of the people likely to run in 2020.

Why?

Honest question. I am unaware of any discernable political positions or philosophies she holds (which doesn't necessarily mean they don't exist).

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

[quote="“GreyjoyBastard”" post="“476901427”"]
Why?

Honest question. I am unaware of any discernable political positions or philosophies she holds (which doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t exist).
[/quote]

After 4 years of Trump, a black woman who worked her worked her way up to the top from the very bottom who is capable of empathy is about as opposite as we can get.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Majorian posted:

I don't agree. While there are certainly xenophobic and isolationist attitudes at work, there are a great many former pro-labor Democrats who have defected to the GOP over the past twenty years, in no small part because free trade agreements and deregulatory policies, championed by Third Way Democrats, have had unambiguously negative impacts on their lives and their communities.

I know I'm late but there's a reason I specified "right-wing."

I also don't think that "former pro-labor Democrats who have defected to the GOP" were defecting because of free trade, because the Republican Party for the duration of the period we're talking about has also supported free trade.

Anti-globalization activists are always going to stand in opposition to the political establishment on their respective side of the political aisle. I'm just saying that conservative opposition (i.e. this doesn't apply to people with coherent left-wing objections to free trade) is not built around a substantive economic argument, even if substantive economic arguments against free trade exist.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I will make you all a deal, I will advocate for Oprah to be. Primary contender if we all agree she has to reenact the cargo container full of bees edit at the next GOP national convention

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
I mean think about it, the galactic Senate had like a billion people yet they still gave Palpatine dictatorial powers over the TPP.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Why?

Honest question. I am unaware of any discernable political positions or philosophies she holds (which doesn't necessarily mean they don't exist).

Mainly because on the Republican side you have four more years of Trump, which is unacceptable for the same 1,000 reasons that him currently serving as president is unacceptable. On the Democrat side, although still too early for it to be meaningful, you're seeing names like Kamala Harris and Cory Booker being thrown around as possible candidates. Booker is a lackey for the pharmaceutical industry and Harris has made her career as a career prosecutor locking people in jail, both are the sorts of candidates who seem like a continuation of Clinton-era Democrats and I would consider the nomination of either as a sign that the party isn't willing to change despite Hillary's embarrassing loss.

Granted Oprah isn't relevant enough to my life for me to have looked into her political views, but I don't recall hearing anything in the past that led me to categorize her as another dirtbag billionaire. Trump supporters actually had a point when they asked for someone who was an outsider to politics and wouldn't have an interest in business-as-usual politics, if they had actually chosen someone with a modicum of respectability things might actually be going alright now.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Why?

secretary of health and human services dr phil

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If yall want to turn Dead Reckoning against the police, just make the cops responsible for vaccinating children.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

If yall want to turn Dead Reckoning against the police, just make the cops responsible for vaccinating children.

We could also make them teach classees because DR loving hates teachers

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

As much as I welcome Oprah running, a reminder: this is the guy she's retweeting.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Considering that if there wasn't a Senate we'd have had Obamacare repealed and replaced by something from the depths of Paul Ryan's hateful anus, I cannot agree with this.

Agreed about adjusting the size of the House, however.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

If we forever cede the office of the presidency to celebrities, then we'll have Democrats forever - the best celebs are all liberals. I'd honestly be in favor of a constitutional amendment requiring service as a member of congress, a governor, or a cabinet member, before being eligible for the presidency. But, we don't have that. Our politics is totally broken, partly because we have a presidential system at all (and partly because the US is a broken hosed up garbage country). So, fine, run Oprah.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Considering that if there wasn't a Senate we'd have had Obamacare repealed and replaced by something from the depths of Paul Ryan's hateful anus, I cannot agree with this.

If we had a 15k member house, it would be representative and we'd have more dems, probably a majority. If there were never a senate we'd have gotten a real stimulus, cap and trade, and public option on the ACA. The GOP never would have taken either body back under those circumstances.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Police are not proletariat therefore gently caress their union hth

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You should go the opposite direction, full tricameral insanity, replace the president with a council.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The only way I'd vote for Oprah is if she's the nominee against Trump and its the general election. She's not qualified, but Trump sure as hell isn't either.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Rigel posted:

The only way I'd vote for Oprah is if she's the nominee against Trump and its the general election. She's not qualified, but Trump sure as hell isn't either.

At that point he'd have 4 years of experience as President!

...every night I pray a comet crashes through my roof and kills me in my sleep. This loving world.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

There's only 3 qualifications to be president and she meets them all.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

At that point he'd have 4 years of experience as President!

Remember how in 2012 Palin was still bashing B-rock on having little experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Nanomashoes posted:

There's only 3 qualifications to be president and she meets them all.

Qualification is kind of a strange thing. By default every president running for re-election is "more qualified" than his opponent* by virtue of having served in the office. That doesn't mean they'd be better. Until like, this election, the major parties had always nominated someone with experience in government or the military.

*Does not apply to Harrison or Taft.

PhazonLink posted:

Remember how in 2012 Palin was still bashing B-rock on having little experience.

Nope! I don't remember that but it doesn't surprise me. I'm pretty sure that was still code for his greatest crime, being black. His experience didn't count because he wasn't legitimately the president (because he was black).

• Locked thread