Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
The weird one for me is people who refer to all desserts as "pudding", even if it's something which objectively isn't pudding, like a bowl of ice cream or something. That said, I'm going to part ways with esteemed poster "DOWN JACKET FETISH" here and suggest that this is not something we should be committing murders over

Anyway, how about those sagas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Pudding means something different in the commonwealth.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
I'm from the Commonwealth! But you're probably right that it's regional to somewhere. Somewhere incorrect about pudding

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It's an old people thing in the UK

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You can have ice cream for pudding but it is not a pudding.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

If you don't eat your meat, how can you have any pudding?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Them that eats most (Yorkshire) pudding, gets the most meat. In the old days the yorkshires were served as a starter to fill you up as most families wouldn't have been able to afford a huge joint of beef. Source: James Herriot books. And this was Sunday dinner.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Ariong posted:

I lust for meal namer death. They will pay for their language crime.

Got a link? That guy sounds like a real dingus.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3194464&pagenumber=1

It was the thread that got me to finally sign up. Sadly I think the images of salad mountain are dead now.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

PUDDING: ICE CUBES AND ARTIFICIAL SWEETENER

Unobtainium
Dec 25, 2006
You want me to hack the planet? He wants me to hack the planet... Ok, *if* I decide to do this, I'll need an unlimited supply of Xena tapes and Hotpockets.

Untrustable posted:

It was the thread that got me to finally sign up. Sadly I think the images of salad mountain are dead now.

I posted that salad mountain back then, I just checked to see if I still have the images but no such luck. I had read an article before about people stacking their salads higher and higher and grabbed the images from there, I am nowhere near patient enough to put in that much effort for a salad. If you Google "pizza hut salad tower" you will find that since then, people have been crafting salad towers roughly 5 times the size of what I posted, to the point where Pizza Hut in China have removed their salad bars altogether.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Unobtainium posted:

I posted that salad mountain back then, I just checked to see if I still have the images but no such luck. I had read an article before about people stacking their salads higher and higher and grabbed the images from there, I am nowhere near patient enough to put in that much effort for a salad. If you Google "pizza hut salad tower" you will find that since then, people have been crafting salad towers roughly 5 times the size of what I posted, to the point where Pizza Hut in China have removed their salad bars altogether.

I recall stories from the GBS China thread about mainlanders going to ridiculous efforts to stack their plates at buffets, but barely actually eating any of the food. I'm gonna put that down to famine-developed habits really loving with people down the line.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Untrustable posted:

Dear god it's even worse than I thought.

"Salad is cheap; This really isn't a big deal."

"Oh, so you're saying that STEALING is GOOD and people should NEVER pay for ANYTHING? Huh? Is that what you're saying?"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol if you're an employee and you give a poo poo what customers do as long as it doesn't make your day longer.

in my grocery days, i let people steal whatever and if my boss asked, i didnt see nothing.

if i ever worked in a restaurant i would not give a gently caress if they upended the buffet into a plastic bag.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Hot off the presses: mod in d&d (or whatever the great race space is in now) starts crowdfunding to help the disadvantaged. It was either a scam or, much much more likely, extremely short-sighted and gets called out immediately despite the mod probating "trolls"

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835777&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

"This is what happens when PoC and other minorities try to uplift themselves. Every time without fail."

Drunk Nerds has a new favorite as of 00:16 on Sep 30, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Goons being mad at TGRS for existing is a saga in and of itself.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Drunk Nerds posted:

Hot off the presses: mod in d&d (or whatever the great race space is in now) starts crowdfunding to help the disadvantaged. It was either a scam or, much much more likely, extremely short-sighted and gets called out immediately despite the mod probating "trolls"

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835777&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

"This is what happens when PoC and other minorities try to uplift themselves. Every time without fail."

I don't know man, I don't know.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
So basically it's charity moderated by one person who decides how much each person gets? She's getting 100 bucks a month it looks like so between a few people it's enough to buy lunch, assuming she hands it out evenly (which won't happen because someone is inevitably going to get more than someone else and the whining will be hilarious)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Heath posted:

So basically it's charity moderated by one person who decides how much each person gets? She's getting 100 bucks a month it looks like so between a few people it's enough to buy lunch, assuming she hands it out evenly (which won't happen because someone is inevitably going to get more than someone else and the whining will be hilarious)

I don't have high hopes, as with any goon project, but right now there isn't much to laugh at except for a bunch of actual trolls who somehow detect fake blackness (????) over the internet. Give it time, imo.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah, give it a chance to fail before lashing out on it. Or maybe it will be good for some people who otherwise have trouble getting food. There seems to be next to no accountability beyond "hey, don't spend it on dumb things" though so there is a virtually 100% chance that at least one person will abuse it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jesus. They jumped on that almost from the get go.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I gotta be honest it's a bit concerning that any and all criticism of it is being labelled as racism

I don't have a dog in the race but IMO the QCS thread about it made some valid criticisms and I don't think "hey mod-backed fundraisers have crashed and burned before and this one doesn't seem to have much oversight as to where the money goes" should be answered with "gently caress off racist."

e: I mean if you divorce yourself completely from the background of the Patreon or whatever, IMO it is objectively kind of sketchy when someone goes "I'm making a big donation box for X, this is the thread to suggest what X should be" followed immediately by "btw I think some of the donations should go to me." I'm not doubting KM's story or situation for a second, but I also don't think I'm a racist for feeling that way :shrug:

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 01:13 on Sep 30, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just seemed like a kinda naive idea to me. Don't mean that as an insult, as such, but it may work out with a bit more planning.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
As long as KM is a person of integrity that people can trust, I think it will be fine until the charity gets big enough that additional management may be required. I've spent 0 time in her subforum, I dont know who she is, but a lot of goons in that thread are vouching for her.

At least half of the criticism in that thread is literally 'racist stereotype, gimme money for AIDS' or calling her a fake black woman scammer. That kind of poo poo is hardly helpful and they deserve their bans/probations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Charles Bukowski posted:

At least half of the criticism in that thread is literally 'racist stereotype, gimme money for AIDS' or calling her a fake black woman scammer. That kind of poo poo is hardly helpful and they deserve their bans/probations.

Some goons see this and all they can think is "Oh, so literally all criticism is racism now, eh??? :smuggo:". Some things never change.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I only skimmed it and didn't see where she said she would pull from the donations herself. If that's true then yeah, this is really suspect. Isn't Patreon specifically not for that kind of donation? And why is it a monthly Patreon instead of a single-shot donation thing? Is she going to break down who gets how much publicly? What are the criteria she's using to base who gets what since it's literally all self-reported?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Who What Now posted:

Goons being mad at TGRS for existing is a saga in and of itself.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Who What Now posted:

Some goons see this and all they can think is "Oh, so literally all criticism is racism now, eh??? :smuggo:". Some things never change.

I was talking about another thread but ok

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Jeffrey's charity program:
https://www.againstmalaria.com/

they'll know what do

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Goons built a school in Haiti. They also built Doobie's Dog House and swap.avi

Quality track record

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I know Doccers outside the forums and got a ride in the Volvo.

He's a cool cat.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Kelp Me! posted:

I don't have a dog in the race but IMO the QCS thread about it made some valid criticisms and I don't think "hey mod-backed fundraisers have crashed and burned before and this one doesn't seem to have much oversight as to where the money goes" should be answered with "gently caress off racist."

It should be answered with "If you think its going to crash and burn then shut the gently caress up and enjoy the show"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Syd Midnight posted:

It should be answered with "If you think its going to crash and burn then shut the gently caress up and enjoy the show"

Last time that happened we got GBS 2.0.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My only problem with KM and that fundraiser is that she seems to want to communicate solely in Twitter reaction gifs.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yall have way too many opinions about a forum and a thread you dont even post in

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Why can't people post how much they need and why, with a link to a paypal, instead of redistributing donations by a committee.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Goons built a school in Haiti.

Is this for real? I didn't know that. Does anyone have a link or any info on this?

EARTHQUAKE REFUGEES - PILED HIGH

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

du -hast posted:

Is this for real? I didn't know that. Does anyone have a link or any info on this?

EARTHQUAKE REFUGEES - PILED HIGH

As I recall, it was a donation drive for The Matenwa Learning Center, which is a legit and non-goon-run charity organization for education in a Haitian community? Not actually a lulzfest, unless there are elements of the story I don't know about.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Why can't people post how much they need and why, with a link to a paypal, instead of redistributing donations by a committee.

Because it wasn't well thought out.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Antivehicular posted:

As I recall, it was a donation drive for The Matenwa Learning Center, which is a legit and non-goon-run charity organization for education in a Haitian community? Not actually a lulzfest, unless there are elements of the story I don't know about.

I don't remember any drama, just funds being raised for a wonderful charity. Seriously, it was heartwarming. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah the matemwa stuff was 100% pure and good. I still get email updates from them :unsmith:

Also SA raised lots for the Pacific tsunami relief back in the day which, sadly, PayPal hosed us about.