Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That was one of the most hosed up things I have ever watched. I am emotionally drained after that. It was only 48 minutes, but somehow I feel like I was watching for hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I realized my mistake and recanted, dear mod.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Grouchio posted:

I realized my mistake and recanted, dear mod.

Did you send handwritten apologies to all of the affected parties? :catbert:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
good endcards

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Haven't seen the new ep yet, but

Lower left :unsmigghh:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Welcome to the Nanachi Suffering Power Hour, Featuring Nanachi, the best character in Made in Abyss, suffering endlessly

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wow that was rough.

And holy poo poo this is probably my anime of the year.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I mean it's been a pretty strong year, but yeah this is up there for sure.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The utter meaningless of the Star Compass in this season kinda got to me, and the lack of any resolution surface side too. Thought that the featuring of Leader on the surface last episode would mean something climactic would happen there. Overall this was a great show, and it definitely features some of the most standout scenes of the year! Unsure if overall it stands up against some of the other entries so far.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The utter meaningless of the Star Compass in this season kinda got to me, and the lack of any resolution surface side too. Thought that the featuring of Leader on the surface last episode would mean something climactic would happen there. Overall this was a great show, and it definitely features some of the most standout scenes of the year! Unsure if overall it stands up against some of the other entries so far.

I'm guessing they'll probably pick up the Star Compass again near the bottom. It was important to the plot, just not yet.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finished the episode.

Yup. Yuuuuup yup yup that's it, that's the scene that made me physically ill when I got to that part in the manga. I remember having to get fresh air after reading it and being nauseous for a while. It was much more gruesome in the manga, though.

The part afterwards where Reg had to euth Mitty hosed me up harder in this version, though. I'm not gonna lie, my cat came to check out what was happening and I had to cuddle him for a while. Then I started thinking about what I'll have to do once he gets too old and jesus loving christ :smith:

This is a roller coaster of a series. If it doesn't get a second season and continued adaptation, it'll be a god damned shame.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
The main problem with making a second season at the moment is that there's not quite enough to adapt. This ended on chapter 26 exactly, having a rough average of two chapters per episode. It's only on 42 right now, so if they want to have roughly this same level of pacing they'll need at least 10 more. Not to spoil anything, but if you ask me, they'll need even more than that.

I'd expect a second season in a year and a half, maybe two years.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

I'm guessing they'll probably pick up the Star Compass again near the bottom. It was important to the plot, just not yet.

Oh yeah that's definitely the case, but it's the annoying "oh hey it's the thing we lost in episode 3 it will now reveal all of the truths of the setting! in episode 24

To quote Sagrada Reset: Macguffin.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
That's not a MacGuffin, that's a Chekhov's Gun. A MacGuffin is an ambiguous object or goal or thing that exists solely to drive the plot of something forward, and the Star Compass isn't even remotely that. It hasn't had any plot significance whatsoever.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

There Bias Two posted:

That was one of the most hosed up things I have ever watched. I am emotionally drained after that. It was only 48 minutes, but somehow I feel like I was watching for hours.

Same. Ugh. I shouldn't have watched this right before going to work.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

That's not a MacGuffin, that's a Chekhov's Gun. A MacGuffin is an ambiguous object or goal or thing that exists solely to drive the plot of something forward, and the Star Compass isn't even remotely that. It hasn't had any plot significance whatsoever.

sorry i just have that clip of the sagrada reset guy saying 'mcguffin' repeatedly in my head

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Only person who thinks the star compass does anything is Riko and by extension Reg because he thinks whatever Riko thinks because hes too dumb to think for himself. Im pretty sure the joke is it wont actually do anything meaningful.
Also kind of weird that Riko asks Nanachi to come along since she didnt want anyone else to go to the bottom with her. I guess Nanachi has her reasons to go down but id have thought itd make more sense for herself to ask to come along.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Good poo poo, good series.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Iretep posted:

Also kind of weird that Riko asks Nanachi to come along since she didnt want anyone else to go to the bottom with her. I guess Nanachi has her reasons to go down but id have thought itd make more sense for herself to ask to come along.

It's a one way trip for anyone else from the orphanage, if Habolg had gone with them then they'd be given an unfair advantage against Leader's test, IIRC they didn't refuse anyone from Seeker Camp and most importantly: Nanachi saved her life.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Iretep posted:

Only person who thinks the star compass does anything is Riko and by extension Reg because he thinks whatever Riko thinks because hes too dumb to think for himself. Im pretty sure the joke is it wont actually do anything meaningful.

Going down is a death sentence so of course she'd not want to bring anyone else other than the robot, but here's some weird girl-thing that strolls around like a boss in the abyss. Checks out.

As for accepting, well, keep in mind what her initial plan was before Reg said anything.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I guess I'm glad they ended where they did. Feels like a good place to break. I guess we'll either get a second season when there's enough material or enough time will have passed that I won't care anymore so either way it was a good watch for the most part :)

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Welcome to the Nanachi Suffering Power Hour, Featuring Nanachi, the best character in Made in Abyss, suffering endlessly

Whenever terrible things are happening elsewhere in the Abyss, I like to remember that Ozen is probably having a real chill day. Just hangin' out. Getting some good looming in. Later she'll make chocolate chip cookies and she'll say they're only for herself even though she doesn't like chocolate chip and that's Maruruk's favorite kind.

If I read the comic, should I start at 26 or does the show deviate enough that I need to start from 1?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Explosions posted:

Whenever terrible things are happening elsewhere in the Abyss, I like to remember that Ozen is probably having a real chill day. Just hangin' out. Getting some good looming in. Later she'll make chocolate chip cookies and she'll say they're only for herself even though she doesn't like chocolate chip and that's Maruruk's favorite kind.

If I read the comic, should I start at 26 or does the show deviate enough that I need to start from 1?

IIRC, it's a faithful adaptation except for some additional anime-original sections that don't affect the overall plot, like Riko's Big Adventure when Reg powered down. So jumping straight onto 26 should be fine.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

skim it for the cool art, at least

e: like

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
drat that was a terrific finale, I hope season two material doesn't take too long

Explosions posted:

:yeah: :3:

El Burbo posted:

skim it for the cool art, at least

e: like

:yeah:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

I'm just imagining the button-mashing quicktime event where you have to snap her arm...

Press F to pay respects to Mitty

F also is your button for the incinerator

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
That was an amazing episode, gut wrenchingly hard to watch, but amazing. I hope this gets another season but I'll definitely be picking up the manga.

I hope Bondrewd dies the most horrible death imaginable, seriously gently caress that guy. :argh:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/Ryousuke_Nak/status/913873582609940480

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I dunno what you guys are talking about, that episode was awful. I actually had to stop it for a while because I hurt myself rolling my eyes. I thought I understood the edgelord complaints after this went all "127 Hours", but this is just being edgy for edgy's sake. Worst bit is I think I know this kind of author. They're just going to try to keep one-upping themselves every layer now.

I bet we find out that big laser in the base is powered by throwing bags of kittens into a wood chipper.

The layer after will just be a sea of acid where discarded kitten souls boil for eternity.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Pavlov posted:

I dunno what you guys are talking about, that episode was awful. I actually had to stop it for a while because I hurt myself rolling my eyes. I thought I understood the edgelord complaints after this went all "127 Hours", but this is just being edgy for edgy's sake. Worst bit is I think I know this kind of author. They're just going to try to keep one-upping themselves every layer now.

I bet we find out that big laser in the base is powered by throwing bags of kittens into a wood chipper.

The layer after will just be a sea of acid where discarded kitten souls boil for eternity.

:whitewater:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Pavlov posted:

perhaps the edgy one is u

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Who dropped you into the Abyss?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Pavlov posted:

lemme translate this real quick
"I don't understand what setting a consistent tone is and think all attempts at darkness in storytelling are bad."

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This episode pushed this show to AotS for me, and it's probably going to be my anime of the year. It's been a while since something had such an emotional impact on me like this, but god drat every single part of Mitty's death scene hit my heart like a sledgehammer. I also wasn't expecting the way they were transformed to be so cruel. This was one Hell of a last episode.

At least Nanachi has new friends... :unsmith:

Pavlov posted:

edgelord

:rolleyes:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Mighty Dicktron posted:

lemme translate this real quick
"I don't understand what setting a consistent tone is and think all attempts at darkness in storytelling are bad."

The arm cutting scene is one thing. That one kind of worked. Introducing a mad scientist to torture tiny orphan girls into immortal, perpetually suffering monstrosities just loses any sense of seriousness. It's like the author decided they would spare no contrivance to be as over-the-top gruesome as he could be to the most saccharine children he could create. The fact that they also seem to have a hardon for those children just makes it seem all the creepier.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I didn't realize that Bondrewd's VA also did Griffith from the 1997 version of Berserk. The clasped hands whistle reminded me of a behelit, but I didn't expect the connection to be quite that literal.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
You're making an assumption on the storytelling that this was contrived, which it is not - remember that things can be introduced early in a work that pay off later. This is especially important to remember when that work is an adaptation!! I feel like there's plenty of things you can complain about with Made in Abyss, but Bondrewd isn't one of them. He and what he does are genuinely wonderfully done.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Pavlov posted:

don't sign your posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Pavlov posted:

The fact that they also seem to have a hardon for those children just makes it seem all the creepier.

It sounds like you just went into this series determined to have the worst opinion of it from the get-go.

• Locked thread