Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah I was saying that. You get this weird abstract sci-fi noir tone poem piece and then the climax is a robot running around in his pants going HAHAHA I'M MENTAL

e: oh my god I'm less than 5 minutes into the Nathan For You premiere and I'm already losing my poo poo

yea it's awesome. to both your original post and the edit. I love how far Nathan went to get that done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
.......I think I'm starting to understand why this season took two years

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The most crazy thing to me was California's insane rule for changing your name including that you have to announce it in a newspaper every week for a month.

Must really suck if your name is something like Crap Sandwich Baker. I feel like there should be exceptions for people with awful parents (one of my ex's named her daughter Aeris and now that the kid is 7 she (the ex) keeps posting on Facebook about how her daughter's school life is a nightmare. Well, fuckin' duh.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah I was saying that. You get this weird abstract sci-fi noir tone poem piece and then the climax is a robot running around in his pants going HAHAHA I'M MENTAL

And then he proceeds to deliver one of the greatest loving monologues in film history.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

So, people on PSVue, I'm getting more and more shows with unskippable commercials on DVR and I am almost done with this bullshit. Am I crazy or is this becoming way more common?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tin Star is pretty fuckin great so far

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

precision posted:

Must really suck if your name is something like Crap Sandwich Baker. I feel like there should be exceptions for people with awful parents (one of my ex's named her daughter Aeris and now that the kid is 7 she (the ex) keeps posting on Facebook about how her daughter's school life is a nightmare. Well, fuckin' duh.

I know one guy who named his kid Pancake, and I grew up with a guy named Z. Not short for anything, just the letter Z.

Don't be cute with your kids' names, that's what nicknames are for. Some friends have Raptor and Seal but those aren't gonna show up in any official documents and can easily be dropped if the kids get tired of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tin Star thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835966

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leg...

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We binge-watched six episodes of Big Mouth tonight, and it's hilarious and better than I ever would have expected. It's also very clever and warm and true to life. My wife and I are laughing the whole time, remembering and recounting our own super-awkward puberty experiences. It helps that we love everyone associated with the show -- John Mulaney, Nick Kroll, Jessi Klein, Jenny Slate, Jordan Peele -- but I was so worried it was going to be one more crude, gross, awkward, unpleasant cartoon, and it's nothing like that. Well, it's crude, gross, and awkward, but not in a bad way! Despite the somewhat off-putting art style, give it a chance. It's the funniest show to debut this year, and I say this in the year we got Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Bruceski posted:

I know one guy who named his kid Pancake, and I grew up with a guy named Z. Not short for anything, just the letter Z.

Don't be cute with your kids' names, that's what nicknames are for. Some friends have Raptor and Seal but those aren't gonna show up in any official documents and can easily be dropped if the kids get tired of it.

Maybe it's because I live in the south but so many white people give their kids "unique" names that at this point having a normal name is more unique than yet another jumble of unnecessary Ys and Es and double Ns like every other kid in your grade.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
There's something you can do that makes it so you can name your kids whatever weird thing you want. They'll be just fine and it might be sufficiently popular when they're older. Just be rich, simple as that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

And then he proceeds to deliver one of the greatest loving monologues in film history.

Yeah, that bit is obviously incredible and I'd be a fool to say otherwise.

Looking forward to getting to Tin Star but I have so much other stuff first :(

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lycus posted:

There's something you can do that makes it so you can name your kids whatever weird thing you want. They'll be just fine and it might be sufficiently popular when they're older. Just be rich, simple as that.

What are you talking about, Apple and Pilot Inspektor are totally normal baby names.

(My wife and I seriously considered naming our daughter Theory)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
But after some deliberation you just went with Hypothesis.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Heh. Nah, she got named after a female character from a book. Her name is currently in the top 500 baby girl names. Sufficiently uncommon, but not so much that it’s “strange”.

I did actually really like Theory but it would be kinda cruel and the logic behind it was silly.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

lelandjs posted:

Heh. Nah, she got named after a female character from a book. Her name is currently in the top 500 baby girl names. Sufficiently uncommon, but not so much that it’s “strange”.

I did actually really like Theory but it would be kinda cruel and the logic behind it was silly.

The rule of never naming your children after someone still living should extend to never naming them after works of fiction that are unfinished imho. If the ending of Game of Thrones is terrible all the poor Khaleesi of the world are gonna have a bad time.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
They already should since Khaleesi isn't even her name but just her honorific

It's like naming your child Duchess or Urexcellency

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At least we can all enjoy the fact that all those thousands of girls named Katniss will have to endure the nick name Cat Piss at some point.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's like how every single girl whose name I hear is Bella makes me think horrible things about their folks and liking Twilight even if it isn't true.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

less laughter posted:

They already should since Khaleesi isn't even her name but just her honorific

It's like naming your child Duchess or Urexcellency

Or, y'know, Prince.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

We binge-watched six episodes of Big Mouth tonight, and it's hilarious and better than I ever would have expected.

Only saw the first one before bed last night, but watched it for similar reasons (cast) and was also pleasantly surprised. Thought the gimmick might get tired by the time the episode ended, but nope. Will keep watching for sure.

The only gripe is it's a bit obvious that Kroll is doing so many of the voices that it's a little off putting. But if it keeps the costs down and it's obviously something he enjoys, so hey.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Terminology question about American TV's ratings system: when someone says a programme (for instance) "did a three in the ratings" what exactly do they mean?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Terminology question about American TV's ratings system: when someone says a programme (for instance) "did a three in the ratings" what exactly do they mean?

Generally it's a share; eg if it's a 3 in the ratings then 3% of televisions in the country were tuned into that show.

quote:

Nielsen may report a show as receiving a 9.2/15 during its broadcast; this would mean that out of all television-equipped households, 9.2% were tuned in to that program, and out of all television-equipped households with a television currently in use, 15% were tuned in to that program

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
There seems to be no mention of it elsewhere so what are your thoughts on the Ghosted pilot? I had heard some positive reactions and I loved the two leads in Brooklyn99/Parks and Rec; but that was some of the worst television I have ever seen. Am I alone?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

sicDaniel posted:

There seems to be no mention of it elsewhere so what are your thoughts on the Ghosted pilot? I had heard some positive reactions and I loved the two leads in Brooklyn99/Parks and Rec; but that was some of the worst television I have ever seen. Am I alone?

When I first heard about the show, I was really excited. Then I saw the trailer. The trailer looked so bad. Didn't look funny at all. Haven't watched the pilot yet, but I am not optimistic.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I saw most of it when they streamed it on Twitter and it's not a good pilot. It's not very funny and it's too preoccupied with establishing itself to do much else. Craig Robinson and Adam Scott are always great though so I'd be willing to give it more time.

It's loving doomed in that timeslot, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's stupidly rushed which means it isn't really very good at setting up the characters, agency, or the story. Needed a 28-30 minute cut really. But I'll give it a shot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's been on Hulu for awhile. I think I will like it as a show but the pilot had severe pacing issues in that they just seemed to jump to one scene to another without any sort of transition or sense of time passed.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo The Exorcist is back!!!! Why didn't anyone tell me!?

Edit: what country are yall in? In the US, the only Ghosted content that Hulu has is a 3 min clip...

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 30, 2017

Numberwang
Sep 2, 2016

EL BROMANCE posted:

The only gripe is it's a bit obvious that Kroll is doing so many of the voices that it's a little off putting.

I've always had an irrational hatred for Nick Kroll. I think it's a combination of his weird/gross buggy eyes, and the fact that he always has the exact same smug, poo poo eating grin on his face no matter what character he's playing...

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Numberwang posted:

I've always had an irrational hatred for Nick Kroll. I think it's a combination of his weird/gross buggy eyes, and the fact that he always has the exact same smug, poo poo eating grin on his face no matter what character he's playing...

I never got into Kroll Show. Too many of his characters really grated on me, like douchebag Bobby Bottleservice and that girl he played alongside Jenny Slate. But he completely won me over with the Oh, Hello! live performance on Netflix, although it helped that I was already a gigantic John Mulaney fan. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen, so now I'm a reluctant Nick Kroll fan.

If you hate him that much, you may still hate Big Mouth. But I found him really obnoxious in the past, and Oh, Hello! and Big Mouth may have been my comedy highlights of 2017 (along with seeing Tig Notaro and Moshe Kasher live, and seeing Mulaney again tomorrow).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think hating Nick Kroll is irrational. Its the exact intended and natural response, really. Its just a question of whether you can be entertained by how much you hate him or if you just hate him.

I go back and forth.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeesh, so Entertainment Weekly did a Family Matters "reunion" photoshoot and it turns out they deliberately snubbed Jaimee Foxworth, who played Judy the daughter who was sent to the cornfield.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Yeesh, so Entertainment Weekly did a Family Matters "reunion" photoshoot and it turns out they deliberately snubbed Jaimee Foxworth, who played Judy the daughter who was sent to the cornfield.

Do people actually give a poo poo about Family Matters?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I'm really confused about where the new american horror story's going, is it supposed to be about trump or this kooky dude and his (maybe incestuous) sister brainwashing people into joining his kooky club?

Saw bits of the first ep and it lost me.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

It's like how every single girl whose name I hear is Bella makes me think horrible things about their folks and liking Twilight even if it isn't true.

But Bella is short for stuff, I know an Arabella.

It's either Arab, or Bella... choice is easy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
3 eps into Big Mouth and yeah it's really good but not for anyone who doesn't like Nick Kroll (ie INSANE PEOPLE)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Especially people who don't like the way Nick Kroll's face looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nick Kroll is just a less lovely Anthony Jeselnik

• Locked thread