Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

camoseven posted:

Anyone else going to BSides DC next weekend? It'll be my first time at any kind of tech conference, and I'm not sure what to expect.

There is usually a bro class there by the best tech teacher for that technology. Sit in on it , ask good questions, answer questions well and you might be rewarded with a jar of drunken cherries that he makes. They are good and funny that everyone that knows bro in the industry knows about that cherries no matter which country you are in.

Last time I went (and I live here) it was not really exciting for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

camoseven posted:

Anyone else going to BSides DC next weekend? It'll be my first time at any kind of tech conference, and I'm not sure what to expect.

An abundance of body odour, going by my half-decade of security/tech conferences.

Now whenever I get sent to attend something I've resorted to picking interesting talks from the lineup to attend, and treating the rest of a conference as a free work-paid vacation. I've also avoided the big cons so maybe that's why I constantly feel let down by them.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Martytoof posted:

An abundance of body odour, going by my half-decade of security/tech conferences.

Now whenever I get sent to attend something I've resorted to picking interesting talks from the lineup to attend, and treating the rest of a conference as a free work-paid vacation. I've also avoided the big cons so maybe that's why I constantly feel let down by them.

You should try DerbyCon , it's the best.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

fyallm posted:

You should try DerbyCon , it's the best.

Apparently there are a lot of unironic fedoras there

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So the future probably belongs to small companies that can actually keep their poo poo together and adjust operations on a weekly basis, right? Cause I can't see any behemoth in any country being able to keep all their infrastructure safe as things are right now

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, I mean there is this event: http://hackyourderby.com

But *shrugs* still a good time

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

orange sky posted:

So the future probably belongs to small companies that can actually keep their poo poo together and adjust operations on a weekly basis, right? Cause I can't see any behemoth in any country being able to keep all their infrastructure safe as things are right now

Small companies can't keep their poo poo safe either, they're just not as big of targets & not newsworthy when they get owned.

The future belongs to the giant megacorps and the hackers that rob and extort them. It's the cyberpunk future except 90% less cool and 100% less sexy.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah smaller outfits just don't have the mind of resources for the constant audits/fixes you need either.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

password_requirements.txt

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

CLAM DOWN posted:

But home state of bourbon with several distilleries within driving distance (have a group that goes to derby a day early and go on tours to the distilleries)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Fool posted:

password_requirements.txt

What actual authentication system would legitimately have this character class restriction?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

What actual authentication system would legitimately have this character class restriction?

Bank websites (lol)

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

CLAM DOWN posted:

Bank websites (lol)

This is less funny because it's true.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ChubbyThePhat posted:

This is less funny because it's true.

My bank (which is big and national and poo poo) truncates passwords to 15 characters of only letters and numbers, and doesn't use 2FA at all, just three security questions (which just means I gen three more passwords and keep them in the notes section in keepass). All you need to reset the password is the answer to one of those questions and your SSN (which is all over the darkweb like ten times by now), or just bullshit your way past the overworked telephone operator. No email even required, just change the password right on the spot there on the website.

But hey, they added fingerprint logging in for their phone app a couple months back, that's progress! Right!?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CLAM DOWN posted:

Bank websites (lol)

u fokken wot

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

CLAM DOWN posted:

Bank websites (lol)

This is from my bank:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Wake me up when September ends

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Kreeblah posted:

This is from my bank:

Dollars to donuts you turn off that front end javascript there is no back end sanitization.

Or get a intercepting proxy (like burp or zap), put an acceptable password in, turn on intercept and hit submit. Change the two password fields in the request to use one of the naughty characters (I would suggest an & since that would break the least JavaScript or SQL) and see if your type in your new naughty password.

Then call and ask directly for their information security team and hope they are competent and will not sue you.

Don't do any SQL injection (holy poo poo that will get you sure) but if you can prove no sanitization is being done on the back end (or throwing back an error) that can cause some audit problems. They still may be okay by using stored procedures or methods that automatically hash all passwords without touching an SQL statement but you never want to affect any other account besides your own.

At least I would look into it because it's your money.

Edit:I just saw the no "script" tag. I wonder if "ScRiPt" is allowed.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Plot Twist: We were seeing the beginning of "Eternal September 2: Eternal Breach Boogaloo" all along.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Should we maybe start a list of companies that haven't announced a breach in September? Would this be easier?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://www.shodan.io/host/199.38.216.243

:lol:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:chanpop:

SMB. Version. 1.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

SMB. Version. 1.

TO THE INTERNET

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CLAM DOWN posted:

TO THE INTERNET

These people audit other people's infosec, right?

I almost wrote infosex, let's just rename this thread "The Infosex Thread: Everybody has Cybersyphillis"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Absurd Alhazred posted:

SMB. Version. 1.
Servername: PRDTAXDDNS01

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
Gotta be a honeypot, right?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mr Chips posted:

Gotta be a honeypot, right?

Deloitte has proven to be so incompetent I would bet it's not

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
To log into my bank I need to use my customer number and a 6 digits PIN. So, okay, they log you out after 5 attempts, but to reset the PIN they send you a snail mail. If anybody determined knows where I live it'd be trivial to steal it.

I get it, they need to keep it simple for old folks but they should also offer better means (FIDO, 2FA, ...) as options.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

None of the banks here even offer anything but 2FA for their websites. You can log onto the app with a code + print tho.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Furism posted:

To log into my bank I need to use my customer number and a 6 digits PIN. So, okay, they log you out after 5 attempts, but to reset the PIN they send you a snail mail. If anybody determined knows where I live it'd be trivial to steal it.

I get it, they need to keep it simple for old folks but they should also offer better means (FIDO, 2FA, ...) as options.

Mailing you the new PIN sounds perfectly reasonable, since the alternative is "what's your mother's maiden name" or "what color was your first car". You're right that it's vulnerable to Steve Down The Street taking the letter, but that's orders of magnitude less likely than the typical attack scenario of Uri From The Ukraine.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It seems to me the security of mailing stuff also depends on the the of type of letterbox prevalent in your country. Nearly all mail in the UK is delivered through slots in front doors, making it harder to intercept mail compared to the roadside boxes that television and movies tell me dominate rural and suburban america.

Fraudsters have been experimenting with sticking fake letterboxes to the outside of houses.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/fraudsters-glueing-fake-letter-boxes-11435864

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Every year around tax season here we have community mailboxes start to go missing. The post office's solution to this was to make it slightly more difficult to break in to the boxes, which as far as I can tell has solved nothing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Evis posted:

Every year around tax season here we have community mailboxes start to go missing. The post office's solution to this was to make it slightly more difficult to break in to the boxes, which as far as I can tell has solved nothing.

You mean these things just up and disappear?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

That's the nicer version of it because at least you know stuff's gone. Sometimes they get keys for them and just take mail they find interesting. Takes a lot longer to find out when that happens. :/

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Evis posted:

That's the nicer version of it because at least you know stuff's gone. Sometimes they get keys for them and just take mail they find interesting. Takes a lot longer to find out when that happens. :/

Analog APT.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Sign up for informed delivery: https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

They send you pictures of the envelopes that are supposed to be delivered that day. I've had a few that never show up. Nothing important yet, and it's probably the fuckwit delivery person putting the envelopes in the wrong box. There's a nice link in there to report stuff that you didn't get that is supposed to go to the postal inspectors.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Furism posted:

Analog APT.

Advanced Postal Threat

Guy Axlerod posted:

Sign up for informed delivery: https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

They send you pictures of the envelopes that are supposed to be delivered that day. I've had a few that never show up. Nothing important yet, and it's probably the fuckwit delivery person putting the envelopes in the wrong box. There's a nice link in there to report stuff that you didn't get that is supposed to go to the postal inspectors.

Sweet, full color scans of the local circulars that get shoved into my mailbox. Let me know when I can pay money to have the garbage not delivered TO my home.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Volmarias posted:

Sweet, full color scans of the local circulars that get shoved into my mailbox. Let me know when I can pay money to have the garbage not delivered TO my home.
No, you only get scans of "letter-sized" mail.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, just the FINAL NOTICE letters from "Car Warranty" companies. The W2, replacement bank cards, and DMV stuff is good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Bah, the USPS thing wants me to come into the post office to verify my identity because it can't do it from the questions is asks me.