Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I assume it only consumed the first line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
I assume it's made up.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

cinci zoo sniper posted:

are you going to shops for poors

no just a regular shop in the mighty us of a that aint gonna pay $20 to upgrade the pos unit they bought in 1983 that worked fine then and goddamnit still works now

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

pray for my aunt posted:

I assume it's made up.

I'm thinking that too

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hackbunny posted:

nfc cards are hella fast

nfc cards in the us are a chicken/egg thing. some cards had it 10 years ago and dropped it since almost no terminals had support for it and now that the terminals do support it the cards don't. not that it matters these days since apple pay makes that irrelevant.

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

no just a regular shop in the mighty us of a that aint gonna pay $20 to upgrade the pos unit they bought in 1983 that worked fine then and goddamnit still works now

hmm yes, i'm sure this cheapass shop has one of the original zon terminals which somehow still magically works even though they were phased out decades ago (and pays an extra $80/month for a business landline to use it with)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

pray for my aunt posted:

I assume it's made up.

Yea., probably. I thought it was funny though :shobon:

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pray for my aunt posted:

I assume it's made up.

Silly me, thinking it's original from the poster itt.

https://www.reddit.com/r/softwaregore/comments/4w3cn0/so_i_accidentally_broke_a_skype_messaging_bot/

James Baud fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 29, 2017

Jewel
May 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/veorq/status/913494520054075392

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

The_Franz posted:

hmm yes, i'm sure this cheapass shop has one of the original zon terminals which somehow still magically works even though they were phased out decades ago (and pays an extra $80/month for a business landline to use it with)

holy poo poo you autistic, he was using hyperbole

Jewel
May 2, 2009

holy poo poo, this isn't so much of a sec gently caress but more of an interesting thing I didn't know you can do to prevent user idiocy, but I did not know you could do this. was opening chrome console to see why an image didn't load and

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jewel posted:

holy poo poo, this isn't so much of a sec gently caress but more of an interesting thing I didn't know you can do to prevent user idiocy, but I did not know you could do this. was opening chrome console to see why an image didn't load and

Facebook does that because while gamers are gullible idiots Facebook users are more so.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jewel posted:

I've been getting responsible disclosure/ bug bounty people bugging us about our websites not doing this.

lmfao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
javascript was a mistake, it's nothing but trash

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pray for my aunt posted:

I assume it's made up.

that screenshot has been going around for like half a decade now and yeah it seems fake as hell to me

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Facebook does that because while gamers are gullible idiots Facebook users are more so.

and i screenshotted facebook's and brought it up in this thread and we laffed at it :shobon:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The_Franz posted:

i mean you've already been called out for being an idiot but lol if you think there aren't tons of companies still running business landlines and dialup card readers

like i've encountered one within the last 48 hours

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
this is relatively mild as far as secfucks go, but pretty fun nonetheless:
https://www.cracking.com.ar/demos/ieaddressbarguess/

quote:

PROOF OF CONCEPT
With the help of an html/object tag, we can know what the user types into the address bar.

works in IE

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

ate all the Oreos posted:

that screenshot has been going around for like half a decade now and yeah it seems fake as hell to me

the bot speaks in spintax and you'd have to know what that is to replicate it, so if it is fake, it's a fake done by people that know how the bots actually operate

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

McGlockenshire posted:

the bot speaks in spintax and you'd have to know what that is to replicate it, so if it is fake, it's a fake done by people that know how the bots actually operate

i've seen (broken) spam email with similar syntax before, so it's probably not hard to come across that information

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i wrote a hotline chatbot that worked similarly around 2000 so it could just be a case of parallel invention or whatever

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jewel posted:

and in internet explorer, that won't load in the console unless you've refreshed the page after you've opened the console

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

if you're using internet explorer your account probably has no value anyways. nothing lost if it's hijacked.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

akadajet posted:

if you're using internet explorer your account probably has no value anyways. nothing lost if it's hijacked.
a scammer can easily convince some idiot gamer child that it won't work in chrome/firefox

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

McGlockenshire posted:

ehhh if i were to imagine "how a bot stores strings" that's literally the exact format i would come up with in my head (maybe with [] instead of {}, personal preference) and I have no idea what spintax is until you mentioned it, idk :shrug:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ate all the Oreos posted:

ehhh if i were to imagine "how a bot stores strings" that's literally the exact format i would come up with in my head (maybe with [] instead of {}, personal preference) and I have no idea what spintax is until you mentioned it, idk :shrug:

mfing same

for the first couple versions of Fusker, i used [] for sequences & {} for ranges until i realized that cURL was opposite so i changed it over.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

The_Franz posted:

nfc cards in the us are a chicken/egg thing. some cards had it 10 years ago and dropped it since almost no terminals had support for it and now that the terminals do support it the cards don't. not that it matters these days since apple pay makes that irrelevant.

how does apple pay make that irrelevant, do you want to make idevices mandatory or what

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hackbunny posted:

how does apple pay make that irrelevant, do you want to make idevices mandatory or what

well android pay is the exact same thing but some people have smooth enough brains to use ios

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

interrupting card chat to ask, does anyone have that SELinux video that gets shared every once in awhile?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

is Android Pay secure enough to get the card-present rates yet, or is that still an Apple Pay exclusive?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pseudorandom name posted:

is Android Pay secure enough to get the card-present rates yet, or is that still an Apple Pay exclusive?

who cares. its on the register.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

moonshine is...... posted:

interrupting card chat to ask, does anyone have that SELinux video that gets shared every once in awhile?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxjenQ31b70

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

pseudorandom name posted:

Google says it's card-present if you're at a physical store.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

McGlockenshire posted:

yeah but how did that specific response break the bot in a way where it was still sending strings but not processing them first?

if real, the bot was probably broken to begin with and it had nothing to do with the code pasted in

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

In my days of point of sale support, I was utterly staggered by the resistance to spending $300 to upgrade a broken rear end POS that looked highly unprofessional. Upscale looking store, immaculate counter, new and professional looking marketing materials and signage...then scotch tape, boogers, and a full generation of gummy human finger oils all over the last thing the shopper interacts with.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BattleMaster posted:

yeah but how did that specific response break the bot in a way where it was still sending strings but not processing them first?

if real, the bot was probably broken to begin with and it had nothing to do with the code pasted in

guessing that something in the code snippet counted as a secret debug mode flag?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

cool, haven't seen this rather obvious dos approach before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DdqTz3CW5Y

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Well, yeah, high frequency vibrations directly against a hard disk might be bad...

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

There's a youtube video of a guy from years ago just yelling at at storage array and thats enough to make the latencies spike to all hell

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they're rotating at 15k rpm, so yeah vibration is bad

e: it surprising how resilient they are given the sensitivity

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 30, 2017

• Locked thread