Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

GhostBoy posted:

I'm pretty sure these two tips are outdated. Specializing sectors into research/energy/minerals/food is why you want multiple and sector govs I'm quite sure get XP. As long as you have the minerals, upgrades are super quick even for big stacks.
- Upgrading large fleets takes much less time if you split them up and send them to separate spaceports to be upgraded.
- On sectors, there's not much benefit to having multiple. Put as many as you can into one mega-sector and give them a 5 star Governor. (Sector govs don't earn XP)

This is kinda wrong too, if you pick your settings right. Still not a bad idea to bootstrap a planet, but give them a pile of minerals and energy and they do alright.
- The AI is kinda bad at managing planets right now, for your sectors and for other empires. When you use sectors, you might want to build planets up before turning them over.

The sentiment is ok, but the numbers are off in this one. A 20 space planet is always worth it over a 9 space (actually 10 space is I believe the new minimum). Some strategic resources can be worth a bad settle just to grab, but mostly more space is more better. Frontier stations are better for just capturing space resources.
- When colonizing, consider what systems you'll get in your influence more so than the planet itself. For instance, a nine space planet that'll get you control of some nice systems with strategic resources or whatever is better than a twenty space planet that won't get you anything new.

Aside from that:

The new Traditions and Ascension perks that are tied to them means you should pick a shape for your end game kinda early. Do you want to be a master terraformer, upload your pops into robots, become psionic space wizards etc etc. Look them over at the start to get an idea.

War is still a question of having the biggest doomstack and smashing it into the others. Be careful not to get caught with a small navy, and build (upgraded) spaceports everywhere to increase your navy limit. Also mind that the cost of a navy goes up quite a bit, when it is not docked. I've lost wars because I couldn't afford to have my doomstack out and about hunting the enemy.

Do you fancy re-writing what's on there and sharing it here so I can update the page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

owl_pellet posted:

Unless you've already bought it or you are just dead set on buying it for PS3 I'm going to attempt to dissuade you from buying it on a last-gen console. I played it on the 360 and it ran terribly and looked worse. I understand that concessions needed to be made since it was probably developed for the XB1/PS4/PC first, but it really shouldn't have been allowed out the door. Gross texture/model pop-in, horrendous load times, spiky framerate. Horrible.

Plus the Trespasser DLC isn't available on PS3.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

PMush Perfect posted:

I've got a few hours in already, but talk to me about Heat Signature?
Heat Signature
  • Remember that you can quit/cancel any mission without any real penalties to you
  • Remember that if you have a mission that's no kills/no alarms/ghost/etc, you can still complete the mission if you fail the goals (you just get less money)
  • If you don't like the missions presented, you can try going to another friendly outpost
  • USE YOUR ITEMS; you'll get more, and you have to use them to really learn how to play the game
  • Those orange boxes are chests with free poo poo and you should make sure to open every one
  • Enemies marked with a small grey square are carrying extra equipment that they'll drop
  • Always hit space before leaving or returning a ship; enemies may have dropped decent equipment other than their default weapons, and they'll be lost unless you specifically mark them to be stashed
  • Subverters will open locked doors
  • If your personal mission is impossible with your loadout, play with other characters to liberate other outposts until you unlock equipment the you need to make it available in the shops (example: I had to unlock armor-piercing stuff for a mission where they all had armor)
  • Pause a lot; you can change weapons and gadgets anytime or do some cool poo poo like warp right before you're going to get hit by an unavoidable bullet
  • When paused, mouse over poo poo on the ship to find out information about it, like exploding barrels and enemy characteristics
  • Every gadget type has an entertaining way to abuse it; try and figure them out and experiment with them
  • Two-fisting any weapon, even/especially wrenches, is great for beginning and even for ending a character run
  • When you hijack a ship, some ships let you fire missiles with right click, and you can go try to gently caress up other ships that way
  • Item effects can stack, and you don't need them in hand for them to work (you can just activate them then carry something else in that hand)
  • You can disable sentries with Use if you walk up to them (I haven't tried this myself yet)
  • You can jump out of your pod in space by pressing T (I haven't tried this myself yet)

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 26, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wow some of that poo poo really ought to be in tooltips

One other: hold F to speed up time when being carried to an airlock or travelling long distances

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Centipeed posted:

Do you fancy re-writing what's on there and sharing it here so I can update the page?
Alright. Rewrote the things I mentioned, and took out a few things that are really more late-game considerations.

- The general agenda of other empires can be deduced by their trait description. Some who f.inst is a "Spiritualist Seekers" will like other spiritual empires, and a "Fanatical Purifier" is probably going to try and kill you at some point. Gifts and deliberately favorable trade deals are usually the only way at first to improve relations, until you can get a treaty which starts building trust.

- When you start making Sectors, look at their planets and see if they lend themselves to a specialization rather than just generic resources. They may have really good energy planets f.inst.

- Lasers beat armor, guns beat shields, missiles beat a little of both and are more accurate, but can be shot down by point defense. Normal guns and lasers are not point defense.

- Energy production is important, even if you have a good surplus throughout the game, a sizable late game fleet can put you in a pretty big deficit if you don't have a large production. The early game you'll probably be feeling more of a mineral squeeze but later on, you'll need energy more. Keep in mind that a fleet costs a lot more upkeep when it is not docked.

- Spaceports and spaceport upgrades boost naval capacity so you should consider building them even in sectors and upgrading them if you need more naval capacity.

- Vassalization can be a good way to boost your military power. Vassals create fleets that will follow your largest stack in wartime. At the least, they'll act as cannon fodder.

- It can very hard with no espionage mechanics to know how to counter enemy fleets, so try for a balance of defenses and the best weapons you have. Space combat is all about having the biggest doomstack, so don't split your fleet.

- Spaceport buildings with ship bonuses only affect ships built there so it can be a good idea to have all the +speed and +evade buildings on the same spaceport that also has corvette assembly yards so you can build tons of speedy dodgy corvettes quickly. Having them spread across multiple spaceports can dilute their effects and make it harder to keep track of which spaceports are good for what.

- When colonizing, generally bigger planets are better, but keep an eye on what direction you want to expand as well, and what resources are around. Settling further out and backfilling is usually not a bad idea, as that gives you control of space. You can extend border range with tech, so "pocket colonies" can reconnect up later.

- Frontier stations are a good choice for securing a strategic resource if there are only small, bad planets (or no planets) nearby. Much cheaper that a colony and doesn't increase your tradition and tech price.

- If you purge an entire planet for whatever reason, leave one pop unpurged, resettle a pop of whoever you want on that planet, then purge the last native pop. Empty planets are just that, empty, and need to be recolonized. Frontier outposts can be used to maintain control of the area, so an AI doesn't beat you to the planet, if resettling isn't an option.

- Research is stored when your scientists are busy with special projects so don't be concerned about falling behind on tech due to projects.

- Techs get much slower if you have a lot of pops so try and keep up with building and upgrading science labs. Likewise the cost of Traditions goes up with the number of colonies you have.

- Look through the Ascension Perks tied to your traditions at the start of the game, and try to pick a few to go for. Some are locked behind tech, so its helpful to decide, which type of endgame you want to pursue, so you can pick the techs as they come up.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 26, 2017

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

juliuspringle posted:

Without getting any spoilers what should I know before I play Dragon Age Inquisition for the first time? I recently found out it came out on PS3 and a physical copy is as much as a digital copy of the deluxe edition so I was gonna grab it since it feels like I'm just about finished in DA2.

If you don't gently caress around with crafting hardly at all, still do tint all your armor with plaidwave, which makes the effected armor yellow plaid. There are no other non-monochromatic tints, so outfitting you and your entire party in yellow plaid is very important, and gives you good solidarity in the cutscenes.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

GhostBoy posted:

Alright. Rewrote the things I mentioned, and took out a few things that are really more late-game considerations.

That's great, thanks. I've updated the page.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

On a real RPG kick lately so here goes:

Anything for Arena or Daggerfall? I'm playing the current releases on GoG so I think they're pretty well patched but if there's still anything gamebreaking in there I'd like to know, also any general advice would be good.

For Divinity: Original Sin 2 I *think* the main game is pretty self-explanatory (any extra tips would be helpful I guess, so I don't keep getting murdered by every drat NPC in this loving kitchen) but what I'm really looking for is a guide to the Divinity Engine 2 Editor. For whatever reason I'm having the damnedest time trying to find any tutorials or anything, everyone is gushing about the Game Master mode instead when you search for "editor". The Game Master mode is really cool but it's also really, really straightforward, I don't think anyone really needs a tutorial for drag-n-drop enemies but the actual out of game editor is beefy.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

here's another one for Heat Signature. You can press use key (default 'e') when near a guard to pickpocket the key. You can also do this from the pause menu, on the right-hand side near the remote-control options for your boarding pod. The radius for the second option (through the menu) is actually larger than the radius for the first option. The menu option is available even if the npcs are alert and hostile.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

On a real RPG kick lately so here goes:

Anything for Arena or Daggerfall? I'm playing the current releases on GoG so I think they're pretty well patched but if there's still anything gamebreaking in there I'd like to know, also any general advice would be good.

For Divinity: Original Sin 2 I *think* the main game is pretty self-explanatory (any extra tips would be helpful I guess, so I don't keep getting murdered by every drat NPC in this loving kitchen) but what I'm really looking for is a guide to the Divinity Engine 2 Editor. For whatever reason I'm having the damnedest time trying to find any tutorials or anything, everyone is gushing about the Game Master mode instead when you search for "editor". The Game Master mode is really cool but it's also really, really straightforward, I don't think anyone really needs a tutorial for drag-n-drop enemies but the actual out of game editor is beefy.

Larian has a few community guides on their page: https://docs.larian.game/Community:_Getting_Started

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

juliuspringle posted:

Without getting any spoilers what should I know before I play Dragon Age Inquisition for the first time? I recently found out it came out on PS3 and a physical copy is as much as a digital copy of the deluxe edition so I was gonna grab it since it feels like I'm just about finished in DA2.

The areas in the game are more like MMORPG areas than traditional single player games, with way way more missions in them than you should really hope to complete. Understand that leaving the first big areas you come to before you've done even half the stuff there is not only acceptable, but really what you should do.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

juliuspringle posted:

There's a quest that spans the entire game to find sparkly items strewn across the landscape. You can turn in sparklies for incremental rewards in one zone. Completing the quest requires finding every sparkly in the game, and the final reward is not worth it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Anything I need to know for Tales of Berseria?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

Anything I need to know for Tales of Berseria?

The tutorials are generally quite good, so I may be repeating a few things they mention here.

- Mastering a piece of equipment will permanently give you the items skill (the base one, not the extras you may roll) on the character. As such, hang on to gear that someone has yet to master, and swap mastered items out once they complete. It is worth it roll with sub-par gear until mastered, and usually lower level gear is quicker to master anyway.

- If you equip an item you mastered, you get double the base skill (the passive + the effect from the item).

- You still level up titles that you don't have equipped. They have many different things they track, not all of them combat related. F.inst some require you to see a certain amount of skits.

- Generally you'll want to disassemble extra gear rather than sell outright. You can always sell the products afterwards. Mind that the game will happily let you disassemble something, where you already have the 99 max of the material it gives, which wastes it. Sell the excess first.

- If you can, enhance gear to +1 before disassembling it. You get the material you used to get it to +1 back, plus something extra.

- Souls are a little obtuse, so the short version: Each soul represents 30 points. The cost of skills are taken from these points, but souls also limit your max combo chain. If you have 1 soul (and thus 30 points), you cannot chain 2 attacks, even if they cost less than 30 combined. The game makes a big faff about gaining souls via status effects (which is true, but hard to do on purpose), so mostly you gain a soul for each kill. There are a few things that can only be done at 3+ souls. I tend to trigger Break Soul (aka going into demon form) every time I'm at 4+ souls, and sometimes at 3 if I need a heal or the enemies are weak.

- If you empty your soul gauge (that is spend the points), you become more vulnerable to status effects, which may in turn decrease your max souls. Take time to guard and recover points during combat.

- Make sure you hit something when you use Break Soul to get a bonus. That's what the "Theonized X" message means. The bonus depends on what you hit.

- For weaknesses, it seems elemental weakness trumps others, so if you use an Arte that is good against fire and beast, against a beast that resists fire, you get a resist effect. The upshot of this is that I just mapped the first skill of each martial combo to a different element, so I always had a combo ready the enemy was weak (or at least neutral) to. If your Arte has 2 elements, and the target is weak to either, the Arte works well against them.

- The herbs that give permanent stat boosts respawn after a while. The plot rarely lets you stay in area long enough, but still...

- The hunts that open up after a while will generally drop an item that gives some larger game bonus, like allowing dropped gear to have an extra random skill and such. So they are worth looking into besides the money and XP. These items just have to be in your inventory to work.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
The easiest status effect to inflict with Velvet is plain ol' Stun and you can set up a non-elemental combo string just for doing that with her. In fact all your combo strings should be one element usually. I recommend Water, Fire, and Wind but you can change your combos midbattle if you need to anyways.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Almost all areas only have 4 enemies, so I would make one combo for each one, so I could take advantage of the "If you hit all their weaknesses, then all hits are critical" mechanic. It works well, but it's tedious to set up and probably overkill unless you're playing at higher difficulties or pulling large groups.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

GhostBoy posted:

Souls are a little obtuse, so the short version: Each soul represents 30 points. The cost of skills are taken from these points, but souls also limit your max combo chain. If you have 1 soul (and thus 30 points), you cannot chain 2 attacks, even if they cost less than 30 combined. The game makes a big faff about gaining souls via status effects (which is true, but hard to do on purpose), so mostly you gain a soul for each kill. There are a few things that can only be done at 3+ souls. I tend to trigger Break Soul (aka going into demon form) every time I'm at 4+ souls, and sometimes at 3 if I need a heal or the enemies are weak.

That sounds kind of complicated. I can't combo unless I've killed some enemies? And I can't use my skills without those Souls? Do artes factor into that, too?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

That sounds kind of complicated. I can't combo unless I've killed some enemies? And I can't use my skills without those Souls? Do artes factor into that, too?

You start a fight at 3 souls, and you can never go below 1, so it's not quite so punishing. And by skills I meant artes.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

For final fantasy IX, is there still a reward ie: Excalibur 2, for getting to disk 4 in 12 hours?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Nomadic Scholar posted:

For final fantasy IX, is there still a reward ie: Excalibur 2, for getting to disk 4 in 12 hours?

Yes, you still get Excalibur II, and I believe the PS4 and Steam versions even have an achievement for it.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

How is that even doable without being able to skill the FMVs? I think the closest I've seen is like 13 hours?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Nomadic Scholar posted:

How is that even doable without being able to skill the FMVs? I think the closest I've seen is like 13 hours?

A lot of mashing X to skip dialogue, skipping all non-mandatory content, and min/maxing your characters equipment and stats so that they deal 9999 every attack. A quick Google shows it sub-10 hours.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Also the re-release of FF9 comes with in-game cheats that help, from what I've read.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Did the Steam re-release of FF9 ever get its text font fixed? I remember people complaining a lot about it when it first came out. I don't remember the specifics other than it looked really bad / like one of the FF mobile games.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Did the Steam re-release of FF9 ever get its text font fixed? I remember people complaining a lot about it when it first came out. I don't remember the specifics other than it looked really bad / like one of the FF mobile games.

Not sure if it got fixed, but I played through the whole Steam version and didn't have much of a problem. You can also change the background of the boxes which makes the text a bit better looking.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

GhostBoy posted:

You start a fight at 3 souls, and you can never go below 1, so it's not quite so punishing. And by skills I meant artes.

And iirc your chance of inflicting a status effect goes up when you only have 1 soul so you can get souls back easier.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
My buddies roped me into Destiny 2. Any tips would be appreciated!

Also I heard there's some sort of currency or items I shouldn't cash-in/use until I'm level 20?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Thanks for the advice guys!

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Mayor McCheese posted:

Also I heard there's some sort of currency or items I shouldn't cash-in/use until I'm level 20?

Play the things you like. Don't worry too much. Ask your buddies for help. There's not too much you can waste, but maybe not hand stuff to the various planet people until post-story.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Mayor McCheese posted:

Anything that creates or upgrades equipment will produce stronger versions at 20 because it will scale to your level. So it's always better to just pick up new stuff rather than waste resources until then.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Got any tips for Atelier Rorona Plus? I've been having a fun time with what little I've played, nice and laid back.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

They are specifically refering to milestone quests that say the reward is puple colored "powerful gear".

The reason for this is until light level 265 the game gives you new gear in ever increasing light levels until soft capping at 265. After that point the only way to get gear higher than 265 is to do things which grant powerful gear. This gear spawns at I want to say 5 or so points higher than your current light level, so if youre below 265 youre just wasting it. As your light level moves up over 265 your softcap keeps moving with you to whatever your light level is so you can fill in missing pieces with new gear after getting the powerful gear.

Keep in mind powerful gear quests also regenerate weekly so you cant really screw yourself over if you clear those quests early, youll just make leveleing to raid light levels take slightly longer.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Are their any tips for Agents of Mayhem?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Cultural Marxist posted:

Get Allstate insurance.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks for the tips!

Woo boy, this helps a whole bunch and cleared some of my confusion. I never got into the first Destiny and my friends are new to it too, so there's quite a bit of nebulous mechanics with currencies and such I haven't quite grasped.

DanZX
May 5, 2015

Just got Yokai Watch 2 Psychic Specters . Any tips and any misseables I should know about?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Got any tips for Atelier Rorona Plus? I've been having a fun time with what little I've played, nice and laid back.

God it's egotistical to quote myself but do the tips for Rorona apply to Rorona Plus as well? While waiting for help I accidentally the first assignment.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Cultural Marxist posted:

It is not a Saint's Row game. Yes, I know it has Johnny and Pierce in it, but it's not a Saint's Row game. It does not have extensive character customization. It does not have multiplayer. It does not have a map that you can conquer block by block until you own it all. If you go into this game expecting those things, you will be disappointed.

It is, however, a game where you create a team of three heroes from a list of 12(13 with the DLC) characters that you can combine into neat synergistic combos and then go around Seoul killing baddies. Different characters are stronger against different types of enemies. Some chew through armor in seconds, others are beasts against shielded enemies. Some get boosts when fighting bosses, others are mook-mulching machines. Agents start with one trait and get another at level 10.

None of the dick jokes in this game are funny. Some of the character interactions, however, are.

Rama is awesome. Rama makes me wish Rocksteady would make a Green Arrow game so I can run around Star City and snipe fools with boxing glove arrows while solving crimes.

LEGION tech can customize your character's abilities in useful ways, but can only be acquired in procedurally generated LEGION lairs, and you will soon see every room type that is available. This is bad in that it makes doing lairs very repetitive, but can also be good if the room is filling with poison gas and you realize that you've seen this room before and you know exactly where the security terminals are to shut the gas off.

Switch characters regularly so that they can heal. Even a tanky character can be taken down fairly quickly if you aren't careful. However, don't switch characters in the middle of a MAYHEM ability, as that will end the ability early and you won't get the full benefit from it.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
[quote="“Quiet Python”" post="“476925840”"]
Excellent :words:
[/quote]

Thanks very much for this. I was fortunate in that I didn't go into it thinking it was a Saint's Row game, I think I'd be a bit less enamoured with it if I had.

As it is, I'm really enjoying it so far. Totally agree about Rama, she kicks all kinds of arse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

GhostBoy posted:

- The herbs that give permanent stat boosts respawn after a while. The plot rarely lets you stay in area long enough, but still...

Herbs do respawn, but it has nothing to do with time. There are about ~180 herbs in the game, and once you have picked enough of them that there are fewer than 50 unpicked ones, a random one you've picked regrows so you can theoretically max your stats this way, but it's pretty tedious.