Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

Speaking of Boris being an utter prick, has there ever been a campaign like Labour's current one to unseat prominent members of the government? It seems like such an obvious idea to punish those most responsible for loving the country by funnelling resources into taking their seat, but I don't remember it being done before. Some kind of gentleman's agreement to keep politics a game for the rich and powerful?
There was one by a doctor running as National Health Action (GCHQ, the 'Health' bit there is important) to unseat Hunt at the last election, and a bunch of other parties abstained. There was a minor kerfuffle in the CLP as to whether they should or not.

Also Lord Buckethead. Always Lord Buckethead.

e: 1642 - The last time a monarch enters the House of Commons. It doesn't end well.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I don't think it's a gentleman's agreement as much as it's ministers and safe seats going hand in hand and parties tending to focus their limited resources on swing targets. The big difference this time is that after 2017 a lot more ministerial seats are in play (Boris' majority went from 10k in 2015 to 5k in 2017).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This guy is actually the perfect Foreign Secretary. Donald Trump should hire him to be Secretary of State, gently caress Rex Tillerson.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

No one in Trump's administration could recite a poem from memory. I would bet my life on that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Don't be too impressed that someone from an elite public school has memorised a bunch of colonial poetry

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the Rohingya were pro-British on the Muslim-Buddhist divide-and-rule scheme of things, so of course he says that in a Buddhist temple

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Party Boat posted:

I don't think it's a gentleman's agreement as much as it's ministers and safe seats going hand in hand and parties tending to focus their limited resources on swing targets. The big difference this time is that after 2017 a lot more ministerial seats are in play (Boris' majority went from 10k in 2015 to 5k in 2017).

Amber Rudd :lol:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Julio Cruz posted:

The Tories' core support is boomers who don't realise things have changed a bit since the 1950s.

we should kill all boomers imo

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

And to think she was being touted as the next tory leader a few days before the results

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Party Boat posted:

don't count on them being in play. between the 92 and 97 elections lots of conservative names moved constituencies.

would be funny if Momentum's efforts in Uxbridge amounted to preventing a rando tory councillor joining parliament. but a win's a win

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Trevor Hale posted:

No one in Trump's administration could recite a poem from memory. I would bet my life on that.

I don't think Boris can either as it sounds like he was reading it off his phone.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well at least Boris was right about Saudi Arabia!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/sep/30/boris-johnson-caught-on-camera-reciting-kipling-in-myanmar-temple

quote:

The foreign secretary has been accused of “incredible insensitivity” after it emerged he recited part of a colonial-era Rudyard Kipling poem in front of local dignitaries while on an official visit to Myanmar in January.

Johnson’s impromptu recital was so embarrassing that the UK ambassador to Myanmar, Andrew Patrick, was forced to stop him. The incident was captured by a film crew for Channel 4 and will form part of a documentary to be broadcast on Sunday about the fitness of the MP for Uxbridge and South Ruislip to become prime minister.

The previously unbroadcast footage shows the diplomat managing to halt Johnson before he could get to the line about a “Bloomin’ idol made o’ mud/ Wot they called the Great Gawd Budd” – a reference to the Buddha.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

I'm guessing you can't see embedded tweets

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Reading propaganda about how great the British Empire was to victims of the British Empire and not understanding why it's inappropriate is the most Tory thing I could think of without Boris immediately going to the nearest brothel and ordering two of their finest prepubescent sex slaves.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/913991378870444032

"The crucial thing I want to get over about Brexit is that it is going to be great and we need to believe in ourselves and believe we can do it. It is unstoppable."

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

jabby posted:

Have to agree with this. According to the statistics the baby boomer generation spent more and had a better standard of living than the previous generation when they were young, and now they're old they spend more and have a better standard of living than the generation after them. They have always been on top regardless of where they were in the age bracket.

https://twitter.com/TorstenBell/status/914036277032431616

The guardian has a couple of articles about that report as well: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/sep/29/baby-boomers-are-enjoying-a-second-bite-of-the-economic-cherry

quote:

This view of the world has not gone unchallenged. The millennials might not be seeing the same sort of growth in real incomes as their parents and grandparents did, but they are still having a grand old time, streaming their music on Spotify, jetting off for weekend breaks in Budapest and eating avocado on toast before heading off to the movies.

A study of consumption data stretching back to 1963, carried out by experts at Loughborough University for the Resolution Foundation, puts this theory to the test and finds it wanting. There is nothing in the evidence to suggest that the young are spendthrifts frittering away their money.

The real story is that the baby boomer generation have been on the winning side both when they were young and now that they are getting older. Young people are, by contrast, being squeezed in two ways – their incomes are not rising nearly as rapidly as was the case in the past, and more of that income is being spent on housing.

and https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/sep/29/tories-risk-permament-loss-of-youth-vote-says-willetts

quote:

Willetts said: “It is sometimes said that the great technological improvements of recent decades mean that young people enjoy a far higher living standard than previous generations. Our new research shatters this idea. Not only are young people earning less, they’re also spending less too, especially as housing takes up ever more of their outgoings.

“My generation has enjoyed riding the crest of a huge consumer boom over the last 50 years. In the 1980s, when we were in our youth, we had more spending power than any other age group. Fast forward 30 years and we’re still the biggest spenders.”

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of Boris, since his last Brexit intervention seems to have got him a little of what he wanted, he's trying to sabotage efforts to keep us from crashing straight out of the Single Market.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/AMDWaters/status/913867297105879040

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Is that a cumulative score or just today's breakdown?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Speaking of Boris, since his last Brexit intervention seems to have got him a little of what he wanted, he's trying to sabotage efforts to keep us from crashing straight out of the Single Market.

I think we can stop talking about Boris now. It's blatantly obvious that he's trying to get sacked so he can challenge May, and he'll say or do anything to make that happen.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

This is actually great. Her whole twitter feed is golden

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

I think we can stop talking about Boris now. It's blatantly obvious that he's trying to get sacked so he can challenge May, and he'll say or do anything to make that happen.

Yes, but he's also the Foreign Secretary, and May keeps making concessions to him rather than firing him.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Isn't it wonderful? The Foreign Secretary is blatantly trying to sabotage the country's international reputation in order to get himself sacked, and the PM won't sack him because she's more concerned about her own skin than her government's international standing and relationships.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

communism bitch posted:

Isn't it wonderful? The Foreign Secretary is blatantly trying to sabotage the country's international reputation in order to get himself sacked, and the PM won't sack him because she's more concerned about her own skin than her government's international standing and relationships.

what a time to be alive

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

boris getting sacked and losing the leadership election would be insanely good

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can't read this in anything other than James Alexander Gordon's voice.

Barclay's Premier League:
Manchester City three, Sunderland nil.
Harakat-Ul-Jihad-Ul-Islami one, Reading nil.

ronya posted:

the Rohingya were pro-British on the Muslim-Buddhist divide-and-rule scheme of things, so of course he says that in a Buddhist temple
The All-India Muslim League were pro-British on the Muslim-Hindu divide, but Britain is good at pissing off both friends and enemies.

communism bitch posted:

Best possible result is that Burma stops genociding their Muslim minority and starts genociding their blond public schoolboy dipshit minority.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Related: apparently Paul Golding, grand wizard of Britain First, put up an FB post stating that they were getting ready for legal action against UKIP for their blatant theft of the BF logo.

The post disappeared in a puff of ridicule.

(Doing an attachment thing because phoneposting. Dunno if work)

e: yay!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Britian First's graphic designers have got to be kicking themselves that they didn't think of incoporating the bars of the union jack into the lion's mane.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

communism bitch posted:

Britian First's graphic designers have got to be kicking themselves that they didn't think of incoporating the bars of the union jack into the lion's mane.

Either way they deserve a kicking

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Britain First's one looks like it was based on the thundercats logo.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Is it just me, or does the BF logo look a lot more like Lion-O than a real lion?

e: lol, not just me then

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
In "of course it's Goldsmiths" news, apparently showing freshers the local takeaways is culturally appropriating the working class, according to the woman who tried to get That's-So-Raven sacked from the American version of Loose Women.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Looke posted:

This is actually great. Her whole twitter feed is golden

https://twitter.com/AMDWaters/status/914027703912796161

:stare:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
^holy loving poo poo lol, I was just telling my gf last night that Ukip nearly elected a fash leader

Ukips logo just reminds me of a bank or something instead of a political party

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
The whole food cultural appropriation debate is the one of the most stupid things I've come across.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Why isn't aren't they using a proud british animal as their logo, such as...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Britain First's one looks like it was based on the thundercats logo.

It's literally a generic public-domain clip-art piece that turns up everywhere - once you see it you can't un-see it. I've noticed it used in an estate agents logo, on knock-off Aprilia Racing kit, and for a local five-a-side league.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lunar Suite posted:

Like all great British icons we stole it fair and square and if the Plantaganets want it back they can get in the queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lunar Suite posted:

• Locked thread