Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

I think you're the only player that could engage the Kit Fox this turn without alerting further enemies, and you'd need something like both lasers and a kick all connecting on the same leg to kill it for sure. (Barring lucky ammo/engine/gyro crits).

BANDERSNATCH

If I move to 1146/7 (on mobile, can't check map, mean the hex directly in front of Falcon), would I have LOS to add LRM support against the Kit Fox? I realize it would be a near alpha strike and heat would skyrocket, but if ultra-violence is the order of the day, then by god, I will apply all the violence I can. Also, should I bother kicking the Falcon if I do that? I mean, it'd be RIGHT THERE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
1147 (Right in front of the Falcon) baaarely does not have LoS to the Kit Fox by my MS Paint based reckoning.

I think you're pretty well set just running right up to the falcon and unloading two slugs and all your lasers in to it. If the Cent goes for the Parash, you'll need the slug ammo to have a chance for blowing sections off, because unlike the Kit Fox the Falcon has enough armor to make two loads of cluster not do a whole lot.

As for kicking, there's two options. You can play it safe, stay out of kick range, and safeguard you leg armor. There's not a very good chance that this really matters, because the Falcon likely dies in the shooting phase with you, two roughnecks, the Sentinel, and the Von Rohrs shooting at it, but, remember what PTN mentioned about the player path to victory being based on conserving their armor- You're a heavy with lots of firepower, but relatively little armor for your weight. The 10 ton lighter Roughnecks have more armor than you do. If the Falcon did somehow survive the shooting phase, it can dent your leg armor enough to give some clan weapons the ability to breach it entirely in one shot.

(Aw who am I kidding, you may as well 100% advance right in to melee range and give that kick order, just in case).

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Sentinel

Consensus check time. A plan is taking shape for us to:

1. Engage the Falcon (both Roughnecks, Bandersnatch, Sentinel, Mongoose, Charger, Von Rohrs)

2. Engage the Parash (Centurion, Hitman, Spider)

3. Draw the Kit Fox south (Von Rohrs and both Roughnecks will need to pull south to give it room to follow)

4. Under no circumstances cross the 1042-2336 line this turn, and the next if the scout stays on its patrol route

Is this sounding good to everyone? Call out your destination hexes, (I'm headed for 1150) we can't afford any pileups.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

If the Spider does go after the Parash, I'd suggest doing an extra zigzag while jumping 10 and landing out of Melee range.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ardlen posted:

If the Spider does go after the Parash, I'd suggest doing an extra zigzag while jumping 10 and landing out of Melee range.

This is a good call!

Mary Annette posted:

3. Draw the Kit Fox south (Von Rohrs and both Roughnecks will need to pull south to give it room to follow)

One thing to note for the Roughnecks and Von Rohrs is that even though you're only looking to all conga line south one hex, Strobe and Ravernn might want to do something like ending your movement facing the 11 line of hexes. You can still shoot south, but if you have to turn and run north to chase, like in case the kit fox doesn't just blunder in straight after you, it'll give you an extra MP to play with.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Roughneck "Frosty"

I'm not moving anywhere this turn. If the Kit Fox blunders into me, I'm likely not moving anywhere next turn, either. That could easily happen if both the other Roughneck and the Von Rohrs move south a hex or two. We'll still get MAXIMUM OVERKILL :black101: on the Falcon, and the Kit Fox, if it blunders into me, will end with a +1 TMM at melee range of four MLs and two Battle Fists :black101: that would love to make its acquaintance. At that point, my lasers and fists would be hitting on 4s. I'll take the paltry damage the Kit Fox can dish out for that.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Spider

For the Nimble Jumper bonus to kick in, do I explicitly need to zig-zag for the bonus, or is just changing direction so that I'm not going in a completely straight line from point A to point B enough?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

Spider

For the Nimble Jumper bonus to kick in, do I explicitly need to zig-zag for the bonus, or is just changing direction so that I'm not going in a completely straight line from point A to point B enough?

You have to include a zig-zag. Anything that would be a 100% normal jump path for another unit doesn't count.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Gwaihir posted:

especially since the Parash might keep coming in. It can't see the Falcon, it just has two of you on it's Active Probe. It doesn't know there's actually 9 mechs right around the corner yet.

Uh? No? The Parash doesn't see poo poo with its Probe because it's being double ECM'd. The bander and my centurion have ECM running, so anything in it's probe range is under a pair of ECM's. It's status on the last post was also 'Patrolling' not suspicious or alerted or seeking. That Parash doesn't suspect poo poo and even if the falcon or kitfox were to explode right where they are, the parash wouldn't see a thing this turn. The big green roughneck may need to get out of the probe bubble though because of the kitfox's eccm. but stepping one hex east ought to do the trick. Meanwhile my Cent is perfectly safe from probing due to two ECM's vs its one ECCM.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 30, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You're being double ECCMed. The Kit Fox is close enough for a little overlap, it's detected the Roughnecks.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's listed under your secondaries:
- - Parash (3 turns remaining (alerted via active probe))

I think you're right that it doesn't know specifically what's there (Depending on the moves players make, there are multiple suites covering GoonForce), but it is listed as suspicious and units with probes *do* know when they're being jammed.

They may be rookies but even they'll know that hostile jammers don't just walk around behind buildings by themselves.

e: I think technically there still should be more coverage on the roughnecks than there are ECCMs on those hexes, but it doesn't really matter because the probe equipped mechs still know they're being jammed by something regardless.

(And it's not like any of them have gear that gets turned off by ECM anyhow, aside from the probes.)

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 30, 2017

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mary Annette posted:

Sentinel

Consensus check time. A plan is taking shape for us to:

1. Engage the Falcon (both Roughnecks, Bandersnatch, Sentinel, Mongoose, Charger, Von Rohrs)

2. Engage the Parash (Centurion, Hitman, Spider)

4. Under no circumstances cross the 1042-2336 line this turn, and the next if the scout stays on its patrol route

Is this sounding good to everyone? Call out your destination hexes, (I'm headed for 1150) we can't afford any pileups.

Spider

Sounds good to me. Moving to 0645 and lighting up the Parash.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Quickdraw

Ok, looks like we have our gameplan in place. I'll be holding position this turn. Based on the movement patterns of the scouts on the right side of the map, I should be free to move next turn.

Hopefully the Kit Fox moves south into the developing furball.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Charger

Am I still facing south, or northwest as I whined restated from my last movement order?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You're facing hex 1342. This is the sort of thing you want to PM / e-mail me, there's a good chance I'll miss it otherwise.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I'm starting to wonder how Poptarts will write the fluff of a commander mech face palming over dumb clanners when we're a even bigger bunch of gently caress ups.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You're not gently caress-ups. :saddowns:

I just wanted to make you aware, when I'm at work I might miss a question so if I flub a movement order it's best to message me directly.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Not yet... I'm sure in a few turns some mech'll be walking down the streets with its pants on its head firing wildly into the air.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jade Star posted:

Not yet... I'm sure in a few turns some mech'll be walking down the streets with its pants on its head firing wildly into the air.
I am impressed that this has not started already.

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!
Mongoose/Hitman

I'm gonna send both of my mechs after the Parash. Gonna put the Hitman in 0748 and the Mongoose in 0649.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jade Star posted:

For that to happen someone would have to make mech-scale pants, although if they were made it'd probably be with that exact use in mind.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
This month I will be donating all of my discretionary entertainment budget to help the people of Puerto Rico, and I wanted to encourage everyone who can afford to give even a little to do the same.

Donation links for the interested. The first can also be used to donate to help the Mexico City efforts, which is also a worthy cause.

https://hispanicfederation.org/unidos/

http://unidosporpuertorico.com/en/

President Racist Shitbag Donald Trump may be willing to turn his back on dying Americans, but I'm not.

Edited for clarity

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

PoptartsNinja posted:

This month I will be donating all of my discretionary entertainment budget to help the people of Puerto Rico, and I wanted to encourage everyone who can afford to give even a little to do the same.

Donation links for the interested. The first can also be used to donate to help the Mexico City efforts, which is also a worthy cause.

President Racist Shitbag Donald Trump may be willing to turn his back on dying Americans, but I'm not.

Edited for clarity

Same here. I cannot believe how bad how quickly all of this has become.

Speaking of the game, Von Rohrs is going to attempt to shift down one hex to 1044 1045 and throw some attacks into the Falcon. Sorry about leaving the Charger and Quickdraw without shots this turn, but there'll be plenty of blood soon.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 30, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

raverrn posted:

Same here. I cannot believe how bad how quickly all of this has become.

Speaking of the game, Von Rohrs is going to attempt to shift down one hex to 1044 and throw some attacks into the Falcon. Sorry about leaving the Charger and Quickdraw without shots this turn, but there'll be plenty of blood soon.

I think the roughneck in front of you said he's not moving, so you probably need to head 2 hexes south.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That is correct.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

raverrn posted:

Sorry about leaving the Charger and Quickdraw without shots this turn, but there'll be plenty of blood soon.

Charger can absolutely get stuck in on the Falcon if it wants to.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

+1 :patriot:

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Roughneck DSI

I know it violates Battletech Law, but I think I may just stand still and shoot this turn. Looking at positioning, I think I'm in a decent position, there's no real move that lets me get out of the firing arc of the mech targeting me, and if needed, I can lay down some good fire from right here.

Contingency to not fire if the 'enemy mech if destroyed, obviously.

Thoughts, other Mechwarriors?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That means the Von Rohrs needs to move three hexes south to get out of the Kit Fox's line of sight, which would put it in punching range of the Falcon if by some miracle we manage to not obliterate it from existence.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Strobe posted:

That means the Von Rohrs needs to move three hexes south to get out of the Kit Fox's line of sight, which would put it in punching range of the Falcon if by some miracle we manage to not obliterate it from existence.
It could also move to 1146 to stay out of melee range - unless someone else has claimed it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edited for clarity

Donated, thanks for posting this

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Von Rohrs is the best one to get at point blank, it has reduced penalties to minimum range on it's ppc, unlike the roughneck's various weapons.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edited for clarity

Donating, thanks for the reminder.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

GhostStalker posted:

Donating, thanks for the reminder.
Same here.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edited for clarity

In addition to this, can I throw out a request for thread watchers (or at least ones who are in the United States) to, come Monday, make some phone calls to their Senators and their district's Representative? The Capitol Switchboard is (202) 224-3121, and people can find who they are a constituent of at house.gov or senate.gov if they aren't sure.

PR needs help right now, and I'm going to throw in a few bucks even though I don't have much to spare. But the Feds need to do more too, and Congress needs to hear it. Not only that, but they need to hear that they'll be paying a price if they skimp out on long-term rebuilding of Puerto Rico, too. Puerto Rico's going to need a lot of long-term attention just to get back to where it was. So people should make some calls. Even if your Senators or your Rep are absolute shitheads, call 'em anyway.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Fraction Jackson posted:

Even if your Senators or your Rep are absolute shitheads, call 'em anyway.

Call 'em, especially if they're shitheads.

Thanks for the tip, will do my part from the 45th Congressional district of California.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Orders sent, posted here for posterity:

Delay shooting until after the Centurion and Roughnecks fire, if that means I have to delay movement as well, that's fine. Not sure how the turn's order of operations plays out.

MOVEMENT:
Walk to Hex 1346 (1mp)
Turn 1 hex facing towards Hex 1246 (1mp)
Walk to Hex 1147 (2mp)
Contingency: In the event another player occupies Hex 1147 before I do, than stop short in Hex 1246

SHOOTING:
Contingency #1: If the Falcon is alive when my turn to fire comes around;
Fire all four Medium Lasers at the Falcon in Hex 1047
Fire both LBX guns loaded with Slug ammo at the Falcon in Hex 1047
Contingency #1A: If the Falcon is alive during physical combat phase AND I am in Hex 1147;
Kick the Falcon in Hex 1047
Contingency #2: If the Kit Fox in 0941 is within LOS;
Fire all three LRM systems at the Kit Fox in Hex 0941

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Just a heads up that the Kit Fox already moved, since it's not an ace you don't need to worry about it coming in to los during your shooting phase. (Not like there's anything wrong with having contingencies, that's just one contingency that isn't happening this time :) )

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

Just a heads up that the Kit Fox already moved, since it's not an ace you don't need to worry about it coming in to los during your shooting phase. (Not like there's anything wrong with having contingencies, that's just one contingency that isn't happening this time :) )

Yeah, I know you said it most likely wasn't in LOS, but what are the rules for determining that? That alley looks like a decently clear shot to me (ignoring all my meatbuddies populating it). I figured any early damage I might possibly be able to get on it is worthwhile, regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Hey PopTarts, will you be continuing with Let's Reads of the Battletech books? I could take a crack at it. Can't promise I'll be properly scathing, but you never know what might pop out if you look at the books critically rather than reading them for fun...

• Locked thread