Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I have a hard time taking Trump seriously as a master manipulator. He's a tasteless bastard that wants other rich people to think of him as classy. And even as president they don't like him.

If the media went a day or two without talking about him he'd probably nuke the entire planet just for attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

quote:

milk milk lemonade posted:
Would everyone shut the gently caress up about politics in the basketball thread and post a funny tweet or IG thanks 🙏

I was thinking that this is still kinda sufficiently in the basketball orbit but I dunno what do people think?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
http://www.crmvet.org/docs/60s_crm_public-opinion.pdf

Don't worry about 'public opinion' or what the 'optics' are. Protest justly and history will prove you right.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Entertainment in general seems for some reason particularly susceptible to the "stick to sports!" or "stick to movies/tv!" reaction even though people in literally every other profession have no problem sharing their own views in various forums be they public or private

Imagine Lebron telling some dude to stick to fixing cars or stick to punching out spreadsheets

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Intruder posted:

Entertainment in general seems for some reason particularly susceptible to the "stick to sports!" or "stick to movies/tv!" reaction even though people in literally every other profession have no problem sharing their own views in various forums be they public or private

Imagine Lebron telling some dude to stick to fixing cars or stick to punching out spreadsheets

Speaking specifically about sports (I'm not so confident in speaking about other entertainment), I think it's that sports irreducibly trades in sympathy. For all other reasons you may be watching and participating as a fan, at the end of the day you're not just cheering for (e.g.) LeBron, but you're investing yourself in his personal success. LeBron making an unignorable political statement — be it about Trump or Trayvon or racism in general — will force some fans to confront the fact that they're not meaningfully allied with LeBron, and what they value and he values are different. It creates some sort of imaginative resistance.

There's probably also something about pro sports spectacle mediating civic participation, but I guess that's where my mind is at now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hand Knit posted:

I was thinking that this is still kinda sufficiently in the basketball orbit but I dunno what do people think?

The discussion has seemed civil and there's plenty of basketball chat not being drowned out. Invisible hand working.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Intruder posted:

It's almost like film celebrities and sports figures have a larger platform than the local mechanic. I guarantee if a bunch of athletes were constantly talking about how great Trump was, they'd be told to stick to sports or worse. It's happened in this very forum.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

nwo hatchet man posted:

It's almost like film celebrities and sports figures have a larger platform than the local mechanic. I guarantee if a bunch of athletes were constantly talking about how great Trump was, they'd be told to stick to sports or worse. It's happened in this very forum.

There's not a single athlete here. Ridiculous

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Time to doxx myself, I am Carlos Boozer

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

R.D. Mangles posted:

How serendipitous! I am the manufacturer of Bigen hair coloring for men and would like to get an endorsement quote for our packaging.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Cool Buff Man posted:

There's not a single athlete here. Ridiculous

im a posting athlete

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
For the thunder and rocket fans out there let's all bow our heads and appreciate how far we've came since this dreadful day http://www.espn.com/nba/game?gameId=400578436

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

R.D. Mangles posted:

Thanks for screwing over a blind man bud, Lebron could have used your help back then.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Rip Giannis' dad

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I'm Wang Zhi Zhi

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

the next great social media party will be when we find all their Yelp profiles

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Ghost Dog posted:

i cant predict elections and im not gonna argue about why exactly we are in this situation despite the fact that everyone hates cheetoh hitler but the only actual metrics we have for what you are talking about all say the polar opposite of what you are. he is not spinning things in his favor, hes steadily losing support on every single issue he touches. it puts the lie to this idea that politically active athletes are somehow poisoning the well. i guess his "groundswell of support" is that 25% of people

The turnout is so low in US Elections that if a candidate could guarantee 25% of the population vote for them he or she would probably win all 50 states. Neither candidate in last election even got close to 25%. People conflate wide polls of approval with election results which are usually head-to-head contests between two extremely unpopular people.

tanglewood1420 posted:

http://www.crmvet.org/docs/60s_crm_public-opinion.pdf

Don't worry about 'public opinion' or what the 'optics' are. Protest justly and history will prove you right.

This is totally ignoring the role that class plays in these kinds of debates in the public. Working class black people protesting against laws that literally segregate them out of making a living does indeed have much different "optics" than millionaire athletes protesting generalized societal oppression.

-- Source

Many other polling agencies of all political stripes ran polls in the past week and none of the ones I've seen have come in marginally different. These are the kind of results the NBA owners are looking at and making business decisions about. The most visible coaches and players in the league are still allowed to publicly make very political comments as individuals and the league office is fully supporting of them, so again, it's not analogous at all to either the 1960s or the reality of most working class people of any race today who would likely be fired for political protest at work.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
"Don't worry about opinion polling in response to protests, it doesn't matter"

"Here are some opinion polls that prove you wrong"

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Millionaire athletes do not have to worry about police brutality even if they are minorities and they shouldn't protest it because of the optics.

Also, who is Thabo Sefolosha?

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

tanglewood1420 posted:

"Don't worry about opinion polling in response to protests, it doesn't matter"

"Here are some opinion polls that prove you wrong"

i may only have 1/1000th of a percent support, but since turnout is below 50% im 50 times More Likely To Win.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Brolander posted:

im a posting athlete

I made the Tri-Parish team in high school and have only gotten better since then.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Libertine posted:

The turnout is so low in US Elections that if a candidate could guarantee 25% of the population vote for them he or she would probably win all 50 states. Neither candidate in last election even got close to 25%. People conflate wide polls of approval with election results which are usually head-to-head contests between two extremely unpopular people.

the only person conflating them is you btw. and very badly.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

Because it's loving trash?

Well sure, but it's the same sort of trash that's always made? Seemed like everybody all outraged-up because they found an overflowing bag of trash in the trash can.

I'm always a bit surprised when folks don't watch every commercial at least a bit skeptical, if not antagonistic. To me, it's pretty impossible to watch TV ads and think anything but, "how are they lying to me here?" I mean, when I was younger the big food companies making the cookies for kids were the same conglomerate as was selling cigarettes claiming they were risk free. And genocidal dictators still hire literally the same image consultants as Taco Bell and Nike. PR orgs like Burson & Marsteller, Young & Rubicam, they tend to show up managing things after someone's committed an atrocity. They're the reason you think Tylenol is safe when it's responsible for more ODs than any other medication. They're the reason there are still Important Questions to Be Considered Regarding Fracking, No Evidence It's That Bad. They showed up for BP after the oil platform explosion, for Union Carbide after the Bhopal explosion, the power companies after Three Mile Island, they've represented murderous dictatorships in Argentina, Romania, Indonesia, basically every darn evil thing in the last 30 years and also they make regular ads.

It's like, these people work a profession daily servicing the world's most evil causes. Tactlessly failing to apprehend the drive behind moral movements is such a venial sin.

"If you're in marketing or advertising--kill yourself." still applies, although it's not nearly as shocking a phrase as it used to be.

Nick I heard Young Dolph got shot again is everyone in Memphis okay? I mean emotionally

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

ChickenMedium posted:

How serendipitous! I am the manufacturer of Bigen hair coloring for men and would like to get an endorsement quote for our packaging.

Same, but for Marks-A-Lot

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Jota posted:

Millionaire athletes do not have to worry about police brutality even if they are minorities and they shouldn't protest it because of the optics.

Well that's ignorant. We should all be worried about police brutality. There has been at least one instance of police mistreating a professional athlete. But I think (hope) you're being facetious anyways.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

UPDATE 2:35 PM ET: Per ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, who had the original report, Schröder was arrested along with several individuals after a fight at 6am, a hookah bar in the Brookhaven neighborhood of Atlanta. From Wojnarowski’s report:

The report says a security camera caught Schroder and several individuals in a heated exchange with the victim. The report says Schroder initiated physical contact by shoving the victim. The video also showed Schroder and the individuals striking the victim with their hands and feet, according to the report. Security intervened and pushed Schroder and the other individuals away from the victim, the report says.

The victim sustained scratches to his right knee and complained of right ankle pain, according to the report.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

A hookah bar? Is Dennis 15?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I mean I know state laws and stuff are different but it's been two or three years since the Morris twins beat the gently caress out of that guy for dating their mom and its still unresolved legally/the league didn't put out any punishment so I have a hard time seeing this affecting Schroder, this season anyways.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

A hookah bar? Is Dennis 15?

Nah just German

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Zogo posted:

That's true but that's a different issue. I never said most Americans like his tweets. Only ~10% of Ds want him to tweet according to that poll. When it comes to election day I don't believe there will be many voters going into the booth saying "I was going to vote for Trump but he sent too many tweets."

He's got tricks up his sleeve and will easily use the media again in 2020 if he wants. I do believe he'll continue using sports/celebrity feuds to stoke things as he's done WWE wrestling in the past. I remember last November and how much confusion, shock and disbelief there was when he won and it seems like it's already been forgotten and he's already being underestimated again.

:allears:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Libertine posted:

This is totally ignoring the role that class plays in these kinds of debates in the public. Working class black people protesting against laws that literally segregate them out of making a living does indeed have much different "optics" than millionaire athletes protesting generalized societal oppression.

-- Source

Many other polling agencies of all political stripes ran polls in the past week and none of the ones I've seen have come in marginally different. These are the kind of results the NBA owners are looking at and making business decisions about. The most visible coaches and players in the league are still allowed to publicly make very political comments as individuals and the league office is fully supporting of them, so again, it's not analogous at all to either the 1960s or the reality of most working class people of any race today who would likely be fired for political protest at work.

Thy both got ~30% of eligible voters actually, which is also probably the sample pop for those surveys. So yes the people who disapprove are probably mostly democratic, third party, nor non voters but it seems that a not insignificant proportion of Trump
voters are turned off - probably mostly Republican snobs who would never vote otherwise, but it may dampen turnout a bit.

EvanTH posted:

Well sure, but it's the same sort of trash that's always made? Seemed like everybody all outraged-up because they found an overflowing bag of trash in the trash can.

I agree but the deal with that commercial was that for 15 minutes some people stopped eating the trash can and put on the glasses.

Zogo posted:

Charles Barkley on new schedule: “These poor babies can’t play back-to-back games”
https://sports.yahoo.com/charles-barkley-schedule-poor-babies-114104592.html

Millions of people who voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012 voted for Trump in 2016. That's part of how he won.

Any evidence for this assertion? Turnout was down, he got a lower % of the vote than Romney, and population growth was highest in states he (and republicans generally) won (meaning elevated electoral votes without any necessary corresponding growth in voters). The legendary working class Obama counties (like here in WV) went Republican largely because turnout collapsed. Evidence of both candidates cheating to goowe their totals and they still had a participation rate drop, that's not a sign of a realignments it's a sign of collapse.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/914168897477251078

Doesn't sound like a huge deal but losing any ground in the bloodbath West probably isn't good

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

morestuff posted:

Doesn't sound like a huge deal but losing any ground in the bloodbath West probably isn't good

Pop firing a warning shot in the Rest Wars. Prepare for made up injuries on a new and amazing level

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/913931155732234240

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spite posted:

I have a hard time taking Trump seriously as a master manipulator. He's a tasteless bastard that wants other rich people to think of him as classy. And even as president they don't like him.

If the media went a day or two without talking about him he'd probably nuke the entire planet just for attention.

I mean, you don't have to be a genius to hit on an extremely effective marketing strategy. But he's not fully stupid or anything, just one of the world's most relentless egomaniacs.

it's kinda hilarious than the current President Of The Most Powerful Nation On Earth was one of the no-chance fringe candidate of Actual Con Artists* who run their campaigns as a (somewhat common) scam to get free national news advertisement, promote a book, accept a fuckload of contributions then shutter your campaign and deposit the balance into your personal charity (Gingrich has done this like every Primary since the early 90s). But then all the other candidates were even more terrible and his opposition helped promote him because they thought he'd be easy to beat.

We live in a very stupid and corrupt reality

*now the preferred nomenclature over gendered terms such as con-man or con-ma'am

The Maestro posted:

Well that's ignorant. We should all be worried about police brutality. There has been at least one instance of police mistreating a professional athlete. But I think (hope) you're being facetious anyways.

haha please don't edit out punchlines before you respond to jokes

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

DeimosRising posted:

Pop firing a warning shot in the Rest Wars. Prepare for made up injuries on a new and amazing level

P.C. (Players Convalescing) culture run amok

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

DeimosRising posted:

I agree but the deal with that commercial was that for 15 minutes some people stopped eating the trash can and put on the glasses.

:geno: --         :v: :v: :v:

:geno: -> :cool:

:cool: --         :jeb: CONSUME :jeb: OBEY :jeb:

:cool: -> :wth:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Andray Blatche has gained some weight but otherwise looks good man

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Are they going to sit or stand tonight?

After the trump feud you'd think some of the warriors would. But they have their "brands" to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

morestuff posted:

This worries me because he had two separate stints earlier this calendar year of missing time due to right quad "contusions". Makes me worried about a chronic thing. He seems like the type of guy that's terrible at resting too.

• Locked thread