Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

how long before chip cards are compromised and we have to move on to giving DNA samples to buy a snickers bar :tinfoil:

If I remember correctly, the reason why the move to chip from magnetic strip is more secure is because, when you swipe the POS system takes in unencrypted account data from your card, encrypts it, and sends it on. So if the POS system is compromised your poo poo is compromised. The chip system gives the POS system already encrypted data, so you'd have to bust the encryption rather than just figuring out a man in the middle attack.

So probably about as long as it takes for someone to break the encryption that the chips are using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/kerpen/status/913877513004253184

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
lol one of the local credit unions here is having huge problems with the chips just falling the gently caress off the cards and then people take em and stick them on their own cards and presto they have your money.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

FrozenVent posted:

Wait isn't there Yet Another Healthcare vote coming? Isn't that a bad time to fire your secretary of HHS?

No but Trump is 'crafting an executive order' to fix things.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

His confirmation hearing is just a cardboard cutout of him while a tape plays "REPEAL AND REPLACE" on a loop.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

A filthy, lathery santorum

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ded posted:

No but Trump is 'crafting an executive order' to fix things.

I read that as "most excellent executive order" and heard Bill and Ted's chords.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

What I'm saying is it's OK, Mr. Carlin, we believe in you, can you come fix the timeline now please?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Mr. Mambold posted:

I read that as "most excellent executive order" and heard Bill and Ted's chords.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Only assholes sit at that drat bar anyway.

Or- or, our $40 day per diem can't tell the difference between whole foods food, and whole foods pbr

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Immanentized posted:

Or- or, our $40 day per diem can't tell the difference between whole foods food, and whole foods pbr

ok now I believe it's a solid business model to put a bar in a grocery store located in a business park

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

facialimpediment posted:

"If you can't treat someone with dignity and respect, then get out."

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/913595160214286336

Someone at the Air Force Academy Prep School wrote "go home n-" on the whiteboards of five black cadet candidates. The LTG is properly pissed and gave the Mattis-level speech above, including telling everyone in the room to grab their phones and film him so they can take his words with them.

I read about this story on The Root, a site geared toward African Americans and is apart of the Gizmodo media group of blogs. In comments section, a few users made the statement that they felt the Air Force in particular was the most racist and Christian centric of all the branches. Any truth to this, maybe in the Active Duty world?

Ive been ANG my whole time in and I've only seen how state/regional cultures as influences.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
USAF officer Corp is full of Christian weirdos. The enlisted side is home to run of the mill idiots. Aircrew fares better in terms of intelligence. Still get a few conservative duds

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/353163-san-juan-mayor-i-am-begging-begging-anyone-who-can-hear-us-to

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Mr. Mambold posted:

What I'm saying is it's OK, Mr. Carlin, we believe in you, can you come fix the timeline now please?

Mr. Mambold posted:

Much like those most excellent movies, this executive order will 'allow people to cross state lines and do many things'.

Really. That is a quote.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Tom Price resigned. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bQVc79FE5Bo

What the gently caress hahahahaha a

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
everyone in puerto rico could die and trump would say "people have told me how great we did in puerto rico"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

everyone in puerto rico could die and trump would say "people have told me how great we did in puerto rico"

He wouldn't be wrong either. People would say that.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

*Oompah loompahs roll into a white room on wheelchairs and begin circling around Health & Human Services Secretary Tom Price*

"Oompah loompah doopity doo,
I've got another puzzle for you.
Oompah loompah doopity dee,
If you are smart you'll listen to me.

What do you get when you're anti-vacCINE?
Flights on the taxpayer's dime are obSCENE!
One million dollars booking chartered jet planes.
Who is the White House, GOING. TO. BLAME?
You'll. Be. Riding. Coach. Again.

Oompah loompah doopity dah,
If you're not greedy, you will go far.
You will live in happiness too,
Like the Oompah Loompah doopity doo!"

*Oompah loompahs empty bottle of sedatives into Tom Price's mouth and ride his wheelchair out of the room*

"Doopity doo!"

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
At this point, it's pretty clear that as Trump's Katrina was going on, he was sitting at his golf club yelling about NFL players. He only realized that it was actually bad when he was watching TV.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...aa22_story.html

quote:

As Hurricane Maria made landfall on Wednesday, Sept. 20, there was a frenzy of activity publicly and privately. The next day, President Trump called local officials on the island, issued an emergency declaration and pledged that all federal resources would be directed to help.

But then for four days after that — as storm-ravaged Puerto Rico struggled for food and water amid the darkness of power outages — Trump and his top aides effectively went dark themselves.

Trump jetted to New Jersey that Thursday night to spend a long weekend at his private golf club there, save for a quick trip to Alabama for a political rally. Neither Trump nor any of his senior White House aides said a word publicly about the unfolding crisis.

Trump did hold a meeting at his golf club that Friday with half a dozen Cabinet officials — including acting Homeland Security secretary Elaine Duke, who oversees disaster response — but the gathering was to discuss his new travel ban, not the hurricane. Duke and Trump spoke briefly about Puerto Rico but did not talk again until Tuesday, an administration official said.

Administration officials would not say whether the president spoke with any other top officials involved in the storm response while in Bedminster, N.J. He spent much of his time over those four days fixated on his escalating public feuds with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, with fellow Republicans in Congress and with the National Football League over protests during the national anthem.

In Puerto Rico, meanwhile, the scope of the devastation was becoming clearer. Virtually the entire island was without power and much of it could be for weeks, officials estimated, and about half of the more than 3 million residents did not have access to clean water. Gas was in short supply, airports and ports were in disrepair, and telecommunications infrastructure had been destroyed.

After the dinner, Trump lashed out on social media. He blamed the island's financial woes and ailing infrastructure for the difficult recovery process. He also declared that efforts to provide food, water and medical care were "doing well."

On the ground in Puerto Rico, nothing could be further from the truth. It had taken until Monday — five days after Maria made landfall — for the first senior administration officials from Washington to touch down to survey the damage firsthand. And only after White House Homeland Security Adviser Tom Bossert and FEMA Director Brock Long returned to Washington did the administration leap into action.

Onward in the article there are some officials making valid points that in Texas/Florida the Feds were supporting the local governments, but in Puerto Rico, there was no functioning local government because the island was basically destroyed. Trump likely thought it was as simple as "let the locals do it and put FEMA in place as support." It's been obvious to everyone how bad it was since the 20th though and it only came to Trump's attention when he started seeing the images on TV and got mad about the coverage.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sergg posted:

*Oompah loompahs roll into a white room on wheelchairs and begin circling around Health & Human Services Secretary Tom Price*

"Oompah loompah doopity doo,
I've got another puzzle for you.
Oompah loompah doopity dee,
If you are smart you'll listen to me.

What do you get when you're anti-vacCINE?
Flights on the taxpayer's dime are obSCENE!
One million dollars booking chartered jet planes.
Who is the White House, GOING. TO. BLAME?
You'll. Be. Riding. Coach. Again.

Oompah loompah doopity dah,
If you're not greedy, you will go far.
You will live in happiness too,
Like the Oompah Loompah doopity doo!"

*Oompah loompahs empty bottle of sedatives into Tom Price's mouth and ride his wheelchair out of the room*

"Doopity doo!"

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

oompa loopa doobidy do
I've got perfect puzzle for you

What do you get when fly on a jet?
Reporters asking if you've quit your job yet?
Think you'll escape by paying a small fee?
Do you think we have an IQ, of, three?

thank you for your service

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Department of Justice demands Facebook information for "anti-adminstration activists"

This is fine. Everything is fine.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Handsome Ralph posted:

I've never been to West Point, but Annapolis is pretty nice as well.

Fold the Air Force back into the Army. Problem solved.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I feel like none of these chuckleheads have ever been in government before.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Fold the Air Force back into the Army. Problem solved.

I've been saying this for years. Make a stand-alone missile service if you must.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
http://www.kktv.com/content/news/BREAKING-Reported-active-shooter-at-the-United-States-Air-Force-Academy-448771323.html

reported shooting at academy prep school....

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Whole lot going on with Air Force prep schools these days.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

A loving day after that USAFA general dude gave a speech against bigotry and racism?

:stare:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Probably a false report phoned in

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why do they keep calling it a prep school? I thought that term was reserved for high schools

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Why do they keep calling it a prep school? I thought that term was reserved for high schools

The USAFA Preparatory School is separate from but related to USAFA itself.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
There is an Academy prep school there as well.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Aim high.

Hopefully it's a false report.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Because this is 2017 and we can't have nice realities it's gonna turn out this shooter is completely unconnected to the racist graffiti and the timing is just coincidence.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It was a false report.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/914087234869047296

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/914089003745468417

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/914089888596754434

I don't even know what to say. What a terrible person.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is a new low for him, I say again for the 35th consecutive week.

• Locked thread