Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Desk Lamp posted:

If there's one thing to be said about HTC it's that their build quality is top notch.

If you ignore years of people complaining about dust under screens and the infamous purple camera tint.

Let's not even get into the Nexus 9 with it's clicking back and light bleed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

How is the battery life of people's launch day Pixel XLs holding up? I tend to buy last year's pixel/nexus used when the new ones come out, which had been working really well up until the last few months, when my 6P's battery has gone to complete poo poo (sadly, not originally bought from the play store). If it is degrading, I'll probably just cough up for two new Pixels/XLs this year, but spending $1800 makes me sad.

I'm not actively on it that much during the day, but I do stream music from the internet to my bluetooth headphones, so both radios are going most of the day. That ends up being a pretty heavy drain.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 29, 2017

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Everyone thinking about trading in their XL's should instead consider selling it directly to me at the same price. You will have the piece of mind knowing it went to a good, gently-using (and screen protector and case using) home and get to be smug to your friends about not directly contributing to ewaste in a landfill.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Grumpwagon posted:

How is the battery life of people's launch day Pixel XLs holding up? I tend to buy last year's pixel/nexus used when the new ones come out, which had been working really well up until the last few months, when my 6P's battery has gone to complete poo poo (sadly, not originally bought from the play store). If it is degrading, I'll probably just cough up for two new Pixels/XLs this year, but spending $1800 makes me sad.

I'm not actively on it that much during the day, but I do stream music from the internet to my bluetooth headphones, so both radios are going most of the day. That ends up being a pretty heavy drain.

It's degraded a bit but not an abnormal or super noticeable amount.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Does anyone use Daydream? I bought a Cardboard a couple years ago and got 5 minutes of use out of it; wondering what - if anything - could justify the cost of the Daydream headset now that I have a compatible phone.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Everyone thinking about trading in their XL's should instead consider selling it directly to me at the same price. You will have the piece of mind knowing it went to a good, gently-using (and screen protector and case using) home and get to be smug to your friends about not directly contributing to ewaste in a landfill.

I'll sell you mine, same basic conditions as the Google store deal. Mint condition black xl 32.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

seravid posted:

Does anyone use Daydream? I bought a Cardboard a couple years ago and got 5 minutes of use out of it; wondering what - if anything - could justify the cost of the Daydream headset now that I have a compatible phone.

Nothing. VR was a fad.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I've never done a phone trade-in before. Is the Pixel trade-in just the phone itself, no accessories or anything? Getting an extra OEM charger out of the deal sounds good to me, but wasn't sure if I was missing something.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ColdPie posted:

Nothing. VR was a fad.

They told me it would be different this time :qq:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

ColdPie posted:

Nothing. VR was a fad.

Alright then, guess if I feel like spending money on a dumb accessory I'll just grab an 8bitdo controller.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Another screen protector leak:

They look almost the same size. :cripes:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So I've been thinking... The rumors say that the XL version of the Pixel 2 has a wide gamut screen, the normal one not. What are the chances that this is an IPS display with GB-r LED backlight instead of an OLED? I mean, I know the V30 has OLED, but I'm hoping that the XL2 won't.

--edit: Ah poo poo, the V30 OLED is wide gamut, too.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Grumpwagon posted:

Sounds like pretty similar usage to me and I still manage to squeeze a couple of days out of the battery when I've forgotten to charge overnight

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Combat Pretzel posted:

So I've been thinking... The rumors say that the XL version of the Pixel 2 has a wide gamut screen, the normal one not. What are the chances that this is an IPS display with GB-r LED backlight instead of an OLED? I mean, I know the V30 has OLED, but I'm hoping that the XL2 won't.

--edit: Ah poo poo, the V30 OLED is wide gamut, too.

... There are people that prefer IPS over OLED???

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'll take non-pure blacks over eventual burn-in. I use my phone a drat lot and my cadence shifted to keeping it two years. Burn-in drives me insane, I don't want it. If the displays are calibrated, there shouldn't be significant difference in colors, apart with very dark images.

In unrelated things, I'm currently watching some presentation that Google did at some Linaro conference (or whatever) about Project Treble. The guy said that it's a requirement for new phones to support running AOSP unmodified as is on new phones going forward (it's apparently another test in the vendor test suite). I guess that's good news.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

The gently caress, did anyone else get a notification late last night about a new SNL episode tonight? Why the hell did I get that?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yes the ultrawide phone screens are probably gonna see more burn in issues unless you crop videos.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'll take non-pure blacks over eventual burn-in. I use my phone a drat lot and my cadence shifted to keeping it two years. Burn-in drives me insane, I don't want it. If the displays are calibrated, there shouldn't be significant difference in colors, apart with very dark images.

In unrelated things, I'm currently watching some presentation that Google did at some Linaro conference (or whatever) about Project Treble. The guy said that it's a requirement for new phones to support running AOSP unmodified as is on new phones going forward (it's apparently another test in the vendor test suite). I guess that's good news.

Fair enough. I haven't heard of OLED burn in on phones in a long while, including my own anecdotal evidence, but I know it's possible. I just think the on screen elements change too much to be a real threat for most people.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

DangerZoneDelux posted:

The gently caress, did anyone else get a notification late last night about a new SNL episode tonight? Why the hell did I get that?

I didn't get that, but the other day Google Now thought it was VERY IMPORTANT I knew that the Flatliners remake was in theaters.

What I get for buying a phone from an advertising company, I guess.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Just lol if you don't disable the feed entirely

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I got that poo poo. I don't recall ever searching for SNL, I mean outside of old Phil Hartman bits.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I kind of like the feed when it gets its poo poo right, but its idea of "my interests" is pretty hilarious.

(It's also hilarious when it decides that a bill I paid two weeks ago IS ALMOST DUE COME ON PAY IT HURRY UP HURRY UP)

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Don Lapre posted:

Yes the ultrawide phone screens are probably gonna see more burn in issues unless you crop videos.

Black doesn't burn in since it's just a switched off pixel.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I consider the feed to be my most used and most valuable feature of Android. The current UI is terrible but I use it often.

I also prefer IPS to OLED because dark UIs are horrible and I prefer everything to be as bright as possible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Decius posted:

It can still age unevenly. The nav buttons on my pixel along with the time and signal indicators are absolutely burned in after just a year. The rest of the nav bar area (which is usually black) is also visible sometimes with full screen images (particularly blue) because it hasn't aged as much.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

dark UIs are horrible and I prefer everything to be as bright as possible.

I agree with this in theory but I like the idea of an always on ambient display

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

I agree with this in theory but I like the idea of an always on ambient display

I agree with that in theory but only if the always on ambient display is useful rather than just an icon telling me the same thing a notification LED would.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You people are the worst.

I use my device indoors, I don't need a floodlight aimed at my retinas.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

LastInLine posted:

I also prefer IPS to OLED because dark UIs are horrible and I prefer everything to be as bright as possible.

You are awful and I hate you.

I prefer dark themes because I feel that they dim more gracefully, especially with night light functions. I'm also of the type that doesn't enjoy retina searing in the morning because I'm up before sunrise even in the upper Midwestern summer when it's light from 5am to 1030pm.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Decius posted:

Right, so the inside 16:9 area of the phone will be dimmer than the outside area over time.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Don Lapre posted:

Right, so the inside 16:9 area of the phone will be dimmer than the outside area over time.

"Over time" meaning not noticeable in over 5 years with current displays, even if you really use them a lot. At least in theory (as you can only really tell in hindsight). It's a bit like worrying over the daily write rate in SSDs outside of enterprise environments.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Decius posted:

"Over time" meaning not noticeable in over 5 years with current displays, even if you really use them a lot. At least in theory (as you can only really tell in hindsight). It's a bit like worrying over the daily write rate in SSDs outside of enterprise environments.

Like this six year old Galaxy s8

http://cdn03.androidauthority.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/aa-imgur-galaxy-s8-burn-in-840x473.jpg

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

You are awful and I hate you.

I prefer dark themes because I feel that they dim more gracefully, especially with night light functions. I'm also of the type that doesn't enjoy retina searing in the morning because I'm up before sunrise even in the upper Midwestern summer when it's light from 5am to 1030pm.

The worst dumb fad. I'm almost never awake in the daylight (it's dark when I both go to work and come home) and you'll never catch me without my bright white UIs. Autobrightness has always been good enough for me on my MacBook and phone without screwing around with the color temperature.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Autobrightness is good and works but piss mode is also good

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Decius posted:

Have you never used an OLED phone long term? My Note 2 and Nexus 6 both showed some screen burn at the one year mark.

I don't consider it to be a huge problem but that's a very subjective thing. The fact that it happens at all isn't really up for debate.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Night mode is fantastic and one of the best features Android has gotten in a long time. It's so much easier on the eyes.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

do oled panels still turn yellow over time or was that amoled

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Blue Train posted:

do oled panels still turn yellow over time or was that amoled

They effectively turn yellow, but to be more accurate it's due to the blue pixels fading the fastest. It's why companies compensated by making them slightly bigger.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

They effectively turn yellow, but to be more accurate it's due to the blue pixels fading the fastest. It's why companies compensated by making them slightly bigger.

Explains why my new phone looks blue side by side with my old one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

VR on the PC side isn't going away, but Phone based VR is probably dead especially once self contained VR arrives. Using Your phone and killing the battery in ~1hr isn't fun.

On Screen Burn in, I can't say I saw it at all on my Nexus 6P, however I didn't have the screen timeout set above 2 minutes or so and usually kept brightness at mid or lower. My mom's pixel however has burn in with the lower launcher area that's clearly visible. Her timeout was at 5 minutes or more so she always left the darn thing on and nearly maxed brightness.

Handling of the screen has a lot to do with getting burn in to show or not. Just like Plasma TVs.