Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ho boy the Zelda CDI games are bad. Its the worst kind of bad too, where not only did the developers do as tons of unpleasant design choices they could, the hardware is so poorly built that it feels like the games outside of cutscene were almsot built to the systems weaknesses.

Guy Mann posted:

That was Andy Serkis. And it makes sense if you beat the game since the ending shows that that was all memories from the pre-apocalypse world, it's kind of like how Wall-E used live action for modern humans while the characters in the story were CGI.

You dont need the ending to deduce that, its obvioud the first time it happens. Its more that it looks extremely ugly and even with it being a clumsy attempt at metaphor it clashes completely. Mad Max had similar problems for me with its photgraphs, and I hate that portion of Wall-E.

Wait that pushes us to 3 examples of using real images to represent pre apocalypse, apparently this is an artistic movement Ive never thought about before.

Barudak has a new favorite as of 15:42 on Sep 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
As a guy who likes Devil May Cry, DmC can gently caress off with its stupid, punk-rear end edgy Dante. He chugs whiskey from a bottle and lives in a trailer, he's a piece of poo poo. Classic Dante didn't have 'misery' ingrained into his character design, he liked pizza and kills demons in goofy ways

NeoDante is just this whiny gently caress who doesn't even have powers when you're not controlling him(seriously, in most cutscenes in 'the real world' NeoDante is functionally a normal human, but in the Silent Hill alternate dimension he's stronger than anything else, completely missing the "skilled fighter who is weaker than his enemies" angle for this weird superhero poo poo) and mostly stands around or gets told what to do by his brother or one of the few women the story doesn't kill. She gets beaten up a lot and there's a few rapey moments with her and villains, but she gets off easier than the pregnant woman Dante's brother shoots in the stomach with a rifle, then waits until she starts crying before he shoots her in the head. Our heroes!

The loving mop scene is just such a direct "gently caress you" after the months of the designer posting pictures of Classic Dante edited into Fight Club screenshots to prove how "stupid" the character we thought was cool for the last four games looked. If you haven't seen the loving drama they kicked up when people said their edgy teen punk bitch kid was an edgy teen punk bitch, look it up, it was idiotic how they tried to convince people "No he's totally cool you loving nerds!"

And after all that they just happen to include a joke about how New Dante has COOL HAIR, not like that OLD BITCH, OLD DANTE and yes that's what its about don't be obtuse.

Hellblade is definitely looking to be a step in the right direction but that dev was AMAZINGLY unprofessional. They would write things for Enslaved that made the editors eyes bug out; The peaceful yet scrappy hero, in the original script, at one point kicks a man off a cliff to his death for no reason other than, I quote, "to show he's tough." They're growing up, but DmC was absolutely made by a team of people who would take a cheap shot at the things 'bad' DMC fans liked and were criticizing them over.

I'll take the garlic steak burger and a milkshake, can I get the fries with no salt? My electrolytes are hosed.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Wasn't the top-down CDI game starring Zelda like, marginally less bad?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Schubalts posted:

What in the world are you going on about.

He's talking about your Dante mop hair freak out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Sure, conceptually, conceptually but either they were terrible programmers or the CDI was poo poo so it hitches and loads and just all around runs poorly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

He's also wrong, because as said, no one would have cared as much about the "oh ho ho, how silly the previous series was" gags if DmC itself had actually been fun to play. But it turned one of the more recognizable technical brawlers into a bad button-masher with a bunch of dumb invincible-enemy gimmicks and lengthy platforming sequences, interspersed with lengthy cutscenes where people just walked and talked about high-school level political musings, with the occasional high-caliber baby evacuation.

Apparently the gameplay issues were ironed out a little in the remasters, but the damage was already done by then. NT's just bad at gameplay - I liked Hellblade and I still admit the combat is serviceable at best. That's why people were tugging their collars over the DMC franchise being handed off to them, more than anything else, and they sure didn't exceed expectations.

Compare MGR: Revengeance, which was completely different from its earlier properties and made by a different studio, and no one cared because it was amazing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jukebox Hero posted:

As a guy who likes Devil May Cry, DmC can gently caress off with its stupid, punk-rear end edgy Dante. He chugs whiskey from a bottle and lives in a trailer, he's a piece of poo poo. Classic Dante didn't have 'misery' ingrained into his character design, he liked pizza and kills demons in goofy ways

Literally the first scene of DmC is Dante flying naked through the air with a slice of pizza covering his junk as he grabs his sword to kill a demon.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
He wakes up and starts drinking whiskey straight from the bottle in a dirty, lovely trailer on the docks before a big generic demon attacks and they do a few scenes referencing DMC3. The intro emphasizes that he lives in squalor and has no taste.

DMC3: RealDante almost dances out of the shower in his private residence/business office, answering the phone with a casual yet practiced response: Dante is an expert, he cares about his personal hygiene, and the multiple conscious ways he's a buffoon(when he breaks the jukebox, his love of pizza) demonstrate that his cool posturing and taunting is tempered by actual flaws that are played for both comedy and drama, instead of nondescript angst. And they actually did it on purpose; New Dante chugging whiskey from the bottle is supposed to be cool and not something a seventeen year old at a party does.

I say all this as somebody who thinks that the weapons in DmC were a taint hair away from being cool, those razor boomerangs were awesome even if they were pretty much useless; Across three playthroughs of DmC I never felt like anything but the demon axe you get first was really worth using, especially when you get its multiple ranged attacks that still do full damage....

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

The Moon Monster posted:

That was incredibly far from a freakout, actually. And holy poo poo these walls of text.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

John Murdoch posted:

Comparing Zelda's Adventure to Faces of Evil/ Wand of Gamelon (based on footage I've seen), the hit detection in ZA is worse, the digitised photos used for sprites are almost incomprehensible at times, the audio quality for dialogue is complete trash (and there are no subtitles), and the audio balance is terrible. The cutscenes are a wash between the two: you get hilariously bad Russian animation, or acting slightly below the bar of "local high school play". FoE/WoG has better in-game art, but it's difficult to tell what's a platform and what's a background object sometimes. Zelda's Adventure's backgrounds are more comprehensible, but there are still issues with identifying possible exits in some screens. Almost all of ZA's backgrounds are hideous to some degree, though.

Faces of Evil and Wand of Gamelon are better, but I still can't recommend any of them.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jukebox Hero posted:

He wakes up and starts drinking whiskey straight from the bottle in a dirty, lovely trailer on the docks before a big generic demon attacks and they do a few scenes referencing DMC3. The intro emphasizes that he lives in squalor and has no taste.

DMC3: RealDante almost dances out of the shower in his private residence/business office, answering the phone with a casual yet practiced response: Dante is an expert, he cares about his personal hygiene, and the multiple conscious ways he's a buffoon(when he breaks the jukebox, his love of pizza) demonstrate that his cool posturing and taunting is tempered by actual flaws that are played for both comedy and drama, instead of nondescript angst. And they actually did it on purpose; New Dante chugging whiskey from the bottle is supposed to be cool and not something a seventeen year old at a party does.

I say all this as somebody who thinks that the weapons in DmC were a taint hair away from being cool, those razor boomerangs were awesome even if they were pretty much useless; Across three playthroughs of DmC I never felt like anything but the demon axe you get first was really worth using, especially when you get its multiple ranged attacks that still do full damage....

It's pretty telling that you have to jump to the 3rd installment of the series to find something that isn't dumb and bad.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Good to have it confirmed that classic Dante cares about his personal hygiene. That's always something I took for in a videogame protagonist.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Good to have it confirmed that classic Dante cares about his personal hygiene. That's always something I took for in a videogame protagonist.

Well, he's gotta. White hair would show dirt pretty easily, and he went shirtless for an entire game.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
"Dante is now a smelly carny with a drinking problem who's definition of fun is abortion jokes and saying 'gently caress' a lot."

Have we forgotten "flock off, feather-face?"

I was referencing DMC3 because we were talking about Young Dante, in both old and new flavors, but we can totally contrast smelly hobo Dante's wake up call with the intro of DMC1, a somewhat roughly translated ps2 game from a console generation before DmC, where Dante shrugs off massive amounts of injury including a series trademark impalement, demonstrates huge magical and physical strength, and, again, treats the subject at hand with appropriate levels of seriousness. Dante isn't always a cocky poo poo, he just usually is.

New Dante is like half of the problems in DmC and I have so many words about how they hosed it up you will not even believe it.

Thing dragging down Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and Borderlands 2:

When you died in Borderlands 1, you popped back out at a checkpoint, money out of your wallet but otherwise that's it, get back on your way.

Borderlands 2 onwards: Any time you die, which is annoyingly easy due to the prevalence of instant death pits in a lot of the game's areas, you get the same loading screen as in BL1, plus a a new little seven second animation of your guy getting resurrected and jerking around painfully before you get control again. That's not a lot, but the whole animation is the same every time and doesn't hide a loading screen or anything so it's like they decided that "Just losing money and progress isn't enough of a punishment, make them stop playing the game for just long enough they get annoyed."

Jukebox Hero has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Sep 30, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
lmao chill the gently caress out about dmc

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

DMC3 Dante is irrelevant, it's all about DMC1 Dante.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8qG4AlK1qk

Edit: DMC4 Dante is also cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSEBAukcHaU

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Sep 30, 2017

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Jukebox Hero posted:

"Dante is now a smelly carny with a drinking problem who's definition of fun is abortion jokes and saying 'gently caress' a lot."

I was referencing DMC3 because we were talking about Young Dante, in both old and new flavors, but we can totally contrast smelly hobo Dante's wake up call with the intro of DMC1, a somewhat roughly translated ps2 game from a console generation before DmC, where Dante shrugs off massive amounts of injury including a series trademark impalement, demonstrates huge magical and physical strength, and, again, treats the subject at hand with appropriate levels of seriousness. Dante isn't always a cocky poo poo, he just usually is.

New Dante is like half of the problems in DmC and I have so many words about how they hosed it up you will not even believe it.

who gives a poo poo lmao

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

'Post game complaints but don't make them too long winded you dumb tryhards lmao'

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RareAcumen posted:

'Post game complaints but don't make them too long winded you dumb tryhards lmao'

Yeah it's definitely that and not the fact that these read like an outraged tantrum from an "offended gamer" that DmC was apparently deliberately trying to rile up.

There are lots of huge blocks of text ITT complaining about games.

DmC bad, so what?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

RareAcumen posted:

I can't believe DMC fans lost their poo poo about the series taking a hard turn into the garbage bin.

you think they'd be used to it after DMC 2 :yum:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You'd think someone had slated Undertale again.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You'd think they gave Dante a wife and son.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Jukebox Hero posted:

NeoDante is just this whiny gently caress who doesn't even have powers when you're not controlling him(seriously, in most cutscenes in 'the real world' NeoDante is functionally a normal human, but in the Silent Hill alternate dimension he's stronger than anything else, completely missing the "skilled fighter who is weaker than his enemies" angle for this weird superhero poo poo) and mostly stands around or gets told what to do by his brother or one of the few women the story doesn't kill. She gets beaten up a lot and there's a few rapey moments with her and villains, but she gets off easier than the pregnant woman Dante's brother shoots in the stomach with a rifle, then waits until she starts crying before he shoots her in the head. Our heroes!

The loving mop scene is just such a direct "gently caress you" after the months of the designer posting pictures of Classic Dante edited into Fight Club screenshots to prove how "stupid" the character we thought was cool for the last four games looked. If you haven't seen the loving drama they kicked up when people said their edgy teen punk bitch kid was an edgy teen punk bitch, look it up, it was idiotic how they tried to convince people "No he's totally cool you loving nerds!"

And after all that they just happen to include a joke about how New Dante has COOL HAIR, not like that OLD BITCH, OLD DANTE and yes that's what its about don't be obtuse.

Jukebox Hero posted:

Jukebox Hero posted:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RareAcumen posted:

You'd think they gave Dante a wife and son.

Well if the white hair was enough to set you off, sure.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

You'd think someone had slated Undertale again.

I was promised a love letter to earthbound but I received an angry rant about how I was enjoying earthbound wrong.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The thing dragging down Undertale is that Sans is Ness.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The thing dragging down Undertale is it doesn't want me to use wash

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

rodbeard posted:

I was promised a love letter to earthbound but I received an angry rant about how I was enjoying earthbound wrong.

you were

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Thank you, Jukebox, for proving my point right here in the thread.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
You're welcome.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I think it's ok people are mad about a poorly-recived reboot of a good series that effectively killed the entire franchise. Surley you have a series where if they changed the entire appearance and demeanor of the main character while making GBS threads all over what came before, then it flopped and killed the franchise, you would be sad?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I'm glad DmC flopped so hard because flipping off huge turbonerd bitches like me on purpose or not killed what interest it's lovely DLC day one DLC marketing didn't. It's almost Shakespearean.

Three reskin sets for a few weapons is something that should be in the game by default, not a preorder pack.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The two biggest problems with the modern gaming industry is that everything is too samey and nobody takes risks anymore and also that people keep changing things and doing them differently. I just want a game that is completely fresh and original while also not in any way challenging or divisive, is that too much to ask for?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
The discussion reminded me of the scenes where Silent Hill: Homecoming had Pyramid Head show up. It had the most popular monster in the series show up to do pretty much nothing but be there, in the design "popularized" by the more recent flop film, in a blatant appeal to fans and was regarded almost as poorly by SH fans as the mop bit was by DMC fans.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I haven't played DmC but maybe the fact that it was just a lovely game is what killed the franchise?

People were mad at MGS2 for the main character bait-and-switch but the game itself is extremely good so people got over it.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

The two biggest problems with the modern gaming industry is that everything is too samey and nobody takes risks anymore and also that people keep changing things and doing them differently. I just want a game that is completely fresh and original while also not in any way challenging or divisive, is that too much to ask for?

You joke but the problem is every existing franchise is slowly converging on being a first person shooter with RPG, crafting, and stealth elements. So in a way both of those gripes are kind of true at the same time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Don't forget microtransactions and also dark souls style multiplayer mechanics.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

rodbeard posted:

You joke but the problem is every existing franchise is slowly converging on being a first person shooter with RPG, crafting, and stealth elements. So in a way both of those gripes are kind of true at the same time.

You're not quite right here- it's becoming more oriented toward third-person shoulder shooters, so that they can sell more iconic character merch and have a well-defined grizzled white dad face to put on the box.

Len posted:

The thing dragging down Undertale is it doesn't want me to use wash

Wosh u SOUL

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

RyokoTK posted:

People were mad at MGS2 for the main character bait-and-switch but the game itself is extremely good so people got over it.

Dude until MGS3 came out, MGS2 was pretty universally hated for the "bullshit with the stupid anime guy." I remember entire segments on X-Play making fun of the naked Raiden parts, which was a big deal ten or whatever years ago that game was relevant, and a lot of people still criticize the bomb freezing plot, for good reason.

"People got over it" is definitely not the way I'd phrase it when there's still people arguing about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
People got over it in the sense that the franchise is still massively popular and every one of the numbered entries in MGS afterward has been successful as well. I mean, it's a loving good game. People may have whined about Raiden but it surpassed the original MGS in pretty much every way. So yeah. People got over it. DmC is bad, but a crappy main character isn't what killed the series.