Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

quiggy posted:

jesus christ why are you doing this in c++ code, make that a const size_t (or maybe a static const size_t depending on context)

itym constexpr :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Be free hackbunny

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fritz posted:

ultimately i think the question is 'what else are you gonna use', python's got a long history in scientific computing and sure it could be better but it's not loving matlab

and now if you're gonna ask why python's got that history, again go back to 1997 and tell me 'what else are you gonna use', and remember you gotta make it palatable to scientists used to fortran and matlab, and consider the alternate reality in which the other major scripting language of the day won in more fields besides bioinformatics

wait, what do bioinformatics do?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

cis autodrag posted:

Be free hackbunny

never! :negative:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

cjs: rewriting thousands of lines of objective C in portable C++ :suicide:

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

counts DNA base pairs.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

hackbunny posted:

itym constexpr :rolleyes:

oh right i always forget that's a thing because of my c++03 hellscape

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I assume perl

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

feedmegin posted:

I assume perl

you must be loving trolling :stonk:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i don't know if it's still the darling language over there but yeah, perl was the big thing for a while.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://www.biostars.org/p/62023/ - A Farewell To Bioinformatics

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the writer sure knows how to captivate lowly latvian me with "My attitude towards the subject after all my work in it can probably be best summarized thus: “gently caress you, bioinformatics. Eat poo poo and die.”"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hoo boy that lad is sure mad about his grad school or something

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

but he'll fit in computers very good i think to post like that in public with his name and poo poo

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The story of the last official Atari Jaguar game was funny

Atari wanted to make a 3D fighting game like Tekken or Virtua Fighter. They contracted it out to an engine programmer who worked on Virtua Fighter at Sega AM2. He was the only programmer on the project. The art and characters were contracted out to High Voltage Software because they had a motion capture rig.

Because Atari were in big financial trouble they kept pushing up the release date, enough that they were sending out "review copies" that were just development builds with 3 months of work on them. Atari blamed the programmer for the bad press and... stopped paying him...

for 4 months!

on the release date, he gave them an alpha build and said he'd provide the finished product once they paid his back wages. Atari said "nah" and released the alpha.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

jony neuemonic posted:

i don't know if it's still the darling language over there but yeah, perl was the big thing for a while.
Baffling, but true.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

The story of the last official Atari Jaguar game was funny

Atari wanted to make a 3D fighting game like Tekken or Virtua Fighter. They contracted it out to an engine programmer who worked on Virtua Fighter at Sega AM2. He was the only programmer on the project. The art and characters were contracted out to High Voltage Software because they had a motion capture rig.

Because Atari were in big financial trouble they kept pushing up the release date, enough that they were sending out “review copies” that were just development builds with 3 months of work on them. Atari blamed the programmer for the bad press and... stopped paying him...

for 4 months!

on the release date, he gave them an alpha build and said he’d provide the finished product once they paid his back wages. Atari said “nah” and released the alpha.

that's Atari!

(cue laugh track)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

eXtern is an Operating System that offers a unique user interface and user experiences compared to traditional systems. In addition, it is powered by JavaScript and takes advantage of the power of node modules making the possibilities of App development endless.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5tak0tHqIg

i want to curl up and DIE

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
curl does not support the die url scheme

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

http://bioperl.org

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

curl does not support the die url scheme

:golfclap:

:stonklol: (tho i must admit after r this doesnt look too bad)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
from this video you can determine that eight i7 cores will be at around 60% while your computer is idle with a single window open, but those eight cores will spike to 80% while performance is being monitored

also apparently if you want to run this operation system right now you need an internet connection for some reason, but you can't download it because the iso is hiding behind a wordpress resource limit error

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 30, 2017

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

[quote="“eschaton”" post="“476922689”"]
that’s Atari!

(cue laugh track)
[/quote]

they were stuck with so many unsold consoles you can still buy them new in box from Best Electronics (a crazy guy who bought all the warehouses out in the late 90s) for $425

the website looks like timecube but they stock just about any Atari part you could ever need, their prices are just insane for most things unless you know what you're looking for (loose cartridges are cheap)

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 30, 2017

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

they were stuck with so many unsold consoles you can still buy them new in box from Best Electronics (a crazy guy who bought all the warehouses out in the late 90s) for $425

the website looks like timecube but they stock just about any Atari part you could ever need, their prices are just insane for most things unless you know what you're looking for (loose cartridges are cheap)

i read these
http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/S5%20Super%20Pot.htm
http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/Atari%20CV%20E2%20cable.htm
and if that's anything close to typical it's a miracle anything gets made

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I work in bioinformatics now, and the thing I notice is that people tend to use whichever language they learned while they were coming up because it's the one they feel most efficient in. They're also maybe not so interested in programming as a discipline by itself so they see picking up a different programming language as a large hassle. There's also a lot of exploratory coding that happens with people trying to develop algorithms or improve on old algorithms where less rigid scripting languages can come in handy.

As well, in a lot of cases, the researchers writing this code don't have a lot of experience in software engineering. So they'll stop working on the code when it's good enough to do what they want, publish, and then never go back and optimize the code. It's not that they don't think their code can't be optimized, they just treat implementation as a kind of black box and focus on strategic improvements for whatever process they've developed. They're not thinking about stuff like, "oh, this is going to be pass by value so this giant array I've allocated is going to have to be copied and that's going to be slower so I should so something different..."

I see a lot of Perl, Python, R, and C. I also work adjacent to a guy who does a lot in Ruby. There's also some legacy Fortran stuff that's in the middle of being phased out that I, thankfully, never have to touch.

I can't say which of them is the most annoying to work with, but Perl is pretty up there since I've never bothered to learn it properly and its package management is bad. So, yeah, you should probably be grateful for just seeing some Python sometimes.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 1, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ErIog posted:

I work in bioinformatics now, and the thing I notice is that people tend to use whichever language they learned while they were coming up because it's the one they feel most efficient in. There's also a lot of exploratory coding that happens with people trying to develop algorithms or improve on old algorithms where less rigid scripting languages can come in handy.

As well, in a lot of cases, the researchers writing this code don't have a lot of experience in software engineering. So they'll stop working on the code when it's good enough to do what they want, publish, and then never go back and optimize the code. It's not that they don't think their code can't be optimized, they just treat implementation as a kind of black box and focus on strategic improvements for whatever process they've developed. They're not thinking about stuff like, "oh, this is going to be pass by value so this giant array I've allocated is going to have to be copied and that's going to be slower so I should so something different..."

I see a lot of Perl, Python, R, and C. I also work adjacent to a guy does a lot in Ruby. There's also some legacy Fortran stuff that's in the middle of being phased out that I, thankfully, never have to touch.

I can't say which of them is the most annoying to work with, but Perl is pretty up there since I've never bothered to learn it properly and its package management is bad. So, yeah, be grateful you don't have to work with a lot of Perl code.

thanks, this is legit interesting. im considering to head into bioinformatics next year, so will probably take a better look at perl if something goes through. not that i particularly like it or plan writing in it given choice - there will be stuff to learn from legacy stuff anheayd

also :rip: legacy fortran

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

fritz posted:

i read these
http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/S5%20Super%20Pot.htm
http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/Atari%20CV%20E2%20cable.htm
and if that's anything close to typical it's a miracle anything gets made

Yeah the site is written by one guy who makes fishmech look like a normie but they know their poo poo and stock good stuff. I ordered a set of their custom made replacement keyboard membranes for my 1040ST for like $12.95 that turned it from a mushy button pos into feeling like a modern keyboard

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
suppose now that I have an Atari compatible mouse, all shiny & chrome, I should get the 1040STFM up and running

after all I can just plug it into a TV, right?

the mouse:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

also found a complete binder of Manx Aztec C for Amiga a few weeks back, and today Weird Stuff had a bunch of Amiga programming books…

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

eschaton posted:

also found a complete binder of Manx Aztec C for Amiga a few weeks back, and today Weird Stuff had a bunch of Amiga programming books…

nice

[quote="“eschaton”" post="“476933638”"]
suppose now that I have an Atari compatible mouse, all shiny & chrome, I should get the 1040STFM up and running

after all I can just plug it into a TV, right?

the mouse:

[/quote]

ah but without a monitor cable you can't use the HIGH RESOLUTION DISPLAY MODE

if you have something that can write an 800K ST disk I can upload my 1040STFM boot floppy. it loads TOS 2.06 and some patches, loads Warp 9, enables disk caching, and creates a RAM disk with some utilities to it including an archiver, text editor, and PC file transfer software. requires around 1.5MB of RAM.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 1, 2017

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

jsospos

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

nice

ah but without a monitor cable you can't use the HIGH RESOLUTION DISPLAY MODE

if you have something that can write an 800K ST disk I can upload my 1040STFM boot floppy. it loads TOS 2.06 and some patches, loads Warp 9, enables disk caching, and creates a RAM disk with some utilities to it including an archiver, text editor, and PC file transfer software. requires around 1.5MB of RAM.

jesus what kind of monster st has 1.5 mb of ram

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

jesus what kind of monster st has 1.5 mb of ram

one with this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Atari-520-1040-ST-STF-STFM-Mega-ST-computer-4MB-Marpet-memory-upgrade-kit-/162645129531

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Jabor posted:

So your multiply has 16 bit inputs and a 32 bit output, yes?

Essentially there are four components you add up to make that into a 32 in/64 out multiply:

code:
A.h * B.h
     A.h * B.l
     A.l * B.h
          A.l * B.l
If your numbers are in 16.16 form, you want the middle 32 bits - i.e. A.h*B.l + A.l*B.h + (A.h*B.h << 16) + (A.l*B.l >> 16).

okay hmm, i did this. it works fine for positive numbers but acts weird for negative numbers...

code:
_FIXED_MMULT_PRODUCT:	
	;; Perform one step of a matrix multiply/accumulate on a 16.16 number.
	;; This performs the multiplication of left_row and right_row.

;; left_col = column number in the left row, multiplied by 4.
	;; left_row = register containing a pointer to the row of the left matrix
	;; right_col = column number in the right row, multiplied by 4
	;; right_row = register containing a pointer to the row of the right matrix

movei	#0,MULT_RESULT

;; A.i * B.f
	load	(LEFT_OFFSET+LEFT_ROW),TEMP1
	shrq	#16,TEMP1	;shift right 16 bits
	load	(RIGHT_OFFSET+RIGHT_ROW),TEMP2
	and	LOWORD_MASK,TEMP2	;LOWORD_MASK = 0x0000FFFF

mult	TEMP1,TEMP2
	add	TEMP2,MULT_RESULT ;accumulate

;; A.f * B.i
	and	LOWORD_MASK,TEMP1
	shrq	#16,TEMP2

mult	TEMP1,TEMP2

;; (A.i * A.i) << 16
	shrq	#16,TEMP1
	shrq	#16,TEMP2

mult	TEMP1,TEMP2
	shlq	#16,TEMP2	;shift left 16 bits

;; (A.f * A.f) >> 16
	and	LOWORD_MASK,TEMP1
	and	LOWORD_MASK,TEMP2

mult	TEMP1,TEMP2
	shrq	#16,TEMP2

add	MULT_RESULT,ACCUMULATOR
if I multiply 2 * 2, the result is correct ($00040000)
if I multiply -2 * 2, the result is correct ($FFFE0000)
if I multiply -2.5 * 1, the result is wrong ($7FFE8000). it should be $FFFD8000. it seems to happen when the negative value has a fractional value? i know why the fraction gets added and not subtracted but i don't know why bit 31 isn't set.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

[quote="“Luigi Thirty”" post="“476936433”"]
[/quote]

nice, thanks! anything can write 720KB ST floppies, they used MFM exclusively right?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

eschaton posted:

nice, thanks! anything can write 720KB ST floppies, they used MFM exclusively right?

yeah, if you have TOS 1.04 or above in ROM you can write this to a disk from a PC and boot it, a 1040STFM probably shipped with that. the benefits of being literally CP/M internally.

if you're unlucky and have TOS 1.02, you'll need to write it to an ST-formatted disk, then do yourself a favor and buy the upgraded ROMs.

here's a dropbox link to the image. if you don't have a RAM expansion just delete stuff until it works like a dos boot disk. TOS is only 256KB when RAM-resident so you'll still have room to run programs if you load it and nothing else.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 2, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Luigi Thirty posted:

if I multiply -2 * 2, the result is correct ($FFFE0000)

umm

(fuller response in a bit, this just leapt out at me)

e: actually I gotta ask, how exactly is stuff like -0.5 represented? Is there a "negative zero" representation in the integer part?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
can I submit the fact that I've watched the forums UI steadily degrade over the course of today

testing in prod I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
that actually looks really cool

• Locked thread