Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ahhh, that takes me back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u1R1WJ_nvY

Got attacked by the leftovers of a VHS tape on the way to work today. Once I got the bike stopped it was pretty loving hilarious how wrapped up in it I was.

the man bun almost got you killed

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u1R1WJ_nvY

Got attacked by the leftovers of a VHS tape on the way to work today. Once I got the bike stopped it was pretty loving hilarious how wrapped up in it I was.

Haha! Was it Born to be Wild?

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

There was a little hurricane that came through here a few weeks ago. My house, which is about 2 feet above sea level, sits about 6 blocks in either direction from a bay and a tidal creek. Seeing as how we were expecting a 7 to 9ft storm surge, and I don't have a garage, I did the only reasonable thing:

Made for a nice cat tree, too.

Ended up not really being necessary, storm went west and we only got about a foot of water in the front yard. I couldn't get my car out due to a few downed trees, so I had to gingerly ride it back down the porch to be able to go anywhere.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nice bike!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Pro catte.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Pre-K Bikini Carwash posted:

There was a little hurricane that came through here a few weeks ago. My house, which is about 2 feet above sea level, sits about 6 blocks in either direction from a bay and a tidal creek. Seeing as how we were expecting a 7 to 9ft storm surge, and I don't have a garage, I did the only reasonable thing:

Made for a nice cat tree, too.

Ended up not really being necessary, storm went west and we only got about a foot of water in the front yard. I couldn't get my car out due to a few downed trees, so I had to gingerly ride it back down the porch to be able to go anywhere.

There is so much right with this picture.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

I'm glad it didn't wrap up in a wheel or your chain, but goddamn that is funny

Having seen what a bike chain will do to a shoelace, which is considerably stronger than a bit of tape, I wouldn't worry too much.

(For that matter have you seen what a roller chain will do to fingers?)

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Having seen what a bike chain will do to a shoelace, which is considerably stronger than a bit of tape, I wouldn't worry too much.

(For that matter have you seen what a roller chain will do to fingers?)

I have, but I also wouldn't want to be stuck cleaning little bits of shredded tape out of the chain and sprockets

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
Spotted this Ural at the bar across the street in Portland today. The guy says his goal is to go from the top of Alaska to Argentina. He's made it to Oregon at least & it's going to piss rain on him the entire time he's here.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Which way was he going?

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Dinosaur Gum
I assume south via 101 because I-5 sucks. I didn't actually talk to the guy, a coworker was chatting with him about all the poo poo that's broken on the Ural since he got it. It was a long long list. Apparently he's blown through at least one clutch at like 600 miles.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm assuming the solar panels are because the alternator is busted? :v:

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
There's got to be an easier way to ship a pile of scrap to Argentina...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Fender posted:

Apparently he's blown through at least one clutch at like 600 miles.

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm assuming the solar panels are because the alternator is busted? :v:

R-Type posted:

There's got to be an easier way to ship a pile of scrap to Argentina...
As someone who's worked on Urals, I enjoyed these posts.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Saw this on craigslist and am having a crisis trying to avoid it. What did we ever do to deserve the 90's.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you think that would be like your DR, you are mistaken.

Looks rad though.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I thought you loved the KLR250 (super sherpa), Slavvy? Yeah, I want so bad for that to be like my DR650, and also to forget the memories of the last KLR250 I had because it was an awful awful bike.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog, you should try a DR350

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

I thought you loved the KLR250 (super sherpa), Slavvy? Yeah, I want so bad for that to be like my DR650, and also to forget the memories of the last KLR250 I had because it was an awful awful bike.

Sorry, I'm disorientates dumbass and thought that was an ancient 650. The Sherpa is air cooled and a lot lighter though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The KLR 250 and KLR 650 are different bikes. The KLR 650 is in my opinion not good replacement for a Dr650.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well, this seems as good a time as any to bring this up:
They say if you truly love something you have to set it free. If it comes back, it's truly yours. If it doesnt, it never was.

Well guys my DR came back today!

After having way way way too much fun on it all week, my buddy insisted I take it back because they didn't have the heart to take it from me. They knew I'd done basically everything inside and out to the bike, and it just seemed like "Coydog's bike" whenever they saw it. I gave him enough money to go buy another EX250, or DR350 if he can find one at a low enough price. Everyone feels better, he doesn't feel guilty, and I'm back to loving my bush pig.

I missed that bike. :( This does delay my buying a Grom YET AGAIN DAMMIT because I can't justify having three bikes when I park outside.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Coydog, you should try a DR350

I hear they are fantastic trail bikes.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

The DR comes in rad colors too tho.

Edit: I see some good news happened!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

They say if you truly love something you have to set it free. If it comes back, it's truly yours. If it doesnt, it never was.

gently caress. yes. :D

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Coydog posted:

After having way way way too much fun on it all week, my buddy insisted I take it back because they didn't have the heart to take it from me. They knew I'd done basically everything inside and out to the bike, and it just seemed like "Coydog's bike" whenever they saw it. I gave him enough money to go buy another EX250, or DR350 if he can find one at a low enough price. Everyone feels better, he doesn't feel guilty, and I'm back to loving my bush pig.

I missed that bike. :( This does delay my buying a Grom YET AGAIN DAMMIT because I can't justify having three bikes when I park outside.

Feelgood post of the year

tjones
May 13, 2005

Coydog posted:

Glad to hear it. :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

[quote="“Coydog”" post="“476931253”"]
They say if you truly love something you have to set it free. If it comes back, it’s truly yours. If it doesnt, it never was.

After having way way way too much fun on it all week, my buddy insisted I take it back because they didn’t have the heart to take it from me. They knew I’d done basically everything inside and out to the bike, and it just seemed like “Coydog’s bike” whenever they saw it. I gave him enough money to go buy another EX250, or DR350 if he can find one at a low enough price. Everyone feels better, he doesn’t feel guilty, and I’m back to loving my bush pig.

I missed that bike. :( This does delay my buying a Grom YET AGAIN DAMMIT because I can’t justify having three bikes when I park outside.

[/quote]

Holy poo poo this whole thing has been amazing. That is truly your bike now, and your friend sounds like a standup guy.

Glad it ended well for both parties

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I'm planning on buying my first car or truck and going to sell my vstrom. I think I'll get a DR/DRZ/similar when I get another bike.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Fender posted:

Spotted this Ural at the bar across the street in Portland today. The guy says his goal is to go from the top of Alaska to Argentina. He's made it to Oregon at least & it's going to piss rain on him the entire time he's here.

And then the poor bastard ends up at the Rogue Eastside Pub probably remembering it as The Green Dragon. Not only did Oregon piss rain on him, he ended up possibly the worst place in Portland to drink local beer.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Dinosaur Gum

And then the poor bastard ends up at the Rogue Eastside Pub probably remembering it as The Green Dragon. Not only did Oregon piss rain on him, he ended up possibly the worst place in Portland to drink local beer.

Disclosure: I work for Rogue.

You know that Rogue owned it as the Green Dragon, right? You probably weren't even 21 the last time it wasn't owned by Rogue. The switch to Eastside Pub was basically us going to our board and saying, "Hey, the Green Dragon is kinda run down & dirty. We want a bunch of money to clean the place up & redo the patio." And then they said, "Ok sure, here is (some of) that money. But you have to do X, Y, & Z to get it." So it became more Rogue branded. Other than generally being cleaned up and painted, the place hasn't changed. We still let local brewers come in & use the brewing equipment in the back, we still serve a ton of non-Rogue beers.

Anyway, Urals am I right? Another fun anecdote is that the dude paid something like $18k for that Ural setup.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Wouldnt it be better just to put a sidecar on an old Honda CB or something? It would certainly be more reliable wouldnt it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes. 100%. But like soul and Italian bikes, not everything makes sense when you decide to buy a ural

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Bruh.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Uh why would you want to drive both rear wheels?

Edit: Would it help prevent tire spin in a straight line?

Virgil Vox fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 2, 2017

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Fender posted:

Disclosure: I work for Rogue.

You know that Rogue owned it as the Green Dragon, right? You probably weren't even 21 the last time it wasn't owned by Rogue.

LOL let's take this out of the thread. My feelings stand.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Same kid as in my avatar.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

captainOrbital posted:

Same kid as in my avatar.

Nice of him to let you ride his bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Virgil Vox posted:

Uh why would you want to drive both rear wheels?

Edit: Would it help prevent tire spin in a straight line?

It would help nothing and it would do nothing remotely good or useful. The answer to your question is 'because it looks cool/because it looks like I spent the most money on my retarded bauble'.

The frontmost wheel isn't getting driven for poo poo and is largely just a way of ensuring the chain shatters as it skips hopelessly over the upper surface of the sprocket.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Why wouldn't there be 2 sprockets on the middle wheel with two separate chains?

like the rapper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If it were like the rapper it would have substantially more than two chains so I don't know wtf you're talking about.

Though the enormous dedication to looking like a christmas tree ornament so as to wow impressionable idiots is consistent to both I'll admit.