Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

thespaceinvader posted:

Is it just me or is the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game actually really quite good? I played the app a whole bunch, and have played through the whole of Skull and Shackles, and am now in the middle of Mummy's Mask.

It's really fun.

I'm especially enamoured at the moment of Acid Splash, which our Wizard has several copies of, and he's basically a walking acid flamethrower at the moment. Blessing? Throw acid on it. Monster? Throw acid on it. Lock, trap, obstacle? ACID. Hell, he's even acquired allies by hosing them down with acid.

It's possible it shouldn't work on ALL disable checks...

I played a round at GenCon and found it pretty tedious. Very multiplayer solitaire and it took almost as long as a traditional RPG session but doesn't allow for the creative solutions that a traditional RPG does.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Speaking of kickstarters, the Terminator 2 tie-in actually looks somewhat interesting. I'm not interested enough in Terminator to back it, but the mechanics look more inspired than roll2hit.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

LLSix posted:

I played a round at GenCon and found it pretty tedious. Very multiplayer solitaire and it took almost as long as a traditional RPG session but doesn't allow for the creative solutions that a traditional RPG does.

Sounds exactly like a PFS session :v:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Grabbed Super Motherlode on a whim from my local game store because I enjoy the video game so much. Any experience with this game?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
somehow despite being a video game tie-in it's actually pretty decent. It's a deckbuilder with a board component that is quick and imo does some interesting tile placement stuff. A good light-medium game.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 30, 2017

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah, Super Motherload is actually one of my favorite deck-building games. I think it does the "use your deck for something on a board" way better than others on the market like Trains or Clank! personally.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Is Keyflower a good/unique enough WP game to justify having both it and AFFO?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

Keyflower is actually a competitive and cruel game which puts it above AFFO on my pecking order. So absolutely, yes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How complex is Days of Ire? Been meaning to pick up a co-op and the Hungarian revolution is the poo poo

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

How complex is Days of Ire? Been meaning to pick up a co-op and the Hungarian revolution is the poo poo

Not complex at all. In solo/co-op mode, it's about the same level as Pandemic. You only get 4 total actions per day at all player counts, so I wouldn't recommend it for 4 people. And if you have 3, 1 should play the Soviets.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

They’re two of the most unique and best WPs, so definitely.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

It's very similar to Pandemic or other like minded co-op games. There's a heavy set collection aspect and it's all about managing finite resources and spinning plates. You can play against the game but the best way is through a Soviet player who's playing a Twilight Struggle lite where they're enacting events that give them action points for the coming round.

I always felt Pandemic would be cooler if one player could be the virus, spreading and evolving to challenge the other players.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

al-azad posted:

It's very similar to Pandemic or other like minded co-op games. There's a heavy set collection aspect and it's all about managing finite resources and spinning plates. You can play against the game but the best way is through a Soviet player who's playing a Twilight Struggle lite where they're enacting events that give them action points for the coming round.

I always felt Pandemic would be cooler if one player could be the virus, spreading and evolving to challenge the other players.

One of the expansions has a 5th player who does hidden movement things and places virus

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

It's a great WP and looks so cute and nice and is exactly the opposite of that.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

One of the expansions has a 5th player who does hidden movement things and places virus

Yep. One person can play a bio-terrorist the other players are trying to catch.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Yes! these are both great games and really not that similar.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

In AFFO, your opponent takes a spot you wanted to take. You readjust your plans, maybe just do a similar action that's less efficient, and move on.

In Keyflower, they bid up the tile you need so that you don't have enough for another action, and then they work your tiles with colors you're short on, and then you lunge across the table and strangle them.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

And both of them are great because of it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just bought Feast for Odin. Never had a board game with so many cardboard parts. Pushing all of them out was exhausting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vegetable posted:

I just bought Feast for Odin. Never had a board game with so many cardboard parts. Pushing all of them out was exhausting.

Buying AFFO at Spiel last year was a major contributing factor to why punching everything before I packed my case saved me a full kilo of weight. Luggage Tetris is one of my favourites, but I can only play once a year and it's a legacy game.

Card City XL arrived this morning, two months ahead of schedule. Answers the question of whether I can pick it up in Essen fairly definitively.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

The Lord of Hats posted:

In Keyflower, they bid up the tile you need so that you don't have enough for another action, and then they work your tiles with colors you're short on, and then you lunge across the table and strangle them.

You're describing exactly how Richard Breese plays Keyflower. And he seems like such a nice, mild mannered guy!!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lorini posted:

You're describing exactly how Richard Breese plays Keyflower. And he seems like such a nice, mild mannered guy!!

My preferred Keyflower strategy is to produce a green meeple then bid the Earth to keep the tile. Then in Summer I use the green meeple to bid on the next green meeple producer. It can be thwarted, but if you get away with it you need to work very hard to lose.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Quick rules question; the rulebook was ambiguous (at least in Dutch). In Potion Explosion, let's say I can get a big combo, fill up my potions, then have more than 3 marbles in hand. Must I discard extra marbles before taking and filling new potions? My best interpretation would be yes, but I think it's more fun if you do it the other way. It's not necessarily more strategic; both interpretations have different strategies.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Dancer posted:

Quick rules question; the rulebook was ambiguous (at least in Dutch). In Potion Explosion, let's say I can get a big combo, fill up my potions, then have more than 3 marbles in hand. Must I discard extra marbles before taking and filling new potions? My best interpretation would be yes, but I think it's more fun if you do it the other way. It's not necessarily more strategic; both interpretations have different strategies.

Based on the app at least, taking new potions will be the absolute last thing you do on your turn. Any ingredients you have on hand (other than your three reserved ones) will be lost.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

CaptainRightful posted:

Not complex at all. In solo/co-op mode, it's about the same level as Pandemic. You only get 4 total actions per day at all player counts, so I wouldn't recommend it for 4 people. And if you have 3, 1 should play the Soviets.

So not good for groups then? Might pick up Black Orchestra instead first

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

al-azad posted:

Please report. I'm on a hard sci-fi kick right now and for some reason I haven't binged this show yet.
So I played The Expanse and I must admit that, even though the design of it is admittably bad, I really enjoyed the gameplay. It's basically a mix between a COIN, Twilight Struggle and El Grande. It's a fairly basic area control, but the main mechanism is that there's a market row like Through the Ages or Concordia where newer cards are more expensive but get cheaper as cards before it get purchased.

The cards have an ops value and an event, but the event can only be picked by certain factions. If you play for the ops value then people can play for the event: if more than one faction is eligible whoever is earlier in the initiative track goes first, but then they go to the bottom of the initiative track. You can also keep cards to play later. There are also scoring cards in the track which also need to be bought (you pay VPs to buy cards btw) and you get to pick an area to score.

Overall I like the assymetry of it. The faction I played was sneaky and didn't require military control to do well, but all the factions play differently both because of different bonuses they get and because of the card events that they have access to. Really keen to give it another go.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Tekopo posted:

So I played The Expanse and I must admit that, even though the design of it is admittably bad, I really enjoyed the gameplay. It's basically a mix between a COIN, Twilight Struggle and El Grande. It's a fairly basic area control, but the main mechanism is that there's a market row like Through the Ages or Concordia where newer cards are more expensive but get cheaper as cards before it get purchased.

The cards have an ops value and an event, but the event can only be picked by certain factions. If you play for the ops value then people can play for the event: if more than one faction is eligible whoever is earlier in the initiative track goes first, but then they go to the bottom of the initiative track. You can also keep cards to play later. There are also scoring cards in the track which also need to be bought (you pay VPs to buy cards btw) and you get to pick an area to score.

Overall I like the assymetry of it. The faction I played was sneaky and didn't require military control to do well, but all the factions play differently both because of different bonuses they get and because of the card events that they have access to. Really keen to give it another go.

how much of the show/books does it spoil? It sounds like something I'd enjoy but I've got enough else to play if it's going to lessen my enjoyment of the main stuff, books in particular.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Ah, great. More area control games need to steal the COIN mechanics.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I decided to start using making boxes for some of my games. Right now it'll just be Caylus and Arkwright (received as ding and dent so needs a new box anyway). I got the newest edition which didn't have the scowling King Phillip so i don't care much about the box. I think I'll burn the sides with the Caylus logo and stain the rest, but I did just find the premium rulebook setup page which I'll also transfer to the inside lid. Depending on how much work I want to put into these things, I might create some stencils and airbrush a fancy border around the artwork.

It's not cereal boxes, but I think it'll do.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's no wacky parody box cover, but that's really sick.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Any goon consensus on the Tiny Epic games, specifically Tiny Epic Quest? I haven't played any of them but I'm heavily leaning toward grabbing that one based on the theme / art and what I've read about the gameplay.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Any goon consensus on the Tiny Epic games, specifically Tiny Epic Quest? I haven't played any of them but I'm heavily leaning toward grabbing that one based on the theme / art and what I've read about the gameplay.

Tiny epic galaxies. Is Twilight Imperium ultralight. It's fun.

Tiny epic kingdoms is mediocre. I found that it made a good first impression with our group but it got stake in record time, despite its extreme internal variety. The hero expansion adds a bit but it's not worth the sum price.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Tekopo posted:

What part of the design is bad? I couldn't pick anything out from this description.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chill la Chill posted:

So I decided to start using making boxes for some of my games. Right now it'll just be Caylus and Arkwright (received as ding and dent so needs a new box anyway). I got the newest edition which didn't have the scowling King Phillip so i don't care much about the box. I think I'll burn the sides with the Caylus logo and stain the rest, but I did just find the premium rulebook setup page which I'll also transfer to the inside lid. Depending on how much work I want to put into these things, I might create some stencils and airbrush a fancy border around the artwork.

Hm. Nice. I've been thinking about making a custom box for codenames + pictures + duet. Yours is much nicer than mine, even though mine doesn't exist yet and is thus presently an ideal. Much nicer.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Caedar posted:

What part of the design is bad? I couldn't pick anything out from this description.

I think he meant the art design which is unbelievably plain from a major publication.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

So it turns out getting babysitting means we can both go to a game night???

Played:
Magic Maze. First with six and no advanced rules and thought it was kinda lovely. Then at the end of the night, played with 4 and a couple extra rules and thought it was quite clever. I think having duplicated directions helped make the six player game bad. I'd play again, but probably only with four.

Great Western Trail , for the second time. Four players all of whom had played before, we knocked this out in like 80 minutes. I'm liking it more and more, I love the balance of efficient moved vs go go go speed get to KC go go go.

Deus, with Egypt. I'd never used the expansion before, I liked it but I think I'd like to try mixed cards sometime. I still like the game for sure.

Century: Spice Road, my wife likes this more than I do, but it plays in basically the same time as splendor but has a lot more interesting decisions. We ordered it a couple days ago as a fifth anniversary gift to each other (5 is wood, perfect for board games), but good to play it again and have it play super quick.

My wife also played some party game called crosstalk and ...and then we held hands which is in the same genre as consentacle (2 player coop game about relationships and feelings).

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

I've been thinking about doing something similar for Leaving Earth because I love that game and the art, but the storage it comes with is awful.

I really wanna make like a time capsule sorta box and plaster it with those retro future NASA posters.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

how much of the show/books does it spoil? It sounds like something I'd enjoy but I've got enough else to play if it's going to lessen my enjoyment of the main stuff, books in particular.
The fact that one faction exists in the game is kind of a spoiler in of itself. The cards do have events and characters but they don't have any decriptive text associated with them. So some things will get spoiled just by seeing them I guess.

Caedar posted:

Yeah as said before what I meant is the art design. The gameplay design is solid as far as I could see.

Also today I played Inis and Gloomhaven, both for the first time. Enjoyed Inis more than I thought since I'm not into drafting games. Gloomhaven was excellent as advertised and we won our scenario by the skin of our teeth.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 30, 2017

Henker
May 5, 2009

Couple days ago this thread was briefly mentioning that there's no decent "how to play" video for Forbidden Stars. Heavy Cardboard actually did a livestream of the game today and the first 40 minutes or so are a pretty good explanation of the rules. Their game ends fantastically as well. The two dudes are so busy duking it out with each other, that they don't notice Amanda sneak up and get all of her objective tokens on like the third turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

silvergoose posted:

My wife also played some party game called crosstalk and ...and then we held hands which is in the same genre as consentacle (2 player coop game about relationships and feelings).

How was Crosstalk? I played it recently and everyone thought it was miserable. We basically got every answer on the first guess, not because the public clue was too good but because the private clue left no doubt. Like everyone wrote down "collie" for "Lassie" and "bedrock" for "Flintstones." I think the toughest one was "serendipity" but even that only lasted one single round. One of the gamers was even a second language English speaker and knew all the cultural references.

I don't know how this game is supposed to be played but we're just sticking with codenames.