Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

boner confessor posted:

it's a total conversion mod that completely replaces everything - characters, the map, nations, religion, it's all stripped down and rebuilt

the basic idea is a cataclysm happened in north america sometime in the 20th century, it doesn't matter what happened, but time has passed and it's the year 2666 now and society has redeveloped to the point of middle ages feudalism. it's all just a thin excuse to move the gameplay of ck2 to the north american continent

in my current ATE game i was playing as paul mahonic, chief of boston, who is the last of his name. the mahonics were once (in game history) mighty kings of new england before they got their asses beat by the rodhams of hudsonia (new york state) and the kingdom shattered into squabbling occultist tribes (think pagans who care way too much about secret societies and hp lovecraft). paul of boston is the last feudal leader in the area and, though he swears vassalage to the tribal high chief of nogad, it's pretty trivial to reunite new england as mahonic and after a decade i was well on my way

then, the consumerist uprising happened in the republic of gotham. the merchant princes of manhattan and brooklyn, normally followers of the old world americanist cult (worship lincoln, jefferson, and washington as divine beings) were completely outmatched by the consumerist horde (basically the rise of islam, except they worship the Almighty Dollar). consumerist gotham then kept getting into scraps with the anabaptist kingdoms of hudsonia and dietscheri (german pennsylvania) while i gobbled up the rest of new england, crowned myself king, and put my many, many sons on the ducal thrones of new england by continually goading my conquered vassals into rebelling. my sons are now independently seeking land and glory by pushing into the kingdoms of ursuline quebec (catholic, but with a lady pope) and bashing on the poor, wretched newfies of the kingdom of the maritimes

meanwhile i dismantled consumerist gotham through a series of holy wars and am currently the lord of connecticut as well as manhattan, long island, and most of new jersey. i needed to snatch the country of poughkeepsie for the holy site, sleepy hollow, which is essential to the occultist religion and the next to last piece i need to reform the faith and crown myself as the Supreme Orient. i also snatched the young king of hudsonia's beautiful wife and forced her into concubinage, so he's pretty pissed at me - hopefully mad enough to declare on me so that i can beat him again without having to fight the anabaptist realms in a holy war

of course, my subjects found a mysterious metal box which i had my tinkers study. after months of work they were able to open the box, which to my delight contained an old world "hand gun" used to slay men from a great distance. this relic, though fragile, is still extremely powerful and brings me great prestige as well as allows me to call myself king paul "thunderhand" of new england. so yeah, i'm pretty ready for the king of hudsonia to show his face on the battlefield again

Everything about this is why I love After the End. I haven't played it since 2.6, so I guess it's time to re-download and install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nosre posted:

Hopefully "make it affordable"

I've got 800 hours in and feel like playing again, but $7.50 (ON SALE!) is hilarious for DLC that's two years old (Horse Lords)

I'm pretty sure it wasn't this bad for the initial DLCs, I remember getting up to date for a couple bucks a piece for the first expansions.

Sims 3 DLCs rarely drop below 10 bucks each, including the equivalent of the buck-fifty unit packs for CKII, and there are 19 of them. :colbert:

This isn't even getting into the shock I felt when I looked into getting Train Simulator.

I'm just saying, there are worse DLC models.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Does anyone remember the old assassination system? I got so much joy out of slowly murdering over a few centuries every blood descendant/relative of Mohamed, peace be upon him.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ZombieLenin posted:

Does anyone remember the old assassination system? I got so much joy out of slowly murdering over a few centuries every blood descendant/relative of Mohamed, peace be upon him.

The one where you just pay gold to assassinate? That's still in, just disabled by default. You can mod it back in very easily (there are already plenty of mods that do so available).

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I think you can turn it on via a rules setting when you start a game. No need to mod but it still disables Ironman mode.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I think you can turn it on via a rules setting when you start a game. No need to mod but it still disables Ironman mode.

It disables achievements. Ironman is always available, unlike in EU4.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Speaking of After the End, is it working with the latest version yet?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

ShootaBoy posted:

Speaking of After the End, is it working with the latest version yet?

It does! I just downloaded it and played it for the first time today.

Even though I followed an LP of it before it's still pretty darn overwhelming, but such a treat to play as my hometown (which I was surprised to find is actually its own county on the map).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What's the learning curve on Republics? I get the sense that there's a lot of dealing with them in After the End.

I feel like I still need to unsnare my current game that I've been going on before going off to dick around in a mod.

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Republics are ez mode

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
If you're used to feudal mechanics, republics have a decent learning curve, but you won't have too many problems. Even heavily mismanaged, you'll still wind up rolling in dosh. Just be aware they're almost entirely about mercenaries and retinues for warfare and you'll be fine.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SlothfulCobra posted:

What's the learning curve on Republics? I get the sense that there's a lot of dealing with them in After the End.

I feel like I still need to unsnare my current game that I've been going on before going off to dick around in a mod.

republics dont have the same prestige or authority that feudal rulers do ,you're basically a jumped up commoner with a fat wallet. you will control a firehose of money and you'll need to spend that money to do basically anything

republics have an unchangeable elective succession for the primary holder, which is you vs. four other patrician families. you will always be able to see the heir to the republic, which is based off prestige - basically how long the main member of a family has been alive. you can swap prestige for gold, bribing your way into power, but this is not an ideal use of your money hose. if you lose the election it sucks for you but it's not game over

you own one offmap holding, your family palace. this is because you can lose the republic election and technically have no holdings on the map. this is not great but it happens sometimes. you can eventually end up holding land or titles that aren't associated with the republic title itself (usually a duchy and a city as the primary holding), so even if you lose the republic you can have a nice base of power. it may even be to your advantage to lose the election once in a while because then you can declare war on the other families to grab their trade posts, which you can't do if you are leader of the republic

murder all the other patricians, as often as you can. ABC, Always Be sCheming. when you murder an entire family a new family is generated from scratch with very little assets. murder them too if you can. this makes winning elections much simpler

republics get more money from large trade zones. build your trade zone starting from your capital province outwards. it is far better to have one contiguous trade zone than a bunch of scattered little trade zones. if you have a trade post in someone else's land you have a CB to seize a city in that province, and then the province itself so republics can expand via warfare. war as a republic is basically throwing money at retinues and mercenaries altho you can hold castles without penalty to build out a levy

in after the end the most fun republics are:

gotham, new york city. watch out for anabaptist hudsonia to the north, in terms of game lore they're not "supposed" to attack new york but there's nothing preventing this from happening iirc. gotham is part of the small americanist cult centered around washington dc, it's usually not hard to form the kingdom of gotham and move up to a merchant kingdom (grand republic) if you spend enough time beating on new jersey, just watch it with the holy wars because you're adjacent to two powerful christian kingdoms and the christian duke of connecticut

orleans, in new orleans. has the voodoo religion, which lets you zombify people. voodoo is pretty small tho and you're right next door to the holy columbian confederacy, an evangelical empire that loves to delcare holy wars on all of its neighbors. luckily half the time the HCC collapses due to political turmoil and there's an event that can tank evangelicism through reformation. but a powerful, zealous HCC can ruin your day as orelans. also the catholics of the midwest and the pope in st. louis love to declare crusades on the voodoo king of louisiane which is annoying

cartagena in south america, starts off pretty powerful and iirc you have the pirate religion which has some fun events :yarr:

detroit. rust cultist religion, pagans who can go on salvage pilgrimages of the factories of the north for goodies like typewriters and guns. detroit can be powerful and make a play for the kingdom of michigan but it's usually a clusterfuck of brawling pagans, like 90% of the time either the tribe of geeyem or michiana form the crown. very exciting but difficult start just because of all the loving subjugation wars, constantly

less fun republics:

superior. norse pagans tucked away at the tip of lake superior, at the very end of the trade node. basically just subjugate and raid your neighbors, kind of annoying as a republic though because you're always shutting off your own trade route because of wars

chesapeake in norfolk. you pretty much will get vassalized by the HCC immediately, but you can make a play for the kingdom of virginia or columbia (the DC metro) if you play your cards right

if you want to start as a vassal republic, you can be los angeles (who has a good map position and can dominate the california coast) who is vassal to the king of socal, or miami (similar strong position in the caribbean) who is vassal to the empress of the caribbean, but things fall apart pretty quickly after she dies and you can try to form the kingdom of florida

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

boner confessor posted:

gotham, new york city. watch out for anabaptist hudsonia to the north, in terms of game lore they're not "supposed" to attack new york but there's nothing preventing this from happening iirc. gotham is part of the small americanist cult centered around washington dc, it's usually not hard to form the kingdom of gotham and move up to a merchant kingdom (grand republic) if you spend enough time beating on new jersey, just watch it with the holy wars because you're adjacent to two powerful christian kingdoms and the christian duke of connecticut

Isn't one of the patrician families there the Waynes?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Technowolf posted:

Yes. They tend to die out early though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

scaterry posted:

Yes. They tend to die out early though.

And I think they are anabaptist, which is the most boring religion in AtE.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
They're Hamiltonian, an Americanist heresy

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Technowolf posted:

yeah, it's all batman references. another family is the cobblepots

after the end is full of little jokey references like this. the mercenary company in gotham is the shaolin company with the wutang logo, headed by grandmaster flash. the nearby ducal city state of philadelphia is ruled by duke dennis the drunkard of house reynolds, and his sister deandra, half brother carrol, and father franklin are also present (all low stat drunks as well). princess kaitlin of house beaton is queen of the maritimes, etc. like 2/3s of all the mercenary companies are sports teams like the brave men of atlanta, the giant men of san francisco, the arborite wolverines out of michigan, etc.

binge crotching posted:

And I think they are anabaptist, which is the most boring religion in AtE.

i think they were in a previous release but they're americanists now which spices things up a bit

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

boner confessor posted:

i think they were in a previous release but they're americanists now which spices things up a bit

Nice, I guess I really do need to play it again.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I'm getting a few generations into my game as Michiana, and it's been pretty fun. The Great Lakes region seems pretty hectic, but I guess that applies to a lot of the areas on the map. I formed my own kingdom and named it Indiana (because the territory of my beloved home state is de jour part of all the surrounding states. Bummer.), and I'm just two counties away from controlling all of it. Haven't had much luck with salvage yet, but I guess I'll keep trying if it is an actual lucrative venture?

Very fun mod, and just looking around the map I can see a lot of other places I'd like to try next.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FELD1 posted:

I'm getting a few generations into my game as Michiana, and it's been pretty fun. The Great Lakes region seems pretty hectic, but I guess that applies to a lot of the areas on the map.

the rust belt and old northwest - basically everything from western pennsylvania to nebraska, and from kentucky to upper ontario, are all various flavors of pagans who get wild casus bellis to constantly attack each other so it's a huge loving thunderdome until one big dog emerges as king and eventually emperor

personally i prefer the tribe of the burning river because you're tucked off in a corner of the great lakes thunderdome and you can easily snatch detroit and pittsburg (yohogania) to add to your holy site in cincinnati to form the great factory of the reformed rust cult. any michigan start has to grab chicago, detroit, and then cincy which means fighting at least one unified kingdom typically, where the king of ohio can quickly gobble up detroit and whoever gets pittsburgh, i want to say the duchy of alleghenia?

FELD1 posted:

Haven't had much luck with salvage yet, but I guess I'll keep trying if it is an actual lucrative venture?

totally, but you have to keep doing it. the odds of getting anything good are low but you can go on a pilgrimage every year and you should be doing it as often as possible. there's like a 50% chance (these are my estimates) you don't get anything or just useless trinkets, about a 45% chance you get some token relic like old world glass or an engine block or something for some prestige, and a 5% chance you get one of the real treasures like a telescope, a typewriter, a stack of books, or even a gun if you're lucky enough. each of these gives fat bonuses to stats and prestige, and the gun basically allows you to just straight up murder opposing commanders in battle like "do you want this guy to die y/n"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

boner confessor posted:

Stuff about republics.

Man, all that fits for medieval republics that don't have any real democratic underpinnings, but it sounds so much more cynical and depressing when it's about American places.

Anyways, I decided to play my former home state of Connecticut and worked my way up to the Kingdom of Gotham by grabbing Jersey and Long Island, because they seemed weaker than NYC. I planned on vassalizing NYC later down the line for some nice tax income, but Hudsonia beat me to the punch. The tribes of New England to the east also united into a kingdom pretty fast, so I'm going to need some conniving over there. I also couldn't stop my bad habit of trying to just marry whatever high-ranking unmarried women are out there, which wound up with my ruler inheriting some duchy in Quebec (who all hate me now. I'm half-tempted to let them go independent) and my son becoming a duke of Adirondack, and from there he somehow on his own became King of Hudsonia. :psyduck: I wish that there were more de jure empire titles, because I'd be well on my way to one by now.

Religion is even more confusing than it is in the base game. I started out in a really confusing spot, my ruler was Anabaptist, my realm was Evangelical (and half of that has gone and become a heresy, High Church :shrug:), and I was nestled between Americanist and Occultist countries. I added to that by inheriting Ursuline territory, which is all tribal, and I'm not sure how to push it towards feudalism. The description of Anabaptism says I'm not allowed the holy war casus beli, but the option's still open to me to declare holy war against the Occultist tribe to the east. From the honorary titles, it looks like it was some kind of reskinned version of Islam, there's a lot of weird titles that say they go back to the Abbasids, but more importantly, no option for court eunuch or court dwarf. I figure I'll just sloooowly try to proselytize my territory and bribe my vassals to convert. Some consumerist missionaries have been stopping by, but I haven't tried biting the bait yet.

And of course, the chief issue I face in the game is that the whole thing keeps crashing every so often, which is an obstacle.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Man, all that fits for medieval republics that don't have any real democratic underpinnings, but it sounds so much more cynical and depressing when it's about American places.

Anyways, I decided to play my former home state of Connecticut and worked my way up to the Kingdom of Gotham by grabbing Jersey and Long Island, because they seemed weaker than NYC. I planned on vassalizing NYC later down the line for some nice tax income, but Hudsonia beat me to the punch. The tribes of New England to the east also united into a kingdom pretty fast, so I'm going to need some conniving over there. I also couldn't stop my bad habit of trying to just marry whatever high-ranking unmarried women are out there, which wound up with my ruler inheriting some duchy in Quebec (who all hate me now. I'm half-tempted to let them go independent) and my son becoming a duke of Adirondack, and from there he somehow on his own became King of Hudsonia. :psyduck: I wish that there were more de jure empire titles, because I'd be well on my way to one by now.

Religion is even more confusing than it is in the base game. I started out in a really confusing spot, my ruler was Anabaptist, my realm was Evangelical (and half of that has gone and become a heresy, High Church :shrug:), and I was nestled between Americanist and Occultist countries. I added to that by inheriting Ursuline territory, which is all tribal, and I'm not sure how to push it towards feudalism. The description of Anabaptism says I'm not allowed the holy war casus beli, but the option's still open to me to declare holy war against the Occultist tribe to the east. From the honorary titles, it looks like it was some kind of reskinned version of Islam, there's a lot of weird titles that say they go back to the Abbasids, but more importantly, no option for court eunuch or court dwarf. I figure I'll just sloooowly try to proselytize my territory and bribe my vassals to convert. Some consumerist missionaries have been stopping by, but I haven't tried biting the bait yet.

And of course, the chief issue I face in the game is that the whole thing keeps crashing every so often, which is an obstacle.
About the empires: there's an optional modmod that has a buncha different empires in there. Worth taking a gander at it; I know that there's some real keepers in there~

Also yeah, Rust Cultists are pretty cool but very irritating they don't get a Fylkir like the Norse. I'll always fondly remember planting my dynasty in random Kingdoms, starting with Jamaica and ending with Deseret

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

boner confessor posted:

totally, but you have to keep doing it. the odds of getting anything good are low but you can go on a pilgrimage every year and you should be doing it as often as possible. there's like a 50% chance (these are my estimates) you don't get anything or just useless trinkets, about a 45% chance you get some token relic like old world glass or an engine block or something for some prestige, and a 5% chance you get one of the real treasures like a telescope, a typewriter, a stack of books, or even a gun if you're lucky enough. each of these gives fat bonuses to stats and prestige, and the gun basically allows you to just straight up murder opposing commanders in battle like "do you want this guy to die y/n"

Cool, I'll keep trying then. I didn't realize that you could make the pilgrimage annually. Probably because I've been busy in almost constant warfare for a few lifetimes now, but things are starting to calm down now that I've established myself as the regional power. Having a gun sounds like it'd be really handy.

I'm still chuckling to myself that I made Indiana the regional power in the Great Lakes area.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I'm weirdly hype for the next expansion. The only thing I could nitpick is the decision that you can't invade china if it's unstable, given that new dynasties seizing power by taking advantage of imperial weakness happened on a few pretty notable occasions.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SlothfulCobra posted:

I added to that by inheriting Ursuline territory, which is all tribal, and I'm not sure how to push it towards feudalism.

build the level 4 fort and you get an option to convert the holding to a castle, or a level 4 city if you want to convert it to a town. it may be worth your time to spend prestige first on the holding upgrades as those convert too (read the tooltips carefully to see what they convert into)

SlothfulCobra posted:

From the honorary titles, it looks like it was some kind of reskinned version of Islam, there's a lot of weird titles that say they go back to the Abbasids, but more importantly, no option for court eunuch or court dwarf.

this is a bug - the abbasid titles, not the court eunuch or dwarf (those are only for kingdom level titles for most religions)

make sure your ck2 and ate are both up to date

anabaptists are a super boring variant of christianity, they're not "supposed" to do holy wars but actually removing the holy war CB would make them even more boring. anabaptists are like quakers or mennonites, you're supposed to sit around and be peaceful. gently caress that. the evangelism heresy was because if evangelical MA gets low enough (which is likely to happen if the holy columbian emperor doesn't react to the evangelical reformation) then high church (canadian anglicanism) becomes the core legitimate belief of protestant christianity and evangelicism becomes the heresy

anabaptists don't get anything cool. no raids, no concubines, no spirit quests, nothing. it's just sit around and worship god style protestantism. lame!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

About the empires: there's an optional modmod that has a buncha different empires in there. Worth taking a gander at it; I know that there's some real keepers in there~

Also yeah, Rust Cultists are pretty cool but very irritating they don't get a Fylkir like the Norse. I'll always fondly remember planting my dynasty in random Kingdoms, starting with Jamaica and ending with Deseret

yeah get the expanded empires modmod

also rust cultists get the high fabricator or something like that now, im not sure if that's the emperor title or what. but the rust cultist religious leader gets the brotherhood of steel logo from fallout as their standard and i think the rust cultist holy order is the brotherhood of steel as well

FELD1 posted:

Cool, I'll keep trying then. I didn't realize that you could make the pilgrimage annually. Probably because I've been busy in almost constant warfare for a few lifetimes now, but things are starting to calm down now that I've established myself as the regional power. Having a gun sounds like it'd be really handy.

yeah if you're constantly at war you might miss it. i like to go on salvage runs in between wars when i'm letting my levy rebuild

the gun is OP as heck but it's fragile and hard to get

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

boner confessor posted:

anabaptists are a super boring variant of christianity, they're not "supposed" to do holy wars but actually removing the holy war CB would make them even more boring. anabaptists are like quakers or mennonites, you're supposed to sit around and be peaceful. gently caress that.
I feel like this is my problem with ck2 entirely right now. I'll get to be the emperor of half a continent, and at some point I'll have to stop and keep the empire from falling apart (vassal/demesne limits). At this point, the game becomes more about feasts and summer fairs than doing anything interesting. I think I've got four separate empire save files where I've just checked out mentally from a lack of interest or activity.

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 30, 2017

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I feel like this is my problem with ck2 entirely right now. I'll get to be the emperor of half a continent, and at some point I'll have to stop and keep the empire from falling apart (vassal/demesne limits). At this point, the game becomes more about feasts and summer fairs than doing anything interesting. I think I've got four separate empire save files where I've just checked out mentally from a lack of interest or activity.

That was the story of my Byzantine campaign, plus eventually you're just unstoppable and waiting for the next claim to pop. EU4 is the much more satisfying game for playing large nations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'm tryign to do some event modding on CK2 after being away from the game for a year or so. How do the mongol invasions work under the hood? I've clocked that a nomad ruler can become Ghengis Khan and found the mongol empire by decision, but what if that doesn't happen? I can't find an actual event that spawns the mongol empire, or the golden horde, or the ilkhanate, except the old ones which are commented out in the event files. I'm assuming the game will spawn them, right? If it spawns the mongol horde, is there a mechanic for that to break into the ilkhanate and golden horde?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Do you guys think after the last DLC, they'll release a version of the game with everything that you can buy for a reasonable price, or are we going to have to wait years for that? I've got most of the major DLC, and a random assortment of unit packs and such, but I'd still have to spend a stupid amount of money to get a complete version of the game. Getting a game of the decade edition on sale would probably be the cheapest way to do it.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Do you guys think after the last DLC, they'll release a version of the game with everything that you can buy for a reasonable price, or are we going to have to wait years for that? I've got most of the major DLC, and a random assortment of unit packs and such, but I'd still have to spend a stupid amount of money to get a complete version of the game. Getting a game of the decade edition on sale would probably be the cheapest way to do it.

Yeah, just in time for CK3

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Thank you for the advice. No matter how much I know about this game, there's always more basics.

boner confessor posted:

this is a bug - the abbasid titles, not the court eunuch or dwarf (those are only for kingdom level titles for most religions)

make sure your ck2 and ate are both up to date

Well, it's version 2.7.2 and I got ATE 0.9 from github, so that's about as up to date as I can get.

The titles in question still weren't available after I formed the kingdom of Gotham.

boner confessor posted:

anabaptists are a super boring variant of christianity, they're not "supposed" to do holy wars but actually removing the holy war CB would make them even more boring. anabaptists are like quakers or mennonites, you're supposed to sit around and be peaceful. gently caress that. the evangelism heresy was because if evangelical MA gets low enough (which is likely to happen if the holy columbian emperor doesn't react to the evangelical reformation) then high church (canadian anglicanism) becomes the core legitimate belief of protestant christianity and evangelicism becomes the heresy

anabaptists don't get anything cool. no raids, no concubines, no spirit quests, nothing. it's just sit around and worship god style protestantism. lame!

Well really the whole pacifistic aspect of anabaptism doesn't really seem like it'd hold up that well in this setting, especially since they've already compromised on the "abstaining from politics" aspect of it with fully independent anabaptist rulers. The main reason for both aspects of modern day anabaptism is that the last time anabaptists tried to engage in violence and international politics, it didn't go well.

As for them being boring, the games I've played in CK2 so far have been embarrassingly vanilla anyways. I've never done a big game that involved a lot of conversion, and I've only ever really played as catholic, no orthodox, no miaphysite, no pagan, no muslim, no hindu, no even trying to win the papacy or gaming the way the pope works. I guess technically I've only ever played through about four games. I suppose I need to learn to play shorter games that I abandon sooner. That's why I tend to waffle around in panic when my character tries to step outside the box with regard to religion.

I did get the decision to perform a sky-burial for my predecessor, which is probably another bug I guess.

boner confessor posted:

yeah get the expanded empires modmod

Where's that?

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I'm not a big paint the map guy, so It's one of the things I like about CK2. Sure, I've given up on a save file cause I somehow got voted to rule the HRE despite being in the middle of managing my own realm and spending zero effort trying to get elected beyond an initial gently caress it vote for myself, but going in with a clear objective, doing it, then moving on keeps me interested. I like dealing with Dukes and Counts and occasionally having to deal with an allied/rival King.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Volkerball posted:

The sale Paradox just did came with a bunch of the DLC (not Monks and Mystics or Horse Lords and maybe a couple others) so there's some reason to hope.

e: The Carousing focus seems really good. I suspect there's gotta be downside if you keep at it long enough.

Giant Tourtiere fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 1, 2017

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

evenworse username posted:

e: The Carousing focus seems really good. I suspect there's gotta be downside if you keep at it long enough.

Interesting you say that as personally I've found it a lot more "meh" than the others, often I just get outright refused. I think depending on your playstyle or if you want to role play there's a strong shout for all of the focus to be The Best Choice™ depending on your situation.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Weavered posted:

Interesting you say that as personally I've found it a lot more "meh" than the others, often I just get outright refused. I think depending on your playstyle or if you want to role play there's a strong shout for all of the focus to be The Best Choice™ depending on your situation.

I think characters with certain traits will always say no (like Shy and Temperate) so it's not a universal solution to being popular for sure. I do like that there isn't a slam dunk 'best' option for Focus, although Intrigue is I think my least favorite focus for a vassal to pick. Suddenly I've got Vicious Rumours maluses all over the place, god drat it.

I will defeat your network of spies by turning the castle into a giant frat house apparently.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

evenworse username posted:

There really isn't, other than opportunity cost. It's really powerful for holding together a large realm and/or powerful vassals.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Carousing is micro as gently caress, which is its main weakness. Socializer, Game master and hedonist are all decent lifestyle traits too, without the high costs of the others (architect anyone?)

Oh yeah, and apparently muslims never had parties and you gotta drink in all of them, that's a weakness too.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Eldred posted:

There really isn't, other than opportunity cost. It's really powerful for holding together a large realm and/or powerful vassals.

The downside is that if you have a lot of wroth vassals they might keep beating the poo poo out of you.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well really the whole pacifistic aspect of anabaptism doesn't really seem like it'd hold up that well in this setting, especially since they've already compromised on the "abstaining from politics" aspect of it with fully independent anabaptist rulers. The main reason for both aspects of modern day anabaptism is that the last time anabaptists tried to engage in violence and international politics, it didn't go well.

You can kind of think of the Anabaptists the same way as Jains in the base game - the nobles are NOMINALLY devotees of the religion, but not exactly strict adherents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

What I do with Carousing is find one guy in my realm who already has the Game Master trait (and none of the traits that make him want to fight you) and throw parties with just him invited. Should only take a couple tries to win a game against him and get the Game Master trait for yourself, and the other tries will get you the Dedicated Carouser modifier. You now have +4 Diplo and +1 Martial and it only takes a couple of years, then you can switch focuses.

• Locked thread