Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

The Ninth Layer posted:

I was curious about the PPV performance of Canelo-Golovkin, the numbers came out and the fight did 1.3 million buys. That's far short of the 2 million buy estimates that were floating around, but it's also the best PPV showing Canelo's been a part of since he fought Floyd in 2013. That's good news for the prospects of an immediate rematch; Golovkin's a more lucrative foe than Chavez Jr. was, and there aren't many Chavez Jr.'s around for Canelo to make good money from. Also worth noting is that this was the third-highest boxing gate of all time after Mayweather's fights with Pacquiao and McGregor, another good sign for the rematch coming off.

I think between these two, it may be Canelo that benefits more from rematch adjustments. I thought Golovkin won the fight with his aggression and pressure, but I was also surprised by how elusive Canelo proved to be. Alvarez has never been a mover but his upper body movement has improved a lot. His stamina is his biggest weakness, hopefully he'll be addressing that in training. Golovkin needs to start faster in the second fight, but I also think he needs to work on hitting a moving target. Against Jacobs and Canelo he's looked just a moment too late on a lot of his offense. He also has to figure out a way to get to Alvarez' body without eating counters.

Fwiw Golden Boy said that 1.3 is a low estimate and the official number will be higher. Pay per view is a weird science and has only gotten harder due to fights being offered through streaming services and movie theaters. Numbers have gotten skewed because of two extreme outlier events in MayPac and MayMac but unless you're paying outrageous guarantees-which I don't believe either Canelo or Golovkin had-anything a million buys and over should do fine. Considering this also had the third highest gate in history and I would assume all parties made nice profit.

As for the fight I agree that the lack of body attack from GGG was an issue but against both Jacobs and Canelo he was deterred by the movement and counterpunching respectively. I think he could make the adjustment in a rematch but I just worry that Canelo could finally get to GGG because of the time and age. You have a granite chin until you don't.

Edit: Don't @ me but I'm still somewhat of a proponent of GGG either taking the Saunders fight in Kazakhstan and unifying all the belts or granting Miguel Cotto Freddie Roach's death wish then retiring but lucky for y'all I'm not Abel Sanchez or Tom Loeffler and if I were Golovkin would probably beat me into a pulp for suggesting that to his face

Vvvv: I did forget about that in my slightly buzzed/sleep deprived state but Canelo has been the one who is publicly not as committed to the rematch (though I have no doubt he wants it and believes more than ever he can beat Golovkin) but he is settled into the Cinco De Mayo and Mexican Independence Day split and I feel Golovkin still wants to be more active than that.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40003360-4

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Pretty sure Canelo has an immediate rematch clause he can exercise so it may not matter who GGG wants to fight next.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you remove the freakshow fight, that ppv number is the biggest fight show of the year right?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

algebra testes posted:

If you remove the freakshow fight, that ppv number is the biggest fight show of the year right?

Joshua/Klitschko did 1.5 million in the UK, iirc, but I'm guessing this fight charged more.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Wilder Ortiz is off because Ortiz got popped. Who could have seen that one coming

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

mike- posted:

Wilder Ortiz is off because Ortiz got popped. Who could have seen that one coming

Of course. Well at least we get to see wilder / joshua

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Assuming Joshua takes out Pulev reasonably quickly, when are we likely to see Wilder-Joshua? January?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I feel bad for Wilder. He can't seem to find a top heavyweight that hasn't been juicing.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

Assuming Joshua takes out Pulev reasonably quickly, when are we likely to see Wilder-Joshua? January?

I would guess after the Super Bowl earliest. Big fights don't often happen in January, probably a combination of football season heating up and peoples' wallets being drained by the holidays.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

mike- posted:

Shame we wont see this fight and that this happened to Wilder again but personally im glad all those piss jokes i wrote about Ortiz paid off :hellyeah:

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Don't worry friends, Bellew and Haye are stepping up in December to save heavyweight boxing again :twisted:

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

ortiz was probably doping in preparation for one day facing bellew. just my 2 cents.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Does this forum have a gif thread because I can't see it and want to post this knockout that isn't boxing

https://twitter.com/ChaseShermanUFC/status/913936978881761280

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jose posted:

Does this forum have a gif thread because I can't see it and want to post this knockout that isn't boxing

There's a kickboxing thread and yeah that's extremely rad poo poo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't think that there's any thread on PSP/RR in which people will get mad if you post a rad KO.

The worst I can imagine would be a "B-League thread is that way" kind of thing in the UFC thread, which would come right before the poster watches the gif 20x.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Jose posted:

Well poo poo, there goes my idea for another Karate Kid remake.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Wilder's still pushing for the Ortiz fight even despite Ortiz popping positive. Hope he can pull it off, after the whole Povetkin debacle I'd imagine the Bronze Bomber just wants to get back in there against someone, anyone good.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

Wilder's still pushing for the Ortiz fight even despite Ortiz popping positive. Hope he can pull it off, after the whole Povetkin debacle I'd imagine the Bronze Bomber just wants to get back in there against someone, anyone good.

If the wbc is so insistent on keeping Stiverne so highly ranked they should probably just make the rematch with Wilder unless they want to make Porter-granados the main event (or just blow up the card entirely)

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
This World Boxing Super Series event on WGN America is amazing. Giant spotlight displays, huge Lithuanian crowd, evil American opponent, it's a c-grade Rocky come to life.

e: Ref Cam was missing from my life all this time?!?

Woodchip fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 1, 2017

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Why are we not doing Joshua Vs Wilder?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It would be wildly irresponsible to allow this fight to go on, but gently caress it. Trump is president. Up is down. Let that poo poo happen

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

doctor thodt posted:

It would be wildly irresponsible to allow this fight to go on, but gently caress it. Trump is president. Up is down. Let that poo poo happen

I'm as a big of a fan of the Deontay Wilder windmill memes as the next boxing nerd but even I, the ultimate Al Haymon hater, have to say he's clear cut number 2 active heavyweight right now.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

willie_dee posted:

Why are we not doing Joshua Vs Wilder?

Joshua has to fight Kubrat Pulev, his mandatory, first. Which he is doing this month. Supposedly Joshua vs. Wilder will be made in 2018.

Wilder was supposed to fight Luis Ortiz, but it doesn't look like that is happening anymore with Ortiz' failed drug test. With Ortiz out of the picture, I imagine Wilder will have to fight Bermane Stiverne again instead.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Joshua has to fight Kubrat Pulev, his mandatory, first. Which he is doing this month. Supposedly Joshua vs. Wilder will be made in 2018.

Wilder was supposed to fight Luis Ortiz, but it doesn't look like that is happening anymore with Ortiz' failed drug test. With Ortiz out of the picture, I imagine Wilder will have to fight Bermane Stiverne again instead.

This may be better suited as a pm but I'll post since it may lead to discussion.

Demetrius Andrade is returning on the 21st as the cofeature to Jezreel Corrales. He's officially moving to 160 as well so, if they both win, do you (mostly @ Cigar Aficionado but whoever) rate him as someone who could challenge Danny Jacobs since it seems that what HBO is trying to build up to now that both are signed to multi fight deals on the network

EDIT: In non one on one posting Showtime Sports just uploaded the full Joshua-Klitschko fight to their youtube channel. Joshua-Wilder confirmed ????????? I know it's because they are airing the Pulev fight on the 28th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hq09rPv3hs

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 4, 2017

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Edit: quote is still not edit

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Wlad eating that uppercut without the lights going out is so goddamn amazing.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Get ready for the next MayMac.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeForeman/status/914930639534772224

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
Steve Segal is such a badass. Is boxing going to become Celebrity Deathmatch?

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

loled at this series of tweets

https://twitter.com/peterfury/status/915637791672950790
https://twitter.com/peterfury/status/915658546502623232
https://twitter.com/peterfury/status/915666677433585664
https://twitter.com/peterfury/status/915681451672260608

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I didn't want to derail the B-League MMA thread anymore, but we were talking about how loving cool George Foreman is (very) which got onto Foreman's defeat of Moorer, which in turn got onto Moorer's brain being pulverized by Tua.

Say Nothing posted:

Moorer got his chance at a comeback against David Tua, though.

Er...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlS82LC3fTo

Which in turn reminded me, Tua's performance against Lennox Lewis was one of the most disappointing boxing matches I ever saw, it's like his management decided to confuse Lewis by having Tua fight the complete opposite of everything he'd ever done in his career up to that point (punch people's brains out). I was a big Tua fan but I have no idea if he was considered a guy with promise or just somebody who fought bums and then got exposed the moment he fought a quality opponent in Lewis (to be equally fair, I was a HUGE Lewis fan so maybe I'm overrating him too) - last I heard Tua was still occasionally boxing which is just kinda sad really.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jerusalem posted:

Which in turn reminded me, Tua's performance against Lennox Lewis was one of the most disappointing boxing matches I ever saw, it's like his management decided to confuse Lewis by having Tua fight the complete opposite of everything he'd ever done in his career up to that point (punch people's brains out). I was a big Tua fan but I have no idea if he was considered a guy with promise or just somebody who fought bums and then got exposed the moment he fought a quality opponent in Lewis (to be equally fair, I was a HUGE Lewis fan so maybe I'm overrating him too) - last I heard Tua was still occasionally boxing which is just kinda sad really.

It's been forever but I remember Tua/Lewis as being kind of a preview of Lewis/Tyson? Except Tua managed to make it to a decision. Like Tua just could never get inside other than a few lunging left hooks from way outside and Lewis jabbed him to death. I haven't tried to go look it up to see if my memory is correct though.

Also good news, at least according to boxrec Tua hasn't fought since 2013, so at least there's that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The sound Tua's punches made still make me wince

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7t4xeD9N2E

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://www.facebook.com/bronzebomber/videos/858301001001613/

Deontay is upset

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I guess he might as well try to call Joshua out. Whatever momentum his career might once have had has been derailed by dudes other than himself pissing hot for a while now. And of course I can easily see him losing quickly to anyone who's actually good who manages to make it to the ring with him.

As an aside how in the living gently caress did Povetkin fail a drug test for a fight in Russia? I mean they have whole loving government conspiracies in place to prevent that from happening.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Perhaps Wilder can fight Vitali Klitschko once we finally get rid of Stiverne once and for all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvKUy-rBiSc

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

he wants joshua according to boxingscene. would be a massive event but i think joshua would have too much for him

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Eubank Jr absolutely loving owns

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Lionel Richie posted:

Eubank Jr absolutely loving owns

He's gonna win this tournament OP

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The only thing I can say against him is that he didn't give Billy Joe Saunders the beating he should've done and we've suffered with the fat waster ever since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Assuming Groves beat this Jamie Cox mope the semifinal should be held in Wembley so George Groves can (again) get flattened in front of 80,000 screaming fans at Wembley Stadium