Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kale
May 14, 2010

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

I've seen a lot of that on Twitter already.

These people aren't arguing from rational places, they've joined a cult, they need deprogramming, not convincing.

edit: I don't know why I did it, but I went and read the first hundred responses on his Twitter feed.

Doomed. We are doomed. America is dead, we will be buried without ceremony and to everyone's relief, our obituary written by a russian bot, featuring emojis and probably a reference to how it was hillary's fault.

Replies to news stories and twitter news or political feeds are almost invariably people taking the absolute shittiest humanly possible position on everything and sneering about how liberals and snowflakes are getting hosed in the rear end. If it's not roleplay it's like people have indeed joined some sort of death cult where the only thing they're concerned with is loving over as many people as humanly possible. It's almost unfathomable really how hosed up the internet has made people or at least what it's brought out in them in nearly complete moral decay and sociopathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He has never owned a pet of any kind.

We are now his pets and Trump is an abusive owner.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

stone cold posted:

I recommend not getting so sucked into how exceptionally evil trump is that you forget that every republican president including and since Eisenhower has been incredibly evil

Ford seemed nice, other than pardoning Nixon.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Oxxidation posted:

Anyone who thinks deer are cute have never had to suffer their presence for more than a week. Hideous animals.
To think they almost went extinct in the early 1900s

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/914208500502355968

Reckon that the gov has been more fawning

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

achillesforever6 posted:

To think they almost went extinct in the early 1900s

Mosquitoes are important to the ecosystem, too. :v:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

You always have to remember that the people who are somehow ambivalent about the Trump administration aren't even paying attention to half the poo poo you or I know about.

This too. One of the first things I learned about the world as I graduated to becoming an adult that in the early 2000's is that most people aren't thinking about or absorbing any information around them beyond what maybe is necessary for them to make it through a day on the job and get to the liquor cabinet or sex with spouse/date. The vast majority of people at work, my family, friends etc. have no idea what's going on here, or if they do can't even begin to grasp the full gravity of it and just how truly bad things are. A lot of people think I'm like this sullen guy that follows politics too much and needs to chill but it's like no people really need to be paying attention to this poo poo right now more than ever.

It also mildly infuriates me that the resistance to Trump to date is largely a bunch of twitter memes and counter rallies that IMO either just make light of the situation or don't actually do anything to help really.

Kale
May 14, 2010

farraday posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/914114228256112640

You may remember him as the general who was in charge of the Katrina effort.

Holy crap General Horace Warfield is really taking it to Emperor Mengsk this week especially.

But seriously where's the worlds Jim Raynor savior figure here in all of this that's going to come and restore moral order and do it right so we don't all die horribly. Is it really Mueller?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Deer destroyed my garden two years in a row. I need to build a fence for the fuckers next year.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Office Pig posted:

NUMBER ONE: you are thinking Rick Perry (you idiot, you loving moron).
NUMBER TWO: yes he is bad at the DoE.

NUMBER THREE: ...uhhhhhh

logosanatic
Jan 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

KiteAuraan posted:

You can harden buildings against hurricane winds, you can build out of flood zones and you can move infrastructure into places it will be less impacted. To the best of my knowledge Puerto Rico doesn't have the insane concerns Florida does.

Now, say the same thing about white people along the Gulf Coast, Atlantic Coast and in Florida. Say they should all abandon their homes because of climate change. Your reaction will demonstrate what this idiotic derail is really about to you.

i am in favour of coastal cities being moved abandoned redesigned whatever due to climate change flood or other disasters

there will come a time in the future when cities have been rebuilt 2x or morw when this will be a more common sentiment

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Crain posted:

We are now his pets and Trump is an abusive owner.

Also he got a dog when the NJ Fatass dropped out.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

It just keeps getting worse with this worthless rear end in a top hat. gently caress.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zerilan posted:

Are there any good articles illustrating just how bad the WH has been dropping the ball on aid to PR?

Washington Post did a pretty good rundown yesterday here:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/913925315034013696

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

hanales posted:

But I'm hungry AND outraged :smith:

the term is hangry

the more u kno

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I feel like today has been an important exercise in not losing your capacity for shock and outrage.

:agreed:

Ague Proof posted:

Ford seemed nice, other than pardoning Nixon.

he also opposed busing and did nothing to help ease integration

otoh he called solzhenitsyn a horse's rear end so i guess it's a wash

e:source

Office of the White House Press Secretary, May 29, 1976 posted:

The Attorney General has notified me that after a thorough review he has decided that the Department of Justice should not file a brief in the Boston school desegregation case at the current stage of litigation.

The Attorney General also pointed out that for over two decades the Department of Justice has entered virtually every school desegregation case that the Supreme Court has agreed to review. If the Supreme Court agrees to review the Boston case, the Department of Justice will follow past practice and enter the case at that time.

I have informed the Attorney General that I respect his decision not to intervene at this time and agree with him that the decision in no way reflects upon the merits of the case.

I have directed the Attorney General to continue an active search for a busing case which would be suitable for judicial review of current case law on forced school busing and to accelerate his efforts to develop legislative remedies to minimize forced school busing. It is my intention to send a message to the Congress recommending such legislation at the earliest possible time. In addition, I shall meet next week with the Attorney General, the Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare, and other members of my administration to review other possible actions that can be taken to provide communities with assistance in achieving equal educational opportunity for all.

My objective is to create better educational opportunities consistent with the Nation's commitment to justice and equal opportunity. In my view, massive school busing, while done with the best of intentions, has too often disrupted the lives and impeded the education of the children affected. I believe that ways can be found to minimize forced busing while also remaining true to the Nation's ideals and our educational goals. That is my objective.

stone cold fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 30, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JawKnee posted:

it seems like the particular difference between the Bush jr. administrations and Trumps is that while Bush certainly put on the affable goof hat a lot, the people under him certainly were not incompetent at pursuing their agendas without stepping on eachother's/everyone's toes all the time

While this is certainly a large portion of the difference, Bush also wasn't a totally imbecilic narcissist suffering from dementia.

Bush put on the persona of a dolt because his true nature was rejected by Texas. His goals were to further the agenda of his father and other like minded assholes. In the nights, Bush lays down and doubts his actions and whether he was ever right. An evil and incompetent man, but intelligent enough and with enough of a soul to question his actions even if he is too evil to fully regret them.

Trump is a dolt, and because the previous President of the United States wounded Trump's pride he has set out to crumble anything his idiot brain associates with that President. He has no goals as his entire agenda is to gently caress over those who he sees as having done him wrong. An evil and incompetent man, but too stupid and with absolutely no soul to make him wonder anything other than if he'd spent the day showing enough people who was in charge.

The difference in magnification of the faults of the President between the two administrations is that Bush surrounded himself with competent but likewise evil people while Trump cares only for loyal yes men. There were forces within the Bush White House who would seek to check mistakes and missteps by the President. Any such forces in the Trump White House are driven out lest they ruin the beautiful echo chamber dedicated to singing Trump's praises.

Bush and his administration hosed the world to make a buck while doing what they thought would further their agenda. Trump and his administration will gently caress the world to make a buck or because Donny is once again acting like a 3 year old and someone is playing with the truck he want's to play with or they said something mean to him.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Kale posted:

Holy crap General Horace Warfield is really taking it to Emperor Mengsk this week especially.

But seriously where's the worlds Jim Raynor savior figure here in all of this that's going to come and restore moral order and do it right so we don't all die horribly. Is it really Mueller?

This is Jimmy.

Teddybear posted:

Reckon that the gov has been more fawning

Much more so yes he's running this line.

quote:

GOV. RICARDO ROSSELLO, PUERTO RICO:
And I want to clarify these two points that sometimes seem contradictory. Number one, we do need more aid. But the president and the administration have done everything that they can, that we have asked them to do.

I can't speak to the idea they haven't asked for more, but the idea the administration has done everything it can is hilariously false.

logosanatic
Jan 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

RasperFat posted:

Mostly following WWII where we actually helped a bunch of (white) countries recover from levels of devastation unmatched even by large level natural disasters like Maria.

It's basically been a long downhill slide since then :(

E: one post down but this thread definitely needs more dogs, so here's my puppies

are japan and south korea on the list of countries we helped for moral leadership title. id say yes

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

With so many people leaving his administration, by 2020 Trump is going to be filling up the White House with mannequins and cardboard cutouts controlled by strings he has tied all over himself ala Home Alone. "Administration is running very smoothly. Busy day! Watch many people moving by windows if don't believe. MAGA"

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Kale posted:

Replies to news stories and twitter news or political feeds are almost invariably people taking the absolute shittiest humanly possible position on everything and sneering about how liberals and snowflakes are getting hosed in the rear end. If it's not roleplay it's like people have indeed joined some sort of death cult where the only thing they're concerned with is loving over as many people as humanly possible. It's almost unfathomable really how hosed up the internet has made people or at least what it's brought out in them in nearly complete moral decay and sociopathy.

What's the counter to this? I mean, it's one thing when your "opponent" is a rational person, acting out of rational self-interest, on a basis of reasoned and well meaning intent (however poorly reasoned) - it's entirely another when their objective is no longer understanding / compromise / agreement and just "Winning."

They're not playing the same game as a rational actor. What do you do when their intent is to disrupt and sow dischord? loving literal real life trolling but with loving horriffic outcomes.

And I know, the most vocal and first-posting krew are a self-selecting bunch, so naturally, the ones you see most are the worst of all possible worlds, it just seemed like much less of a problem when such a zero-sum fuckstain didn't, you know, become loving president of the loving united states.

I don't know if there's an answer to the questions I just asked. Maybe it's all rhetorical. Except right now, people are loving dying, and those who try to point that out are immediately outnumbered and outgunned in public forums by the trolls denying reality itself and saying "but Hillary..."

logosanatic
Jan 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Queering Wheel posted:

I still don't get who these people are that are suddenly approving of the president when he shuts up long enough. Are they really that stupid (yes) that they just forget about the poo poo he's done each time once he's quiet for a little while?

these peoples facebook, tv fox news, friends and family and co workers are all preaching anti liberal, pro conservative propaganda all day every day

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Hollismason posted:

I think people should cut out meat all together.

If I'm going to be put out of work I'd rather it be for this reason and not increased automation but work is switching over to pre-pack so..

logosanatic
Jan 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Bottom Liner posted:

Goddamnit someone throw Trump in a loving electric chair already

trumps a peice of poo poo but calling for the execution of a person worse the president cant draw all kinds of attention u dont want. im sure you meant impeach him

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

logosanatic posted:

trumps a peice of poo poo but calling for the execution of a person worse the president cant draw all kinds of attention u dont want. im sure you meant impeach him

No I quite clearly meant what I said. The world will be a much better place when Donald J Trump loving dies. I didn't say bomb the White House or anything illegal. I said he needs to die already. Trump himself made more direct threats against Hillary in the loving campaign.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kale
May 14, 2010

logosanatic posted:

these peoples facebook, tv fox news, friends and family and co workers are all preaching anti liberal, pro conservative propaganda all day every day

Their entire existence really does seem to exist around hating and wishing death and dismay upon Liberals and liberal ideology. That's it, they don't even seem to have any sort of ideology or goals of their own other than "gently caress them all to death". If we make it that far I definitely look forward to the inevitable documentary explaining what the gently caress happened to get all of us collectively to this point in the 2010's exactly. I'm talking like 7 part Ken Burns style deep analysis documentary where each episode has a different core focus and is 90 minutes to 2 hours long.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I too would like Trump too keel over, but from a heart attack or a stroke or some other natural cause because I don't want the FBI at my door. Hi, FBI!

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

No I quite clearly meant what I said. The world will be a much better place when Donald J Trump loving dies. I didn't say bomb the White House or anything illegal. I said he needs to die already. Trump himself made more direct threats against Hillary in the loving campaign.

And, as always needs to be said, Trump is the greatest threat to Trump's life. Here's hoping for a massive, debilitating stroke that leaves him in constant agony for a few months before he croaks.

logosanatic
Jan 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

farraday posted:

What a lying sack of poo poo.

No seriously. If the Wasp was pre deployed to PR to help ahead of Maria it's news to the Navy.

https://www.stripes.com/news/pentagon-adding-uss-wasp-to-puerto-rico-response-usns-comfort-departs-for-island-1.490341#.Wc-ooGhSyUk

This is because they were helping other victims, not because they were ignoring PR, but the entire reason those three ships were there in the first place was in response to Irma, not Maria.

And then the Comfort, he pretends the comfort wouldn't have been useful immediately, well the supposed lack of piers has not managed to prevent the docks from filling up with supplies that can't be distributed. It may just be the piers are available. Also, claiming its too expensive to keep the Comfort or Mercy prepped. Lets ignore the fact of military wasteful spending and point out this is the 3rd major hurricane to make landfall in the US in the past month or so and the projections have all been spot on... HOW MUCH loving PREP DO YOU NEED.

gently caress this guy.

from what ive they were preparing to help pr and then were still surprised how bad the devastation was

and the people in this thread attacking me because i said looking forward we need to really consider how we respond to these climate disasters. rebuilding cities and countries when we should be pulling out of high risk areas

i dont feel people are willing to comprehend the new climate change reality. its no longer a matter of putting a band aid over the disasters. we need to think forward and get ahead of these disasters and rebuilding in the same areas the same way

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/914216744385904640

This is getting old.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Tzen posted:

It just keeps getting worse with this worthless rear end in a top hat. gently caress.

I know we love to compare Bush and Trump here, but it really needs to be said that Trump is a special kind of evil. He actively goes out of his way to lash out at others and set aside time to be petty. When Dubya ran for President I met him at a campaign stop (my mom is a republican and dragged me). The guy is nice as hell. Trump on the other hand, is a known prick. Dubya was a gently caress up.... but he has been aware that he made mistakes and was able to show compassion and connection in moments of suffering. With Trump it is all about him and he is trying to shape a dictatorship by forming all ficus and goals to himself.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/914217117695795201

Oh this will be good

Kale
May 14, 2010

What is he even doing at this point. They have no electricity, infrastructure or internet at this point, they can't see this tweet let alone watch stupid rear end American news networks while they're just trying to survive.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kale posted:

What is he even doing at this point. They have no electricity, infrastructure or internet at this point, they can't see this tweet let alone watch stupid rear end American news networks while they're just trying to survive.

Repeat a lie enough people believe it so if he says Puerto Rico is doing well it has to be

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Is he calling his tweets this morning fake news?

logosanatic
Jan 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tayter Swift posted:

This is the first Trump tweet I've seen with an inverted ratio like that. jfc.

whats inverted ratio mean?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Spiffster posted:

Repeat a lie enough people believe it so if he says Puerto Rico is doing well it has to be

But the people that TRULY MATTER

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/914217477495717889

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

farraday posted:

This is Jimmy.

Much more so yes he's running this line.

I can't speak to the idea they haven't asked for more, but the idea the administration has done everything it can is hilariously false.

This is the United States, throwing money at problems until they get solved is our national goddamn pastime. Puerto Rico almost certainly under requested, but it is literally the Feds' job to over provide to minimize lingering damage!

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

gret posted:

Is he calling his tweets this morning fake news?

No

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/914217477495717889

He's upset people aren't talking to the people who are praising him.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Truly matter people to him are the debt holders of Puerto Rico who want him to hold their feet to the fire in order to get aide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Your Taint posted:

I too would like Trump too keel over, but from a heart attack or a stroke or some other natural cause because I don't want the FBI at my door. Hi, FBI!

The electric chair is a legal execution. If he ends up in one, it'll be because the FBI did it.

• Locked thread