Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was initially thinking Luffy would smash the cake just before Big Mom ate it; but if Sanji is making it using "offensive cooking" maybe Luffy will be the one that eats it instead, regaining all the stamina and strength he'll probably lose fighting Katakuri. It'd just seem weird that the first time he shows off "offensive cooking" after years of hinting about it and the ability of cooking to power up people, it's used to help an enemy, and not an ally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Maybe mom will eat the cake and the straw hats will escape dude lol

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Work Friend Keven posted:

Don't break kayfabe my man

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

tsob posted:

I was initially thinking Luffy would smash the cake just before Big Mom ate it; but if Sanji is making it using "offensive cooking" maybe Luffy will be the one that eats it instead, regaining all the stamina and strength he'll probably lose fighting Katakuri. It'd just seem weird that the first time he shows off "offensive cooking" after years of hinting about it and the ability of cooking to power up people, it's used to help an enemy, and not an ally.

Maybe he knows a recipe that can cure mental illness.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Work Friend Keven posted:

Maybe he won't? Sorry...dude lol.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Seeing a huge crowd including Big Mom herself and everyone but the SHs have an enelface moment when Luffy eats the new cake in one huge bite right before Big Mom's eyes would be really fun and entertaining.

Of course also having Sanji say "we aren't giving this cake to Big Mom, we are giving it to Luffy" like when he used to plan ahead would be totally boss too.

I just hope this doesn't get unnecessarily dragged out 20 chapters till 900.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

We've got enough going on that it would be hard to drag it out too long. If there's something big going down for 900 then it isn't happening here, unless the twist is that Sanji's cake unlocks gear five and Luffy destroys Big Mom (which would be rad, but unlikely).

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I don't even see how they're gonna survive the next two chapters, much less twenty. It's pretty great. :allears:

My own thoughts on the Yonkou rankings, Big Mom could be at the top for all we know. Like, she's the one we've seen the most of, and has anything we've seen pointed to her being behind any of the other emperors?

She's got the largest number of territories under her control, she's got an absolutely huge crew, basically an army, and the top four range from giving Luffy a really hard, hours long fight to basically curbstomping him effortlessly. There are a number of ways she directly controls and influences Whole Cake Island, first through simple ruling and taxing, then through additional DF stuff so she's able to grow her own soul harvesting abilities far beyond what they'd be capable of normally, and finally through arranged marriages. Germa 66 were setup, but political marriage into Big Mom's crew is seemingly a normal thing, and we don't know how the extent to which she's used those marriages to control other crews and possibly countries. All that, and the strongest one-on-one fighter is still herself, by such a huge gap that everybody in this thread agrees, there's no way Luffy or the crew is doing anything but escape for now.

So... why can't she be number one? Because it doesn't make sense narratively? Because other Yonkou were called "Strongest Man in the World" and "Strongest Creature in the World"? Because it feels "too early"?

Blackbeard is obviously the weakest, and we have no idea what Shanks actually capable of, and for all Kaido looks invincible he hasn't done anything yet so who knows. Just based on what we've seen so far, Big Mom's crew looks like it could go toe-to-toe with the world government and it'd still be a close thing, closer even than the fight against Whitebeard's crew.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
In a surprise twist it turns out that the strongest woman in the world is stronger than the strongest man and the strongest creature. Oda does it again.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So... why can't she be number one? Because it doesn't make sense narratively? Because other Yonkou were called "Strongest Man in the World" and "Strongest Creature in the World"? Because it feels "too early"?

Didn't Big Mom have an equally terrifying title? Something like "Natural Born Destroyer"?

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
With how desperate Big Mom is to eat the cake, the outcome is pretty obvious when you think about it.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Clam Chowdown posted:

With how desperate Big Mom is to eat the cake, the outcome is pretty obvious when you think about it.

Sanji would never waste food by poisoning it.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Indiana_Krom posted:

Sanji would never waste food by poisoning it.

you'd be surprised how tasty you can make poison

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, wasn't the plan to inject her with a deadly poison or something? Just jam it down her throat, problem solved.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, wasn't the plan to inject her with a deadly poison or something? Just jam it down her throat, problem solved.

It would be the obvious solution, but it seems like the sort of thing Sanji's code of honor would prohibit. I don't think he would poison food, for the same reason he doesn't use kitchen knives against people.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I can't believe oda has decided to end one piece

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jose posted:

I can't believe oda has decided to end one piece

thanks for bringing bac k your av

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Same reason people insist Mihawk isn't really the World's Strongest Swordsman. Because they are Shanks fanboys.

I assumed Kaidou was a small giant rather than a large human, partly because of the World's Strongest Creature title and partly because it could set up the twist of him being related to Oars.

Shanks would be stronger if he had both arms I guess

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I know these are dying forums and all, but I'm surprised nobody mentioned yet that there's a new OP for OP's hour long special: https://youtu.be/5VYOjL4sgN4

It's surprisingly good, definitely the best OP since WE GO at the start of the timeskip, I guess my only gripe is it doesn't quite feel like an appropriate song for OP, but I guess it works.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Julias posted:

I know these are dying forums and all, but I'm surprised nobody mentioned yet that there's a new OP for OP's hour long special: https://youtu.be/5VYOjL4sgN4

It's surprisingly good, definitely the best OP since WE GO at the start of the timeskip, I guess my only gripe is it doesn't quite feel like an appropriate song for OP, but I guess it works.

I think its less dying forums and more "who watches the anime anymore?"

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Huzzah! posted:

I think its less dying forums and more "who watches the anime anymore?"

Hear, hear.

The last time I watched anime was like, 2 or 3 months ago.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Somebody better post when Brook confronts Big Mom though.

Like, I don't even care about the visuals, I just want to hear Brook's voice actor saying those lines.

I think that's the only anime thing I'm looking forward to. The rest I'm sure will be poo poo.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Eiba posted:

Somebody better post when Brook confronts Big Mom though.

Like, I don't even care about the visuals, I just want to hear Brook's voice actor saying those lines.

I think that's the only anime thing I'm looking forward to. The rest I'm sure will be poo poo.

Similarly I think Jinbei calling her a "mere Yonkou" could be pretty excellent.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I think most people stopped watching the anime around the end of the Fishman Island arc because you can only handle one manga issue that is read in 12 minutes stretched out into 3 episodes for so long.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

RealFoxy posted:

I think most people stopped watching the anime around the end of the Fishman Island arc because you can only handle one manga issue that is read in 12 minutes stretched out into 3 episodes for so long.

the paramount arc was basically the prime place for the anime to add a lot to the little fights that were glanced over for pacing purposes. instead they had ace yelling luffy and luffy yelling ace and i swear to loving god the clopping noise of luffy's sandal against paved stone is engraved into my brain because of all the elongated scenes of luffy running

so i quit once i realized they had no interest in adding filler where characters do anything meaningful or interact with each other in new ways at all despite having half of the named characters in one piece all in a single place. what a waste.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

When I heard that the anime was catching up the manga I thought I noticed a change in Oda's style where he'd leave a lot of obvious action sequences off screen. It's great for pacing, but I also thought it was partially born from a desire to throw the anime a bone. A true genius, that Oda is. However, the anime couldn't be bothered with that poo poo. Original thought? Hmm. . . . no thanks. hehe

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Sanji special showed the exact same flashbacks to his origin like 4-5 times in that 45 minutes it was awful

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I made a clean break from the anime at the time skip and my only regret is that I didn't do it after Impel Down. I'd like to go back and read through Marineford someday because loving yikes it was bad in the anime.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

TriffTshngo posted:

I made a clean break from the anime at the time skip and my only regret is that I didn't do it after Impel Down. I'd like to go back and read through Marineford someday because loving yikes it was bad in the anime.

Do it. I did the inverse and jumped off around the middle of Thriller Bark, occasionally checking back and binging episodes, and the quality difference between reading Marineford and watching it is measured in orders of magnitude. It was the hypest poo poo in the manga, and I literally could not be bothered to watch the anime version.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The movies and specials are the only OP anime worth watching, freed from the shackles of needing to stall forever or terrible directors/animators.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Julias posted:

That opening looks like they made nineteen others and have completely run out of vision.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
as someone who read the manga first i feel so bad for first time anime watchers cause the pacing in impel down through the summit war are perfect in the manga and so loving dragged out and sluggish in the anime

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I really don't like the extra long openings for the anime. Most OPs are 1:30 long for a reason.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

My thought on the Warlords is their strength is also that if all 7 worked together as a team they'd theoretically beat 1 Emperor, and given the members before they started losing them I could see it.

Gecko Moria alone just needs a distraction long enough to cut the shadow and that's game over if they then murder the target whilst knocked out from Moria's power, and Doflamingo and Mihawk etc would certainly be distracting enough.

The problem is of course that the Warlord's don't like eachother, and a number of them don't really like the World Government anyway. They're a theoretical power and that's enough because there's the chance they'll actually work together and own someone.

So yeah, all 7 Warlords are collectively powerful, and individually they're up their they mostly end up being an additional if unreliable tool of the World Government.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

mabels big day posted:

I really don't like the extra long openings for the anime. Most OPs are 1:30 long for a reason.

Agreed, I can only assume they do that because it's cheaper than having both an.OP and ED.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

mabels big day posted:

Honestly I'd rather it be like 10 minutes long if it means less filler it's just easier to skip, we typically skip to 4:30 as it is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

My thought on the Warlords is their strength is also that if all 7 worked together as a team they'd theoretically beat 1 Emperor, and given the members before they started losing them I could see it.

Gecko Moria alone just needs a distraction long enough to cut the shadow and that's game over if they then murder the target whilst knocked out from Moria's power, and Doflamingo and Mihawk etc would certainly be distracting enough.

The problem is of course that the Warlord's don't like eachother, and a number of them don't really like the World Government anyway. They're a theoretical power and that's enough because there's the chance they'll actually work together and own someone.

So yeah, all 7 Warlords are collectively powerful, and individually they're up their they mostly end up being an additional if unreliable tool of the World Government.

Also, the World Government and a few Warlords (plus one ex-Warlord) did take down an Emperor. The system works. Sort of.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Speaking of warlords, does Bartholemew Kuma still retain the usage of his Paw Paw fruit after he became a cyborg?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Speaking of warlords, does Bartholemew Kuma still retain the usage of his Paw Paw fruit after he became a cyborg?

Don't think we've seen him outside him leaving the Sunny after fully converting but if you can feed a gun a dog fruit or a sword an elephant fruit whats the problem with feeding a cyborg a paw fruit?