Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I see we’re doing that thing where people mistake being an rear end in a top hat for leftist advocacy again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

"Fluorides good for teeth so I suppose brushing my teeth with concentrated hydrofluoric acid is even better" -dont need dentist man

Same argument about lawyers.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Replace the constitutional age minimum with an age maximum

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

We are still going to need lawyers even with full communism.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

yronic heroism posted:

Okay, but it seems that some other professions either are less likely to run or are less likely to win. It's not like there's a conspiracy. And I don't buy that it's just because of wealth because most lawyers just aren't that rich. In fact, at the same time the number of lawyers in congress had gone down, net worth of congress is going up.

Obviously the lawyers who don't have the resources to run for office aren't the ones becoming politicians.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I have started to think that we need to re-examine what it means to be in the professional class so we can make sufficiently enough of them woke and strike back at capitalism. I think college graduates in general have more in common with each other than not but there seems to be this weird ivy league thing going on I can't quite articulate other than they seem to be the ones in control of the government. Most lawyers I know are small time, and Make a meager to decent living, but they're not the ruling class.

For a long time now college has supposed to have been part of the middle class and extension the ruling class but it seems like its not that America thinks it's a bunch of temporarily embarrassed millionaires so much as a bunch of rich disconnected minority thinking they're emblematic of everyone else.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Replace the constitutional age minimum with an age maximum

Voting age range. No olds.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mustached Demon posted:

Voting age range. No olds.

I too look forward to reaching an arbitrary age where I have no right to vote anymore because the generation after me thinks I don't know anything.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Star Man posted:

I too look forward to reaching an arbitrary age where I have no right to vote anymore because the generation after me thinks I don't know anything.

This but unironically

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Star Man posted:

See you at Carousel!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

We should try to divide the professional into those who went to the ivies and those who didn't. That's a good idea.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Jizz Festival posted:

Obviously the lawyers who don't have the resources to run for office aren't the ones becoming politicians.

Then whine about rich people rather than targeting whole professions. :eng101:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
A community that rallies behind a 76-year-old geezer that advocates for a higher minimum wage and throwing the book at bankers also thinks that people that are ~*~old~*~ shouldn't be allowed to vote. Sure.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I think they should be able to vote I just also think that just like capitalism consolidates monetary power, age consolidates political power and while we appreciate what's been done, letting people who have potentially been in control for 40 years (notice all the Reagan and Nixon people still lingering around?) Need to step aside and let younger people have SOME say in their governance. So they can vote but no 65+ new to office. You can finish terms but not start new ones.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I see we’re doing that thing where people mistake being an rear end in a top hat for leftist advocacy again.

There's an Orwell quote about this phenomenon.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

All of this is going to become much, much more interesting if Peter Thiel and his ilk ever figure out how to live forever. Can you imagine what a social catastrophe that would be?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Jizz Festival posted:

Yeah it's totally cool that you have to be rich and well-connected to become a politician. The real problem is rude people.

That's a different problem from "Lawyers shouldn't be politicans" which is a really dumb thing to argue because it doesn't loving matter either way. I'm not sure how you fix making sure people from lower economic status can become politicians, and this is a huge problem that does need a fix or some kind of leveling policy, but I do know that banning lawyers from being politicans won't fix it because then you'd probably end up with nothing but business peeps writing laws in our current atmosphere.

If you wanna argue that business peeps are smarter than lawyers then lol have I got a bridge to sell you.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Last few pages of this thread are hysterical

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Kingfish posted:

We are still going to need lawyers even with full communism.

No, lawyers will be tortured and impaled for all to see.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Lawyer, according to the revolutionary dictionary: "Dead man"

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Calibanibal posted:

Last few pages of this thread are hysterical

Especially when you realize steinrokkan is just peeing in the thread and everyone else is splashing each other thinking it's a real debate.

Godspeed, steinrokkan

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Lawyers are probably some of the professionals I'm least concerned about because they don't seem very good at subterfuge generally speaking: see all of trumps legal team as an example.

I know you're probably riffing but if I'm making The List, people who do direct contract work for clients aren't anywhere near the top as anyone whom is directly exploiting labor.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

I think they should be able to vote I just also think that just like capitalism consolidates monetary power, age consolidates political power and while we appreciate what's been done, letting people who have potentially been in control for 40 years (notice all the Reagan and Nixon people still lingering around?) Need to step aside and let younger people have SOME say in their governance. So they can vote but no 65+ new to office. You can finish terms but not start new ones.

This is a cool and good post.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

RuanGacho posted:

Lawyers are probably some of the professionals I'm least concerned about because they don't seem very good at subterfuge generally speaking: see all of trumps legal team as an example.

I know you're probably riffing but if I'm making The List, people who do direct contract work for clients aren't anywhere near the top as anyone whom is directly exploiting labor.

i'm not worried about lawyers being evil or something, but having too many of one specific profession acting as our leaders is a bad idea in general

why not more scientists? doctors (excluding ron paul :laffo:)? engineers? teachers? foremen? just about anyone with leadership experience is a good fit for congress imo, and having your congressperson be a lawyer doesn't seem to bring much in the way of advantages when a ton of other congresspeople are too. and when congress has lawyers that can work for and draft laws for congresspeople, well it's really not super necessary that legislator A be a lawyer

edit: i really don't get why some people are pretending we're trying to dumb down congress or be anti-intellectual in advocating for less lawyers in congress

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 30, 2017

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

the only profession qualified to be leaders of the community are classically-trained psychoanalysts.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Ogmius815 posted:

ITT people who ostensibly believe that state action is necessary as a check on the powerful pointlessly disparage the people who know how the state actually works. Why? Because some of them, but not most or all, are kind of wealthy. Not even like, capitalist class wealthy, just wealthy for professionals. The left ladies and gentlemen.

That would be political scientists, not lawyers. Law =/= the state.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Doctors in general are conservative and I doubt many would support MFA.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 1, 2017

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Gimme a break! Political Scientists don't have the slightest idea how the state actually functions.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Condiv posted:

i'm not worried about lawyers being evil or something, but having too many of one specific profession acting as our leaders is a bad idea in general

why not more scientists? doctors (excluding ron paul :laffo:)? engineers? teachers? foremen? just about anyone with leadership experience is a good fit for congress imo, and having your congressperson be a lawyer doesn't seem to bring much in the way of advantages when a ton of other congresspeople are too. and when congress has lawyers that can work for and draft laws for congresspeople, well it's really not super necessary that legislator A be a lawyer

edit: i really don't get why some people are pretending we're trying to dumb down congress or be anti-intellectual in advocating for less lawyers in congress

We're arguing that it doesn't matter and you're latching on to a really weird thing to argue about because there's no evidence "lawyers" are why trump is president or whatever the gently caress, and banning "lawyers" won't solve the actual problem of the inability of people of lower economic status to participate in politics and become politicians. You haven't identified the problem so you're flailing about lawyers being mean or something and it's not a good look.

Also scientists are starting to become more involved in politics specifically because of Trump. The main reason they didn't is because of the main reason they became scientists in the first place: what they care about is the science and understanding new things, not writing laws.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Kingfish posted:

Gimme a break! Political Scientists don't have the slightest idea how the state actually functions.

Correct, kill political scientists as well.

yronic heroism posted:

Doctors in general are conservative as gently caress and definitely have no interest in MFA.

I like your idea of purging doctors from society, but I think it would be more useful to incarcerate them in forced labor camps where they could train physicians outside the constraints of bourgeois notions of medicine (e.g. the idea that morbid obesity is bad for you)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm tangentially involved with politics and law, I'm guessing I die too?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I know it would all end in an internet posting machine

Tell my family I lov--

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
This is a pretty dumb derail from the much more interesting topic of that one Clintonista's ridiculously elitist tweet about Sanders.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

We're arguing that it doesn't matter and you're latching on to a really weird thing to argue about because there's no evidence "lawyers" are why trump is president or whatever the gently caress, and banning "lawyers" won't solve the actual problem of the inability of people of lower economic status to participate in politics and become politicians. You haven't identified the problem so you're flailing about lawyers being mean or something and it's not a good look.

Also scientists are starting to become more involved in politics specifically because of Trump. The main reason they didn't is because of the main reason they became scientists in the first place: what they care about is the science and understanding new things, not writing laws.

i'm not saying lawyers are mean or that trump is pres cause of lawyers or anything like that. diverse perspectives in leadership is a p good thing and you don't have that when your leadership is mostly lawyers.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Compromise: Ban prosecutors and ambulance chasers only

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dr Christmas posted:

Trump is different than other potential billionaire candidates such as Oprah and Zuckerberg because he's not an out of touch elistist. You might think otherwise, what with Trump inheriting his father's real estate empire and living in a gold tower while Oprah grew up in rural Mississippi and inner-city Milwaukee and Zuckerberg having a (correct me if I'm wrong) middle class background, but that's not what makes one relatable. What makes him relatable is that he hates the same people they hate. That's it. You'd think a man who spent so much time bragging that his ostentatious wealth sets him apart from lesser mortals would be the platonic ideal of an elitist, but he's not because he hates the same brown people his base does.

He hates them so much he wants to give them massive tax cuts.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's pretty amazing just how kneejerk people went off of the incredibly hostile messages of "maybe other professions should also be senators" and "it would be good if bills were easier for the public to read"

I mean, the way people were throwing around Sean Spicer and Trump, you'd think people in here were yelling for single sentence bills by their dealers.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/kimkardashian/status/914235259620749312

https://twitter.com/alexburnsnyt/status/914259503406821376

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

I'd vote for her to get Kanye in the White House :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

aBagorn posted:

I'd vote for her to get Kanye in the White House :shrug:

Kanye is a sad case of a clearly mentally ill man not getting the treatment he desperately needs.

• Locked thread