Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/FUTOCHIMPO/status/913645732778852352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

I get the joke with the American one but why does the Japanese one look terrified?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Getsuya posted:

I get the joke with the American one but why does the Japanese one look terrified?

the fighter keep cooking the monsters

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Red Metal posted:

the fighter keep cooking the monsters

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: Latest blogpost for The Next Project is now up, for your friday evening reading pleasure:

Short version:
  • Subtypes have been ironed out; Paths got the axe, but they live on, mechanically
  • Level advancement mechanics are coming :supaburn:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Getsuya posted:

You'd be terrified too if you were that close to the USA elf.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

USElf appears to have strapped firecrackers to a cat

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Dusklings are like wild fey things that channel Incarnum. Dark ones are the human equivalent to drow or the million other underground humanoid races.

Oh...I got the impression dark ones were short and halfling-like.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

senrath posted:

To be fair I was just listing what I didn't like. I didn't mention that I like the second by second tactical combat, or the fact that (at least in my experience) every class has something to bring to the table that's useful, or that flaws are an interesting (if flawed themselves) system to use.

The shot-clock combat (AFAIK adapted from Aces and Eights) is definitely one of the high-points of HackMaster 5e.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Lurdiak posted:

Oh...I got the impression dark ones were short and halfling-like.

There are two types: tall and thin (the "dark stalker") and short and squat (the "dark creeper").

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The shot-clock combat (AFAIK adapted from Aces and Eights) is definitely one of the high-points of HackMaster 5e.

How'd it work?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Fights are measured out in 1-second rounds. Something like running/moving from one square to the next takes 1 "count", attacking involves waiting a certain number of counts based on weapon speed in-between attacks, and casting a spell takes a certain number of counts for the caster to "cast" a spell before it executes.

Initiative is based on rolling a determine to determine which count you can begin to act at, so lower is better, and different circumstances call for different die rolls. That is, if you're surprised, you'd roll a much larger die than you would if you were engaging "normally", with the higher number meaning you get to engage "later".

The DM calls out ONE! ... and then TWO! ... and then THREE! and so on, with players and the DM moving their pieces and taking their actions step-wise as the counts progress. A Fighter might wait until the FOUR count to begin to act, spend the next five counts moving into position, make an attack roll at the TEN count, and then wait out the next eight counts until they can strike again.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

So it's basically Runequest's strike ranks, but with a random starting rank, and without the 12 rank rounds?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That's not at all what I expected when you said "shot clock".

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Subjunctive posted:

That's not at all what I expected when you said "shot clock".
You have to make an attack every 24 seconds or else you get a delay of game penalty.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yawgmoth posted:

You have to make an attack every 24 seconds or else you get a delay of game penalty.

Or lose possession of your weapon or 2 spell slots.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Haystack posted:

So it's basically Runequest's strike ranks, but with a random starting rank, and without the 12 rank rounds?

I don't know about that analogy, but there's a sort of relationship with AD&D 1e's round getting divided into 10 segments, and then everything taking a certain number of segments. If you took an action that took more segments than there were left in the round, the excess segments would be tacked on the next round.

HackMaster just went the extra step and removed the "round" division between every 10 segments altogether.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
After reading all this Hackmaster-stuff I'm still a bit baffled. I always thought that game was pure fiction, invented solely for Knights of the Dinner Table. :stare:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I mean, that's how it started.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Libluini posted:

After reading all this Hackmaster-stuff I'm still a bit baffled. I always thought that game was pure fiction, invented solely for Knights of the Dinner Table. :stare:

It started out that way, yes. What happened was that in 1999 Wizards of the Coast published a digital archive of Dragon Magazine on CD, but they failed to secure all the various content rights before they did so...which included a bunch of Knights of the Dinner Table comics they'd published in the original print magazines. There was a lawsuit and the settlement was basically an agreement that allowed Kenzer to publish an actual, for-real Knights of the Dinner Table RPG as a derivative work.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That is so beautiful. :allears:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It was honestly kind of a coup for Kenzer because the OSR had yet to come about, digital RPG publishing was still in its infancy, and TSR was dead, which meant that if you wanted a contemporary game based on the AD&D ruleset that Hackmaster had you covered.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
SJG has started advertising a Munchkin CCG.

God help us all.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
Hopefully I'm not intruding but I'm looking for a system recommendation and I'm not sure the right place to ask.

I'm looking for a system that is fast & fun for dungeon crawling. I have a sandbox campaign I'm looking to do and it's got a big focus on exploring a mega-dungeon. I'm also looking to trying out hex-crawling in this, which is something I haven't done before. Mostly the point is that there's a pretty heavy focus on exploration and combat but there's a hub town with plenty of NPCs to interact with. It's potentially gonna be a longer campaign with plenty of level ups, hopefully.

Any suggestions? I have a lot of experience with Pathfinder and a decent amount with Strike. I'm pretty exhausted by 3e edition games, to be honest, though. And I don't think Strike really all that suitable for dungeon crawling but I'm willing to make it work, I'm just worried that encounters will be bogged down a bit for Strike. I'm thinking maybe 5e but I know that game's got a host of balance issues that I'm not particularly fond of.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vinchenz posted:

Hopefully I'm not intruding but I'm looking for a system recommendation and I'm not sure the right place to ask.

I'm looking for a system that is fast & fun for dungeon crawling. I have a sandbox campaign I'm looking to do and it's got a big focus on exploring a mega-dungeon. I'm also looking to trying out hex-crawling in this, which is something I haven't done before. Mostly the point is that there's a pretty heavy focus on exploration and combat but there's a hub town with plenty of NPCs to interact with. It's potentially gonna be a longer campaign with plenty of level ups, hopefully.

Any suggestions? I have a lot of experience with Pathfinder and a decent amount with Strike. I'm pretty exhausted by 3e edition games, to be honest, though. And I don't think Strike really all that suitable for dungeon crawling but I'm willing to make it work, I'm just worried that encounters will be bogged down a bit for Strike. I'm thinking maybe 5e but I know that game's got a host of balance issues that I'm not particularly fond of.

Pathfinder can work for this, but you have to be really sold on Pathfinder to make it a thing. You want a retroclone of some sort - Swords and Wizardry, Labyrinth Lord, maybe Rules Cyclopedia D&D.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There's also the system-selection megathread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430847

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That elf ain't right.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Vinchenz posted:

I'm looking for a system that is fast & fun for dungeon crawling.

I'd recommend Dungeon World, but it may have a bit of a longevity problem if you were planning an epic campaign -- the PCs will hit the level cap pretty sharpish.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Dungeon World also isn't very good. Grab an OSR; Shadow of the Demon Lord is good.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Vinchenz posted:

Retroclones are this. Tbh Second Edition or OD&D is really cool for this, 2e having a neat thing where fighters end up being knight and lords later in levels, with all of the holdings and retainers that comes with.

Strike can work as a dungeon crawl (use the adversarial play rules) but it's not interested in resource management, which many might consider very important to that style of game.

Torchbearer might also be worth looking into for this reason.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Tendales posted:

SJG has started advertising a Munchkin CCG.

God help us all.

Seems two decades too late, doesn't it?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
No see it's genius, by waiting until all the MtG ripoffs have died off they're entering an untapped market

e: Haha, looking at the GTM preview, and holy hell Tom Siddell is wasted on this generic rubbish

Tendales fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 30, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tendales posted:

untapped market

:getout:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

It started out that way, yes. What happened was that in 1999 Wizards of the Coast published a digital archive of Dragon Magazine on CD, but they failed to secure all the various content rights before they did so...which included a bunch of Knights of the Dinner Table comics they'd published in the original print magazines. There was a lawsuit and the settlement was basically an agreement that allowed Kenzer to publish an actual, for-real Knights of the Dinner Table RPG as a derivative work.
They also were allowed to publish Kingdoms of Kalamar with the 3e trade dress. It was super weird.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Vinchenz posted:

This sounds like exactly what Dungeon Crawl Classics was made for. Shadow of the Demon Lord is also fantastic if you want a more fleshed out advancement system. The nice thing is you can always take the aspects of DCC you like and apply them to other games.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tendales posted:

No see it's genius, by waiting until all the MtG ripoffs have died off they're entering an untapped market
I don't know if SJG is willing to do the necessary upkeep for a CCG

it'll be quite the draw on their resources

main phase

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Stop it with the Magic puns or I'll have to deck you!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Vinchenz posted:

Oh also look into 13th Age's living dungeons for some cool dungeon setting inspiration; they're a fun idea.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
No way, keep on adding them to the stack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RIP Monty Haul, the guy who invented being a generous GM

• Locked thread