Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
The worst thing I've ever seen food-wise at the NYS Fair is fried dough. Wine slushies are probably AFP, though.

Non food-wise, I saw a t-shirt in the No Man's Land bordering the Iroquois village that said check me for ticks and to this day, I regret not buying it.

E: New York state is nothing like NYC, for those who don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
W-wow, fried dough? Fried dough?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Come on, fried dough is like a country staple

Who has not read Grapes of Wrath

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Boob milk fried dough.

I went to the Montana state fair and they didn't have much in the way of interesting fried foods. Rodeo clowns with meth mouth, though, there were some of those.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Pannus cotta

E:FB!!!!!

:smuggo:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Boob milk fried dough.

wtf how did you not mention that part

I was gonna say, isn't fried dough the same thing as a funnel cake? It's basically just like a crunchier donut in a weird shape

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
LOOK AT WHAT YOU PIZZA ANARCHISTS HAVE WROUGHT!

(courtesy of the OSHA thread)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Aesop Poprock posted:

wtf how did you not mention that part

I was gonna say, isn't fried dough the same thing as a funnel cake? It's basically just like a crunchier donut in a weird shape

No, no; it was a lame Grapes of Wrath joke.

I do not want to drink breast milk ever.

E: these are more like fried balls of dough? I've never tried it.

Ee: probably tastes like the Chinese buffet doughballs.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
whoops missed the grapes of wrath mention above

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Aesop Poprock posted:

whoops missed the grapes of wrath mention above

To be fair, with me it could go either way because I obviously have some weird food habits.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Fried balls of dough are good

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's different. Fried dough is a, usually flattened, chunk of bread dough dropped in the fryer. Funnel cake is batter that is dripped/poured into the fryer, forming a big swirly mass.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AlbieQuirky posted:

A lot of the older states don't have them, because there were already so many county and local fairs going since the 1700s. Massachusetts doesn't have one either.

No, but Massachusetts has the Big-E (Eastern States Exposition) which is like a six-State Fair for all of New England, basically

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
How do you fair-going people still have gallbladders

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

AlbieQuirky posted:

A lot of the older states don't have them, because there were already so many county and local fairs going since the 1700s. Massachusetts doesn't have one either.

Don't you mean the Commonwealth of Massachusetts?

Edit: The North American Commonwealth is a great name for a hypothetical nation consisting of a unified Canada, USA, and Mexico. God bless the NAC!

Edit 2: someone already came up with this idea and wrote lovely fanfic about it:

http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/North_American_Commonwealth

twoday has a new favorite as of 01:52 on Sep 29, 2017

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Jmcrofts posted:

Dunkies munchkins?

Yeah, I'd gently caress those up in a heartbeat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Schubalts posted:

It's different. Fried dough is a, usually flattened, chunk of bread dough dropped in the fryer.

That's an elephant ear bro.

I like me some fair food, but being from southwest Ohio the big thing was real good gyros. Gyros all day every day.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jmcrofts posted:

Timbits suck my dude. At least here in Freedom Land. Local donut place makes better donut holes.

e - Grand Fromage you gotta come up to the Ohio State Fair sometime. It's a nice Fair, huge too.

Mercedes Colomar has a new favorite as of 04:20 on Sep 29, 2017

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

The Bloop posted:

No, but Massachusetts has the Big-E (Eastern States Exposition) which is like a six-State Fair for all of New England, basically

The Big E is :boom: and so is the Topsfield Fair. The Barnstable County Fair is also pretty boss. There are forty county and local fairs in Mass between late June and mid-October, but a lot of them are kind of lovely. Still.

Big E has great rides and horse pulls. Topsfield has the giant pumpkin, which is always a trip, and bizarre assortments of washed-up rock stars performing on the big stage (in between the pumpkin and the racing pigs). I saw Paul Revere and the Raiders there once, it was embarrassing for everybody.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 04:23 on Sep 29, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Manuel Calavera posted:

e - Grand Fromage you gotta come up to the Ohio State Fair sometime. It's a nice Fair, huge too.

Went with my dad every summer up through high school. My favorite thing as a kid was the catfish pond.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

angerbeet posted:

How do you fair-going people still have gallbladders

Well they don't really last that long and most people don't go to them for more than like a day or two it's not like some NASA project where you're strapped in a capsule and forcefed fried dough for 3 months while rasta bananas are thrown at you

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

some NASA project where you're strapped in a capsule and forcefed fried dough for 3 months

... would.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtEFEdrrXc4

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The individual elements and flavor ideas actually seem pretty good, but holy poo poo, don't do fine dining plating if you don't know how to do fine dining plating.
FTFY.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I can tell this isn't a loss edit because all four panels contain a tragedy

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Schubalts posted:

When I get shrimp tempura, the tail fin is still on and I eat it. Any non-deep fried shrimp tails? Hell no.

600p

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hirayuki posted:

I think that's about right, the Shrimp and Bananas thing. IKEA sells something like them, too, with a rather unfortunate name:

(plus seasonal variations)

And Pineapple Lumps (NZ and maybe Australia?) are kind of like pineapple-flavored circus peanuts enrobed in delicious lovely chocolate.

mate no

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Pineapple lumps are more of a toffee, they're super sweet and sticky. Circus peanuts sound more like our Fruit Puffs or Eskimos, which are puffy and kind of a solid marshmallow I guess?

We've run out of normal tea at work, so tonight I made a customer a Summer Fruits tea with milk and sugar. I asked him specifically and separately whether he still wanted the milk and sugar and he said yes to both. No pics, but it was an awful colour.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

:stonk:

Wtf?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The trick is, the pizza and milk have to be cold. And make sure there isn't too much tomato sauce.

Other than that, it's pretty straightforward.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I'm eating a bowl of homemade tomato sauce with a spoon because I'm too tired to go buy food. It's pretty good tbh.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I'm eating a bowl of homemade tomato sauce with a spoon because I'm too tired to go buy food. It's pretty good tbh.

You're not the only one. I do a sausage and mushroom sauce. That, on a good day, I will eat 60% of with pasta.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

elise the great posted:

... abdominal adipose skirts

MODS!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

"Meatloaf stuffed tomatoes"

Try to guess what this is. Just guess. Bottled salad dressing mixed with sour cream.

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

elise the great posted:

I'm just here to appreciate your correct use of "panniculus" instead of the popular malapropism "pannus," which half my coworkers can't get loving straight no matter how many times we discuss corneal fibrous growths vs. abdominal adipose skirts

NEWS FLASH: Previously pregnant placenta potluck planner pooh-poohs pannus, praises panniculus!

PurdWerfect has a new favorite as of 00:08 on Oct 1, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And people say I shouldn't be following SA in tyool 3017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo