Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

skylined! posted:

the gently caress kind of scientific poll includes a colloquial phrase in their questioning

Protip: Any time Fox News puts up a poll that doesn't have a "source" at the bottom, it was likely done by unpaid interns sent out onto Avenue of the Americas/Sixth Avenue and flagging down tourists.

EDIT: Almost October Dog Tax:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

logosanatic posted:

no...climate change is now. the old model of living wherever we want and then expecting to rebuild if things get torn down is not sustainable

there are people in houston that have had their homes flooded multiple times. they rebuild because insurance covers it

maybe we should start thinking about moving people away from areas that get demolished frequently. that applies to white people living in coasts to puerto ricans living on small island

Nobody should reply to you until you explain what model phone you're posting from that doesn't automatically capitalize the beginning of a sentence.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Beefeater1980 posted:

Going back to this, I find it amusing because the numbers are out of whack even for Wall Street: 650k+ annual isn't "both work at an investment bank," it's "both are moderately senior and successful bankers at one of a very few bulge bracket banks." Or a bit more senior and a white shoe law firm, a bit more senior still and a big 4 accounting firm, etc.
I thought analysts 2-3 years out of MBA programs made $300k+ before bonus on Wall St.

One of my former students, at age 24, makes $500k before bonus at a PE firm, though I realize this is an anomaly.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 1, 2017

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I can't think of a single reason why a hurricane in Puerto Rico, after two equally devastating hurricanes in areas where lots of white people live, spurs talk of not rebuilding due to climate change.

It's probably that people are becoming very rational and logical now.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Burt Buckle posted:

I wish Puerto Rico were a state.

Even if it were I'm not convinced Trump would care one iota more.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Just to put things into perspective:

September was, for most of the month, one of Trump's best months.

No major developments in the Russia case.

He managed to hold his head up and act vaguely neutrally presidential through two hurricanes. I mean, it was photo-op stuff, but it was what was to be expected.

(Up until the last week or so).

I thought that September was a lull, and for the most part, it was. This next month, October, I think will be pivotal. I mean, its easy to predict there will be controversy in the Trump Administration, but something tells me that this will be pivotal.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Stereotype posted:

I can't think of a single reason why a hurricane in Puerto Rico, after two equally devastating hurricanes in areas where lots of white people live, spurs talk of not rebuilding due to climate change.

It's probably that people are becoming very rational and logical now.

Hey some of us were rooting for Hurricane Phoenix and a deep conversation about letting mangroves reclaim our coastline when Irma came in.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
It honestly makes me sort of worried about Honolulu getting hit by a hurricane. We are also in the middle of a big ocean of water. Some people say it is even bigger than the one Puerto Rico is in

They did just change the reccomended amount of emergency supplies from one week to two.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Petr posted:

Nobody should reply to you until you explain what model phone you're posting from that doesn't automatically capitalize the beginning of a sentence.

"Everyone should move to the few areas which won't be unlivable until 2060 - every other spot on the planet should be vacated *now*." - a dumbshit troll who doesn't care about logistics, just what he read on some Russian blog

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Stereotype posted:

It honestly makes me sort of worried about Honolulu getting hit by a hurricane.

Honolulu will never get hit by a hurricane.
they're called cyclones in the Pacific

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

glowing-fish posted:

Just to put things into perspective:

September was, for most of the month, one of Trump's best months.

No major developments in the Russia case.

He managed to hold his head up and act vaguely neutrally presidential through two hurricanes. I mean, it was photo-op stuff, but it was what was to be expected.

(Up until the last week or so).

I thought that September was a lull, and for the most part, it was. This next month, October, I think will be pivotal. I mean, its easy to predict there will be controversy in the Trump Administration, but something tells me that this will be pivotal.

October was when the stock market fell apart in 2008 (and 1929) so maybe we will get another.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'd say that PR should introduce a new referendum to join the US and get in to the Union ASAP so they are there in time to help vote out Trump but I guess that is a bit rushed.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

This is actually confusing enough that NOAA calls them cyclones but their office is the "Central Pacific Hurricane Center" because otherwise people would be confused.

Everyone here calls them hurricanes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

I'd say that PR should introduce a new referendum to join the US and get in to the Union ASAP so they are there in time to help vote out Trump but I guess that is a bit rushed.

"You can have Puerto Rico as a state when we get 'East California' and 'South Virginia.'" - the GOP

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Koalas March posted:

No but the senate would have two new voices that actually vote and have a say to get something done and the house would have 5(?) potential reps as well. Voiceless non voting reps can't do crap in this environment

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Everyone should move to the few areas which won't be unlivable until 2060 - every other spot on the planet should be vacated *now*." - a dumbshit troll who doesn't care about logistics, just what he read on some Russian blog

don't forget the other key point to his thesis, taxes shouldn't pay for it

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Stereotype posted:

I can’t think of a single reason why a hurricane in Puerto Rico, after two equally devastating hurricanes in areas where lots of white people live, spurs talk of not rebuilding due to climate change.

It’s probably that people are becoming very rational and logical now.

As far as I can tell it is one person. Who also happens to have a Steve Bannon avatar with redtext saying they hate minorities.

Also all the people joking about how Kelly failed to reign in Trump need to remember that he actually has done an amazing job at bringing the within the White House office politics civil war to a swift close.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

logosanatic posted:

poo poo were at the coup and assassinate president stage. its like im listening to the conservative part of my family during obama. it wasnt ok whem they did it. its still not ok to talk like that now even if trump is poo poo. elections coming in couple years.

once u go coup youve lost

coups didnt work in turkey they still ended up with dictator. the population got to point where they expected depended on military to coup when needed

conservatives calling for a coup against obama were just racist dumbass white people with no case.

the case against trump is so massive and easily built that the question is "where to start?" not "am i just being anti-republican?"

there IS a difference and dont ever compare the two in such a dismissive way.

the amount of scandals feels like it has been a daily occurrence but we still might be a long way off seeing even rumblings of impeachment because the house and senate are R locked and they pledge their allegiance to trump.

this post is not intended to be pro-coup of trump

i guess i just wanted to call you a poo poo-swallower while also contributing my opinion on the take of conservatives against obama vs liberals against trump (not that it should be difficult to see the difference for anyone with moral compass)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nah, they're still called Hurricanes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hawaii_hurricanes

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

won't somebody please think of the typhoons

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I personally call them water twisters

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Koalas March posted:

He wouldn’t, but being fully integreated into the American political order is a nearly incalculable benefit. PRs current status is one that’s the result if a century of neglect and racism. The exact course of the flames burning it down has been set by Trump, but weve been piling the wood for decades and should hardly be surprised at how thoroughly it burns.

No matter how bigoted and useless he is he couldn’t have caused a problem like the one PR faces now in the 8 months he’s been in office.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Stereotype posted:

October was when the stock market fell apart in 2008 (and 1929) so maybe we will get another.

I think the problem in the US economy will probably be in the retail sector. As discussed in the retail thread, there have been a lot of problems with big box retailers and department stores this year, and that is leading to malls closing because they are losing their anchor stores. Many chains, such as Sears, are hanging on because they have convinced investors to wait. If this holiday shopping season is disappointing for them (it probably will be, especially because of the economic effect of Houston and Miami being hit by hurricanes), there will probably be a longer string of bankruptcies and dominoing retail closures in January-March of next year.

At which point, we could already be in a nuclear war, so who knows?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Ivanka's dad says that people who use private email servers for government business should be locked up. The shoe is now on the other foot and her company makes those shoes in a sweatshop. :thunk:

Crain posted:

Read the drat thread.

Don't tell me what to do while I'm at work, you gosh darn sinner. Shame on you!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I got banned from Ask_TheDonald for pointing out that Trump's response to PR has been terrible.

Apparently I broke Rule 6: "ONLY PARTICIPATE IN GOOD FAITH We are a PRO TRUMP subreddit. It is fine to debate issues of policy or ask for Supporter opinions on the President, the First Family or the Trump Administration. However, anyone using this subreddit as a "soapbox" to demean the President, the First Family or the Administration is subject to being banned. "

:ironicat:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The website of free speech.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Isn't a cyclone more like a tornado? I thought typhoons were Pacific hurricanes?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

I got banned from Ask_TheDonald for pointing out that Trump's response to PR has been terrible.

Apparently I broke Rule 6: "ONLY PARTICIPATE IN GOOD FAITH We are a PRO TRUMP subreddit. It is fine to debate issues of policy or ask for Supporter opinions on the President, the First Family or the Trump Administration. However, anyone using this subreddit as a "soapbox" to demean the President, the First Family or the Administration is subject to being banned. "

I mean, this is the subreddit spreading false testimonials from supposed Puerto Ricans claiming everything is fine and Donald Trump is saving lives.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Mr Interweb posted:

Isn't a cyclone more like a tornado? I thought typhoons were Pacific hurricanes?

typhoons and hurricanes are both names for tropical cyclones

If you've seen the term ACE banded around this year with regards to hurricanes, it stands for Accumulated Cyclone Energy.

e: the 2017 season has the sixth highest ACE on record, despite being only halfway over :stonklol:.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Niton posted:

typhoons and hurricanes are both names for tropical cyclones

If you've seen the term ACE banded around this year with regards to hurricanes, it stands for Accumulated Cyclone Energy.

e: the 2017 season has the sixth highest ACE on record, despite being only halfway over :stonklol:.

So why does this picture come up when I type "cyclone" in google image search? :colbert:

https://www.thefix.com/sites/default/files/styles/article/public/cyclone.jpg

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

So why does this picture come up when I type "cyclone" in google image search? :colbert:

What's your point? That's an image of a land hurricane.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Mr Interweb posted:

A tornado is a type of nontropical cyclone, and while they're sometimes called Cyclones, they aren't considered ones by the meteorogical definition!

They have the same definition, but very different geneses and durations :eng101:

Niton fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 1, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Stereotype posted:

September 15th was Lehman Brothers and the beginning of the collapse. Sarah Palin gave her famous interview a couple days after.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 1, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
but who's this????

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Burt Buckle posted:

What's your point? That's an image of a land hurricane.

No, land hurricanes are Derechos and Super Derechos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_2012_North_American_derecho

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

but who's this????

It's an enemy from Final Fantasy 6, named Typhon (or Chupon, depending on the version)

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Typhon_(jFinal_Fantasy_VI)

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

enraged_camel posted:

The default politics subreddit had some mod changes recently who are now zealously enforcing bans against people who mock trumpets. Muh feels muh free speech etc.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Is this a high water mark for mad tweets in a day?

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/914310901855129601

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

BIG HEADLINE posted:

No, land hurricanes are Derechos and Super Derechos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_2012_North_American_derecho

I see your derecho and raise u a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoscale_convective_vortex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Oh god his 'victory lap' tomorrow is going to be sooo loving bad.

• Locked thread