Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

Yeah, I was sad about that too. Must really suck to keep giving up your lifespan to animate some rear end in a top hat flowers. And then on top of it, one of your own people slaughters them all just by walking around.

Actually, makes me feel worse.
I didn't realize the anime had filler like that. Were other fights changed before as well?

The Hody fight. they added in a backstory that undermined it (he was just racist bc his idols/peers were not bc he was almost captured by slavers) and Luffy basically one shots him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Shadow0 posted:

I didn't realize the anime had filler like that. Were other fights changed before as well?
You sir are in for multiple major surprises.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Shadow0 posted:

Edit: Imagine if they have to pay taxes too.

Actually, now that I think about it, it's basically the same thing but with cutting out the middleman of having to work and skipping the conversion of your time into money.

Having a bit of an existential crisis here now...

EmmyOk posted:

King Kong Gun doesn't struggle at all against Doffy it immediately wrecks him

Oh yeah. They really did ruin that fight.
It's a shame because a lot of people tune into the anime just to see moments like fights.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 14, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Shadow0 posted:

Yeah, I was sad about that too. Must really suck to keep giving up your lifespan to animate some rear end in a top hat flowers. And then on top of it, one of your own people slaughters them all just by walking around.

Edit: Imagine if they have to pay taxes too.

Actually, makes me feel worse.
Hahahaha
Most of them. Especially post timeskip. They also make stuff like Luffy smashing Caesar with the Grizzly Magnum seem like a struggle when it's meant to be a smackdown.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kild posted:

The Hody fight. they added in a backstory that undermined it (he was just racist bc his idols/peers were not bc he was almost captured by slavers) and Luffy basically one shots him

Yeah, in the manga he's basically Arlong 2.0 only not nearly as threatening or interesting. I forget, were any fights in the first half altered significantly for the anime or did all that not really start until after the timeskip?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Whitebeard loses half his head not just his tache to Akainu but instead of a scrap just immediately owns him incredibly hard.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
So I've been overthinking it but, is there any real penalty to just going through with the wedding? What kind of organization oversees these kinds of things? It's sort of up to Luffy whether or not he honors the contract, and he's a pirate, so he can just do whatever he wants anyway. And it seems like both parties involved won't care much what Sanji does afterwards.

Honestly, they could just form a regular alliance, especially since they are both very much for the alliance, but I can see this is as sort of how Big Mom does things so it makes sense.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
From what we know at the present time, not really, aside from likely losing Sanji forever, which is still a big enough deal to try and go save Sanji.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also a huge amount of her crew are family members so she wants grandkids out of it too you'd imagine.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Also a huge amount of her crew are family members so she wants grandkids out of it too you'd imagine.

actually arent all the direct big mam pirates members through birth or marriage? there are no non related members that are allowed to call themselves big mam pirates. the foot soldiers are all things with her soul in it (i dont remember seeing random human mooks amongst her crew and people who live in that town are not in the crew)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
^That's not really true, such as in Pekom's case.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Julias posted:

^That's not really true, such as in Pekom's case.

they are hostile toward pekom's so we dont know if he had a significant other considering what mom does when people betray her she either punishes them or their friends/relatives no? considering how harshly she treats lola's sister because lola ran away

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 16, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't think Baron Tamago is a family member either?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I don't think Baron Tamago is a family member either?

I believe he has a relationship? seems to get along well with smoothie

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ask yourself this though, who wouldn't get along well with a giant egg themed baron with a teacup hat he drinks out of!

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Ask yourself this though, who wouldn't get along well with a giant egg themed baron with a teacup hat he drinks out of!

who can evolve like a pokemon as well...you are right

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
The Hody conversation makes me wonder - I know the anime added an extra flashback showing him being captured by human slavers, but did they compensate by removing or altering the scene at the end of the arc where he tells Fukaboshi he has no deep reason to hate humans? Or is that scene just nonsensical in the anime?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

The Hody conversation makes me wonder - I know the anime added an extra flashback showing him being captured by human slavers, but did they compensate by removing or altering the scene at the end of the arc where he tells Fukaboshi he has no deep reason to hate humans? Or is that scene just nonsensical in the anime?

i believe the reveal where he was full of poo poo was in a flashback

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AkumaHokoru posted:

I believe he has a relationship? seems to get along well with smoothie

AkumaHokoru posted:

who can evolve like a pokemon as well...you are right

Are these manga spoilers?

Okay, it makes more sense if the marriage meant Sanji was trapped there. Though again, the ceremony doesn't really change Sanji's situation, and it was commited under duress anyway. But it does make for a sense of urgency I guess. Germa 66's arrival might have made more sense for that instead, but again, I'm just overthinking things.
Reminds me a lot of Robin being taken away at Enis Lobby.

The real question is: what will they do with Pudding?
And Pekoms.
I guess they'll probably sail off with Lola's dad.

Also, were a lot of those Lola flashbacks added in after the fact? I don't remember Nami receiving any kind of vive card then.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
She did but I had completely forgotten too.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

Are these manga spoilers?

Okay, it makes more sense if the marriage meant Sanji was trapped there. Though again, the ceremony doesn't really change Sanji's situation, and it was commited under duress anyway. But it does make for a sense of urgency I guess. Germa 66's arrival might have made more sense for that instead, but again, I'm just overthinking things.
Reminds me a lot of Robin being taken away at Enis Lobby.

The real question is: what will they do with Pudding?
And Pekoms.
I guess they'll probably sail off with Lola's dad.

Also, were a lot of those Lola flashbacks added in after the fact? I don't remember Nami receiving any kind of vive card then.

She received it then

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I remembered because they flashback to it when Ace was dying a lot.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I started the anime from the beginning again, something to have on in the background while I do other stuff.

That's what I told myself then Captain Kuro revealed his master plan and I got sucked in. Kuro seems like the perfect antagonist to Luffy, a pirate that hates being a pirate and is going to murder his loyal crew to remain "dead" to the marines. I feel like there is alot more story that could have been told with that character, especially coming later on after Luffy has amassed a larger crew.

I also thought it was funny how all the pirates freak out about Luffy having devil-fruit powers. Just everything about the East Blue arcs seem so fun and innocent. Then Mihawk floats by on his ridiculous mini boat and totally destroys the most deadly pirate in that sea because he is bored. That's probably the moment when I got really invested into the show/manga, seeing how big the world would become.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I know these are dying forums and all, but I'm surprised nobody mentioned yet that there's a new OP for OP's hour long special:https://youtu.be/5VYOjL4sgN4

It's surprisingly good, definitely the best OP since WE GO at the start of the timeskip, I guess my only gripe is it doesn't quite feel like an appropriate song for OP, but I guess it works.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I think it's less that these are dying forums and more that barely anyone here bothers with the anime anymore.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i still watch the anime, but i watch in arc sized chunks

one pace still owns

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Julias posted:

I know these are dying forums and all, but I'm surprised nobody mentioned yet that there's a new OP for OP's hour long special:https://youtu.be/5VYOjL4sgN4

It's surprisingly good, definitely the best OP since WE GO at the start of the timeskip, I guess my only gripe is it doesn't quite feel like an appropriate song for OP, but I guess it works.

'Hour long special' means they stretched out 10 minutes content to an hour instead of the usual 25 minutes. It was half repeated flashbacks Do you know All Blue and most of the rest was eyecatch.

Agreed that the new OP is alright but doesn't really feel One Piece.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I still do just the anime; I've just been very busy / lazy lately. But now I have time to type too many words! (Sorry)

I finally watched the movie Gold.
I liked it a lot, which surprised me since I thought I wasn't going to when I started watching it.
I have no idea how One Piece's economy functions. Gold seems to be endlessly plentiful. That guy only had a quarter of the world's supply as well? I have no idea how the King of Pirates obtained all the world's wealth if they can built towers of solid gold like that and just give gold dust out for free.
Also the crew seems to be a bit too many people. They couldn't even all get their own person to fight.

Regarding recent episodes:

Oda's concept of chivalry is --- well, I guess the concept has never actually made a ton of sense anyway.
Sanji blocked the woman from getting hit with the plate, which I guess maybe he would not have done if it were a man? And no other Strawhat would have done this if they could because they aren't chivalrous? Or something?
Then there's a flashback where I can't figure out if they are demanding a female cook because they are progressive and want more diversity in the workplace and more opportunities for women to work, or more likely just so they have someone to harass, but then Zeff admits he only knows how to communicate through violence and while that is okay for men and children, it's not for women. And then they just stand there smiling about it as he walks off.
I mean, I know it's anime and Japan and all, but it was all just kind of silly to me. I used to like Sanji a lot when he was just a kickcook, but Oda keeps making him into a vehicle for his outdated views on various groups.

I think it's funny that Sanji goes from one abusive father to another one, except this second one secretly loves him. Zeff was ready to kill Sanji until he mentioned All Blue. (Which seems like it would actually just be right there at the cape Laboon was at [and is also the lamest of the Strawhat goals imo.])

I also think it's funny that this whole time I kept thinking Sanji was 3ji, but then thought "san" is a pretty common sound in Japanese so I was probably the only one thinking that, and then it turned out to be true (though I feel like this arc was probably added more recently than the character's name).

Also, the clones thing seems like it ought to be a pretty big deal.
And how do the soldiers not all realize the entire army is comprised of just 5 people? I think there is only like 1 female. (Does this make them more progressive than Zeff?) How does no one notice this? They don't even have memories, shouldn't that make them suspicious something is wrong?
Maybe they just thought (/realized) they were all generic anime background characters so it made sense to them.

I feel like Oda has really gone off track from a classic pirate adventure with all this sudden technology. They have airships and everything. If Luffy had just waited a year or two, he could have just flown to the final island.

Also, we've finally confirmed that Sanji has two eyes:

Now if only we could find out what happened to Zoro...

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 17, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
We always knew that, he just always covers one because his dart-brows both swirl in the same direction so he looks like an idiot if he doesn’t.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I think the chivalry thing is just Zeff and Sanji, other OP characters don't seem to care so much about gender.

Re the clones, the soldiers themselves are trained / brainwashed to just accept it, and it's hardly as if other military forces would be able to notice due to the uniforms and the fact they're usually being too shot up to care.

The technology level has always been weird in OP. Hell, they even have rifles which can apparently fire endlessly without ever needing reloading! But most of the mad science stuff seems to be very restricted and not much use to the general populace.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

When is this series supposed to take place anyway (I think back in the Skypeia arc it was implied to be some time in the 1500's or something like that, albeit a slightly more progressive version it would seem)? Not that it really seems to matter considering the aforementioned weird technology we see on display.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 17, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Larryb posted:

When is this series supposed to take place anyway (I think back in the Skypeia arc it was implied to be some time in the 1600's or something like that, albeit a slightly more progressive version it would seem)? Not that it really seems to matter considering the aforementioned weird technology we see on display.

It doesn't even take place in our world... How far have you watched up to?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Considering he just noticed Sanji's eyes switched I'm going to guess he has all like 800 episodes on shuffle.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I'm caught up with the manga but currently working through the anime (alternating between both halves to cut down on the backlog), so up to Skypeia in the first half and Punk Hazard in the second.

It's an alternate universe yes (unless it's not even on the same planet, which is possible considering the lack of any real Earth locations in this world), but I was just referring to the year. There's a specific date written in Noland's journal which is said to have been 400 years ago (1122 to be exact), putting the current series some time in the 1500's.

socialsecurity posted:

Considering he just noticed Sanji's eyes switched I'm going to guess he has all like 800 episodes on shuffle.

I'm not the one who posted about that.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 17, 2017

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ha guess I'm the one who's not paying attention now.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

I think the chivalry thing is just Zeff and Sanji, other OP characters don't seem to care so much about gender.

Except when they (especially Zoro) do care about gender. The oddest example is Zoro being shocked that Enel would zap Robin, because she's a woman.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zoro also took it easy on Monet and just so many other things like goddamn

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbf that’s been a thing since he made a hole for the lady assassins to fall in at whisky peak, then nearly crushed Ms Monday(?)’s skull instead of just slashing her, it just didn’t stand out because Zoro also does stuff like mowing down the marines at Ennes Lobby with the back of his blade.

Although then the Monet fight would still be retarded because he could have used a back blade haki attack and been done with it, but then Luffy looks even worse.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

Tbf that’s been a thing since he made a hole for the lady assassins to fall in at whisky peak, then nearly crushed Ms Monday(?)’s skull instead of just slashing her, it just didn’t stand out because Zoro also does stuff like mowing down the marines at Ennes Lobby with the back of his blade.

Although then the Monet fight would still be retarded because he could have used a back blade haki attack and been done with it, but then Luffy looks even worse.

Haha, I'm not sure crushing some lady's head is an example of chivalry. I always saw it as demonstrating that he was physically stronger than even the people that pride themselves on their physical strength.
Also, I think the Monet fight was one of the best moments in One Piece. It was far more interesting than if I he had just cut her.

Though Zoro's relationship with chivalry is a bit strange, because of random moments like:

Silver2195 posted:

Except when they (especially Zoro) do care about gender. The oddest example is Zoro being shocked that Enel would zap Robin, because she's a woman.

It was so out-of-the-blue. (Edit: Upon rewatching the scene, I guess she didn't attack him first like I thought, but still - Robin is just as much a combatant as anyone else.)

And Zoro's whole backstory is about a woman that hated that she was a woman because it meant she couldn't be the best swordsman, and then Zoro complaining that she is already stronger than him and that she could go on to the be the best.

Then he meets Tashigi, who looks exactly like her and whom every single character constantly calls weak, including him, and she rarely proves them otherwise. Especially on Punk Hazard. I know Luffy and Monet call her weak there, and I'm sure others did too.
She's such a frustrating character for me because she seems rather content to just be weak and have everyone acknowledge it.

Also w.r.t. the recent episode:
I like the people running toward Luffy with their rifles above their heads. Were they gonna hit him with it?

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Man Big Mama's endless pit of abilities is really dumb. Prometheus and Zeus, and the whole weather changing because she's angry. I was really hoping for a Luffy and Co to crash the wedding and ruin everything but things took a surprising turn! The montage means Sanji really left the group :(. Hope I'm wrong.