Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The wall won't stop poo poo. AGC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

*20th

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Pander posted:

What's the angle here?

"Those crafty messicans will always find a way to get in here!"

"The wall is a really dumb idea."

"in the future, personal jetpacks and helipacks will be ubiquitous"

I'm kinda not sure what the point is here and I don't know Gamble all that well enough to infer.

He seems to be opposed to having a border wall in general, if we can take Reagan comparisons at face value:

He's still a pretty crap dude one the whole though:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bombadilillo posted:

Just know you always switch. Move along

If you switch or don't the odds are 50%/50% right so it doesn't matter what you do? One door has the car and the other the goat?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I've never forgiven Obama for changing the name of Ayers Rock.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

this comic rules because he's saying trump is sundowning

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

If you switch or don't the odds are 50%/50% right so it doesn't matter what you do? One door has the car and the other the goat?

just read the wikipedia article and spare us

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

oddium posted:

this comic rules because he's saying trump is sundowning

It's a nice thought but I think you're giving him too much credit.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Sagebrush posted:

just read the wikipedia article and spare us

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

He had to be trolling...anyone interested in the problem has read a thing about it by now

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Pants Donkey posted:

Monty Hall is dead. Out of respect, I request nobody start a multi-page derail about goats.

Why is it always this thread?!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Nyarai posted:

Why is it always this thread?!

The Monty Hall problem shows up on every forum everywhere. Mostly when people want to seem smart.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
That amazing race toon is pretty good

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

God does not play let's make a deal.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

If Monty didn't know where the car was, should you switch?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Dude was overrated. Didn't even give advice for people who'd rather have the goat than the car.

e: nevermind, I just realized you can also gently caress cars.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Tibalt posted:

You should never switch, because you've already got a 1 in 3 chance of being right and if you win you can say "suck it math nerrrrrrrrrrrrds!"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Abyssal Squid posted:

He's still a pretty crap dude one the whole though:

I do like the way "Obamanos" sounds, like it was a game Biden made up for White House visits.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tibalt posted:

If Monty would sometimes accidentally reveal the car? Yeah, in that alteration of the situation it doesn't matter whether you switch. Switching is only right if you're guaranteed Monty will never reveal the car.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Monty, would you eat Door #2 if it was made of barbecue spare ribs?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Flashback sunday:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm glad she, personally, gets marginalized because I hate her.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Flashback sunday:

What type of professional enviroment tolerate something like this, or this is some textbook strawman? I am asking because I am curious if people this rear end in a top hat exists.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

zelda i will be ur рыцарь

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Brexit clowns hit the road for Manchester – Chris Riddell on the forthcoming Conservative party conference"

Sunday Telegraph:

Independent on Sunday:

Times:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Tei posted:

What type of professional enviroment tolerate something like this, or this is some textbook strawman? I am asking because I am curious if people this rear end in a top hat exists.

Fox News, for one

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tei posted:

The Master suppression techniques is a framework articulated in 1945 by the Norwegian psychologist and philosopher Ingjald Nissen.[1] These techniques identified by Nissen are ways to indirectly suppress and humiliate opponents. In the late 1970s the framework was popularized by Norwegian social psychologist Berit Ås,[2] who reduced Nissen's original nine means to five. Master suppression techniques are defined as strategies of social manipulation by which a dominant group maintains such a position in a (established or unexposed) hierarchy. They are very prominent in Scandinavian scholarly and public debate, where the expression is also used to refer to types of social manipulation not part of Ås's framework.[3] Master suppression techniques are sometimes called domination techniques.[4]

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Flashback sunday:

I've been reading this thread for about five years now and I still don't know what these comics are or how they fit in. Can someone explain to me please?

Also while I'm here: what happened to Deep Hurting?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

raging bullwinkle posted:

He draws a cartoon every 3 months or so. We post it and move on.

I think he might be left-wing version of all those conservative cartoonists who have built up years worth of ideas for Anti-Hillary cartoons and can't really cope with not being able to use them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

raging bullwinkle posted:

I've been reading this thread for about five years now and I still don't know what these comics are or how they fit in. Can someone explain to me please?

This misses a question about why DBD is banned to properly fill the politoon thread bingo.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I went to make my annual pilgrimage to Kreider's comic about Reagan, seems the site is down: http://www.thepaincomics.com/weekly040609a.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcz36EfinJw

That's so crass it's unreal.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 1, 2017

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I'm actually wishing for an angry evangelist trashing Hef just to break up the dull eulogical cartoons.

It'll happen, I'm sure; but it won't be an Evangelist.

"Hefner wasn't that smart. I once spent hours with him discussing "Darine Stern". He disagreed when I said that it was racist, that Stern is unfappable now..."

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Alhazred posted:

Flashback sunday:

I like how the guys are doing the speak no/see no/hear no evil thing. And they kinda look like monkeys! But then, everyone else in this comic looks like a Dark Crystal muppet.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Well it's Clinton Clinton Clinton Clinton Clinton Clinton Clinton Clinton Clinton Clinton Clinton Clinton Mushroom Mushroom

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Kirschen posted:

Succot 2017 will begin in the evening of Wednesday, 4 October. Hag Sameah, Happy Holiday.
I want to thank all of you who have made a New Year's donation to Dry Bones. Your gifts are really important to keeping us alive and drawing.

Lich posted:

O.J. Simpson plans on heading to the Sunshine State after his prison release.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hmm, if only this message could be tied into current events... nah, too hard, better just ask for money.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
[quote="Ragnar34" post=""476934646"]

e: nevermind, I just realized you can also gently caress cars.
[/quote]

Whoa. That's a real game changer.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
O.J. will break your doors down and rape your wife. A Stiglich Cartoon.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Did they actually get to keep the goats

I assumed it was just the physical representation of failure

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

endlessmonotony posted:

IMO it's easier to figure out if you flip the problem on it's head and decide you'd rather have a goat than a car. There's a 2/3 chance you picked a goat at the start, and that doesn't change when one goat is revealed.

Actually, did the contestant actually win a goat or were they props? I always assumed they won a goat (which they could presumably turn down if they didn't want a goat) but I just realized that was probably a stupid assumption...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003

quote:

Interviewer: People who got stuck with the "zonks," the joke prizes, were they good-natured about losing out?

Monty Hall: In 4,700 shows, I got kissed 50,000 times. Even when they lost, they were very nice about it. But you know the law in game shows - if you go on a show and you win a donkey, that's your prize. You're entitled to it. So if a person won one of our zonks, they could take it home. But in 99 percent of the cases, we would offer them something after the show - a washer and dryer or a color TV or something, instead of that very valuable zonk, and they would take it. In 1 percent of the cases, they didn't.

There was a time when a farmer won five calves and he wanted the calves. That cost me a fortune because when you rent them from the animal place, they're expensive. And there were other cases like that. Like people won dogs; they would keep dogs. They wouldn't keep cats. They would keep dogs. It was a very genial atmosphere, over 27 years.

Source

• Locked thread