Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I haven't heard of that, but there is a Korean pine-flavored soda that is highly reminiscent of floor cleaner. Maybe it could give you some clues in your research?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I haven't heard of that, but there is a Korean pine-flavored soda that is highly reminiscent of floor cleaner. Maybe it could give you some clues in your research?

Mmm, gimme some of that Pine-Sol! If I don't die of pine-related poisoning, I will report back with the results.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Mmm, gimme some of that Pine-Sol! If I don't die of pine-related poisoning, I will report back with the results.

It's 6:30 AM and I'm too tired to figure out what the second letter is supposed to be, or even if that is the second letter, but I'm going to guess that it's called "Soluinun"?

It was pretty common in Korean stores, but I never saw anyone drinking it. It's not horrible, but it's not my favorite beverage.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It's 6:30 AM and I'm too tired to figure out what the second letter is supposed to be, or even if that is the second letter, but I'm going to guess that it's called "Soluinun"?

It was pretty common in Korean stores, but I never saw anyone drinking it. It's not horrible, but it's not my favorite beverage.

Huh! I wonder if I can find a place to order that online. For science.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Huh! I wonder if I can find a place to order that online. For science.

I haven't seen it at either of the Asian grocery stores I frequent, but I'm in Europe, so YMMV. I just checked Amazon and didn't see it. If you're near an H-Mart or another larger Asian grocery, they might have some. I don't see it on Koreadepart, either.

Probably a Koreagoon could send you some, though!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you want to drink a pine tree drink gin, what's this nonalcoholic pine tree poo poo

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
That's juniper :colbert:

Gilgamesh_Novem
Jun 12, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The feeling that clears inside of your head.
Pine's eye.

It isn't too bad tasting.
But then again I am a Korean, and finished a plate of fermented skate salad with 2 bottles of unfiltered makkoli, and a giant green onion pancake.

I also love the 3% alcoholic drink called 이슬톡톡( Dew Burst), but my father isn't a huge fan of it. My mom and I love it though.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Gilgamesh_Novem posted:

But then again I am a Korean, and finished a plate of fermented skate salad with 2 bottles of unfiltered makkoli, and a giant green onion pancake.

I'll eat all the things you've mentioned except for the hongeo (sp?). I looove makgeolli; need to start brewing my own.

I am disappointed in the pine soda; I like chewing pine needles and was hoping it would taste fresher. Pine has that sort of tangy flavour. The soda was far too sweet and there wasn't enough tang, so it just tasted like cleaning liquid to me.

Gilgamesh_Novem
Jun 12, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I'll eat all the things you've mentioned except for the hongeo (sp?). I looove makgeolli; need to start brewing my own.

I am disappointed in the pine soda; I like chewing pine needles and was hoping it would taste fresher. Pine has that sort of tangy flavour. The soda was far too sweet and there wasn't enough tang, so it just tasted like cleaning liquid to me.

The worse drink is the new experimental drink being sold at CU.
Makggolichino. It is a mix of makkoli and coffee....
I rather drink 솔의눈 우웩

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Aw, I want tangy pine-sol, not syrupy.

Gilgamesh_Novem posted:

The worse drink is the new experimental drink being sold at CU.
Makggolichino. It is a mix of makkoli and coffee....
I rather drink 솔의눈 우웩

That sounds awful. The makggolichino thing, that is.

Grand Fromage posted:

If you want to drink a pine tree drink gin, what's this nonalcoholic pine tree poo poo

There's always room for more evergreen in my life. I'm brewing some juniper drank that should be done later this coming week. It's just kind of fun to mess around with unfamiliar drinks.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Thanks for the Udon and Tofu tips. Scallions and ginger are totally my poo poo, I have to try that out.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

I recently went to Osaka and took a cooking class through Airbnb and it was awesome. I learned to make oshitaki, dashimaki, miso soup, and nikujaga. Everything was easy and delicious and I want to recreate this meal forever and ever. Are there any other stupid simple meals along these lines that anyone would like to recommend? Especially side dishes bc the oshitaki was fantastic

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Honestly most home cooking Japanese food is pretty simple. I always think of it in the same vein as Italian in that you get the best ingredients you can find and don't gently caress with them too much. Browse around justonecookbook.com until you find something that looks good.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

district 12 posted:

I recently went to Osaka and took a cooking class through Airbnb and it was awesome. I learned to make oshitaki, dashimaki, miso soup, and nikujaga. Everything was easy and delicious and I want to recreate this meal forever and ever. Are there any other stupid simple meals along these lines that anyone would like to recommend? Especially side dishes bc the oshitaki was fantastic

The easiest Japanese (mostly side) dishes off the top of my head:

Chirashizushi
Avocado salad (This is not a pan-Japanese thing, but my favorite izakaya used to sell out of this every night: avocado with a dressing of soy, wasabi, and mayonnaise. Absolutely incredible side dish.)
Ochazuke (ume ochazuke is my favorite, but not everyone likes umeboshi sooooo...)
mame gohan (rice and soybeans)
agedashi tofu
Yaki onigiri
horenso goma-ae
Quick pickles
nasu dengaku
Roasted sweet potatoes
Onsen tamago
hambaagu (especially good if you have a nice sauce)
Spaghetti tossed with butter, garlic, salt, and slivered nori (trust me)
Lazy loco moco with Bulldog sauce instead of the gravy

Don't forget how great a nabe party can be, too, even if it's a one-person nabe party. Also, basically anything can turn into a donburi.

e: That meal looks gorgeous, by the way.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

Honestly most home cooking Japanese food is pretty simple. I always think of it in the same vein as Italian in that you get the best ingredients you can find and don't gently caress with them too much. Browse around justonecookbook.com until you find something that looks good.

That's right. To that end it's sanma season~~~~~~~

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

e: That meal looks gorgeous, by the way.

Wow thank you so much! Both for the list and the compliment :) I love umeboshi for reals and I incorporate it into my rice as much as possible so that's a good idea. I'll look into making these things.

Grand Fromage, I love that site but there is so much information on there it gets difficult to sort through if I'm not planning way in advance. Now that I'm settled in my new place that seems more feasible though!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Does anyone have a primer on sake? I usually use Gekkeikan for my cooking and one of their gussied up labels for drinking. I considered sake as a decent replacement for session beer when I wanted to talk with friends into the night without getting super drunk or bloated, but as pretty lackluster in the flavor department. That is until I recently had a really expensive bottle with an omakase sushi course and loved it. Can someone recommend a happy medium for sake? I live in LA so I think I should have access to a wide selection, but stuff that's easier to find would probably be better.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There are so many sake makers I don't know which you'd have available, but what you should really be looking at is the style if you're going to really get into it. Most sake is futsu-shu, which means it's partly made from rice and partly from added ethanol. It's the generic stuff that doesn't have a ton of flavor and variety. There are a number of types of higher quality stuff. You should start with junmai-shu (純米酒), which is made just from rice and usually in smaller batches. There's a lot of variety within that. You can go up fancier to ginjo-shu (吟醸酒) or junmai ginjo-shu or the top quality is called junmai daiginjo-shu. I wouldn't bother with those just yet.

When you look at the label you'll also find a number that's either positive or negative. A higher positive number is drier, and a lower number/negative number is sweeter. I don't know what the full range is but it's like -20 to +20. There's also going to be a percentage number on the label, which is the rice polishing ratio. The lower that is, the more non-rice flavors you end up with. That's largely what the category names mean but it doesn't map precisely.

I would find a liquor store that has a wide selection of the small 300 ml bottles and get several with different types and ranging among sweet and dry to see what you like. Fukumitsuya is a sake brewery in Kanazawa that makes only the higher quality types from pure rice and I like everything I tasted there. They were also nice and taught me about sake and gave me lots of free alcohol so you should support them.

This is my favorite if you can find it. It's the highest grade so not cheap, but super worth it. You can see the numbers I'm talking about on the back label here.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
K&L is probably going to be a decent bet: http://www.klwines.com/Products/r?r=0+4294964547&d=1&t=&o=8&z=False

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Aaag I wanted to visit Fukumitsuya this spring but there wasn't enough time. I'm really envious. Kanazawa is so nice.

Try out some nigori sakes if you get the chance, GhostofJohnMuir. They're the unfiltered sakes.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Aaag I wanted to visit Fukumitsuya this spring but there wasn't enough time. I'm really envious. Kanazawa is so nice.

Try out some nigori sakes if you get the chance, GhostofJohnMuir. They're the unfiltered sakes.

Ohmigod, Kanazawa is SO NICE. I was only there once for a few days, but my friend and I drove around for a few days just taking in the scenery and it was amazing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

district 12 posted:

Oh holy gently caress, taking a cooking class in Japan would be incredibly baller. I totally need to make these dishes now.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

There are so many sake makers I don't know which you'd have available, but what you should really be looking at is the style if you're going to really get into it. Most sake is futsu-shu, which means it's partly made from rice and partly from added ethanol. It's the generic stuff that doesn't have a ton of flavor and variety. There are a number of types of higher quality stuff. You should start with junmai-shu (純米酒), which is made just from rice and usually in smaller batches. There's a lot of variety within that. You can go up fancier to ginjo-shu (吟醸酒) or junmai ginjo-shu or the top quality is called junmai daiginjo-shu. I wouldn't bother with those just yet.

When you look at the label you'll also find a number that's either positive or negative. A higher positive number is drier, and a lower number/negative number is sweeter. I don't know what the full range is but it's like -20 to +20. There's also going to be a percentage number on the label, which is the rice polishing ratio. The lower that is, the more non-rice flavors you end up with. That's largely what the category names mean but it doesn't map precisely.

I would find a liquor store that has a wide selection of the small 300 ml bottles and get several with different types and ranging among sweet and dry to see what you like. Fukumitsuya is a sake brewery in Kanazawa that makes only the higher quality types from pure rice and I like everything I tasted there. They were also nice and taught me about sake and gave me lots of free alcohol so you should support them.

This is my favorite if you can find it. It's the highest grade so not cheap, but super worth it. You can see the numbers I'm talking about on the back label here.

What's the name of this sake? Also which numbers indicates the brix level on the back?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I find sake pretty difficult to figure out. Even more so than wine. The wikipedia article is pretty good: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sake

So, the sugar value is 日本酒度 (nihonshu-do), additionally there's 酸度 (san-do) which is acidity and アミノ酸度 (aminosan-do) which is the amount of amino acids which add umami. Nihonshu-do is the most likely one of these to be on the label. Aminosan-do shows up periodically, but I don't recall ever seeing san-do on a label. A lot of labels don't have any of the three. Like the labels Grand Fromage posted don't have any of them.

So, without those on the label you're left with the grade, that one there is 純米大吟醸 (junmai daiginjo). So what that means is, 純米 (junmai) literally means pure rice which means no brewer's alcohol has been added to supplement the alcohol level from fermentation. The second bit, 大吟醸 (daiginjo) refers to the how polished the rice they used is. The wikipedia page has a good chart for it if you're interested, but I don't find the polishing ratio very useful for picking sake. As an experiment one night I bought three bottles of 八海山 (one of the most commonly available brands of sake) the 純米酒, 吟醸酒, and 大吟醸酒 and compared them all side by side. All three tasted like 八海山, and the differences between polishing grades were much, much more subtle. After half an hour or so I could pick between the three blindfolded, but I definitely couldn't now trying them cold.

So anyhow, the way I pick now is reading the blurbs the stores post and hoping. Probably the first and biggest thing you want to figure out is the differences between 甘口 (amakuchi - sweet), 旨口 (umakuchi - savory), 辛口 (karakuchi - spicy). Next when I know which of these I'm looking for I'll read the blurb and see what hints it gives me with regard to コク (koku) and キレイ (kirei). These two are a lot more abstract and I've only read about them in Japanese and I don't fully get either, but koku is essentially how dense or thick the flavor profile is. Kirei, as best I understand it, is how "refined" the flavor is, or maybe better to say an absence of any distinctive or unusual characteristics. Lack of hard edges maybe.

Well anyhow, this is kind of rambling and disorganized, which is to say it's a pretty accurate representation of my understanding of sake. And it's not even touching on all the specialized varieties, genshu (undiluted), nigori (unfiltered), usu-nigori (lightly filtered), sparkling, I mean there's a zillion of them. I'll try to remember to come back and post some examples and translations of what I mean from stuff I've drunk and did or didn't like.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Thanks for the info everyone. I guess this is going to take some time and effort to really learn.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Furious Lobster posted:

What's the name of this sake? Also which numbers indicates the brix level on the back?

I don't know the name, I can't read much Japanese. :v: I thought the 16 was the sweet/dry but I am wrong, this label doesn't have it.

This is the other side of the front label. I'm pretty sure the bottom left is Fukumitsuya brewery, the bottom right says Kanazawa junmai. The red might be the name but the only character there I know is yuan and I don't know what the Japanese reading of that is.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah 16 is the alcohol %.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Also 16 would be like super dry. Most karakuchi are around 9-10, with umaguchi around 3 and amakuchi negative.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I found a couple example labels.

That's what you're looking for.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know the name, I can't read much Japanese. :v: I thought the 16 was the sweet/dry but I am wrong, this label doesn't have it.

This is the other side of the front label. I'm pretty sure the bottom left is Fukumitsuya brewery, the bottom right says Kanazawa junmai. The red might be the name but the only character there I know is yuan and I don't know what the Japanese reading of that is.

The red is "kuramoto gentei", which is just brewery limited edition or some such

The name is probably 金澤, which is Kanazawa but in old fashioned characters

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

update on my home cooking desires: some kind of mustard greens side i bought at the grocery store was the perfect crisp bitterness to accompany baked miso salmon. i let the salmon sit in the marinade for a few hours and it seemed to have absorbed 90% of it, i didn't know salmon did that. but luckily it didn't turn out overly salty or anything. i roughly followed the miso salmon recipe on justonecookbook: https://www.justonecookbook.com/miso-salmon/

i'm so glad to be cooking again! :discourse:
it's a holiday week in korea so i plan on making nikujaga at some point too since i have loads of free time. maybe tomorrow.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
If you can get pork belly and daikon, pork kakuni is probably my favorite easy homecooked meal.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

district 12 posted:

update on my home cooking desires: some kind of mustard greens side i bought at the grocery store was the perfect crisp bitterness to accompany baked miso salmon. i let the salmon sit in the marinade for a few hours and it seemed to have absorbed 90% of it, i didn't know salmon did that. but luckily it didn't turn out overly salty or anything. i roughly followed the miso salmon recipe on justonecookbook: https://www.justonecookbook.com/miso-salmon/

i'm so glad to be cooking again! :discourse:
it's a holiday week in korea so i plan on making nikujaga at some point too since i have loads of free time. maybe tomorrow.

You mentioned going to a cooking class through Airbnb - how did you find this? My family might be doing a trip to Japan sometime next year, and I'd love to take a class like this. Do I need to be conversational in Japanese to attend?

Stringent posted:

If you can get pork belly and daikon, pork kakuni is probably my favorite easy homecooked meal.

Does that work with sliced pork belly, or does it need to be whole?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Should end up looking like this:

I'm kind of partial to sliced belly for shogayaki though, if that's all you can get.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

twoday posted:

So a while ago I bought "Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art" and over the past year or two I have been slowly absorbing its wisdom. This was probably the best Japanese meal I ever made (which I finished 20 minutes ago):

I had some leftover bean sprouts which I poured soy sauce and shichimi togarashi over.

I made some chilled silken tofu with scallion and bonito flakes.

I prepared a soup with broth from scratch from bonito, kombu, and dried shiitake. I strained it and added slices of the shiitake back in and added enoki.

I prepared some deep fried mackerel following this recipe and it didn't turn out like in the picture but was amazing. I live in Europe so it was plain mackerel and not horse mackerel (saba), but it still was amazing. I think mackerel is my favorite fish, and it's crazy cheap.

With the mackerel I served some shredded cabbage. I included a lemon, which I regret. I made a soy sauce/mirin/sake dipping sauce for it which was good.

I made furikake rice and totally forgot about it till the end of the meal, and didn't eat any.

~~~

I think there are two things that made this meal spectacular.

One was the soup. I always find it so hard to make a Japanese soup from scratch that tastes like it should. This one came out perfect.

The second and most important thing, I think, was the stuff I served it on. I have been gathering a variety of plates and dishes over the last few years, and I think that I deployed them in a way that made the meal much more aesthetically pleasing.

I have these nice little dishes that certain french cheeses are packaged in, and I saved them, and I also have these cool square sushi plates.

The tofu was served on 300 year old Chinese plates I bought at a second hand shop for a few euros and later had identified by a relevant ceramics historian as being 300 years old based on the signature underneath.

The soup bowls are more than a thousand years old, and were recovered from a shipwreck laden with ceramics off the coast of Indonesia. I bought them from a museum, and because there were hundreds of them and these were chipped by the archeologists they were quite cheap, around 50 bucks each or so. There is a seashell stuck to the bottom of one of them. The mushroom soup was really musty and earthy and the bowls really added to that sensory experience. It also just feels great to own a thing that is 1000 years old and use it for mundane purposes; I eat yoghurt out of them and stuff when I'm bored.

I was really impressed with the Japanese focus on ceramics and such when I lived in Japan, but now I think I'm finally starting to use that in my cooking. Feels good.

I feel like Japanese cooking (and every other element of Japanese culture) is based around practicing something over and over and not feeling satisfied until you are finally one day quite good at it. And today I reached the milestone where I finally feel like everything added up and I finally have a slight grip on Japanese cookery.

Also this meal was super cheap (though it took forever to prepare), and that makes me happy too.

Where can I buy those bowls?

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

Pollyanna posted:

You mentioned going to a cooking class through Airbnb - how did you find this? My family might be doing a trip to Japan sometime next year, and I'd love to take a class like this. Do I need to be conversational in Japanese to attend?

they have an experiences section on airbnb now and you can filter down by like food or cooking or something like that, there are actually a significant amount of cooking classes to be found in various cities. my class was entirely in english!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Kyoto Women's Association also does in home cooking demos. It's fun!

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

hakimashou posted:

Where can I buy those bowls?

Not sure, I bought them at a temporary exhibition. They come from the Belitung shipwreck (great name that makes me think of food).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So exactly how thin is Japanese curry supposed to be? I made some for dinner and uh, I think it's not quite right:

I'm reducing the unused portion right now and it's closer to the consistency I like, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing the point. It's S&B Golden Curry, if that helps.