Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

*It's not mentioned in the movie, but an interesting detail Scott mentions on the commentaries is that the "tattoos" on Roy's chest are the interface points into which powered armor for combat in space would be plugged into his organs.

FWIH, it was a battle plan, star map, or something so Roy could have a reference point by looking down.

He also has this "penguin sparrow" tat on his shoulder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Young Freud posted:

FWIH, it was a battle plan, star map, or something so Roy could have a reference point by looking down.

He also has this "penguin sparrow" tat on his shoulder.

Oh man now I wish we could have seen the battle of Tannhauser Gate.

ROY!!! WE'RE OFF COURSE, OOHHH SHIII-

i got u fam *rips off shirt, spends several minutes contorting to stare at own chest and the nearest star simultaneously to get bearing*

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

i got u fam *rips off shirt, spends several minutes contorting to stare at own chest and the nearest star simultaneously to get bearing*

It turns out that "C-beams" is the nickname he gave to his pecks.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Neo Rasa posted:

This Soldier trailer is supposed to depict the battle of Tannhauser Gate.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

david_a posted:

I was so hyped for that movie. :(

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I've read enough reviews of 2049 to know that the next one or two things I read will be spoilers. I mean, they have to be. I'm playing with fire here. I have tickets to see it on Thursday night, though!

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
My cinema replayed the original blade runner to hype up 2049. Was great to see it on the big screen one more time before watching 2049.

probably going to watch it on friday

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Syllables posted:

My cinema replayed the original blade runner to hype up 2049. Was great to see it on the big screen one more time before watching 2049.

probably going to watch it on friday

Last year, me and a group of friends saw The Final Cut in theaters. I had heard that Warner Bros. pulled the title from repertory circulation until after 2049 comes out.

It's sad, because I'm pretty sure a 6 hour double feature of Blade Runner and BR2049 would do wonders.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

david_a posted:

Haha sticking More Human Than Human in at the end is a bit on the nose. (I really like Soldier, as cheesy as it is)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Young Freud posted:

Last year, me and a group of friends saw The Final Cut in theaters. I had heard that Warner Bros. pulled the title from repertory circulation until after 2049 comes out.

It's sad, because I'm pretty sure a 6 hour double feature of Blade Runner and BR2049 would do wonders.

The regal near me is doing blade runner og and 2049 as a back to back double feature thursday

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 1, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Young Freud posted:

Regal is doing a double feature

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Jerkface posted:

The regal near me is doing blade runner og and 2049 as a back to back double feature thursday

One near me is doing the double feature in an AVX theatre. Shame, because I chose to see 2049 in IMAX instead. I got to see the Final Cut earlier in the year in cinemas and got a little stoned beforehand, and it was wonderful.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Has anyone else pointed out how disgustingly awful the posters for this are? It looks like a straight to DVD cover.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Shoehead posted:

Haha sticking More Human Than Human in at the end is a bit on the nose. (I really like Soldier, as cheesy as it is)

I just realized Soldier is the movie version of those "Lord forgive me, I'm back on my bullshit" pictures.

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax

quote:

His (Villeneuve) intentions with the film are often quite evident: he’s interested in agency, and the way free will can define our humanity, whether we were born or built. But his ideas never completely take hold. His movie, despite its beauty, often makes the audience all too aware that it’s two hours and 44 minutes long.

I'm still looking forward to it but yikes.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

murex posted:

Reads like someone just really wanted to go to the bathroom and couldn’t reconcile free will and the biological imperative.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Steve2911 posted:

Has anyone else pointed out how disgustingly awful the posters for this are? It looks like a straight to DVD cover.

Discussed in detail, someone will be along shortly to tell you how wrong you are.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

murex posted:

96% on RT yikes sounds like a disaster

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Reads like someone just really wanted to go to the bathroom and couldn’t reconcile free will and the biological imperative.

Are you referring to my post or THE VERGE review?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

murex posted:

Are you referring to my post or THE VERGE review?

Yes.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have the option of paying to watch the IMAX version which supposedly has an expanded aspect ratio of 1.9:1. Any idea if it's worth it?

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:

Young Freud posted:

I was really happy that my cinema played the Final Cut. My friend who watched it with me had never watched Blade Runner before, he was going on and on about the ending.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I did some research about what's the best way to watch this film.

There's a 2D and 3D version, but Deakins has said they shot the film in 2D and the 3D was added only in post. There's also an IMAX cut in 1.9:1 while the "regular" cut is 2.39:1. The IMAX cut is advertised as having more image, meaning you'll literally see stuff that gets cut off in the regular version.

In the above link, he said that regular 2D would be his preference (as opposed to 3D or IMAX).

I'm gonna try to seek out a Dolby Atmos screening, too. My sense is sound's gonna be real important here. (Auro 11.1 sound may also be available, though I have no clue how that matches up to IMAX or Dolby Atmos.)

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 2, 2017

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

FYI the best part about Roger Deakins being active on an online forum is that you get to see random internet person call him an idiot and know that he read it

https://www.rogerdeakins.com/film-talk/blade-runner-2049-trailers-on-70mmimax-70mm-film/

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Vegetable posted:

FYI the best part about Roger Deakins being active on an online forum is that you get to see random internet person call him an idiot and know that he read it

https://www.rogerdeakins.com/film-talk/blade-runner-2049-trailers-on-70mmimax-70mm-film/

Haha, "you're an idiot roger."

He, and a lot of other big DPs, also used to post on cinematography.com's forums as well. As the forums got more popular, there were increased instances of dumb film students arguing with him about technical details that they clearly had only the faintest comprehension of. It was amusing, but also pushed a lot of the more experienced filmmakers off the site.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy
I for one am ready... ready for the disappointment :smith:

Given his other recent films, I at least feel like they had someone who could take the ball and really try to run with it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Is this going to be like Prometheus or Force Awakens where people are so naive they think this film is actually going to be as good and inspirational as the original Alien or A New Hope and think it's the worst film ever when it's inevitably not? Like I'm super excited about this movie but even if it were directed by a peak 100% A game Ridley Scott with all the same creative folks involved from Blade Runner it would be a very different and not as good movie as lightning in a bottle flicks like those. Fury Road was an exception to this and not the norm.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Prometheus rules. Force Awakens isn't the worst film ever, just incredibly bland. I think Villeneuve being at the helm of this has people more hopeful.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

Is this going to be like Prometheus or Force Awakens where people are so naive they think this film is actually going to be as good and inspirational as the original Alien or A New Hope and think it's the worst film ever when it's inevitably not? Like I'm super excited about this movie but even if it were directed by a peak 100% A game Ridley Scott with all the same creative folks involved from Blade Runner it would be a very different and not as good movie as lightning in a bottle flicks like those. Fury Road was an exception to this and not the norm.

I believe the movie will be very good but it would've had a better shot of meeting the original had they the courage to just drop Ford and do something entirely new in the same universe.

Fury Road switched up the formula, plucked what worked from all the previous films, and added enough new stuff so that it could become a streamlined perfect encapsulation of what made all the previous Mad Max films good.

Also, Fury Road does not depend on any previous film existing in order to work. Not so with this new Bladerunner, which robs it of any possibility of it having a complete identity of its own.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Numerous reviews are stating that, as hard as it is to believe, that Ford's performance is one of the best of the film and best of his career. Also, at least one interview I saw, he seemed to genuinely give a gently caress about the movie.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ironic since Deckard would have been the role most apropos of Ford not giving a gently caress.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Danger posted:

Numerous reviews are stating that, as hard as it is to believe, that Ford's performance is one of the best of the film and best of his career.

On the other hand, multiple reviews have also said that Deckard doesn't even show up until the last quarter of the movie and he's only got a few scenes.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Timby posted:

On the other hand, multiple reviews have also said that Deckard doesn't even show up until the last quarter of the movie and he's only got a few scenes.

Why is that on the other hand? Anyhow, I'd typically agree that just having heard the idea of a Harrison Ford cameo is nothing to get excited about, but it seems hopefully he's actually decided to not sleepwalk through a script here. But who knows, I'm hyped about the new Villeneuve regardless whether its a new IP or not.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Danger posted:

Numerous reviews are stating that, as hard as it is to believe, that Ford's performance is one of the best of the film and best of his career. Also, at least one interview I saw, he seemed to genuinely give a gently caress about the movie.
Ford has created some iconic and beloved characters over the course of his career with hammy and fun performances (Han Solo, Indiana Jones), but it might be the case that he recognizes Deckard in the original Blade Runner as his best/most serious acting. Assuming that's the case, he might have been giving it his all in this film, to preserve that part of his legacy.

I'm stoked.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

If I remember correctly, it was stated in Future Noir that Ford didn't really have a great time on the set of Blade Runner in between ego disputes with Ridley Scott and all the production delays. He downplayed talking about Blade Runner for many years and it wasn't until the Final Cut rerelease that he started to come back around on it.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

If I remember correctly, it was stated in Future Noir that Ford didn't really have a great time on the set of Blade Runner in between ego disputes with Ridley Scott and all the production delays. He downplayed talking about Blade Runner for many years and it wasn't until the Final Cut rerelease that he started to come back around on it.

Yea, he and Scott were on the outs for quite a while but reconciled back in like the 2000's whenever they were doing the anniversary stuff. Ford's biggest resentment is the doing the voiceovers.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Ersatz posted:

Ford has created some iconic and beloved characters over the course of his career with hammy and fun performances (Han Solo, Indiana Jones), but it might be the case that he recognizes Deckard in the original Blade Runner as his best/most serious acting. Assuming that's the case, he might have been giving it his all in this film, to preserve that part of his legacy.

I'm stoked.

Honestly his acting in BladeRunner isn't stellar either. The movie isn't remembered because of Harrison Ford. Call me crazy but my favorite Harrison Ford is from Apocalypse Now. It's the only scene I've watched him in that at all feels genuine because he's nervous as hell.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I thought Ford in Blade Runner delivered a genuinely good performance playing against type as a coward and a creep. Deckard being such a lovely human being was an important contrast to Roy Batty's anti-hero, whether it was intentional or not.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I always felt the same way, it helps the movie that the replicants are all passionate and desperate in some way while all of the humans are terse assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

exquisite tea posted:

Deckard being such a lovely human being

Maybe he was just programmed as such in order to be effective at his job? If you fall on the whole "he's a replicant" side of the debate, of course.

• Locked thread