Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Definitely do any sidequests you find, and head to all the cauldrons. In particular, stuff like the hunting grounds gives a really good reward for doing everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

yeah probably one of the few games like that where I'd say just do everything and everything. Wait until you get fast travel of course, but yeah, unlike most games the quests are kinda fun and not just pointless scavenger hunts that...aren't fun

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The least interesting things are the metal flowers and coffee cups which have no story content or interesting challenges. Corrupted zones and bandit camps are also not super exciting (though the bandits do have one character's storyline tied into them).

But really I just did everything because it's a fun game just to run around and fight robots in. It's a very easy game to get all the trophies in.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'll be the voice of dissent and say that the HZD sidequests are middling at best, especially compared to the baller main quest. Aloy's VA is consistently great and all, but a lot of the sidequest characters/situations were pretty forgettable (especially in comparison to Witcher 3, the other beautiful open world game where your magic powers mostly involve you following glowing footsteps to help random peasants).

The rewards are also pretty crap, since 98% of them end in you getting a lootbox which contains a tiny amount of money, machine parts and low-tier runes. The only sidequests that reward anything else are the hunting lodge quests which randomly give you one unique weapon at the middle and then a bunch of slight variations on your existing weapons when you 100% the trials. This means you'll more than likely buy your preferred set of purple weapons and purple armor about 1/3rd into the game and end up using that same set until the last two hours or so.

Not that this makes the actual robot hunting and sneaking about and looking out over beautiful vistas any less amazing, mind you, just consider that if a sidequest sounds kinda boring you can blow it off and not miss much. That one time I accidentally stumbled onto a bunch of invisible stalkers guarding a thunderjaw when i was way too low level and under-equipped and had to set a complicated series of traps and used up most of my ammo just surviving it was a thousand times more memorable than any sidequest I can remember.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think you are wrong, but the side quests bring you to a lot of great places on the map that you'd miss otherwise. I loved the world map in HZD and doing the side stuff is the best way to catch the majority of it. From a narrative standpoint I thought of a lot of them were pretty fun too even if the real meat of the story is in the main quest. Don't do anything in HZD in the hopes of getting loot because it's totally unnecessary and I honestly wish the game didn't have loot.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The loot and itemization system of HZD kinda falls apart midway through the game, where further resources feel pointless to accumulate, and the only thing of value are purple mods. Haven't played UH yet, which may curve out the progression better.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

The only sidequest I really enjoyed was helping Nil. The actual human combat is pretty weak, but the guy just has such an enthusiasm for murder it made me laugh.

I also liked the golden-eyepatch guy who sends you to gently caress around with some Banuk tribe, the quest itself is short but he's so well-designed and the voice-actor just nails it, it made me wish he played a larger role.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I didn't care for Horizon at all. I regret getting Ruiner. Thankfully Nex Machina owned. Now I am playing Sword Coast Legends and actually liking it. I did check reviews first and adjusted my expectations. It runs poorly which is...odd. I am shocked by how many people joined my game through the night. Figured it would be totally dead.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Montalvo posted:

Horizon: Zero Dawn is pretty fun, and very gorgeous. I'm a little overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff there is to do though. If I mostly blow through the main quest am I going to miss anything good?

There's nothing permanently missable, although I would say you should at least do all the cauldrons because they let you override every kind of machine and the environments are cool. Completing the hunter's lodge challenges also gives you access to the best weapons tier but it's not like the game is especially difficult without them. The sidequests themselves range from simple fetch and deliver stuff to extended miniplots that span half the map, but if you're just going through the game for the first time it's hard to tell which is which. The only tangible impact is that more of your allies show up for the final mission and you get a special achievement for gathering all of them. I normally get super bored of open world games but I found just about everything in Horizon to be enjoyable, so I managed to 100% everything. That being said, if you only want to select the most fun questlines, my own recommendations would be An Acquired Taste, Heap of Trouble, A Moment's Peace, A Daughter's Vengeance, Sun and Shadow, Traitor's Bounty, Queen's Gambit, Nil (bandit camps), Talanah (hunter's lodge), and Death from the Skies.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 1, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I got 100% on Horizon and I don't normally go that far with most open world games. I just wandered around, did what I thought was cool, and by the time I was almost done with the story I was also almost to the platinum so I thought "Sure, might as well"

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I got 100% on Horizon and I don't normally go that far with most open world games. I just wandered around, did what I thought was cool, and by the time I was almost done with the story I was also almost to the platinum so I thought "Sure, might as well"

It's great that the vast majority of Horizons trophies were picked up "naturally", saying that I'm left with 3 to go, "Recovered an ancient technology and put it to use" which has like 28% so its hardly an obscure trophy but it skipped past me, the all allies joined trophy which I think I just need to finish the game for a 2nd time now I've done all the sub-quests and that loving training dummy one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also beating the game dumps you back to your last save point, so if you really care about trophies you can just go back and get all the collectibles after you're done.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Also it's visually breathtaking

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's pretty magical how good Horizon manages to look on PS4 hardware, minus a couple things like draw distance and some texture pop-in it can hang with current gen PC visuals. With Guerrilla licensing out the Decima engine to in-house productions the next couple years should be pretty great for the PS4.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's pretty insane how good the game looks technically. It's also really optimized for its target frame rate, I've only seen one place where the frame rate ever dropped and I hardly ever see any pop-in running on my PSpoor. Just wish I was also enjoying basically anything else about it.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

The free Fortnite Battle Royale is surprisingly decent. Sure, it's a complete rip off of PUBG and it is a bit barebones but it's fun and the devs say they are going to add more features over the next while.

A pleasant surprise at a price you can't really argue with.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Wolfsheim posted:

I'll be the voice of dissent and say that the HZD sidequests are middling at best, especially compared to the baller main quest. Aloy's VA is consistently great and all, but a lot of the sidequest characters/situations were pretty forgettable (especially in comparison to Witcher 3, the other beautiful open world game where your magic powers mostly involve you following glowing footsteps to help random peasants).

The rewards are also pretty crap, since 98% of them end in you getting a lootbox which contains a tiny amount of money, machine parts and low-tier runes. The only sidequests that reward anything else are the hunting lodge quests which randomly give you one unique weapon at the middle and then a bunch of slight variations on your existing weapons when you 100% the trials. This means you'll more than likely buy your preferred set of purple weapons and purple armor about 1/3rd into the game and end up using that same set until the last two hours or so.
Nah I don't think that's dissent. Sidequests were generally not great and the rewards were pointless (the whole loot box thing was terrible in general). Definitely do Cauldrons and Hunting Lodge, and then just others as you wish to do so. I thought bandit camps were pretty repetitive and generally not fun since human combat was kind of easy and weak.

I'll also add that you should make a beeline straight for Meridian to get purple weapons ASAP. I was sort of ho-hum on the combat initially, and probably spent way too much time dicking around on the east side of the map and should have just went straight to the west to get those sweet purps. Makes a world of difference once you get the elemental options.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I am looking forward to Dragon’s Dogma in a few days.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wendell posted:

I am looking forward to Dragon’s Dogma in a few days.
If only another action rpg could be half as mobile and kinetic as that one is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

If only another action rpg could be half as mobile and kinetic as that one is.

I played as a sorcerer, which is pretty much the exact opposite of that, but being a walking artillery platform was still a whole lot of fun.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Any build that doesn’t encourage you to climb all over giant beasts feels like a wasted opportunity to me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was mostly a magic knight playing croquet with giant magic deathballs and sending the frame rate to zero...but maybe that's fixed in the PS4 version?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Speaking of Witcher 3, his VA does one random peasant at a hunting camp before the desert. Sounds just like Geralt.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Anyone had the issue where once in a while your controllers just lose connection to the PS4 and hitting the PS button doesn't get them to reconnect (even if you wire them)?

I've got an OG PS4 so I'm wondering if it's an issue with its age.

This has happened to me a couple times on my PS4 Pro. Unplugging/replugging the machine did the trick.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Wolfsheim posted:

Not that this makes the actual robot hunting and sneaking about and looking out over beautiful vistas any less amazing, mind you, just consider that if a sidequest sounds kinda boring you can blow it off and not miss much. That one time I accidentally stumbled onto a bunch of invisible stalkers guarding a thunderjaw when i was way too low level and under-equipped and had to set a complicated series of traps and used up most of my ammo just surviving it was a thousand times more memorable than any sidequest I can remember.

I agree. There were some parts where you could tell they were going the The Witcher 3 style sidequests. But it just came off as a multileg fetch quest instead.

I'm also on record hating the open world in HZ in general. The most fun I had was in the story, cauldrons, and hunts.

The open world was just annoying busywork travel time.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I had a lot of fun with Horizon but the story just washed right past me, there was one particular point close to the end where you get to a room with several audio-logs and hologram messages and so on and I found it amusing that the expectation was I'd sit and listen to 15-20 minutes of story exposition when I could just go and shoot up more cool robot dinosaurs.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I played Dragon's Dogma when it came out on PS+ on PS3 and was, uh, mystified by the helper system and also like the above poster I always play wizards so I made it like 5 hours in and felt like my dude sucked and I had no idea how to make him better.

So if anyone can help me play like a ninja wizard where I do the climber poo poo but also zap things then this could be my game of the year

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I played Dragon's Dogma when it came out on PS+ on PS3 and was, uh, mystified by the helper system and also like the above poster I always play wizards so I made it like 5 hours in and felt like my dude sucked and I had no idea how to make him better.

So if anyone can help me play like a ninja wizard where I do the climber poo poo but also zap things then this could be my game of the year

Change classes often to get better abilities.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the HZD input! I'll just do what sounds fun and maybe skip the cups and flower collectibles. I'll see if I can focus on the hunter lodge quests for now because my gear feels weak (but I've not made it to Meridian yet).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Montalvo posted:

Thanks for the HZD input! I'll just do what sounds fun and maybe skip the cups and flower collectibles. I'll see if I can focus on the hunter lodge quests for now because my gear feels weak (but I've not made it to Meridian yet).

Completing all the Hunter's Lodge challenges takes time and many of them require weapons you'll have to end up getting anyway, so I would recommend visiting Meridian soon simply to unlock the highest weapons tier and buy the stuff you need first (purple sharpshot/hunter bows and the shadow sling are good for starters).

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Pawns are the asynchronous multiplayer. When you make your pawn and play it and work on the AI and level it up, it develops and such. This is both in terms of abilities and also some hidden AI script choices that affect behaviour. Like, some pawns can end up being super aggressive about looting and rush off to look at chests in the middle of battle.

You can then hire your pawn out to other players and you can hire other players' pawns. The pawns you hire don't level, so the expectation is you'll travel with the ones you like for awhile, and then trade them in for higher level pawns as you level up. You can also send them back with gifts if they did a really good job, which is kind of fun. All in all it[s a pretty optional part of the game, but it's kind of fun to play pokeman key party with cool semi sentient adventurers.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Does anyone know how to check my various PS+ signup dates? I was just charged for the auto-renewal today but I'm pretty sure I should have more time left, when they announced the price increase to $60, I bought an additional year while it was still at $50 to add to the time I already had left. It doesn't feel like it's been a year+ yet.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Ometeotl posted:

Does anyone know how to check my various PS+ signup dates? I was just charged for the auto-renewal today but I'm pretty sure I should have more time left, when they announced the price increase to $60, I bought an additional year while it was still at $50 to add to the time I already had left. It doesn't feel like it's been a year+ yet.

They announced it August 2016 and started last September.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

doingitwrong posted:

Any build that doesn’t encourage you to climb all over giant beasts feels like a wasted opportunity to me.

That's because you've never used High Bolide to flatten the countryside with an orbital bombardment, or High Gicel to impale the enemy (and his friends, and their friends...) with a spear of ice the size of a transmission tower. Sorcerers offer severely delayed gratification, but dear god, it sure is gratification.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You can experience that with pawns though, without having to personally stand still doing nothing but holding a button for 30 seconds

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

mage is support, sorcerer is damage. you swap to sorcerer as soon as possible so you can cast meteor, summon tornadoes, and create giant ice spears that can kill a drake in 1 cast. sorcerer also has the higher magic growth and that helps

generally one cast will wipe out any encounter for a sorcerer and it's really fun to summon meteors from space to kill a pack of sunbathing lizards or w/e

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Getting maximum charge on the two-handed giant hammer and smashing a foe down, never gets old.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Didn't someone here say that they were running the 5.0 beta firmware and that it finally allows you to turn your ps4 on via a non official paired Bluetooth remote (like a harmony)? Can anyone else confirm this? Because this would be loving great.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

When I first played Dragon's Dogma on the ps3, my pawn became fixated on looting inconsequential crap. Every time we visited Gran Soren, he would jump into the fountain to fish out the coins and eventually associated arriving in Gran Soren with becoming drenched. So whenever we went there he would always dutifully remind me to be careful I don't get soaked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Kobogartimer posted:

When I first played Dragon's Dogma on the ps3, my pawn became fixated on looting inconsequential crap. Every time we visited Gran Soren, he would jump into the fountain to fish out the coins and eventually associated arriving in Gran Soren with becoming drenched. So whenever we went there he would always dutifully remind me to be careful I don't get soaked.

I've never played Dragon's Dogma but this kind of AI retardation makes it sound kind of amazing