Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this october i will actually finish a playthrough of silent hill

maybe even a castlevania or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Is that by Actual Standards or Homestuck Fandom Standards?

I mean, as an adventure game it's apparently perfectly competent, but man Homestuck Fandom Standards were loving sky high for this thing considering how much it cost to make and the timeframe it took to make one single part of it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

no one would blame you, for just playing silent hill 2 or 3, or heck, even Silent Hill 4: The Room

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

*playing silent hill 2 pc* boy sure is nice of them to keep the town so well lit :)

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Fair enough if you're applying it to a specific series you know well. As general advice I will always disagree with it though.

It’s one of the interesting problems of game series with strong stories. Generally, stories are best experienced in order. Like, with most books and movies you generally want to start with the first one. But games are also software. And software tends to get better over time. Most games are standalone enough and the references or emotional strength of moment you might miss by jumping into the middle are probably out weighed by better combat/QoL etc. but it is definitely a trade off.

For me, your advice is probably the right advice 100% of the time, I just don’t want to spend 300 hours on older games to fully experience the latest in a series. So I’ll spoil the older games and jump in to the new one. And then probably not play it to the ending anyway.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
understood, i'll buy silent hill: homecoming

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doingitwrong posted:

It’s one of the interesting problems of game series with strong stories. Generally, stories are best experienced in order. Like, with most books and movies you generally want to start with the first one. But games are also software. And software tends to get better over time. Most games are standalone enough and the references or emotional strength of moment you might miss by jumping into the middle are probably out weighed by better combat/QoL etc. but it is definitely a trade off.

For me, your advice is probably the right advice 100% of the time, I just don’t want to spend 300 hours on older games to fully experience the latest in a series. So I’ll spoil the older games and jump in to the new one. And then probably not play it to the ending anyway.
I mean, the persona games have basically no story relation to each other

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the only time you should play multiple 70 hour long jrpgs before the newest one is if you're jumping into the newest arc of the trails series

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

The Colonel posted:

understood, i'll buy silent hill: homecoming

homecoming is what came out when the janitor reached into the toilet to unclog it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

I mean, the persona games have basically no story relation to each other

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If anything Berseria feels very traditionally Tales to me. Taken loosely, it doesn't even have a plot that different than Phantasia's.

Berseria just does what it sets out to do really quite well, particularly with its cast.

The Colonel posted:

Silent Hill 1 is cool and good and I love how it contrasts with Silent Hill 2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wow that sure was a very story relevant scene

Raxivace posted:

If anything Berseria feels very traditionally Tales to me. Taken loosely, it doesn't even have a plot that different than Phantasia's.
like i said the director's a longtime fan with actual opinions on the tales games relative to each other, and the game was meant as kind of a salve to the fandom after zestiria was, uh, the video game tales of zestiria for the ps3 so yeah

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

doingitwrong posted:

Persona 3/4/5 only make payment references to each other at most, so that's not even the reason and really while I have been advocating playing them order, it's still fine. On the other hand reading a synopsis of 3/4 in preparation for 5 would be a really dumb idea because there no reason to do that and if you do find you want to try going back, you've now just spoiled the plot for no good reason.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway there are lots of badass tales of games and i recommend diving into them because even most of the weaker ones have some really fun aspects tying them together, there are like two tales games that i can think of that are not really worth playing in any form

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
https://twitter.com/Crackfiend/status/913871813645557762

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

wow that sure was a very story relevant scene
yeah, theres also the part in p3p where you meet vincent from catherine, so the preferred persona play order is actually catherine -> persona 3 fes -> persona 3 portable -> persona 4 -> persona 4 arena -> persona 4 dancing all night -> persona 4 arena ultimax -> persona 5

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

yeah, theres also the part in p3p where you meet vincent from catherine, so the preferred persona play order is actually catherine -> persona 3 fes -> persona 3 portable -> persona 4 -> persona 4 arena -> persona 4 dancing all night -> persona 4 arena ultimax -> persona 5

Don't you meet Yukiko in P3P?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
motherfucker there is a persona 2 reference in persona 3, and also a persona 1 reference in persona 2, you can't forget the most important parts of the play order

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

When that BlazBlue crossover game comes out and merges four different timelines including that lovely Rooster Teeth project it will be amazing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

Don't you meet Yukiko in P3P?
oh no... I'm gonna need more red yarn

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

this reminded me that last month someone called masked rider gamer doctor an sao clone and lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

Silent Hill 1 is so loving sick.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

All that being said, my next game will probably be Tales of Berseria despite never having played a Tales game before so maybe I'm just a huge hypocrite

hello it's me your friend and let me tell you tales of berseria is GOOD

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Now that Elly is unstoppable in her gear when the Aerods are not healing them, the other characters are finally learning the rest of their abilities to break the game. Against elemental bosses, Bart can now let any gear hit the damage cap with a Deathblower 1, and probably not need it after the next upgrade cycle. The Elly and Bart weapons seem broken by mid-game. I used to poison or put enemies to sleep and it doesn't seem to be working that well now, except for the ether damage whip. Some of the gear weapons don't work as advertised and heal the bosses when it shouldn't. You shouldn't be using Vierge that way.
Aside from around three places where Fei uses the Kamehameha, you can't make them useful because many enemies no-sell it. Bart's bombardment option also suffers from no-sells as well, but it can do a good bit of damage when it works. It should hit everything considering how its lousy AoE only hits one enemy.

I am impressed with how Solaris mimics the society of today. Almost feels like Deus Ex set in the 2020s. Just no flying cars. You do get to dress up like a modern day Red Mage.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 1, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I like anime, I like anime games, and I want more Neptunia in my life because you're just not living if you don't rep the Nep.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
After work I went back and did the Candy Princess boss in Cuphead after beating my head against a wall with the clown boss.

MAN is that fight awesome. It has RNG in that there are like 5 or 6 candy minibosses you can fight, but their moves are all the same and the little jellybeans are pretty consistent. The difficulty ramps up super hard in the final phase but in a way that feels awesome and intense. Dodging the princess' head is super tense!

Also tried out the bird and the genie. The genie is loving hard as hell, but I feel like I'm pretty close with him. The bird I only tried once just to see him and his fight is super fun (I love dodging the feathers). I love how goofy all of his phases are, especially the last one.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 1, 2017

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

I like anime, I like anime games, and I want more Neptunia in my life because you're just not living if you don't rep the Nep.

I think a new Neptunia is coming out this month

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

this VR game that's in open beta this weekend, from other suns, is very sick. its a completely unapologetic FTL ripoff, the structure is identical, combat and crew stuff works the same way, even all the UI is pretty much identical, everything's the same except also its presented from the first person and the crew can be played by other players. and like how in FTL some random events involve sending crew members on away missions, in this game events frequently have you transport over and do some stuff yourself. its very cool but also lmao at how insanely blatantly they are ripping off FTL

I'm always glad to play any VR game that isn't viewed primarily down the barrel of a gun though. I don't much like shooting people in VR

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/NintendoFilms/status/914140996279050241

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I guess I would have enjoyed Zelda more on the Wii U?

Just unlocked the last tower today actually and just one more beast left. It's almost over

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess I would have enjoyed Zelda more on the Wii U?

Just unlocked the last tower today actually and just one more beast left. It's almost over

Why do you even keep playing it? Every post I've seen you make about it is just complaining how you don't like it.

I'm not even trying to insult you, I'm actually curious. There are so many games, why keep playing one you don't even like.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gundam Versus is really fun, guys

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Playing games you hate so you can complain about them is a proud internet tradition.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i play games i like

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

finally

my avatar is relevant again

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

Playing games you hate so you can complain about them is a proud internet tradition.

You can save more time and money by just not playing the game and making fun of it anyway!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cuphead looks really cool in-person and if I wasn’t playing Snes games I’d give it a go.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I think a new Neptunia is coming out this month

YESSS

Will it be in English? Or at least have English subs?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I finally got around to beating Kirby Triple Deluxe despite owning it since shortly after it came out

Not much to say, Kirby games still own, and so do their finales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I was thinking of replaying the game for spooky month and the more I think about Bloodborne the more I feel like you could just remove leveling from it altogether.

• Locked thread