Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Chris Evans is kind of inevitable given his superpower or more or less literally 'steroids, but permanent'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

cvnvcnv posted:

Nice double-dip lmao which ignores completely your allegation that alcoholism will blow out your knees and break your back,

Didn't say or imply that. Alcoholism does have massive debilitating effects on your physical recovery, though. And RDJ was a serious drinker at the age when his body was best able to produce muscle.

cvnvcnv posted:

Also cool anecdote about your recovery time kicking your rear end as though that proves something. A man in his 50s on testosterone replacement taking him to normal levels who also adheres to x y and z can get RDJ's bod, forget steroids.

Testosterone Replacement Therapy is steroids you dumb poo poo. It's literally chemical assistance that aids massively in muscle growth and recovery.

I hate to be unpleasant, but you did start it. And 'he's not on steroids, he's just on TRT' is a spectacularly stupid position to take while being unpleasant

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 1, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You know, in retrospect, George Clooney was an inspired casting choice for an Adam West-style Batman. His turns in O Brother Where Art Though, Burn After Reading, and Hail, Caesar! show how well he can do camp.

Oof. Now I just want a Coen Brothers reimagining of Batman 66.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Steve Buscemi for scarecrow, john turturro for joker...

Who's eggman? Can anyone fill vincent price's shoes?

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 1, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Frances McDormand as Ma Parker.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Fred Melamed as Robin

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

got any sevens posted:

Steve Buscemi for scarecrow, john turturro for joker...

Who's eggman? Can anyone fill vincent price's shoes?

Doug Jones, but with the voice of Maurice LaMarche

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I assume you mean Egghead, it's too easy to picture Batman fighting Eggman.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It's a shame Jon Polito passed away, because he could've been the Penguin.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Triple H for Robin.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Triple H for Robin.

Young Triple H could've made a good Tim Drake, I think.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Is there a joke here that I'm missing

The only joke is my bad science.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Is there a joke here that I'm missing

He was probably getting at how steroids aren't actually synonymous with PEDs, but testosterone is literally a steroid so

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Davros1 posted:

It's a shame Jon Polito passed away, because he could've been the Penguin.

Ah poo poo.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

DeimosRising posted:

He was probably getting at how steroids aren't actually synonymous with PEDs, but testosterone is literally a steroid so

I had it in my head that testosterone was a hormone not a steroid in the technical scientific sense which is obviously not true if you take half a second to google it.

In fairness my knowledge of this stuff is almost entirely practical.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

take it from me (someone who is very jacked and handsome and cool) that everyone who is more jacked is on steroids, more handsome is an idiot and cool is actually a jerk.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

sassassin posted:

I had it in my head that testosterone was a hormone not a steroid in the technical scientific sense which is obviously not true if you take half a second to google it.

In fairness my knowledge of this stuff is almost entirely practical.

It's very 'all squares are rectangles.'

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

well why not posted:

take it from me (someone who is very jacked and handsome and cool) that everyone who is more jacked is on steroids, more handsome is an idiot and cool is actually a jerk.

Well then I guess I'm an idiotic jerk on steroids. :smuggo:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've just about had it with these unrealistic male body standards Hollywood keeps inflicting on us.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

You know, in retrospect, George Clooney was an inspired casting choice for an Adam West-style Batman. His turns in O Brother Where Art Though, Burn After Reading, and Hail, Caesar! show how well he can do camp.

Oof. Now I just want a Coen Brothers reimagining of Batman 66.
Cohen Brothers' New Frontier.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

sassassin posted:

I've just about had it with these unrealistic male body standards Hollywood keeps inflicting on us.

Marlon Brando fought the good fight.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Brad Pitt and Edward Norton gaze at a buff male model advertising underwear.

Narrator: Is that what a real man is supposed to look like?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Cohen Brothers' New Frontier.

As long as Bill Murray makes an appearance I'm fine with a Cohen directed DC movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SleepCousinDeath posted:

As long as Bill Murray makes an appearance I'm fine with a Cohen directed DC movie.

I'm not sure whether he should play a character or just show up at the last minute to give vital advice against the villain then get his rear end kicked.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm not sure whether he should play a character or just show up at the last minute to give vital advice against the villain then get his rear end kicked.

Bill Murray gives advice about defeating the villain, while dressed in a hooded robe and with a huge book chained to his wrist. Then Frances McDormand in a goth outfit chides him for interfering.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bill Murray gives iron man advice on how to beat Thanks. Tony says "wait are you Bill Murray?" And he just whispers in his ear "they'll never believe you" and vanishes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SleepCousinDeath posted:

The MSJ posted:

Bill Murray gives advice about defeating the villain, while dressed in a hooded robe and with a huge book chained to his wrist. Then Frances McDormand in a goth outfit chides him for interfering.

Whoosh.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

Whoosh.

I love that drat story, even if it might not be true.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love that drat story, even if it might not be true.

I've never heard a story that sounds so blatantly apocryphal.

e: for anyone that doesn't get it, look up "Bill Murray Cohen Coen"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

I've never heard a story that sounds so blatantly apocryphal.

It's not apocryphal inasmuch as Murray himself actually said it in an interview, but given his behavior in the rest of that interview it's clear that he was loving with the writer the entire time.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Alright, but what's the over-under on the Bill Murray french fry story being true?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
That scene in coffee and cigarettes is a documentary right? Please?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

It really isn't, because gaining a bunch of lean muscle has a very small window in which you can do it naturally. It's from when you're in your late teens through to your late twenties or early 30s if you've got good genes. After that, you can maintain, but it's too late to start, because the body just isn't what it was, in a very tangible, literal sense.

This is wrong. Or at least mostly wrong. It is more difficult to build muscle in your forties, much more in some ways. But, impossible without steroids? Nah. I don't know what pseudoscience you're reading, or who's telling you this, but don't spread it around, because some gullible person might read that and actually take steroids because they heard it's "too late to start". Nonsense.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Karloff posted:

This is wrong. Or at least mostly wrong. It is more difficult to build muscle in your forties, much more in some ways. But, impossible without steroids? Nah. I don't know what pseudoscience you're reading, or who's telling you this, but don't spread it around, because some gullible person might read that and actually take steroids because they heard it's "too late to start". Nonsense.

Cite someone who did it in their forties, having been a heavy drinker in their youth, and provide your reasoning for why you think they did it clean.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

Cite someone who did it in their forties, having been a heavy drinker in their youth, and provide your reasoning for why you think they did it clean.

Here is a study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19387379

Of course, this study doesn't include details of the substance abuse history of those involved but it does show that building muscle is quite possible at that age, and I cannot find any study or evidence that suggests that previous alcohol abuse is like a magic switch that means the effects of the study above no longer qualify.

Anecdotally, although I am not in my late forties (late twenties), I have had issues with repeated excessive drinking AND have managed to build muscle. I have no doubt that my progress would be far superior had I not drank. When (if) I reach my forties though, I don't think that my body will magically just stop being able to build any muscle (which is your claim, that it's impossible without steroid use) even if it does become more of a challenge, or I hit a genetic limit.

Alcohol can lower testosterone level which can be a big hindrance, and it's ability to disrupt rest is very damaging. But if you partied hard in your twenties, and want to build muscle in your forties then no it is, of course not impossible to do so naturally, especially if the heavy drinking is in the past, as your bodies ability to heal itself and adapt to a new way of living is quite remarkable. Even if you have had very serious drinking problems, you can turn your life around, and your claims that it's impossible and too late are in direct contradiction of the science. Unless you have some research to back up your claims:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Karloff posted:

Here is a study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19387379

Of course, this study doesn't include details of the substance abuse history of those involved but it does show that building muscle is quite possible at that age, and I cannot find any study or evidence that suggests that previous alcohol abuse is like a magic switch that means the effects of the study above no longer qualify.

Anecdotally, although I am not in my late forties (late twenties), I have had issues with repeated excessive drinking AND have managed to build muscle. I have no doubt that my progress would be far superior had I not drank. When (if) I reach my forties though, I don't think that my body will magically just stop being able to build any muscle (which is your claim, that it's impossible without steroid use) even if it does become more of a challenge, or I hit a genetic limit.

Alcohol can lower testosterone level which can be a big hindrance, and it's ability to disrupt rest is very damaging. But if you partied hard in your twenties, and want to build muscle in your forties then no it is, of course not impossible to do so naturally, especially if the heavy drinking is in the past, as your bodies ability to heal itself and adapt to a new way of living is quite remarkable. Even if you have had very serious drinking problems, you can turn your life around, and your claims that it's impossible and too late are in direct contradiction of the science. Unless you have some research to back up your claims:

I checked, and I never implied or said it was impossible to build muscle.

But building a lot of lean muscle and maintaining it from a cold start, having spent your youth abusing your body, in your early 40s and maintaining it into your 50s, which is what RDJ has done, and doing it to the schedule required by a series of big budget movies is pretty loving close. Unless he's got some absolutely fantastically athletic genes that utterly failed to manifest in his 20s.

They're all on steroids, which is fine. Movie stars cheating to produce their exceptional physiques is not a reason for anybody to not look after themselves generally.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 3, 2017

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

I checked, and I never implied or said it was impossible to build muscle.

Snowman_McK posted:

It really isn't, because gaining a bunch of lean muscle has a very small window in which you can do it naturally. It's from when you're in your late teens through to your late twenties or early 30s if you've got good genes. After that, you can maintain, but it's too late to start, because the body just isn't what it was, in a very tangible, literal sense.

I'm not sure how else to interpret this.

You're also not providing any evidence for your claims. Specifically, in fact, in regards to alcohols effects on muscle-protein synthesis, which unless I'm mistaken is an effect in immediacy, as in if you are abusing alcohol in the same period that you're attempting to build muscle you will have some problems. But if you stopped abusing alcohol ten years prior, the effects in that regard will have also stopped meaning that any renewed attempt to build muscle will be unaffected (this of course does not negate the long-term health affects on other parts of your body by alcohol, where the damage is more permanent).

Karloff fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 3, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Karloff posted:

I'm not sure how else to interpret this.

You're also not providing any evidence for your claims.

The study you provided gave a 2.4kg (roughly five pounds) increase in lean mass over 8 weeks. That was the higher end of gains. For Iron Man 2, he gained more than 20 pounds of lean muscle in 3 to 4 weeks at the age of 45 working out three times a week.

Looking after yourself later in life is great, but if you think that result is possible at that age, in that space of time, you're loving kidding.

EDIT: My mistake, it was actually three months. The first thing I read had the wrong timeframe.

That still doesn't make it plausible.

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/iron-man-workout#2

Not the most scientific source, sorry. But, unless the numbers of his weight are completely fabricated, RDJ is on gear.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 3, 2017

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

The study you provided gave a 2.4kg (roughly five pounds) increase in lean mass over 8 weeks. That was the higher end of gains. For Iron Man 2, he gained more than 20 pounds of lean muscle in 3 to 4 weeks at the age of 45 working out three times a week.

Looking after yourself later in life is great, but if you think that result is possible at that age, in that space of time, you're loving kidding.

That's not the claim I was arguing... you've moved the goalposts.

Robert Downey Jr. may well be on steroids - if your sole claim was "I doubt what RDJ did for Iron Man 2 was done naturally" I probably wouldn't have taken issue with what you said.

Once more, I took issue with this:

Snowman_McK posted:

Which is, for reasons I have explained, backed up by the study I posted and quite obvious if you think about it, wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Most importantly, what the gently caress does any of this have to do with comic book movies, take it to YLLS or the TCC roid thread

• Locked thread