Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The Trudeau government has so far spent $110,000 in legal fees to avoid paying $6,000 for a First Nations child's orthodontic treatment to deal with an impacted tooth that is causing chronic pain and could require invasive jaw surgery if preventive action isn't taken.

My guess is that the underlying cause is that the First Nations dental help program is extremely underfunded so they're able to justify it in court as saying they only have so much money to go around and they're using it to fund even more severe cases.

e: here's the source in case you care: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/health-canada-legal-fees-first-nations-girl-dental-coverage-1.4310224

e2: here's my favourite part:

quote:

Willier is not the first child to be repeatedly denied coverage. In 2015-16, nearly all applications, at all three levels of appeals pertaining to the orthodontics program, were denied by administrators of the benefits program: 99 per cent of first-level appeals, 100 per cent of second-level appeals and 100 per cent of all third-level appeals.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Thanks dude, I'll check out some of these for sure :rock:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

vyelkin posted:

The Trudeau government has so far spent $110,000 in legal fees to avoid paying $6,000 for a First Nations child's orthodontic treatment to deal with an impacted tooth that is causing chronic pain and could require invasive jaw surgery if preventive action isn't taken.

Write "We won't waste taxpayer money fighting losing, wrongheaded lawsuits against Canadians" or words to that effect on a piece of wood, throw it on the pile.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Dreylad posted:

I bored my grade 10 class to death by doing my Canadian history project on the Winnipeg General Strike, and there weren't many books at the time that focused exclusively on the strike. Surprisingly there still aren't many.
  • Confrontation at Winnipeg: Labour, Industrial Relations, and the General Strike by David Bercuson. Looks at the strike in a broad context of industrial relations in Canada after the war.
  • The Winnipeg General Strike of 1919: An Illustrated History by J. M. Bumsted. A little lighter than most social histories which isn't a bad thing. The pictures are great at least.
  • We're going to run this city: Winnipeg's Political Left after the General Strike by Stefan Epp-Koop looks at Winnipeg and the Left in the aftermath of the strike. I haven't read it but it looks good.
  • When the state trembled: How A.J. Andrews and the Citizens' Committee broke the Winnipeg General Strike by Reinhold Kramer and Tom Mitchell looks at how Winnipeg's business elite helped crush the strike.
  • Seeing Reds: The Red Scare of 1918-1919, Canada's First War on Terror by Daniel Francis puts the General Strike in the context of Canada's early anti-communist efforts.
There's a few older books and a number of scholarly articles on different aspects of the strike, but you'd need academic library access to get them. Although a bigger city reference library might have them!

Gonna order Seeing Reds for sure.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 9, 2022

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
marriage is a legal contract though

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
No one likes Andrew Scheer once you meet him.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 10, 2022

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Just another day on Parliament Hill.

(Please excuse the lovely phone quality photos)

e: highlights include the crowd chanting "you're sexy! You're cute! Take off your riot suits!" while the police struggled desperately to keep straight faces

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 30, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Just another day on Parliament Hill.

(Please excuse the lovely phone quality photos)

CBC coverage.

I'm just absolutely chuffed to see this bullshit taking off up here. On the plus side, the counter protests are absolutely dwarfing the white supremacist turn out.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

infernal machines posted:

CBC coverage.

I'm just absolutely chuffed to see this bullshit taking off up here. On the plus side, the counter protests are absolutely dwarfing the white supremacist turn out.

I happened to be within earshot when the antifa organizer guy spoke to one of the cops before leaving. The cop gave him the usual line about everyone having the right to free speech and the antifa dude gave the usual "hate speech isn't and should not be protected" response, but they were quite civil to one another. I found that particularly impressive given that the counterprotest broke through the police line and marched into the CCCC/Soldiers of Odin protest... enclosure thing. No arrests to my knowledge, no injuries. A Nazi skinhead did get water dumped on his head amidst a chorus of jeers for trying to start poo poo though.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 9, 2022

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

infernal machines posted:

CBC coverage.

The word "chuffed" doesn't mean what you think it does.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It's sarcasm.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
[quote="“Drewjitsu”" post="“476919711”"]
Nah, he’s just dumb as rocks. He unironically told me, to my face, that: “as a Libertarian, I’m opposed to how the government or other people should interfere in the lives of citizens, yet as a libertarian I can still oppose gay marriage because marriage is defined by the community, not by the government and they don’t want gay marriage. So I can be against gay marriage.”

I think I politely nodded at this while my brain attempted to flee my skull.
[/quote]

That sounds about par for who is winning elections nowadays. I wonder if Scheer will be the first Conservative to run on an anti-public healthcare platform. It's going to happen soon with the Conservatives shifting harder and harder right.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 26, 2018

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Who are the turds with their arms crossed in the second photo?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This isn't really CanPol but I thought it was funny... in November 2015 I got a ticket in Alberta. Whatever, I paid the fine, never thought about it again.

I got a letter in the mail a couple of weeks ago from the Alberta department of justice or whatever, it's a cheque for $20 for overpaying the bill. So I thought to myself ok, I obviously overpaid. Looked it up and yeah, it looks like I punched the wrong number into the screen.

I laugh at the fact that it took them almost two years to send me the cheque, then I go to cash it.

The cheque was dated from February, and is now expired so the bank wouldn't cash it. Despite the letter being sent to me in September, seven months after the date on the cheque.

I kind of feel like they're trying to keep my 20 bucks on purpose, at this point.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There was an old urban legend that you could overpay your speeding tickets, and never cash the cheque they send for the over payment, and the offense would never show up on your driving record. They probably figured you are one of those people and they're just doing it to gently caress with you.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hahahahaha I never knew that, and now I hope it's someone loving with me because I could absolutely respect that.

Since I can't be hosed chasing it down for $20 looks like I get to keep my perfect record now lol :smug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/ticket.asp

It turns out people are dumb and take advice from late 90s chain e-mails.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

mik posted:

Who are the turds with their arms crossed in the second photo?

Whatever the Soldiers/Sons of Odin are calling themselves these days. They had lovely graphic tees with crossed axes behind a round shield and viking helm. Supposedly this is a splinter faction of the SoO that broke off because a racist girl tried to gain some influence and authority in their racist boy's club and that was a bridge too far lmao

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

EvilJoven posted:

Being a CJ is probably marginally harder than being a line cook, but not by much. I fully admit that CJ positions are for people who are 'good at computers' who lack the drive and/or talent to get an actual good position in IT. I was gearing up to try to specialize into some kind of actual useful skill maybe 7 years ago or so but then everything went to poo poo and now I so loving hate computers at this point I'd rather just punch the clock doing something that requires very little thought until I figure out what I actually want to do with my life.

learn python and javascript in your downtime, make $100k as a 'full stack developer'.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Powershift posted:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/ticket.asp

It turns out people are dumb and take advice from late 90s chain e-mails.

Oh that explains why I'd never heard of it, I was ten years old in 1998.

I like to believe there are old people out there who read that in their emails twenty years ago and are still doing that.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Furnaceface posted:

NDP insiders are the ones causing you guys to lose, stop listening to them. :argh:

I am no joke considering it. My SA post history will surely lead to some amazing attack ads at the very least.

Lars Blitzer posted:

Seriously, do it. I'm sure someone will try doxxing you if you're a serious contender, but until then try to signal to your fellow Goons a stairs reference in a speech or something.

If you mention stairs you're going to get GBS all over you. Flash policartoon edits instead.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Whatever the Soldiers/Sons of Odin are calling themselves these days. They had lovely graphic tees with crossed axes behind a round shield and viking helm. Supposedly this is a splinter faction of the SoO that broke off because a racist girl tried to gain some influence and authority in their racist boy's club and that was a bridge too far lmao

There's the "Storm Alliance" which is the group that supposedly has "nothing to do" with white supremacy, they're just "ultranationalists," whatever the gently caress that means. They split off from SoO.

The main group on the Hill was the Concerned Canadian Citizens' Coalition or something. CCCC. They're against M103 and Islam and Shariah Law and all that stuff.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

That's the "Northern Guard". Soldiers of Odin were not on the hill but they were hiding out around Queen's Street and O'Connor trying to ambush or follow counter protesters afterwards.

Edit: It is Soldiers of Odin, not Sons.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 1, 2017

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/quito_maggi/status/914204267912802304

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Count Roland posted:

The word "chuffed" doesn't mean what you think it does.

It means "fuckin' A".

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
The lake tried to drown us then the air tried to choke us, anyone want to bet on what mother nature tries next to wipe Kelowna off the map before the year is out?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

When will we know the results of the NDP vote tomorrow? Is there going to be some stream of unveiling the results?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
I think they release orange smoke from the Broadbent Institute or something.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I can't wait to be disappointed no matter who wins!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

littleorv posted:

I can't wait to be disappointed no matter who wins!

Then why wait? Start now.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Servetus posted:

That's the "Northern Guard". Soldiers of Odin were not on the hill but they were hiding out around Queen's Street and O'Connor trying to ambush or follow counter protesters afterwards.

Edit: It is Soldiers of Odin, not Sons.

Well it's encouraging that the fringe right has the same splinter faction problem as the fringe left, at least.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vorebane posted:

If you mention stairs you're going to get GBS all over you. Flash policartoon edits instead.

One Justin Trudeau/The Keg analogy would probably do the trick.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There was either an isis terror attack in Edmonton or a junkie in a stolen U-haul out robbing poo poo and being chased by police

Who knows :shrug:

Pretty hard to tell apart terror attacks and business as usual these days.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Unless the junkie had a stolen ISIS flag in the vehicle because he was going to sell it for meth, it was terrorism.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

Unless the junkie had a stolen ISIS flag in the vehicle because he was going to sell it for meth, it was terrorism.

Yeah, so pretty much 50/50 at this point.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

EvilJoven posted:

RCMP probably gave him the flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is all Trudeau in his isis socks smuggling isis fighters in as refugees to implement sharia law in canada because he's a secret muslim.