Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Is putting the phone underwater not something you guys have done? I'm asking seriously - since the 7+ I have had it underwater (like a foot under) to record my daughter learning to swim and I take it in the shower to watch videos (not those kinds of videos) and listen to stuff and have done the latter with the new phone but not the former. It's good to hear that they will replace a phone for water damage if it is their fault although I doubt that is the case every time.

Have any of you guys had an 8/+ wet and have the speakers been ok? One of the issues with the 7+ for me getting wet, even just in the shower or in the rain and not just underwater, the sound was not very good afterwards for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

rio posted:

Is putting the phone underwater not something you guys have done? I'm asking seriously

Not even once.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

astral posted:

Not even once.

Yeah I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this for 2 reasons, the cost of the device and lack of any written warranty coverage for water damage. Swimming lessons dude you lucked out that you got that covered. You were almost out the entire cost of a new 8.

I know it's not $10,000 but still

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 1, 2017

Weedle
May 31, 2006

rio posted:

Is putting the phone underwater not something you guys have done?

Definitely not. It's nice to know that if it falls in the sink or tub or something I can fish it out and it'll probably be fine, but I'm not submerging my $900 phone on purpose.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Any recommendations for a suction cup magnet mount?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

rio posted:

Is putting the phone underwater not something you guys have done? I'm asking seriously - since the 7+ I have had it underwater (like a foot under) to record my daughter learning to swim and I take it in the shower to watch videos (not those kinds of videos) and listen to stuff and have done the latter with the new phone but not the former. It's good to hear that they will replace a phone for water damage if it is their fault although I doubt that is the case every time.

Have any of you guys had an 8/+ wet and have the speakers been ok? One of the issues with the 7+ for me getting wet, even just in the shower or in the rain and not just underwater, the sound was not very good afterwards for a while.

Yeah no. You are crazy. Just because it can doesn't mean it should.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

rio posted:

Obviously I have. I wouldn't bet on them replacing a phone for free without exceptional circumstance (like an obviously bad seal literally the day after you bought the thing).

All these "OMG $900" comments... Worst-case scenario, Applecare+ deductible is $99 (and AC+ is mandatory on iUP) so I'm perfectly happy to take that terrible risk to get some neat memories.

(And poo poo, I've been taking my iPads into the shower to watch videos since 2012 without issue and those don't even claim water resistance. Just sit them away from direct spray... Follow my lovely advice at your own risk though.)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
AppleCare+ doesn't cover water damage. You're not out the $99 deductible, you're out a full phone replacement.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

(And poo poo, I've been taking my iPads into the shower to watch videos since 2012 without issue and those don't even claim water resistance. Just sit them away from direct spray... Follow my lovely advice at your own risk though.)

goons.txt

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

BGrifter posted:

AppleCare+ doesn't cover water damage. You're not out the $99 deductible, you're out a full phone replacement.

You are wrong.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Even if it was $99, that'd still be $99 I could save by not doing dumb poo poo with my phone. I keep a case on my phone to protect it from falls but you don't see me throwing it on the ground just because I can.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

goons.txt

this is a banworthy post now, FYI

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Weedle posted:

Even if it was $99, that'd still be $99 I could save by not doing dumb poo poo with my phone. I keep a case on my phone to protect it from falls but you don't see me throwing it on the ground just because I can.

This is a stupid analogy, as the phone is not designed to withstand throwing it on the ground, and you gain zero benefit from doing so; you've analogized a 100% risk, 0 reward situation. The phone is however designed to withstand basic water contact - and in fact it does, manufacturing defects aside - and some of us do benefit from getting photos we otherwise wouldn't.

It's fine if the risk is not worth it to you. You don't have to do it.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

This is a stupid analogy, as the phone is not designed to withstand throwing it on the ground, and you gain zero benefit from doing so; you've analogized a 100% risk, 0 reward situation. The phone is however designed to withstand basic water contact - and in fact it does, manufacturing defects aside - and some of us do benefit from getting photos we otherwise wouldn't.

It's fine if the risk is not worth it to you. You don't have to do it.

Yeah, I didn't know if I would break the phone when I put it just under the pool water but the reward was worth the risk because it was the first time my daughter was swimming. I had also already seen multiple tests of the phone underwater and while I know that is not a guarantee, the phone is designed to be just fine underwater for extended periods of time.

On another topic, does anyone have advice for how to not make this loving phone slide around like it is ice skating? Maybe a case? I am not putting the phone on slanted surfaces but already I have had me scrambling to catch my 8+ multiple times having put it on a seemingly flat surface (places where my 7+ and all precious phones sat on just fine) and it looks ok but then in 5-10 seconds it has very slowly moved and is about to fall to the ground. I just had a scare in the kitchen with the phone slipping off the counter and falling but luckily I had unpacked groceries that were not put away yet and it fell on there so no damage. But drat, I am now super paranoid and need to do something about it.

So maybe a case or bumper? The thing is, I already notice the extra weight from the last gen to this one and don't want any more weight so it would have to be basically as light as possible to the point of not being noticeable and I would also like to not have it be thicker then the naked phone, or at least as minimal as possible. Since I have never used cases and rarely bought them just to try them, I am totally out of the loop and don't know what is good, what is bad or even what options there are to just not make the phone hover board itself off of ledges.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Choadmaster posted:

You are wrong.

Hmm I forgot this was the case, I guess if you have AC+ you're just risking the deductible and one of your two replacements. Maybe worth some underwater videos :)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is there anything I should do before swapping a phone aside from resetting all content & settings in the settings?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Proteus Jones posted:

Well to be fair, the water resistance rating is IPx7 which is "immersion in water up to one meter (3.3 feet) for 30 minutes"

HOWEVER, Apple still calls out water damage as NOT being covered by warranty, so he (or she) is probably poo poo out of luck.

And if you're in Australia you can laugh at them and show them the photos on their website that show the phone in water, and they can go and get hosed by the ACCC if they try to deny you a replacement.

I've gotten replacements from Sony and Apple for water damaged phones so far because strangely in this country we actually have rules that if you show your device in advertising as being fine getting wet you aren't allowed to just turn around and deny people a warranty for following your examples. Must suck to be in a country that doesn't have that kind of consumer rights.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is there anything I should do before swapping a phone aside from resetting all content & settings in the settings?

if you're set on going that route you can always reference apple's guide "What to do before you sell or give away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch"

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

rio posted:

Hahahahahaha

*purposely mistreats iPhone*
"Hey will my iPhone still work if I treat it like absolute poo poo?"

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hahahahahaha

Hint: treating the phone in ways apple advertised is not mistreating it. It should be covered by warranty for doing so. This is what happens in decent countries.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Hahahahahaha

It did still work - I think that since the speaker holes were small that a very small amount of water was blocking them and making the sound softer and more tinny until the water dried. It was just for a short amount of time and since I haven't put my 8+ underwater I was wondering if it was the same for this phone. That happened sometimes even in the shower and it doesn't really get that wet in there but sometimes if I need to use the phone (like, pick it up to type) water would get down there and the same quieter sound would happen. I imagine it is the same for the 8/+ but I was just curious.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I get that for a few generations now iPhones have been water resistant and even IP67 rated, but why the gently caress would someone use their iPhone in the shower. Just take a loving shower, finish and then go do whatever with your iPhone.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

rage-saq posted:

I get that for a few generations now iPhones have been water resistant and even IP67 rated, but why the gently caress would someone use their iPhone in the shower. Just take a loving shower, finish and then go do whatever with your iPhone.

Probably for the same reason that people have radios in their showers. Some days are really busy and I want 10-15 minutes to watch some of my YouTube subscriptions when I know that I won't have time otherwise to do it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

rio posted:

Probably for the same reason that people have radios in their showers. Some days are really busy and I want 10-15 minutes to watch some of my YouTube subscriptions when I know that I won't have time otherwise to do it.
You know Amazon sells waterproof Bluetooth speakers for like :20bux: or less, right? Get one of those and pair your phone to it. Don't intentionally get your several hundred dollar smart device wet because the warranty may or may not cover it :lol:

Come on, dude.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

[quote="“Rageaholic Monkey”" post="“476938881”"]
You know Amazon sells waterproof Bluetooth speakers for like :20bux: or less, right? Get one of those and pair your phone to it. Don’t intentionally get your several hundred dollar smart device wet because the warranty may or may not cover it :lol:

Come on, dude.
[/quote]

Or just rely on a decent consumer protection system that forces companies to adhere to their own advertised device specifications.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iajanus posted:

Or just rely on a decent consumer protection system that forces companies to adhere to their own advertised device specifications.
lmao you're living in a fantasy world, but okay!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Australians love to jerk off about their consumer protection laws much the same way Canadians do about our healthcare. It's a national sport cooking up elaborate plots to destroy consumer goods then demanding the company replace the obviously defective item.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

lmao you're living in a fantasy world, but okay!

You're right, this is just a wonderful fever dream.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

BGrifter posted:

Australians love to jerk off about their consumer protection laws much the same way Canadians do about our healthcare. It's a national sport cooking up elaborate plots to destroy consumer goods then demanding the company replace the obviously defective item.

The level of Stockholm Syndrome that Americans have for their country that actively hates them is dazzling.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You know Amazon sells waterproof Bluetooth speakers for like :20bux: or less, right? Get one of those and pair your phone to it. Don't intentionally get your several hundred dollar smart device wet because the warranty may or may not cover it :lol:

Come on, dude.

It's really easy to spot people living in countries with no consumer rights; they usually Stockholm really hard and defend the company.

You can use your waterproof phone in water.
Apple advertise it as such.

e: Welp, didn't see the previous post was also literally this.
e2: If you actually watch anyone testing the waterproofing on the new iPhones / Samsungs, they last way beyond their advertised ratings. The safe-allowance given in the IPx7 and IPx8 specs should never cause issues.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 1, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

rio posted:

[iPhone 8 sliding issues]

The day after I got my 8, I rested it on the flat edge of my (empty) bathtub. I didn’t think twice about it, since it’s something I’ve done with all my phones, including the glass-backed Galaxy S7. After a few seconds it slid right in, leaving me with a tiny scuff on the bottom and an even tinier dent on top.

I immediately went to the Apple store and got the Silicone case. It’s better than other silicone cases I’ve had on phones-it’s a lot stiffer than I expected (roughly on par with the Leather case) and is plenty grippy. They come in fun colors, too—I hemmed and hawed for a bit before deciding that I was man enough to rock the Ultra Violet color.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm gonna move to Australia just to run my 7+ through the microwave and see if I can get an 8+ out of it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wait...Apple got rid of a real home button and the most universal port that ever existed specifically because it made it easier to waterproof and somehow the phone still isn't supposed to be waterproof? Yeah, no - if I ever own a waterproof iPhone SE forever I'm taking that poo poo into the water just becaaaaaaause..

Also, glass backed phones are brutal for sliding. Remember the Nexus 4? That'd inexplicably slide off even soft surfaces. Glass hates being a solid state and is constantly looking for ways to return to sand.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Interesting thing I learned when I had a Sony Z3c (waterproof) back in the day. Apparently (correct me if this is misinformation) but in Australia it's common to fill swimming pools with salt water instead of fresh water. A bunch of people took their phones in the water to shoot video as the promotional materials showed and got their phones wrecked as the salt ruins all the waterproofing. Be careful Aussie goons.

My anecdote: I did enjoy the z3c in the pool taking pictures of my kids and getting weird looks that I was crazy, for a week. Then I realized it was more likely that something would go wrong and my phone would get busted which it inevitably did.

The waterproofing is a nice fail safe on the iPhone. You drop it by accident, get pushed into the pool by a friend (this time honored tradition went away in the early 2000s when everyone had pagers and cell phones and I cannot wait for it to return), or your wife runs through a torrential downpour and doesn't realize the phone is left in the spot you need to install a French drain for an hour (obviously speaking from experience).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I’ve always treated water resistance in phones as a last resort protection measure instead of a feature, regardless of celebrities dunking them in fish tanks or spraying champagne over them in ads.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The initial production of S7 Active's had a defect that made them not waterproof. So the rugged version of the S7 was less durable than the regular prettier model.

Even though Samsung knew exactly what serials were impacted, they still didn't expand the warranty. I guess their Active models don't sell enough to cause PR problems like exploding batteries. Those 7-series phones had some awesome designs and terrible loving quality control.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Know what doesn't slide when you put it down on any kind of surface? Saddle brown leather case.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

withak posted:

Know what doesn't slide when you put it down on any kind of surface? Grip tape.

Paging hotsauce to the iPhone thread...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Kerbtree posted:

Paging hotsauce to the iPhone thread...

Oddly, that's exactly who I bought the aforementioned Z3c from. Good dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
6s plus crashes randomly and freezes. Mic won't function in calls sometimes but works after restarting phone. Problems started after 11.0.0. Upgrading to 11.0.1 didn't help. Am I doomed until 11.1.xx?