Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Can we get the text of the actual language law under discussion? That can remove a lot of ambiguity here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Can we get the text of the actual language law under discussion? That can remove a lot of ambiguity here.

Basically all complaints stem from:

quote:

“Persons belonging to national minorities of Ukraine are guaranteed the right on education in municipal educational institutions of pre-school and primary education in the language of the national minority they belong to and in the official language of the State.”
not reading as

quote:

“Persons belonging to national minorities of Ukraine are guaranteed the right on education in the language of the national minority they belong to."

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Probably this:
http://www.golos.com.ua/article/294010

Article 7 is the relevant bits, I think.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Probably this:
http://www.golos.com.ua/article/294010

Article 7 is the relevant bits, I think.

Yeah, all complaints (Romania, Moldova, Hungary, Bulgaria, Greece, Russia) are about article 7 specifically. It is accused as violative of the Constitution of Ukraine (articles 10, 22, 23, and 53), the ECRML, the FCNM, Ukrainian law on national minorities in Ukraine (2494-XII), and some unspecified international agreements between Ukraine and its neighbours.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, all complaints (Romania, Moldova, Hungary, Bulgaria, Greece, Russia) are about article 7 specifically. It is accused as violative of the Constitution of Ukraine (articles 10, 22, 23, and 53), the ECRML, the FCNM, Ukrainian law on national minorities in Ukraine (2494-XII), and some unspecified international agreements between Ukraine and its neighbours.

From the Ukrainian Constitution parts, 53 is the most explicitly relevant, and I doubt it's actually conflicting, since it explicitly says "Citizens who belong to national minorities are guaranteed in accordance with the law the right to receive instruction in their native language, or to study their native language in state and communal educational establishments and through national cultural societies" and the law in question does in fact explicitly provide for the "...or" option for things beyond primary level.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I have no idea how this new law will coincide with the decentralization plan.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

From the Ukrainian Constitution parts, 53 is the most explicitly relevant, and I doubt it's actually conflicting, since it explicitly says "Citizens who belong to national minorities are guaranteed in accordance with the law the right to receive instruction in their native language, or to study their native language in state and communal educational establishments and through national cultural societies" and the law in question does in fact explicitly provide for the "...or" option for things beyond primary level.

The obvious difference that I see is that the new law only mentions communal educational establishments in relation to ethnic minorities, which implies that state schools and universities will only provide education in Ukrainian.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

The obvious difference that I see is that the new law only mentions communal educational establishments in relation to ethnic minorities, which implies that state schools and universities will only provide education in Ukrainian.
I don't think anyone hasn't noticed this implication.

The exception here is granted to the indigenous people (they have right for pre-university bilingual education until the end of secondary school). Other than that, educational institutions will be allowed to teach (likely just some) subjects also in English or in one of the official languages of the EU member states.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 30, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What was the stated rationale of the law? Is there an anti-Russification argument in play here?

As an American I find fully parallel language education systems difficult to understand from an infrastructure and cost perspective.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

What was the stated rationale of the law? Is there an anti-Russification argument in play here?

As an American I find fully parallel language education systems difficult to understand from an infrastructure and cost perspective.
No one important would be even remotely as bold as to even think loudly in terms of "anti-Russification" on a level of a parliamentary action. The stated rationale is following:

quote:

The objectives of equal opportunities of all members of the Ukrainian society form the basis of the newly adopted Law “On Education”. The considerations took account of the assessments of steadily dropping level of secondary education among children receiving instruction in the language of national minorities. For instance, in 2016 over 36% of school graduates in Zakarpattya region scored 1 to 3 grades in the Ukrainian language on the 12 grade scale. In particular, in Beregove district of that region, which is densely populated by the Hungarian national minority, 75% of school graduates scored 1 to 3 grades in the Ukrainian language on the 12 grade scale. In 2016, in total 60,1% of children belonging to Hungarian and Romanian national minorities did not pass the threshold of testing in the State language.

The reform of the education system in Ukraine will improve the quality of education, open up further prospects for continuous education, enhance equality of opportunities, foster competitiveness of the young people in the labour market and employment, including in the public sector. The possibilities for the young people, including from national minorities, to fully realize their potential and aspirations will be significantly broadened.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 30, 2017

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

It's blatantly anti-Russification (though that won't be said out loud).

Left bars are Ukrainian fluency in 1989/2001, right bars are Russian fluency in 1989/2001.

Other languages are much, much smaller and if Kal is right and they're giving exceptions to EU languages then that covers almost all the major non-Ukrainian speakers except Russians.

As for the cost/infrastructure I imagine it's not so different from Canada, where there's French-language education in Quebec. Everyone outside Quebec learns basic French, everyone in Quebec learns pretty much fluent English. There are some English-language and some French-language universities in Quebec. Outside Quebec almost every institution is English-language. Maintenance of the systems isn't that difficult because primary French-speakers are relatively geographically concentrated. If Ukraine is anything remotely similar then this is basically a move aimed at de-Russifying the eastern border over time.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 30, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

vyelkin posted:

It's blatantly anti-Russification.

Left bars are Ukrainian fluency in 1989/2001, right bars are Russian fluency in 1989/2001.

Other languages are much, much smaller and if Kal is right and they're giving exceptions to EU languages then that covers everyone except Russia.

As for the cost/infrastructure I imagine it's not so different from Canada, where there's French-language education in Quebec. Everyone outside Quebec learns basic French, everyone in Quebec learns pretty much fluent English. There are some English-language and some French-language universities in Quebec. Outside Quebec almost every institution is English-language. Maintenance of the systems isn't that difficult because primary French-speakers are relatively geographically concentrated. If Ukraine is anything remotely similar then this is basically a move aimed at de-Russifying the eastern border over time.

You can read about EU languages here yourself.

E:

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 30, 2017

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Not sure what you're saying here, they'll still be offering course *of* the native language post-primary school, which is sufficient to meet that particular article's explicit language.
(Whether it's enough for the European chapter is far harder to say, since that use rather open-ended language on what's appropriate...)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Not sure what you're saying here, they'll still be offering course *of* the native language post-primary school, which is sufficient to meet that particular article's explicit language.
(Whether it's enough for the European chapter is far harder to say, since that use rather open-ended language on what's appropriate...)
Stuff other than native language/literature/culture will not be taught in Russian even in Russian schools, past 5th grade. It remains to be seen it privately-funded schools will have a curriculum leeway.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Stuff other than native language/literature/culture will not be taught in Russian even in Russian schools, past 5th grade. It remains to be seen it privately-funded schools will have a curriculum leeway.

Right, and I agree it's reasonable to consider that wrong, I am just saying that appears to be explicitly listed as a permissible setup by Article 53 of the Ukrainian Constitution (so long as the native language stuff itself is taught), so that part of the legal argument against the law is unlikely[*] to hold water.

[*] unless appropriate judges are bribed.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Right, and I agree it's reasonable to consider that wrong, I am just saying that appears to be explicitly listed as a permissible setup by Article 53 of the Ukrainian Constitution (so long as the native language stuff itself is taught), so that part of the legal argument against the law is unlikely[*] to hold water.

[*] unless appropriate judges are bribed.

Ah, I think he was just clarifying the situation for the sake of it, rather than arguing against the point you made earlier.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

For some local insight, my school in ZKP offers Czech, French, English, Hungarian, and last year German.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shes Not Impressed posted:

For some local insight, my school in ZKP offers Czech, French, English, Hungarian, and last year German.

Genuinely curious - how much serious interest for Czech there was?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
And why Czech instead of Slovak?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Thousands of people from Western Ukraine work seasonally in Prague. In every village in ZKP I was able to easily find somebody who spoke pretty fluent Czech. Also Czech tourism to the ZKP region is pretty major.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Kopijeger posted:

I don't want to risk being too specific, but my school is affiliated with Czechs.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It was an easy choice: the Slovaks vacated; the Checks checked in.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

It was an easy choice: the Slovaks vacated; the Checks checked in.

Czechs out.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My school had Polish (some sort of program with the Polish embassy), English, Russian and French at least, maybe German too. The whole debate is about the langue of instruction, and not availability of "foreign" languages though. Obviously it's great to let people study in their native tongues but what good is it if higher education is only available in one or at best two languages? It would be effectively keeping them out of universities. Realistically even in the best case scenario you could have have Ukrainian and Russian instruction but there's no way to ensure an equally high level for all minority languages. TBH I don't know what would be the best solution.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

My school had Polish (some sort of program with the Polish embassy), English, Russian and French at least, maybe German too. The whole debate is about the langue of instruction, and not availability of "foreign" languages though. Obviously it's great to let people study in their native tongues but what good is it if higher education is only available in one or at best two languages? It would be effectively keeping them out of universities. Realistically even in the best case scenario you could have have Ukrainian and Russian instruction but there's no way to ensure an equally high level for all minority languages. TBH I don't know what would be the best solution.
You could try the inverse of Latvian education system and enforce a strong Ukrainian language and literature curriculum whilst conduction instruction of the other subjects in a minority language, but that will not really help much with the problem. You need immersion to efficiently learn the language, and people who have non-Ukrainian family, friends, classmates, teachers etc. will get jack poo poo of it whilst enjoying more or less pointlessly higher workload (especially in minority-majority districts, where random people outside your bubble won't have Ukrainian as their go to language either).

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Something something re Russia and the Saudis:

https://twitter.com/SlavaTheThird/status/916042947610656769

Play in background for proper effect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzVBqBosf5w

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Something something re Russia and the Saudis:

https://twitter.com/SlavaTheThird/status/916042947610656769

Play in background for proper effect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzVBqBosf5w

Russia should have a red saber, while the Saudi have been confirmed to be on Yoda's side.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah neo-communist red and Islamic green. You had one job!

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/915598299129946114

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm reminded of this, but I'm confident that Russia will be much stricter about enforcing proper adherence to construction regulations than the decadent west.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://time.com/4971824/russian-military-bans-selfies/
lol they're onto you Brown Moses. I love this, it's like babby's first opsec. How has it taken them this long?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

No tarps, no stray dogs 2/10

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
No commentary on the weird rosary thing in Poland?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

OddObserver posted:

Breaking news, Polish conservatives are xenophobic weirdos.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kopijeger posted:

slovak is a fake nationality invented by George Soros in the Treaty of Trianon to cripple Glorious Hungary

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

OddObserver posted:

The train operator suddenly became generous to offer tickets to this event across the country for a nominal fee of 1 zloty, which was cool because you could just jump off the train somewhere along the way and go do your thing for cheap.

Regrettably, nothing really funny happened at the prayers themselves.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

slovak is a fake nationality invented by George Soros in the Treaty of Trianon to cripple Glorious Hungary

Impressive that he did that ten years before being born.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kopijeger posted:

Illuminati-tech time machine. Duh.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Kopijeger posted:

Well, some people actually believe he was SS officer, despite the fact that he was 14 in 1945. But fact checking is for sheeple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dwesa posted:

Well, some people actually believe he was SS officer, despite the fact that he was 14 in 1945. But fact checking is for sheeple.
The Brezhnev period was made up by Mikhail Gorbachev to justify the policies that would bring the USSR to its knees, and every other government played along with it because it served their purposes. We're actually only coming up the end of the millennium now, which explains why Trump rose to power so long after the end of the millennium. The world itself will end during his fourth term, as the Mayans predicted.