Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thanks! Glad to hear I've been doing something right at least.

Also, just realised the skink advisor who gives the missions is called Yookannadoozat :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Man, when do we get workshop support? this lack of mods is killing me.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Hams Elf History is basically best summed up with a giant sign that says "We Have Made Errors."

Don't you mean "mistakes were made"?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I restarted my Dark Elves campaign and I'm styling on the local area thanks to having a rough idea of what to do. Poor old chaos dudes are getting sacked so hard.

JBP fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 1, 2017

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
In the easy elf campaign you are given a phoenix unit that has a "bomb directly beneath" ability. Is there a way to get him to hover over a unity without engaging so I can use it properly? Right now I'm clicking just behind and then bombing as he flies over...

Is there a way to remember my unit groupings between battles so I don't have to redo them each time?

How do I get people to trade with me? They all hate me because of "aversion" and "great power".

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I know people have said it doesn't matter if a faction gets ahead of you in the ritual race but is there a way to catch up really? In my game as Morathi, just did ritual 2 and Skaven and Lizardmen are way behind but the high elves have started 3 I think and my intervention force did poo poo all. I've conquered Mazdamundi so I've got two of the settlements that give ritual stuff but seems like that won't be enough to catch back up, not getting quests or missions to get extras anymore either. When I killed Maz, Kroks faction just took over their progress so even if I sailed over to Lothern and took them out, which seems difficult and I would still be behind. Some subfaction of High Elves have taken a bunch of territory to the east of Malekiths starting position while I've been loving around with the lizardmen so I think I need to take them out next.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Dark elves could probably get away with building tall and sticking to their starting province.

My capital makes 12k a turn and I'm only at 56% slaves.

I hate Morathi's spells. The pit won't let me overcast so the damage isn't great, overcast text is in red on the character sheet maybe it is bugged? Reducing enemy damage is OK I guess. Anything I'm missing?

I really like shades, hydras, and dark riders. Corsairs seem underwhelming and I have no idea how to use witch elves without them dying.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Witch elves keep what ever they are fighting still

Think of them as tar pits

Did a dragon just land on your back line? Send the witch elves, the dragon will not flee, the witch elves will make it enraged, then send in something to kill the dragons. Like just shoot at it with all of your dark shards.

Normal corsairs are not as good as corsairs with handbows since they have 360 shoot on the move. But if you like to just shoot, then shades or darkshards are the way to go.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Idk if I'm slow to realize this but the starts are VERY different from Hard to Very Hard. As Teclis on Hard, due to upkeep being lower you have 400 more gold per turn, the frostbirb costs almost 100 less, spearmen 30 less and teclis 50 less. Also on Hard the lizardmen you start out at war with don't have a stack with 12 units right next to your starting position like they do on Very Hard.

Was it like this in TWW1 as well? I don't recall Templehof having a larger army between Hard and VH for instance but I'm also probably an idiot.

Oh and regarding the starting difficulty and battle difficulty discussion earlier - the battle difficulty slider in the 'select lord' screen shows normal but when you start the game up and check campaign options it ends up at whatever overall difficulty you selected.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

fuf posted:

How do I get people to trade with me? They all hate me because of "aversion" and "great power".

If you are High Elf, use your influence to boost your reputation with them and then lock them into a trade agreement before they decide they actually don't like you after all. Otherwise, you pretty much have to hope they offer a non-aggression with you so you can build up rep. Don't bother with cash gifts, once they are even one point into negative it takes hundreds of thousands of gold to make them agree to anything.

thebardyspoon posted:

I know people have said it doesn't matter if a faction gets ahead of you in the ritual race but is there a way to catch up really? In my game as Morathi, just did ritual 2 and Skaven and Lizardmen are way behind but the high elves have started 3 I think and my intervention force did poo poo all. I've conquered Mazdamundi so I've got two of the settlements that give ritual stuff but seems like that won't be enough to catch back up, not getting quests or missions to get extras anymore either. When I killed Maz, Kroks faction just took over their progress so even if I sailed over to Lothern and took them out, which seems difficult and I would still be behind. Some subfaction of High Elves have taken a bunch of territory to the east of Malekiths starting position while I've been loving around with the lizardmen so I think I need to take them out next.

You'd pretty much either have to snap up all of the ritual resource sites to catch up or raze the ones the High Elves already have to slow them down.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Do I need to start a new campaign to lower unit size? I've tried reloading and quitting and restarting the game but nothing changes. It sucks because magic is way too weak on ultra size and I'm playing spell caster lords.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

Dark elves could probably get away with building tall and sticking to their starting province.

My capital makes 12k a turn and I'm only at 56% slaves.

I hate Morathi's spells. The pit won't let me overcast so the damage isn't great, overcast text is in red on the character sheet maybe it is bugged? Reducing enemy damage is OK I guess. Anything I'm missing?

I really like shades, hydras, and dark riders. Corsairs seem underwhelming and I have no idea how to use witch elves without them dying.

You absolutely can. I'm nearing completion on my Malekith campaign and I only ever took the first province and 2 cities nearby (since one of them is a ritual resource site and the other is in between). I also picked up 2 more ritual resource cities across the world but they were solely for bar progression and didn't make any money, especially since I blocked slaves from arriving anywhere except my capital. Between slaves and the 60k gold you get from sacking any major settlement, you make plenty of cash. And apparently losing the ritual race doesn't matter anyways, so you could probably ignore resource sites altogether.

Personally I hate Witch Elves in their intended role of butchering low armor units, same as I hate flagellants, berserkers, etc. But Witch Elves are counter-intuitively pretty great against something that typically hard counters their niche: cavalry. Cav will annihilate them of course, but if you mix them in with some spears/halberds, the anti-large guys will do the work while the witch elves prevent them from running.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Do I need to start a new campaign to lower unit size? I've tried reloading and quitting and restarting the game but nothing changes. It sucks because magic is way too weak on ultra size and I'm playing spell caster lords.

Magic seems pretty good on ultra though? I went with Teclis first and he seemed totally fine. Campaign 2 I went down Malekith's spell line before anything else and it's great. Certainly a fuckload better than the early days of TWW1.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 1, 2017

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm afraid so, unit size is set when the campaign begins. "Large" is generally considered to be the balanced size in terms of magic.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Vargs posted:

Magic seems pretty good on ultra though? I went with Teclis first and he seemed totally fine. Campaign 2 I went down Malekith's spell line before anything else and it's great. Certainly a fuckload better than the early days of TWW1.

It's a lot better than in WH1 but the direct damage spells are still pretty weak on ultra unit size.

Krazyface posted:

I'm afraid so, unit size is set when the campaign begins. "Large" is generally considered to be the balanced size in terms of magic.

Dang.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Each faction is missing a few things that we will inevitably see in DLC. Off the top of my head there's:

High Elves
White Lion Chariot: A chariot pulled by white lions and manned by White Lions
Shadows: Hybrid battlefield scouts/assasins
Sisters of Athelorn: Elite archers with magic flaming bows
Skycutter Chariot: Flying chariot pulled by a bird. Comes with a mounted bolt thrower
Archmage: Caster Lord

Dark Elves:
Warlocks: Magic light cavalry with bound spells
Medusa: Magic monster that makes thing bleed to death by looking at them
Bloodwrack Shrine: A big chariot with a medusa on it
Charybdis: Similar to a hydra but more geared to take down other large monsters rather then ranked units
Scourgerunner chariot: Light skirmishing chariot with a harpoon gun
Sisters of Slaughter: Gladiator light infantry

Lizardmen:
Ark of Sotek: Bastiladon variant that can shoot snakes and deploy snake swarms
Hunting pack: Large lizards that shoot volleys of spines
Salamander pack: Large lizards that shoot fire
Ripperdactyls: Melee/shock focused dactyls
Troglodon: Big bipedal dino that can spit acid and has a special skink with bound spells.

Skaven:
Ratling gun: Rapid fire gun that's very inaccurate and unreliable
Poison gas mortar: Mortar that gasses units
Choppy thing: I can't remember its name but it's a chainsaw/lawnmower thing that gets pushed into enemy units
Warplock Jezzails: Long range sharpshooters with pavise shields
Giant rats: War hound style unit for taking down skirmishers

Let's not discount the Forge World units these factions had available!

Lizardmen could get the Dread Saurian, a goddamn kaiju sized dino:

Skaven meanwhile could get Brood Horrors as both feral monsters and character mounts:

And Elves get nothing because gently caress Elves.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Genghis Cohen posted:

There are a fair few in irritating bad-climate locations:

Altar of Ultimate Darkness (just West of Naggarond)
Something spire, on the west coast about halfway down.
Tor Anlec and the altar of khaine, on the north side of ulthuan, have one each.
Vauls Anvil south of clar karond, really good one. (This is good climate)

Most are quite useful little bonuses. I just pick them up out of a sense of completion really.

Which side you talking about? It's different for all of them. You said Tor Anlec so I'm guessing your referring to dark elves here.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 1, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I know this is a single line but this is reinforcing the thought that southern realms are gonna play like good guy norse

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
the stuff about unit sizes should really go into the OP I think, especially since the game defaults to, I believe, "normal" unit size?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

MadJackMcJack posted:

If you are High Elf, use your influence to boost your reputation with them and then lock them into a trade agreement before they decide they actually don't like you after all. Otherwise, you pretty much have to hope they offer a non-aggression with you so you can build up rep. Don't bother with cash gifts, once they are even one point into negative it takes hundreds of thousands of gold to make them agree to anything.

Ok cool thanks, I forgot about that mechanic.

Krazyface posted:

Lame! I thought that was just a graphical option. It's in video settings...

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Counterpoint: Total War is all about More Stuff so ultra is the best size.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I just had 3 rat armies fight 2 high elf armies

my computer was not happy about that

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I forgot unit size affected all the magic stuff, no wonder the Black Arc stuff felt like it did nothing on ultra. I think I was able to get a single unit to half hp with everything it had.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
There's a wandering horde called Morrslieb's Howlers wandering around Naggaroth in my game. It's led by a Skaven General and is composed of two flagellant units, two night goblin archer (with fanatics) units, two doom divers, a grail reliquae and an arachnaork spider.

I feel like I want to help these guys settle down and form an empire in Dark Elf territory.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

Counterpoint: Total War is all about More Stuff so ultra is the best size.

Bigly.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I finally had a rogue army settle down and I checked their garrison.

Oh boy I want to play as a rogue army.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 1, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sounds like an easy place to take with spearmen. The game seems weirdly balanced, it gives all these cool monster units but for Dark elves and High elves their best infantry is armor piercing anti large so they wreck monsters.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

SteelMentor posted:

Let's not discount the Forge World units these factions had available!

Lizardmen could get the Dread Saurian, a goddamn kaiju sized dino:

Skaven meanwhile could get Brood Horrors as both feral monsters and character mounts:

And Elves get nothing because gently caress Elves.

I was just thinking "those possible elf units other than the medusa seem lame as poo poo, while the skaven/lizardmen ones are rad" and then you've gotta go ahead and exacerbate the problem.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Vargs posted:

I was just thinking "those possible elf units other than the medusa seem lame as poo poo, while the skaven/lizardmen ones are rad" and then you've gotta go ahead and exacerbate the problem.

Hey now, the Scourgerunner Chariot also has the potential to be pretty rad:

See that big old harpoon? That's not just an upscaled crossbow to simply kill stuff, there's actually a cable attached to the harpoon. So when it hits a monster, the chariot will drag it along the ground after itself Mongol-style. That'd be a fun way to get annoying pegasus-riding mages back on the ground. :getin:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Hot (well, maybe lukewarm) take: High Elves should have been a DLC race. Tomb Kings should have been in the base game instead because they fill roughly the same niche of 'honourable jackasses with a massive superiority complex' and 'fairly standard total war army' but their base units are fuckin rad magic mummies and gold-plated skeletons and skeleton chariots and not, y'know, elves.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Rogue armies are officially bullshit.
In my Mazdamundi campaign a rogue army that formed a little empire in Delf lands has been sending stacks filled with high tier chaos/delf units and anywhere from 5 to 10 loving black dragons south. And if that obnoxious army composition wasn't enough, for some loving reason they get to spawn a full garrison and wall-buildings the turn after they conquer one of my towns.

Anyone know of there are still console commands you can use as cheat codes? That poo poo isn't fun to fight against.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Pierson posted:

Hot (well, maybe lukewarm) take: High Elves should have been a DLC race. Tomb Kings should have been in the base game instead because they fill roughly the same niche of 'honourable jackasses with a massive superiority complex' and 'fairly standard total war army' but their base units are fuckin rad magic mummies and gold-plated skeletons and skeleton chariots and not, y'know, elves.

Yeah, but who would buy the High Elves DLC ???

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
If a building like the iron mine says "-25% recruitment cost for Swordsmen" I guess that only applies to the local province rather than faction-wide? Most effects say (faction-wide) or (local province only) afterwards, but others don't.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Lt. Lizard posted:

Good point.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
I really don't like that they linked upkeep to difficulty. I really liked the old very hard and now I'm struggling to find a fun setting. Its either too difficult because I can barely afford a stack or too easy because the AI doesn't get enough economic bonuses.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Torture elf talk:

Am I using Doombolt wrong or is it really underwhelming?
Do roads in one province stack?
What are you using for late game armies? Earlygame I did all right with Dakshards and Corsairs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lt. Lizard posted:

High Elves are the funnest race in the game to play though

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Eh, much as I think the high elves are boring, in the campaign setting of TW2 they and Ulthuan are too important to not be playable at launch.

Skaven feel like the ones that could have been skipped and left for DLC.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Raygereio posted:

Rogue armies are officially bullshit.
In my Mazdamundi campaign a rogue army that formed a little empire in Delf lands has been sending stacks filled with high tier chaos/delf units and anywhere from 5 to 10 loving black dragons south. And if that obnoxious army composition wasn't enough, for some loving reason they get to spawn a full garrison and wall-buildings the turn after they conquer one of my towns.

Anyone know of there are still console commands you can use as cheat codes? That poo poo isn't fun to fight against.

I had these guys who I think were called the Sentinels of the Storm whose army consisted of:

1x Saurus Leader
5x Saurus with shield
5x Spear Saurus with shield
5x Kroxigor
3x Dragon Ogres
1x Dragon Ogre Shaggoth

They were not fun to have raging through my territory during a ritual as Teclis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

genericnick posted:

Torture elf talk:

Am I using Doombolt wrong or is it really underwhelming?
Do roads in one province stack?
What are you using for late game armies? Earlygame I did all right with Dakshards and Corsairs.
Its pretty underwhelming but its cheap and procs your "while casting" armor debuff that lasts for 15 seconds, so spam that poo poo.

IIRC, no, roads are region-specific for some reason but I'm not sure.

Lategame my armies are a mix of the three top-tier infantry in Black Guard, Executioners, and Witch Elves, with a few Great Weapon Shades and Darkshards for ranged, a single bolt-thrower, and then some mix of heroes and hydras/dragons, with a small number of Cold One Knights on the side.