Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Cingulate posted:

Again, I am not saying the sides have the same relationship to the truth and the media. I am saying, yes, categorically speaking, the centre, centre-left, left, and far left all love their own lies and their own fake news.

And I am sure you can readily find articles arguing "Trump kicking out a mother cause her child cries proves he is a misogynist and therefore he must be stopped".
It would be hubris of the worst kind not to see this. It's what trump supporters do, "I have seen the truth and understand the world better than you. "

But leftist are flawed humans just like everyone else and can and do fall in self-serving fallacies and fall for propaganda. Thanks to this thread, for one, I saw the crying baby video and realized it's nothing like what the screeds had let me believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Cingulate posted:

I'm very European and I dislike nationalism and patriotism, so intuitively I don't sympathise with the Catalans, but it seems to me for a nationalist independence movement, they're doing just about everything right one could hope for: they're civil, peaceful, and democratic.

Disliking nationalism and patriotism is cool and good, but how does that translate to preferring the spanish nation state over the (as of yet non-existing) catalan nation state?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

cebrail posted:

Disliking nationalism and patriotism is cool and good, but how does that translate to preferring the spanish nation state over the (as of yet non-existing) catalan nation state?
I see yhis a lot. Just a preference for EU nationalism, imo.

When I point that out I usually hear protests that supporting the EU isn't nationalism. It is. You support your preferred identity-polity over others. That's nationalism. You'll say it's not a nation, or a collection of nations or w/e, but it doesn't matter. "The nation" doesn't exist, the political unit exercising political power (undemocratically in the case of the EU, because of the Eurogroup among other things) is what those people have been hoodwinked into supporting.

It's not classical nationalism, since it's not belonging to an ethnic and linguistic tribe, but it is about a feeling of belonging to a tribe and supporting the raw political aims of its elite. So same.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

GaussianCopula posted:

It's good to see that Rajoy and the Spanish police respects the decision of the courts and cracks down on the Catalan separatists, who tried to disregard the courts like Trump and Orban.

Yupp they're doing anything possible to make the Catalan independence movement stronger.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

The referendum is illegal and the Spanish government has the duty to do everything to stop it. They should throw every Catalonian official who acts against the Spanish constitution and the verdict of the Spanish constitutional court in prison and not negotiate with traitors.

gently caress off, Franco.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Also perfectly describes inane bullshit like the "pee tape" or the story that Trump kicked out a woman from one of his rallies cause her baby was crying. It's not particularly hard for somebody to ignore left-of-far-right media when people have been all too willing to add a bunch of made-up wish fulfilment on top of how genuinely terrible the man already is.

Eh, what? The piss tape real meme is about pointing out that we don't know if the tape is real or not, but that nobody would actually be surprised if it was. Hiring Russian hookers to piss on Obama's bed and getting caught is just perfectly in line with everything wee know about the President of the United States and that's the actually absurd and funny point if this meme. Even the intelligence agencies didn't dismiss the dossier outright. Do you have some numbers about how many people actually firmly believe that the dossier is real instead of doing the piss tape is real meme?

Also, I saw an unedited video of Trump beefing with that baby with my own eyes. It started with him playing it off for laughter and making himself look good but after the baby kept crying and he had no use for it anymore he started getting annoyed with it. I don't know if he actually was annoyed enough to throw them out, I never bothered to research it but it would make sense. How is this the same thing as fake news?

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Ei GC does that mean you also support the venezuelan high court and the people who carry out their rullings?big if true.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So the Catalonian referendum is happening with the police taking down voting stations among heavy protests. So far there have been several charges, with 38 wounded, none of them with severe injuries. I can't see any reports of voters being violent, most of the photos I've seen are of people sitting down and resisting being carried away by the police. There is no census, no envelopes to vote with (so no privacy) and the people who were in charge of making sure the referendum result was real stepped down a week ago after facing heavy fines.

The Generalitat has answered by letting people vote wherever they want with no control whatsoever, with slips printed at home, but still claims that the referendum has all guarantees and is still valid.

Madrid will claim that there has been no referendum and the Generalitat that even under oppression the people have spoken and we'll be in exactly the same place than three months ago but considerably angrier.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

It turns out that "A boot in every face,an autoritarian in every home" is a pretty powerfull slogan for people who are just the worst.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

East Germans deserved to be shot for defying the law and undermining the internationally recognized, sovereign DDR in 1989.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The only thing I know is that every time GC posts, I get a tiny bit more convinced that the Allies should have gone ahead with the Morgenthau Plan after the war.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Phlegmish posted:

East Germans deserved to be shot for defying the law and undermining the internationally recognized, sovereign DDR in 1989.

In hindsight, given how they vote for AfD now, yes.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cebrail posted:

First, it seems to me to be in effect anti-EU. Second, it's motivated by nationalism. Third, it has a component of anti-solidarity. Catalonia is dynamic, productive, and in consequence, rich. It is understandable they want to keep some of this for themselves. But it's not how I would like to see things done. We should show solidarity with each other, and tear borders down, not erect new ones.
Of course, many of the stated motivations of the pro-independence catalans are perfectly valid and convincing. But in sum, it's a nationalist, patriotic movement. So I cannot condemn it, and I am sure many good people are behind it, but a new nation state emerging is not what I'm hoping for.

Dawncloack posted:

I see yhis a lot. Just a preference for EU nationalism, imo.
To me, supporting the EU is just a stepping stone for a future without borders. It's not a preference for the EU because either 1. it's my tribe, 2. I think it's the best tribe; it's an anti-tribal movement. Support of the EU, to me, is not patriotism, it's almost entirely anti-patriotism.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Hiring Russian hookers to piss on Obama's bed and getting caught is just perfectly in line with everything wee know about the President of the United States
No, it's in line with a demonisation of an already terrible man. His stupid stunts look very different from this, and inventing new things he supposedly did, and circle jerking off about it, is the essence of fake news.
Consider the Trump dossier, the, if I remember correctly, origin of the pee tape. Around election day, the entire buzzfeed section of the internet was convinced every word in it was true and it would lead to the removal of Trump. Again, I don't claim numbers are comparable between left and right. I'm saying, numbers are quite significant on the left.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Also, I saw an unedited video of Trump beefing with that baby with my own eyes. It started with him playing it off for laughter and making himself look good but after the baby kept crying and he had no use for it anymore he started getting annoyed with it. I don't know if he actually was annoyed enough to throw them out, I never bothered to research it but it would make sense. How is this the same thing as fake news?
News reports claim 1. Trump actually had the woman and baby removed, 2. was mean spirited about it - without any actual support for these, and in contradiction to what the woman herself said.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The whole Catalonian referendum would be a pretty funny story about another rightwing government shooting itself in the foot due to its own incompetence, were it not for said rightwing government deciding to throw away the mask entirely and starting to brutalize people en masse.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The lesson I've learned from the Catalonian referendum is (once again) the importance of mass media and the information war. Feed enough information to the people for a long enough period (in this case, 10+ years) and, slowly, enough people will believe whatever the gently caress you want without even a second thought. In my mind, it's just a clash between some people to preserve the status quo against another group who just wants to gain power, the good ol story of the world.

The actual result of the referendum is inconsequential, the true purpose was to set up the confrontation, and now you have some pretty photos and vids of common people being repressed, bam, public relations war won. The most amusing (and sad thing) about the whole ordeal is that middle-class people in Catalonia are the ones who will probably suffer the most about the whole thing and it turns out they are the most vocal group about it.

But what the gently caress do I know, I'm just a provincial lobster trying to make a living in this lovely world.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Cingulate posted:

First, it seems to me to be in effect anti-EU. Second, it's motivated by nationalism. Third, it has a component of anti-solidarity. Catalonia is dynamic, productive, and in consequence, rich. It is understandable they want to keep some of this for themselves. But it's not how I would like to see things done. We should show solidarity with each other, and tear borders down, not erect new ones.
Of course, many of the stated motivations of the pro-independence catalans are perfectly valid and convincing. But in sum, it's a nationalist, patriotic movement. So I cannot condemn it, and I am sure many good people are behind it, but a new nation state emerging is not what I'm hoping for.

That doesn't answer my question. Unless you're advocating an immediate no-state-solution there's spanish nationalism versus catalan nationalism and the question is why you support the former over the latter.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cingulate posted:

Again, I am not saying the sides have the same relationship to the truth and the media. I am saying, yes, categorically speaking, the centre, centre-left, left, and far left all love their own lies and their own fake news.
What I'm trying to get across, is that it's more of a gradient - of course everyone to some degree choose to believe unverifiable stories because they somehow support their views - but the degree to which this happens is pretty important too. Also, please stop lumping everyone not far-right in with each other, makes it way too easy to take each groupings faults and just lump them together to create the image that they as a group are as unreasonable as the far right. The fake news (some parts of) the centre-right (Clinton et al.) believes in is not necessarily the same as what (some parts of) the centre-left (Sanders) believes in, is not the same as what (some parts of) the left or the far left believes in, and definitely not the same as what the cooky "left" (Jill Stein) believes in.

Dawncloack posted:

It's not classical nationalism, since it's not belonging to an ethnic and linguistic tribe, but it is about a feeling of belonging to a tribe and supporting the raw political aims of its elite. So same.
So, patriotism?

cebrail posted:

That doesn't answer my question. Unless you're advocating an immediate no-state-solution there's spanish nationalism versus catalan nationalism and the question is why you support the former over the latter.
A chronic case of status quoism.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Consider the Trump dossier, the, if I remember correctly, origin of the pee tape. Around election day, the entire buzzfeed section of the internet was convinced every word in it was true and it would lead to the removal of Trump. Again, I don't claim numbers are comparable between left and right. I'm saying, numbers are quite significant on the left.

News reports claim 1. Trump actually had the woman and baby removed, 2. was mean spirited about it - without any actual support for these, and in contradiction to what the woman herself said.

Nah, media and the intelligence services got hold of the the Steele dossier before the election, but it was first published much later and after Trump got elected. And the piss story is totally consistent with everything we know about Trump. He and his campaign team have been unbelievably reckless with their communication, meetings and privacy during the campaign. That's just how Trump operates. He is totally inept at everything. Also, we know that he feels great resentment about having being humiliated by Obama, we know about his weird sexual hangups from court testimonies of his ex-wife Marla, etc. Seriously, how is all of this in any way similar to Macedonian white trash people trying to earn $258 a month by making up fantasy stories about made up refugees raping people in made up places? This is not the same league, it's not even the same game. Sorry, but I'm not gonna let that stand. :colbert:

Also, Trump beefed with that baby and in a very annoying tone told them to get the gently caress out. It's a fact, you can watch the video on youtube. Ok, some of the reports might have contained inaccuracies like them being actually thrown out, but again, not the same thing as Macedonian white trash people. Especially since they probably were not intentional and malicious.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Cingulate posted:

To me, supporting the EU is just a stepping stone for a future without borders. It's not a preference for the EU because either 1. it's my tribe, 2. I think it's the best tribe; it's an anti-tribal movement. Support of the EU, to me, is not patriotism, it's almost entirely anti-patriotism.
Without getting on how good or not a tribe the EU is (that's a different, longer debate), I think you are projecting very hard what you want on the EU.

It's cool and I'm with you in wanting a future without borders and such (Except for the free movement of capital, that's bullshit). But I think that you are projecting what you want into the EU, and not checking what the EU actually does. I have found this projection to be true in general of EU nationalists, and of nationalists and patriots of all colors.

But here's the deal: The UN does have the concept of a world without borders, it's called "integration of integrations". I also have a front row seat in a European regional international organization in charge of the integration of integrations. And the EU, a member of the aforementioned organization, has only one position towards that, and it's "hahahaha no".

I can't source what I just said, but what I'd tell EU supporters is, please look at what the EU does, not what it says it does.

Edit: The onus is on you to prove that the UEofE wouldn't just be a big country, but a country just the same. Got any evidence of that? If you do I'm a taker.

VVV Trick question. That's what they are trying to create, a unified state. The whole point of the EU propaganda (Human rights! peace and friendship!) is to create that feeling of belonging. It's a nation in the making. Literally every nation that has ad to become independent has had to create its own national myths and assorted BS. Because of the circumstances, the EU has to do that to become a nation, and not after. But it's the same process.

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 1, 2017

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
How can you have nationalism for something that isn't a nation?

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Dawncloack posted:

VVV Trick question. That's what they are trying to create, a unified state. The whole point of the EU propaganda (Human rights! peace and friendship!) is to create that feeling of belonging. It's a nation in the making. Literally every nation that has ad to become independent has had to create its own national myths and assorted BS. Because of the circumstances, the EU has to do that to become a nation, and not after. But it's the same process.

The EU is a union of *states*. Only states can become EU members. All the important bodies in EU decisionmaking are made up of either state representatives (European Council, Council of Ministers), or of people who, though they work for supranational bodies, still get appointed by member state governments (European Commission, CJEU, ECB). Only the European Parliament is directly elected, but even there, you can vote only for representatives of your own country. The EU Treaties get written by the member states and can only be amended with the unanimous consent of all the member states. So the only way for the EU to become a unified state would be for a majority of the governments in all of the EU member states to suddenly develop a death wish, prepare for the abolition of their own countries and to decide to vote themselves out of existence. I'd say this is a somewhat unlikely state of affairs to come into existence.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Delors, Monti, Verhofstad, Reding and others have called for the United States of Europe. The idea has been there from the beginning, even if, admittedly, it's not maybe the idea of every single Brussels civil servant. To deny that it's one of the big motivations is disingenuous.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Mozi posted:

White nationalism? Ultimately "nationalism" is a term used to describe ethnic-based tribalism; but ethnicity is something fluid, it's an identity, so it's a thing that can apply to more than just "traditional" nations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Don't think too hard about it, nobody does anyway.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

337 people hurt so far, according to the Govern.

The Spanish state has just made Catalan independence virtually inevitable, if not now then certainly at some point in the future.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

337 people hurt so far, according to the Govern.

The Spanish state has just made Catalan independence virtually inevitable, if not now then certainly at some point in the future.

They've been treating Catalonia as occupied territory rather than a part of Spain. It's disgusting.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mozi posted:

Ask a 'German' in 1848. :smug:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

YF-23 posted:

They've been treating Catalonia as occupied territory rather than a part of Spain. It's disgusting.

That's exactly it. They've even reprimanded the Mossos (Catalan police) for not being repressive enough.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

YF-23 posted:

It's a matter of perspective, some amount of violence was inevitable since the beginning. My only hope is that some poor fucker doesn't die in a useless riot somewhere, that would only serve to fan the flames.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

It's a matter of perspective, some amount of violence was inevitable since the beginning. My only hope is that some poor fucker doesn't die in a useless riot somewhere, that would only serve to fan the flames.

I hear someone already had a heart attack during a police charge. He's in critical condition.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Phlegmish posted:

I hear someone already had a heart attack during a police charge. He's in critical condition.

The gooniest protestor.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm against Catalan independence in concept, but it's ridiculous to think that the Spanish government's response here is in any way appropriate.

Why didn't they just instruct anti-independence people to boycott the illegal* referendum and then call the results illegitimate and ignore them entirely?

* I'm not saying the referendum should be illegal, just that it presently is

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation from 1512... but German nationalism didn't exist before 1848... :thunk:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

I'm against Catalan independence in concept, but it's ridiculous to think that the Spanish government's response here is in any way appropriate.

Why didn't they just instruct anti-independence people to boycott the illegal* referendum and then call the results illegitimate and ignore them entirely?

* I'm not saying the referendum should be illegal, just that it presently is

Well, the remain strategy is to boycott already. If the Spanish government had let that slide you'd have a Catalonia that is de facto independent, and the only real way for the Spanish government to then enforce its will would be by force of arms.

The actually not collosally stupid thing to do would be to negotiate a referendum on Catalan independence and then participate in it, trying to make a good case against independence, and then respect that referendum's results. Instead of that they chose to poo poo on Catalonia every time the issue was brought up, and their response in the current situation will diminish the Spanish government's legitimate rule over Catalonia in the eyes of many.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

fishmech posted:

Germany was a nation, just not a state.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Well, the remain strategy is to boycott already. If the Spanish government had let that slide you'd have a Catalonia that is de facto independent, and the only real way for the Spanish government to then enforce its will would be by force of arms.

The actually not collosally stupid thing to do would be to negotiate a referendum on Catalan independence and then participate in it, trying to make a good case against independence, and then respect that referendum's results. Instead of that they chose to poo poo on Catalonia every time the issue was brought up, and their response in the current situation will diminish the Spanish government's legitimate rule over Catalonia in the eyes of many.
We can't all have the political genius of Cameron.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, before this all went down the Spanish government could have still played coy and tried to invalidate the referendum without violence or very least could have established "joint-commission" research the issue and drag it out a decade or two. Now that people are fired up, it has become a huge mess.

The answer is as stated previously, Spain still has some serious authoritarian streaks in it and a key element of authoritarianism is destroying protests with direct force.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Any government which chooses mass repression over the ballot box is illegitimate. The correct course of action is immediate suspension of Spanish membership from all EU bodies until such time as democracy is restored.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
To be able to effectively negotiate something you need both parties to be willing to sit down and discuss the problem, but if one party is entrenched in "the answer is no" and the other sider only answer is "our way or highway", the possibility of a negotiated outcome is murdered before it's even born.

I feel the truth is this whole thing has been a farce of colossal proportions. Sure, all the politicians responsible for this are safe and sound, behind high walls and protected by an army of policemen and lawyers.

But of course, let's put elders and children in the frontlines, they will look more pitiable when over zealous policemen smacks their heads with a boot or a rubber ball, it will only make our cause more just! What a bunch of miserable, power hungry bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

To be able to effectively negotiate something you need both parties to be willing to sit down and discuss the problem, but if one party is entrenched in "the answer is no" and the other sider only answer is "our way or highway", the possibility of a negotiated outcome is murdered before it's even born.

I feel the truth is this whole thing has been a farce of colossal proportions. Sure, all the politicians responsible for this are safe and sound, behind high walls and protected by an army of policemen and lawyers.

But of course, let's put elders and children in the frontlines, they will look more pitiable when over zealous policemen smacks their heads with a boot or a rubber ball, it will only make our cause more just! What a bunch of miserable, power hungry bastards.

You are doing a lot of bad equivocating here. Two things in particular:

First, there's no way to know how the Catalan independentists might have responded to a Spanish-sponsored referendum, because they were never given the chance. Boiling their treatment of this to "our way or the highway" is acting as though the Spanish government offered them a referendum on different terms, and they rejected it. That never happened.

Second, you are saying the political class on both sides is protected. But in the past few weeks, the police have arrested Catalan officials over this. And if Spain has its way it's near-certain that they will face a Spanish justice system that will desperately want to punish them for the referendum. Mariano Rajoy on the other hand is risking nothing if Catalonia does end up becoming independent. His political career will be over, sure, but then he can just retire and have a wank for the rest of his days and not give a poo poo.