Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I mean, we're totally getting Tomb Kings within the next two months or so, I'm not exactly worried about it. I doubt I even have time to play out all the vortex start positions before the DLC race gets added, much less Mortal Empires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

genericnick posted:

Torture elf talk:

Am I using Doombolt wrong or is it really underwhelming?
Do roads in one province stack?
What are you using for late game armies? Earlygame I did all right with Dakshards and Corsairs.

-Doombolt seems best used for fairly squishy single models such as wizards, heroes, or Skaven characters. Against beefier lords and monsters the damage dies seen to be a bit on the low side. That said, having it be pretty much guaranteed to hit can come in very handy in a pinch.

-Roads seem to function on a per-region basis rather than a per-province one for some reason. So they don't stack, since they only affect their own region and don't overlap.

-My high-end armies usually had a melee core of about 8 units of Black Guard and Executioners, with the ratio depending on who they'd fight. Against High Elves and Skaven I'd take relatively more Executioners, against Lizards more Black Guard for the anti-large. Around 4 units of Shades (I used the dual-wield variant, but rarely had them in melee anyhow) and 2 Bolt Throwers make for a powerful ranged contingent. Season with monsters, cav, and characters to taste. Personally I've never managed to get much use out of Cold One (Dread-)Knights, they were usually just too slow and would rampage at the drop of a hat, so I mostly disregarded heavy cavalry and just put in more Hydras and maybe some Dark Riders with repeater crossbows.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Those shipwrecks and mysterious islands are not only a great source of money, they're also a great source of experience for your secondary lords. Previously, my secondary lords used to be relegated to rear-echelon guard duty, warding off potential rebellions or factions pressuring me from a distant flank. The problem was that they wouldn't get much exp doing this; besides crushing rebellions they'd be sitting passively for much of the time.

But with Skaven a lord+full stack of slaves costs virtually nothing and they can ply the seas for treasure and exp, and level up pretty fast in doing so. I love all the goodies hiding out in the ocean!

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Bogarts posted:

I really don't like that they linked upkeep to difficulty. I really liked the old very hard and now I'm struggling to find a fun setting. Its either too difficult because I can barely afford a stack or too easy because the AI doesn't get enough economic bonuses.

:same:

Could set the campaign difficulty to hard and the battle difficulty to very hard, if that helps.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Yeah playing my first game as Teclis on VH and 8 sea boys and his Phoenix/Swordmasters are so expensive having the entire first province is still like 600 short monthly. I can't even go raid or sack for every long because the AI stacks are already too large to fight with this army and the public order penalty from VH means I need my army in the province until I get like T2+ in all 3 and devote entirely to the public order buildings. It's a little over the top, probably going to have to mod in some changes since I like VH's everything else.

I could buy archers/spearman of course but you end up at similar costs to acoomplish much of the same things.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gave Queek a try after Skrolk, Kroq and Mal. God drat he's fun, I made fragile friends with kroq gar by giving him shitloads of cash and repeatedly sacking the rats on my border he was at war with for like 10 turns (still a cheesy way to earn loads of exp too). Then about 3 turns later he betrayed me and attacked a city with walls and a full stack of slaves and a grey seer in there, it was a huge massacre but grey seer magic and free clanrats saved the day as I tarpitted my slaves outside the walls so the towers could slaughter his big units and I sent suicide bomb rats against his towers.

Anyway kroq is now fully exterminated and I own most of the continent. Queek owns because its just pure skaven goodness, none of this pestilens poo poo, just rampaging hordes of slaves backed up by grey seers and a single doomstack of fanatically loyal stormvermin for 20 upkeep each.

I think one of the things I most like about skaven is how expendable everything is, why not just accompany every good stack with a whole stack of slaves?

Also warp lightning cannons and death globes are extreeeemly strong and the doomwheel aint no slouch either if it wants to be.

Here is poor Kroq's last stand, he decided to attack a stack of slaves with only 5 units of chameleon skinks, they were surprisingly effective but There Are Always More Skaven

e: oh also another small thing that owns about skaven, stormvermin, clanrats and slaves all have the same unit size which means I don't feel like I'm missing out on frontage by upgrading unlike Chosen etc

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nopantsjack posted:

Gave Queek a try after Skrolk, Kroq and Mal. God drat he's fun, I made fragile friends with kroq gar by giving him shitloads of cash and repeatedly sacking the rats on my border he was at war with for like 10 turns (still a cheesy way to earn loads of exp too). Then about 3 turns later he betrayed me and attacked a city with walls and a full stack of slaves and a grey seer in there, it was a huge massacre but grey seer magic and free clanrats saved the day as I tarpitted my slaves outside the walls so the towers could slaughter his big units and I sent suicide bomb rats against his towers.

Anyway kroq is now fully exterminated and I own most of the continent. Queek owns because its just pure skaven goodness, none of this pestilens poo poo, just rampaging hordes of slaves backed up by grey seers and a single doomstack of fanatically loyal stormvermin for 20 upkeep each.

I think one of the things I most like about skaven is how expendable everything is, why not just accompany every good stack with a whole stack of slaves?

Also warp lightning cannons and death globes are extreeeemly strong and the doomwheel aint no slouch either if it wants to be.

Here is poor Kroq's last stand, he decided to attack a stack of slaves with only 5 units of chameleon skinks, they were surprisingly effective but There Are Always More Skaven

e: oh also another small thing that owns about skaven, stormvermin, clanrats and slaves all have the same unit size which means I don't feel like I'm missing out on frontage by upgrading unlike Chosen etc

I just wish I could take Queek against Karak Eight Peaks

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Doing Tyrion on legendary and it's definitely the easiest campaign. Seems like enemies can't spawn inside the interior of Ulthuan, so I've taken all of the defensive gates and turtled quite nicely. Outer Ulthuan is a hellscape of Dark Eves and Norscans, but the interior is peachy. Meanwhile, Sea Patrol is busy holding off endless stacks of Skaeling scooby doos in the Straits of Lothern.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
So having done a lightning three campaign tour before going away for a month (Kroq, Tyrion and then Skrolk). I started the first ritual as the plague rats only to have three chaos stacks immediately spawn in the middle of my territory next to my capitol with my two main stacks struggling to waddle back through the jungle in time.

With the previous two campaigns I had a little bit of time to prepare but this immediate finger blast smacks of bug rather than feature. Was this the same for everyone else?

E: this was only on hard because I'm Bad At Games and I owned the starting province, entire province to the SE and 2/3 to the north as the jungle dorfs decided to spread their wings early doors.

Ballbot5000 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 1, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

fuf posted:

If a building like the iron mine says "-25% recruitment cost for Swordsmen" I guess that only applies to the local province rather than faction-wide? Most effects say (faction-wide) or (local province only) afterwards, but others don't.

Those buildings usually are local only.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Oh, Black Arks are ridiculously favored in auto-resolve too. One of them can pretty reliably fight off a full stack of midtier troops if they're upgraded, and adding some extra troops just means that any seaborne battles are auto-wins. Which is good, because if those things die you're out a lot of time/money. It would be really nice if they edited them a little bit so that they could sack and raze (for extra growth) port settlements but not occupy them, though, so you could really get your raid on.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Perestroika posted:

-Doombolt seems best used for fairly squishy single models such as wizards, heroes, or Skaven characters. Against beefier lords and monsters the damage dies seen to be a bit on the low side. That said, having it be pretty much guaranteed to hit can come in very handy in a pinch.

-Roads seem to function on a per-region basis rather than a per-province one for some reason. So they don't stack, since they only affect their own region and don't overlap.

-My high-end armies usually had a melee core of about 8 units of Black Guard and Executioners, with the ratio depending on who they'd fight. Against High Elves and Skaven I'd take relatively more Executioners, against Lizards more Black Guard for the anti-large. Around 4 units of Shades (I used the dual-wield variant, but rarely had them in melee anyhow) and 2 Bolt Throwers make for a powerful ranged contingent. Season with monsters, cav, and characters to taste. Personally I've never managed to get much use out of Cold One (Dread-)Knights, they were usually just too slow and would rampage at the drop of a hat, so I mostly disregarded heavy cavalry and just put in more Hydras and maybe some Dark Riders with repeater crossbows.

Ravenfood posted:

Its pretty underwhelming but its cheap and procs your "while casting" armor debuff that lasts for 15 seconds, so spam that poo poo.

IIRC, no, roads are region-specific for some reason but I'm not sure.

Lategame my armies are a mix of the three top-tier infantry in Black Guard, Executioners, and Witch Elves, with a few Great Weapon Shades and Darkshards for ranged, a single bolt-thrower, and then some mix of heroes and hydras/dragons, with a small number of Cold One Knights on the side.

Thanks. Final question: How bad is the betrayal penalty in game? Seems to me if something sad happened to my 3 city ally the trade routes to my two bigger allies would be free.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Ravenfood posted:

Oh, Black Arks are ridiculously favored in auto-resolve too. One of them can pretty reliably fight off a full stack of midtier troops if they're upgraded, and adding some extra troops just means that any seaborne battles are auto-wins. Which is good, because if those things die you're out a lot of time/money. It would be really nice if they edited them a little bit so that they could sack and raze (for extra growth) port settlements but not occupy them, though, so you could really get your raid on.

The way it works is the the black ark unit itself is counted as a ridiculous super general. You really do have to make sure to garrison it though unless you want to throw away all that growth and money poured into it.

Just wish it didn't count as an additional army and as such increased your upkeep, it makes them so hard to justify using early on very hard. I guess it would be a bit overpowered otherwise but eh.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

genericnick posted:

Thanks. Final question: How bad is the betrayal penalty in game? Seems to me if something sad happened to my 3 city ally the trade routes to my two bigger allies would be free.

If you declare war on an ally without first cancelling all the treaties and waiting a number of turns, you'll get trustworthiness penalties which are essentially a modifier that makes every faction like you less.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kainser posted:

Just wish it didn't count as an additional army and as such increased your upkeep, it makes them so hard to justify using early on very hard. I guess it would be a bit overpowered otherwise but eh.
Yeah, this in particular really hurts later on, because I didn't realize it at first either, which makes its complete lack of ability to launch seaborne invasions, a seaborne piracy stance, or any way of acting independently sting. They're definitely good, but pricy.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

John Charity Spring posted:

If you declare war on an ally without first cancelling all the treaties and waiting a number of turns, you'll get trustworthiness penalties which are essentially a modifier that makes every faction like you less.

it'd be cool/overpowered if skaven/dark elves got a public order bonus for betraying people.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Curses! Bity-Chompy Lizards took over our neighbouring clans! We will show-present the might of Skaven yes yes!

Silly-Stupid toads don't have artillery! Skaven will rout Lizardmen before they even harm-bite us.

Curses! Scaly enemy is quick-fast! Coward vermin flee, warpstone rations will be cut-cut!

Lizards eat rats but there's more rats than teeth-fangs. Courageous Clanrats attack lizards from the rear. Most die but distract lizards to not bite me!

Valiant Queek comes to rescue! Noble-Brave Queek!

Lot's of coward rats get eaten. Lot's of brave rats too so less threats in the end!

Skaven have incredible tactics, too much for cold brained lizard-frogs yes yes. We strike once, we flee and then come back when they not looking!

Lizards too fast-quick for artillery to shoot before reaching us, so we send rats to make them stop. Much easier-simple to shoot when enemy not moving. Some rats get extra dose of warpstone coming from above.

We will turn the world green and fuzzy!

Mighty-Strong win for Mors! Coward-Weak rats get killed, Strong-Brave rats get killed too. But most importantly, cold tailed lizards no match for long tailed Skaven!

Panfilo posted:

When you click on Skaven in ships they say "Ahoy-hoy!" :3:
Skaven are the best thing that ever happened in Total War.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Somebody earlier in the thread said that you could just send a lord out on the water without an army to hoover up all the treasure sites. Upon immediately getting out there, the dark elves attacked with a full stack on the seas and murdered my lord.

Help??? :confused:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Has anyone mentioned yet that the High Elves (or Lothern at least) get a secret third unique lord? Not so secret but it was barely mentioned pre-release. Here he is:

He's got a unique item, a unique trait, several unique skills, and is generally pretty cool.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, apparently he's the result of make-a-wish.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
I think for my next campaign, I'm going to go to the Southlands that everybody says are so boring. This 24/7 Lustrian Thunderdome with wars in every direction is exhausting.

On Turn 100 of a Skaven campaign and about 40-something on a Helf one. Holy poo poo Sea Guard are nice on both ends of a siege. On defense, they don't need to be rotated off the wall, and on offense they can take the wall and then immediately begin firing down on the enemy below.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Kainser posted:

Yeah, apparently he's the result of make-a-wish.

Ah okay. That's nice of them to do, and he's a good lord to have too.

I've been taking a bunch of screenshots in my two campaigns (first Queek, now I'm a halfway through a Tyrion one) and the game is really pretty and fun to watch. Sometimes screenshots don't do it justice but I think some of these are pretty great:

(this next one is my favourite)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
How the hell do you keep public order under control as Malekith? Two torture posts per province?

It's making his early game somewhat nightmarish. Also which Dark Rider variant do people prefer

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

John Charity Spring posted:

Has anyone mentioned yet that the High Elves (or Lothern at least) get a secret third unique lord? Not so secret but it was barely mentioned pre-release. Here he is:

He's got a unique item, a unique trait, several unique skills, and is generally pretty cool.

His in game model is also unique. White Lion Pelt and big old Axe, vs the sword/shield or longbow setup of the normal High Elf Lords.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mukip posted:

Doing Tyrion on legendary and it's definitely the easiest campaign. Seems like enemies can't spawn inside the interior of Ulthuan, so I've taken all of the defensive gates and turtled quite nicely. Outer Ulthuan is a hellscape of Dark Eves and Norscans, but the interior is peachy. Meanwhile, Sea Patrol is busy holding off endless stacks of Skaeling scooby doos in the Straits of Lothern.

It seems to me like armies spawn at fixed locations?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

Which side you talking about? It's different for all of them. You said Tor Anlec so I'm guessing your referring to dark elves here.

Yes, I was talking about dark elves. It's a bit confusing in the campaign map - settlements have a little gold icon indicating special building presence. If you mouse over that, it expands, saying 'important to high elves' or 'dark and high elves' or 'important to lizardmen' or just 'important location, may have unique building chain'. But this info doesn't seem properly fixed to your faction, so I've occupied settlements in Ulthuan thinking they're special and turns out it was only for high elves!

Having great fun as Malekith. Turn 103, Ulthuan is all but finished. I've only done 3 of the 5 rituals but everyone else is behind me (Lothhern was in the lead - it didn't turn out so well for them!)

Figure my endgame once high elves are eradicated is just to spread black arks over the world sacking the cool tropical coastlines, whilst building high-experience elite stacks to crush chaos incursions if I do the rituals.

I just really like the warhammer atmosphere. Taking high elf fortresses by escalade is awesome - you lose a lot of corsairs or executioners rushing the walls, but once the ladders go up, it's all over.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

How the hell do you keep public order under control as Malekith? Two torture posts per province?

It's making his early game somewhat nightmarish. Also which Dark Rider variant do people prefer
You don't. Max slave income, stick a black ark with the bonus to slaves and cash post-fight in range of the rebels, and fight them. Then enslave them after the first fight and execute them after the second. I never built a torture post, but with the blue line bonus to slaves taken, you'll get your economy up quickly. Get a second lord quickly and they'll pay for themselves asap while Malekith goes off and does poo poo.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
How do I get influence with High elves? it's very hard to come by ...

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Oh my god I just attacked two full high tier VC stacks near Nagash's Pyramid. went in expecting a really hard fight... except the battle was a chokepoint fight. Skaven vs VC in a chokepoint was the most hilariously brutal poo poo ever. So much warp lightning.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Skaven combat maps are cool, but the 'smog' effect gives me eyestrain.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

The screaming bell quietly clonks and that's my biggest gripe with the game tbh.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Descar posted:

How do I get influence with High elves? it's very hard to come by ...

Noble agents can each generate 5 inluence a turn once they gain some levels

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
After about 13 hours into playing, I've gotta say that the lack of naval combat really hurts a game that so often incentivizes you to hit the seas. I don't really understand the thinking behind the design. It's not fun to lose a full stack army and their reinforcements because you're forced into autoresolve. It would be different if there was at least a chance to defend yourself. If I lose an army because I placed them poorly and got overwhelmed, that's fine. Hell, I wouldn't have too much of a problem if the autoresolve made sense, but it doesn't. It often tells me I'll lose a fight, and I come out winning handily. Losing a fight I would undoubtedly win just because CA didn't want to add naval combat is just not fun. I don't even know how Skaven players would handle a naval invasion.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, it's the one bum note in the game for me. My end game attackers spawned in the southlands and had to sail to Ulthuan. I basically had to murder then with autoresolve in the straits of Lothern cause the buggers wouldn't come ashore.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I really don't want naval combat but Rome 1-style combat ships as units would be nice

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I understand why they didn't do naval combat since it would be an enormous amount of work, it's not like in previous total war games where you only have to make 6 ships total and then you're done. But yeah, it does hurt the game a bit with so much water on the map.

I appreciate the changes they've made to the autoresolve in this game in general (In the first game it often felt like I was loving myself over by fighting manually but in this one so do I almost always feel like I would get a better result fighting manually) but it makes naval battles super annoying.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Queek players, I'd like your input re: early-midgame army composition:

1) Do you think Stormvermin are necessary that early in the game, or is it fine dropping them for Clanrats to save on upkeep in the meantime?

2) How many Poison Wind Globadiers would you roll with? Are four units overkill?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

toasterwarrior posted:

Queek players, I'd like your input re: early-midgame army composition:

1) Do you think Stormvermin are necessary that early in the game, or is it fine dropping them for Clanrats to save on upkeep in the meantime?

2) How many Poison Wind Globadiers would you roll with? Are four units overkill?

I like having a couple units of Stormvermin early on, you're not going to hurt yourself too much with 1-2 in your army. As for Poison Wind I never had more than 2 in an army and found that even 1 sufficed most of the time unless I was facing an obscene amount of monsters.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Option 1: Take a bunch of +Public Order research options.
Option 2: Accept constant rebellion. Try to stagger them and just farm them for slaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Kainser posted:

I understand why they didn't do naval combat since it would be an enormous amount of work, it's not like in previous total war games where you only have to make 6 ships total and then you're done. But yeah, it does hurt the game a bit with so much water on the map.

I appreciate the changes they've made to the autoresolve in this game in general (In the first game it often felt like I was loving myself over by fighting manually but in this one so do I almost always feel like I would get a better result fighting manually) but it makes naval battles super annoying.

I mean, I get that it would be a ton of work for the devs, but it still hurts the game. I also don't understand why Black Arks can't be used as a floating piece of land to fight battles on the sea. Black Arks are a significant investment, and I would have appreciated any chance to actually defend them.