Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Fojar38 posted:

I was wondering about some of the technical aspects of how this game is run; obviously it doesn't render everything in the galaxy at once because that's impossible, so how does it simulate an open galaxy with stars and whatnot exactly where they're supposed to be surrounding you depending on your position? Is it a series of instances that are generated the moment a player enters? Are the stars and whatnot just some sort of skybox wizardry? Is it actually possible to fly between stars without jumping and going through a disguised load screen if you left the game running for long enough and cheated yourself infinite fuel? Or is there an invisible barrier a billion LS's out?

Series of instances and 90% of space is represented by the Skybox, not by the physics engine.

You can fly between planets in the "world map" mode, and you jump between world maps using the galaxy map. So yeah disguised loading screens ahoy, none of that No Man's Sky advanced technical bullshit just a space game.

Also you can't fly between stars that's confirmed, people have tested and it doesn't let you fly even though it technically says "24 hour flight time," they haven't programmed it in, and obviously they just ban you if you cheat fuel because it's a multiplayer game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Urthor posted:

Also you can't fly between stars that's confirmed, people have tested and it doesn't let you fly even though it technically says "24 hour flight time," they haven't programmed it in, and obviously they just ban you if you cheat fuel because it's a multiplayer game.

iirc you'll cover the distance, it's just that the solar system you're flying to won't actually be there. But then you can do a 0ly jump and the stars and planets will come into view.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

It's just a series of tubes

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Urthor posted:

It lets you fly fine, there's just nothing there at the end because the new system doesn't load in. I'm not sure what the beef is though, why should they waste their time developing a feature that could only successfully be used if you walked away and left the game running on its own for 3 days?

Or to paraphrase Frontier "it could conceivably be done, but we're not going to bother because only insane people would ever loving do it anyway".

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Too, if you wanted to be that insane just realspace fly from point A to point B with FA/Thrusters off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY7E0DEp5yI

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
[quote="“Fojar38”" post="“476936515”"]
I was wondering about some of the technical aspects of how this game is run; obviously it doesn’t render everything in the galaxy at once because that’s impossible, so how does it simulate an open galaxy with stars and whatnot exactly where they’re supposed to be surrounding you depending on your position? Is it a series of instances that are generated the moment a player enters? Are the stars and whatnot just some sort of skybox wizardry? Is it actually possible to fly between stars without jumping and going through a disguised load screen if you left the game running for long enough and cheated yourself infinite fuel? Or is there an invisible barrier a billion LS’s out?
[/quote]

The skybox is calculated based on your position. The stars and planets are generated when you load into a system. You cannot fly from one system to another in SC.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
I like the new feature where security vessels will come and park in front of your recently-boosted space colossus, so you will have no choice but to hit them and gain a reckless flying fine.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

WebDog posted:

You don't need to level up on rep for Rhea/LQ runs as even neutrals will drop six million offers to haul some people next door after a bit of board scrubbing.
People are hammering this hard tho as the mission board is flaking out.

Yeah but I also want Fed Rank from it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Is the new patch good? I kind of hit a wall with this game where I can't be bothered with it anymore but I'll give it a go if the new poo poo is cool.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

marktheando posted:

Is the new patch good? I kind of hit a wall with this game where I can't be bothered with it anymore but I'll give it a go if the new poo poo is cool.

Yeah, I wanna know this as well. Also if there's a collection of what we know about Thargoids, that'd be cool too

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

tooterfish posted:

It lets you fly fine, there's just nothing there at the end because the new system doesn't load in. I'm not sure what the beef is though, why should they waste their time developing a feature that could only successfully be used if you walked away and left the game running on its own for 3 days?

Or to paraphrase Frontier "it could conceivably be done, but we're not going to bother because only insane people would ever loving do it anyway".

Proxima Centauri is only 4ĽLY from Sol. That's only like 5 times as long as it is from Alpha Centauri to Hutton Orbital.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sane people don't fly to Hutton Orbital.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ah I found some patch notes, the latest one (1.07 on PS4) doesn't do much. I thought there was a big update due, guess it hasn't arrived yet.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Being able to choose a destination star in a multi-star system would be an actual good feature.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The Protagonist posted:

Being able to choose a destination star in a multi-star system would be an actual good feature.

I couldn't agree more if I tried. Whether it's selecting the destination star before high-waking in or being able to micro-jump between stars in a system, it would be greatly appreciated.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The Protagonist posted:

There are lots of reasons I find myself still liking the Frog community built up around it and the idea of Elite but not actually playing the game anymore after hundreds (maybe even passed 1000?) of hours. But some of them highlight a whole heap of problems with the game, and this is one of them.
Why can't you? Either Frontier agrees with grognards based on some hosed up 'back in MY day' sort of idea or can't be bothered and both of them make Elite the spacegame not for me. And the grind too but everyone bitches about that :v:
I don't think anyone at Frontier knows what they are doing besides the sound team.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I swear I've seen Frontier devs react positively to the idea of inter-system jumps.

Not the grogs though. The distance the Hutton Orbital is what makes it special, apparently.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

KakerMix posted:

There are lots of reasons I find myself still liking the Frog community built up around it and the idea of Elite but not actually playing the game anymore after hundreds (maybe even passed 1000?) of hours. But some of them highlight a whole heap of problems with the game, and this is one of them.
Why can't you? Either Frontier agrees with grognards based on some hosed up 'back in MY day' sort of idea or can't be bothered and both of them make Elite the spacegame not for me. And the grind too but everyone bitches about that :v:
I don't think anyone at Frontier knows what they are doing besides the sound team.

And the graphics team. And the flight model team. They deserve credit for those, everything else aside.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

DreadLlama posted:

Proxima Centauri is only 4ĽLY from Sol. That's only like 5 times as long as it is from Alpha Centauri to Hutton Orbital.
21 times, no? I thought AC to Hutton was 0.22ly?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Has anyone had any weird probability with mining since the patch? I was in a pristine metallic and burned through about 80 prospectors with 0 platinum or painite and very small amounts of palladium.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Groggy nard posted:

And the graphics team. And the flight model team. They deserve credit for those, everything else aside.

The graphics and art assets certainly are fab but there isnt the crispness of say star citizen (guess elites the older game*). It would be neat to be able to turn down the opacity of the canopy and make things a bit brighter near stars too. Especially on planets up close

*star citizen not a game

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Star Citizen can barely maintain double digit fps on top of the line machines, who gives a gently caress how "crisp" it is.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

tooterfish posted:

Star Citizen can barely maintain double digit fps on top of the line machines, who gives a gently caress how "crisp" it is.

I thought they stopped using Cryengine?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Nope

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Now they're using the Amazon branded version, Lumberyard or some poo poo.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

What's hosed up is that Cryengine 3 scaled really well and looked gorgeous even on low end machines, because Crytek was chasing that console money.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

General Battuta posted:

What's hosed up is that Cryengine 3 scaled really well and looked gorgeous even on low end machines, because Crytek was chasing that console money.

CIG, in all its wisdom, decided to skip over to the beta branch of Lumberyard (Amazon's off-brand Cryengine) at a point before any of Amazon's own upgrades (so it's still the exact same engine underneath, but with some license-required AWS hooks built into the deal), and to then proceed to shove pointlessly huge and complex assets down the pipeline because Chris Roberts doesn't believe in cheats like LoD and shaders. It's the Daikatana school of game development.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 1, 2017

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Chris Roberts, doing less with more since 1990!

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

KakerMix posted:

I have come to realize I don't like elite as a game, I like the concept of the game elite is trying to be. Elite has all the core mechanics of an amazing game.... completely hobbled by designers who think grind and obfuscation is gameplay.

Now the only fun I have in elite is making the grognards that ruined the game angry.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Speaking of grind, get your 'condas down to Rhea for that sweet sweet easy CR before Frontier smashes it tomorrow.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

TopHatGenius posted:

Speaking of grind, get your 'condas down to Rhea for that sweet sweet easy CR before Frontier smashes it tomorrow.

This poo poo is real. It can be a little frustrating board flipping for tourists to fill all the slots, especially when the mission server keeps crapping out under the load, but I managed to make over 180 million credits in just three trips yesterday.

Edit: Did I say a little frustrating? I meant "incredibly." I am currently unable to access the mission board AT ALL in Solo Play.

Valcione fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 2, 2017

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I really hate the whole concept of having to flip the mission board, it feels so dirty. I just have no confidence in FDev to find an elegant solution.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
That the game becomes chasing down what Frontier considers exploits will never not be hilarious to me. How can you pretend to be a spaceman when everyone is doing these hosed-up rain dances to trick the game into giving you more money? "Board flipping" shouldn't even be in the vernacular at all let alone the thing you do every patch before Frontier fixes it.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

KakerMix posted:

That the game becomes chasing down what Frontier considers exploits will never not be hilarious to me. How can you pretend to be a spaceman when everyone is doing these hosed-up rain dances to trick the game into giving you more money? "Board flipping" shouldn't even be in the vernacular at all let alone the thing you do every patch before Frontier fixes it.

Well, maybe the game should be a tiny bit more accessible then.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

This Rhea passenger exploit might just be fake news, I'm only seeing make 200k a head missions for passengers, which is good profit but not ABSURD profit available. Which is interesting.

It is however, upping my rep with the feds like crazy, loads of donation missions, so Corvette dream might be in session. Pity there isn't an actual game to fly said Corvette in but oh well.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
The real money is in the transport missions where you can stack dozens of people in economy cabins. Unfortunately, I only seem to be getting like 2 missions per board with over 16 passengers. The rest are all VIP missions in the 1-3 million range that take up entire cabins for 3-6 people.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Wifi Toilet posted:

The real money is in the transport missions where you can stack dozens of people in economy cabins. Unfortunately, I only seem to be getting like 2 missions per board with over 16 passengers. The rest are all VIP missions in the 1-3 million range that take up entire cabins for 3-6 people.

Yeah this. Apparently if you get allied on everything the returns go way, way up, but that's a struggle in of itself so yeah.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I think that the recent patch has kinda broke me and prompted me to uninstall the game.

Elite's got two really troublesome issues, which kinda feed into each other:

Firstly the progression is broken. Don't get me wrong: the initial progression from your stock Sidewinder to about the point where you can have an A-rated Vulture and Asp Explorer is great, however then next genuinely significant step up is either to an FDL or a Python (depending whether you're wanting pure combat or to do missions), which costs megabucks, and ties in with the second problem.

The second problem is that beyond a certain point (around about the point where you're rich enough to fly a Vulture or ASP-X), both the available rewards from missions and the risk/reward ratio from certain missions seize up and the grind begins. Actually getting from a Vulture to a decently-fitted FDL means that you need to make roughly 8* the money it took you to afford that vulture in the first place (Source: the $12M cost of my vulture loadout vs the $94M cost of my FDL). I can grind out Anacondas, but they pay out about $200,000 bounty (as opposed to the $600,000 rebuy should one of them manage to pop me), meaning that I need to kill 410 of the largest ship in the game, assuming that I play perfectly and am never killed, in order to close that gap. Then when I finally get the FDL, if I ever die in it I'm back to having to (again, perfectly without losing my ship once) kill 23 Anacondas in order to recoup a single rebuy.

Then there's the problem of everything else outside of combat, i.e. missions that require you to move from point to point (space truckin'/passenger shipping/exploration) and mining. Profit/minute from the mining loop is woeful, profit from trading is generally inferior to profit from taking delivery missions which is still a fairly low dollar amount per trip, and passenger missions are pretty much the only tolerable ones because if you take sightseeing missions at least you sometimes see a particularly pretty system or get caught up on some lore.

So in a game where the #1 measure of progression is your ability to make money, the economy is completely broken beyond a certain point, you tend not to dare to go out in your more expensive ships because losing one can literally require hours worth of optimized money-making to recoup the rebuy, and the game becomes this meta experience where instead of doing something enjoyable you look around on reddit for whichever completely broken game mechanic allows you to exploit a temporary opportunity to make megabucks before the devs squash it, and then you do the exact same mission type in the exact same way over and over and over again so that you can afford to buy a bigger ship that you'll never be able to afford to use on missions anyway because if you get killed in it you'll literally have to spend days recouping your losses. I got myself an Anaconda after exploiting the skimmer kill mission stacking bug a few months ago, and I never use the thing because anything I choose to do in it can generally be done almost as well in a smaller ship but without the enormous risk of eating a $22,000,000 rebuy. Even taking my Python out means that an errant shot that accidentally hits a system security ship and gets me dogpiled will put my progress back by a solid day's play.

And now 2.4 has dropped, and the only major things to come with it are a better route plotting system (which is nice and all, but taking big trips into the galactic core is the main upside and honestly when the optimal playing conditions for something interactive is 'have another monitor playing something actually engaging like a tv show while you repetitively jump and honk' I question the point of the game in the first instance), and shootable aliens. Only the shootable aliens are massive raid bosses that pretty much need a wing of max-spec Assault ships to take out, and as such will give you the princely sum of $2M if you destroy it.

I love the game's aesthetics, I love the flight mechanics, I think the underlying technology behind the galaxy generation is amazing, and I absolutely got my money's worth out of dozens of hours of play, but when you've finally been able to afford everything you've ever wanted ship-wise and yet there's no point in actually using it anymore (and indeed significant downsides to doing so), it's impossible to give a crap. Part of me wants to start a new game right from the beginning and experience the frankly great-feeling progression that you get from starting out in your Sidewinder, but of course I can only play one commander per copy of the game so going back to that state requires me to permanently lose everything I've done in the game, and if I do that I lose the one-in-a-million-roll engineered jump drive for my DB-X that's literally within 0.1 LY of being the highest mathematically possible roll, and I lose my elite status which I had to play for hours to get, so why bother?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

You're not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Urthor posted:

Yeah this. Apparently if you get allied on everything the returns go way, way up, but that's a struggle in of itself so yeah.
I got there reasonably quick by stacking VIP passengers, which still net a nice 1 - 3 million but at the cost of taking up a whole cabin. You also can do donation missions. But I get the feeling the party is over, I'm not getting any bulk passenger missions.

But yeah the game progression goes off a cliff. No doubt the game is at the point where people have billions to throw around with nothing much else to do. I get the feeling Frontier is slowly realising the brown sea isn't the best group to take feedback from and the game has sloooowly become less vague with messages informing you of what you've just done.

• Locked thread