Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm the
Crazy One
Badass Princess
Unstable
Leader
#Sassy #NoFilter
Eale Eye
Macho Man
Explosive Head
View Results

• Locked thread
DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

This is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I wish that was in the actual game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

meat police posted:

I wish that was in the actual game.

Knowing that the animation exists but is NOT in the game unfortunately has knocked Mario XCOM out of my GOTY spot.

Welcome back to the top spot, Neo Turf Masters

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is that animation supposed to be a reference to something? I don't get it.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I took a few days off and completely lost my groove. 3-1 is smashing me some how, even with multiple roster changes.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

RCarr posted:

Is that animation supposed to be a reference to something? I don't get it.

Fighting evil by daylight,
Taking selfies by moonlight,
Never running from a real fight,
She is the one called Rabbid Peach.

Only 90s kids, etc...

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Luigi is actually bad and very map dependent. He's a glass cannon and if you have to deal with either multiple fights in the chapter or close quarter maps and you don't get to keep control/overpower the enemy right away, he's going to get killed. He's mostly useless against the beach ghost stages of world 3.

On big maps he's great, though.

He works better on big maps, but he's still extremely good on smaller ones because he has some of the best mobility (Double Jump + one of the highest upgradable movement zone in the game), an extremely good weapon/combo set (long-range high-damaging primary, high-damaging secondary that can also act as a decoy), has one of the big three status effects (Ink), and has a far-reaching Overwatch due to his primary weapon being long-range with a rather low cooldown and with multiple hits to it, and an ability that helps himself and others with mobility (notably, I've used it at times to actually get Mario into good positions or to get to advantageous positions that are juuuuuust out of his reach). So not only is he a glass cannon, but he can position himself extremely well, maybe help others do the same as well. He's probably one of the "big three" in this game that fit absurdly well on many teams and on many maps (along with Rabbid Luigi and Rabbid Mario) and part of that is because he's min-maxed to the extreme and does his role incredibly well.

Though in general, I find even the worst characters in this game to be good (and at the very least useful). It's just that the best of them are the least useless to take along with you.

EDIT:

Oh. My. GOD! This being in the game would have made it GOAT! :magical:

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 21, 2017

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Beelzebozo posted:

I literally don’t remember anyone at all saying this anywhere in this thread. We’ve all been saying he’s the best character since the beginning.
Looking back, the person I spoke to about Luigi in this thread was just saying they had to swap him out since he was starting to "show his weaknesses," so it looks like I exaggerated what he said from memory.

Anyways I wouldn't call any character in the game bad, there's just some that are more absolutely bonkers at killing everything than others. Towards the end of the game I rarely used Peach since her overwatch gives her a tendency to over-enthusiastically execute her teammates with her shotgun and her healing is very piddly, but even then she's a major power house with her shotgun if you get her in close.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Theta Zero posted:

Looking back, the person I spoke to about Luigi in this thread was just saying they had to swap him out since he was starting to "show his weaknesses," so it looks like I exaggerated what he said from memory.

He totally gets used a little bit less in world 3 because his overwatch ability doesn't do anything to the ghosts, which there are a lot of. And the Valkyries put out a loving TON of damage so I found that I wanted something a bit beefier in my third slot.

However when it came time to come back and do the challenges, I went back to the tried and true Mario, Rabbid Mario, Luigi combo because they straight up break almost all of the challenges

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I can’t believe this is so hard to Google, but is there any way to switch the starting position of your party members on a map? I get that Mario might be locked in a “team leader” starring position, but I can’t figure out if or how I can swap the other two.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

mancalamania posted:

I can’t believe this is so hard to Google, but is there any way to switch the starting position of your party members on a map? I get that Mario might be locked in a “team leader” starring position, but I can’t figure out if or how I can swap the other two.

There's no official way to do it. I did some testing myself by swapping out dudes and I found that

1) Swapping a dude for another dude seems to put new dude in the same position as the old.
2) If you quit and restart the mission, the placement of your three dudes seems to be randomized to some extent

I did not ever try:
Take dude A, swap him for dude B.
Then swap dude C for dude A.
If you still want dude C, try putting him in for B.

This might work. If not, quit and restart a few times until you get the placement you want.

Or just roll with it, because all that is too much drat work.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
As nice as it would be to choose starting placement I don't think it's ever been an issue just riding out the first turn with where your guys are at

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
It wasn’t a big issue for a while, but some of those 1-turn challenges would be a lot easier if I had the right team members in the right spot.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mancalamania posted:

It wasn’t a big issue for a while, but some of those 1-turn challenges would be a lot easier if I had the right team members in the right spot.

They would probably be pitifully easy. I'm sure the developers thought about it.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

mancalamania posted:

? they are made to be done within the turn of where your guys are. its fool-proof and if its tough thats all on you

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

bef posted:

? they are made to be done within the turn of where your guys are. its fool-proof and if its tough thats all on you

Okay then maybe I’m missing a mechanic then because how can you do challenge 1-3 without having a 8-space movement character in the middle position for Mario to jump on (or, alternatively, a 7-space character with Mario also having 7-space movement). I know I can change the skill trees to make the other characters have more movement, but why do I have to do that when I already have a 7-space Luigi with itchy feet stuck on the other side of the river?

Also if the starting placement is essentially randomized between the 3 party members like the poster above was saying, that seems to contradict the claim that the developers accounted for the starting positions went designing the map and a particular starting formation would trivialize the map.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

mancalamania posted:

Okay then maybe I’m missing a mechanic then because how can you do challenge 1-3 without having a 8-space movement character in the middle position for Mario to jump on (or, alternatively, a 7-space character with Mario also having 7-space movement). I know I can change the skill trees to make the other characters have more movement, but why do I have to do that when I already have a 7-space Luigi with itchy feet stuck on the other side of the river?

Also if the starting placement is essentially randomized between the 3 party members like the poster above was saying, that seems to contradict the claim that the developers accounted for the starting positions went designing the map and a particular starting formation would trivialize the map.

There are other ways to be moved around ;)

Also it's not randomized that much. Luigi, Peach and Yoshi for instance will always be placed in the #3 spot no matter what. When it comes to a team of 2 Rabbids, think Rabbid Peach will always be #2, as will Rabbid Luigi if paired with anyone else besides Rabbid Peach (in which case he'll be #3). If you have Rabbid Luigi and Rabbid Mario, RMario will always be #3. I'm unsure about Rabbid Yoshi, I assume he'll always be #3, and Rabbid Mario would be moved down to #2 if they are paired together. But I haven't ever done that combo

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 21, 2017

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
When a challenge says "100% super effect" in the rules, it's a cue that you'll need to get your characters bounced by a smasher

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Okay I figured it out now, thanks. I'm a dope and thought: (1) super effects 100% meant MY super effects were 100%'d not the enemies, (2) that the challenge ended at the end of MY turn and not the enemy's.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Probably a price mistake but this is showing up for only $30 at Best Buy right now. You should be able to get it with in store pick up.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/mario-rabbids-kingdom-battle-nintendo-switch/5909500.p?skuId=5909500

EDIT: Seems to be unavailable now.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 22, 2017

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Y'know. Of all the playable characters, I think Luigi and the Rabbid versions of Mario and Luigi are the best characters in the game. Their advantages are extreely good and works well in a lot of situations, their weaknesses can be made into a non-issue if you know what you're doing, they get access to at least one of the big three status effects, and their primary/secondary weapon combinations work out extremely well for them in their given roles, and of course their skills syenergize well with both their own abilities and the abilities of others.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I definitely feel like The Rabbid Bros fit good niches and are solid choices. Peach is fantastic in her way and her counterpart, whose damage has tempered off in my game is fine.

I just got R. Yoshi and he's bad? Seriously I can't figure out what to do with him that's of any use to anyone except perhaps making smashers a non-issue. Also that weapon seems wildly weak. I hope Yoshi proves more interesting/better.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
This game is just fantastic and I hope they make another one

The rabbids are charming and the game has that paper mario vibe

I've been using Rabbid Peach the entire time because...how can you not?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

DalaranJ posted:

Fighting evil by daylight,
Taking selfies by moonlight,
Never running from a real fight,
She is the one called Rabbid Peach.

Only 90s kids, etc...

I'm a 90s kid and I still don't get it...

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

I think it's Sailor Moon, based off the movement. I've never heard the song before so idk.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Silver Falcon posted:

Not 90s enough, my man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qImUihjYZA0

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I definitely feel like The Rabbid Bros fit good niches and are solid choices. Peach is fantastic in her way and her counterpart, whose damage has tempered off in my game is fine.

I just got R. Yoshi and he's bad? Seriously I can't figure out what to do with him that's of any use to anyone except perhaps making smashers a non-issue. Also that weapon seems wildly weak. I hope Yoshi proves more interesting/better.

I think Peach might be one of the worst characters myself, though I should note that "worst" in this case simply means "is great/awesome in a couple situations/teams/maps, otherwise is just good".

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The way I see it is that Peach is a fantastic team player, but she cannot go solo into a fight the way the Rabbids can (excluding R. Yoshi who, again what is is deal?)

It's why she pairs so well with Mario because to get the most out of him you need someone he can jump off of. The enemy just crumples as you advance them together flipping through the air through a main front and you let your self-sustainable rabbid wreak havoc from the flank. The only real pity is you can't have more than 2 Mario characters because there have been times I would've liked to have Luigi's sniping in the mix.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I really do wish your party was fully customizable. Being stuck with Mario and at least 1 Rabbid puts a damper on things.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I really do wish your party was fully customizable. Being stuck with Mario and at least 1 Rabbid puts a damper on things.

That was the most refreshing thing about the co-op missions

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Halfway through world 4 and the only time I've used anyone besides Luigi and the Rabbid Bros I was just intentionally trying to mix it up.

Rabbid Peach is OK but healing is way less desirable than just being able to kill dudes faster, plus Vampire exists. Grenaducks seem like trash.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yeah I just take advantage of Vampire and Honey all over the place to make it so I can pretty much just tee-off on high-health enemies for healing.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If anything, I just want the ultimate weapons to have the other elemental effect. I don't want a shotgun with vamp, I want a shotgun with stone, and a hammer with vamp!

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Tender Bender posted:

Rabbid Peach is OK but healing is way less desirable than just being able to kill dudes faster

Once you start facing the endgame challenges you realize that R.Peach isn't about healing as much as she's about having a second sentry. Remote AOE is pretty much essential to mob control in the hardest scenarios (R.Mario melee AOE just gets murdered instantly).

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Arby's has been doing an ad campaign where they reference video games using Arby's packaging and food. They referenced Rabbids recently:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Beelzebozo posted:

Once you start facing the endgame challenges you realize that R.Peach isn't about healing as much as she's about having a second sentry. Remote AOE is pretty much essential to mob control in the hardest scenarios (R.Mario melee AOE just gets murdered instantly).

That makes sense. Do grenaducks ever become good? I can't see many situations where they're more useful than either rockets or sentries.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tender Bender posted:

That makes sense. Do grenaducks ever become good? I can't see many situations where they're more useful than either rockets or sentries.

They can arc over cover which is situationally useful.

They're basically the Blasters of the secondary weapon though.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Hebug posted:

This Bowser Jr midboss battle without anybody dying is hard.

This is where I've hit my first wall. I've managed to perfect every other level after 1 or 2 tries tops, but I'm having trouble gauging distance here for whatever reason. The fact that he can attract you and then hit you, every turn at that, is what keeps messing me up.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Oh my god, running through the worlds again to find the challenges and use Beepo's new abilities is such a loving slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Oh my god, running through the worlds again to find the challenges and use Beepo's new abilities is such a loving slog.

I had fun with it in the first two worlds, but the third world was such a pain to navigate because of all the branching paths and loops and everything looking the same. I ended up missing two chests there where they will stay un-found for the rest of my life.

This game is really great by the way. I like how even the "supa hard" challenges are actually doable without spending hours minmaxing skill trees and planning out a turn-perfect strategy.

• Locked thread