Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

I don't know who you are, and I have no reason to believe that you and I had such a discussion. It must be the voices in your head again. You know, the same ones that have you committing those ludicrous thoughts to fingers in your endless search for relevance in a dead gay comedy forum. :allears:

My position has always been the same because that's usually what happens when you believe in something. And since I have kept making the games EXACTLY how I want to make them, and those who keep buying them don't seem to mind either way, everything else is noise, and largely irrelevant. I didn't set out to make games to appeal to the masses. I make them for a specific niche audience who don't complain about it. Everyone else can gently caress right off.

If someone's hangup about a loving game is that the ESC key does something else, and they even didn't bother to look at the key commands to see that 1) they are mapped differently 2) they can change it in the game options, that's the sort of people who have no business playing the game anyway. And you wouldn't find them playing any DCS flight sim- or any "sim" game anyway, because guess what? That's the nature of the beast.

As if a game with a 100+ page manual, 4 pages of key commands, and a 100 page tutorial isn't a sign that there's nothing normal or conventional about it. But what do I know?

How is your "game" coming along btw? I would love to play it.

Nobody buys your games anymore. They only bought them earlier because you're as much of a dreams peddler as CR, which is why you hate him so much — you're jealous of his crowdfunding success and wish you had thought of it.

What's sad is that, no, nobody would be backing you if the roles were reversed. People can at least truthfully say they had fun playing Wing Commander and Freelancer. Nobody has ever said that about anything you've ever created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
I especially like the "update drivers" bullshit. Like AMD just pushed out a patch for a 15 year old game on their cards.

gently caress off outta here with that bullshit

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Beet please quote, tia

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
like derek we already had a conversation about our old conversation earlier this year cuz I was all

TheAgent posted:

derek gonna derek, he's been that way since I argued that overloading players with obtuse mechanics was stupid and he told me my IQ was subnormal and unfit for PC gaming (seriously)

D_Smart posted:

wait! wot!? I don't remember that. I would normally remember that. :grin:
and I was like

TheAgent posted:

it was about 20 years ago, I doubt you remember everyone you sparred with across message boards
and it was fine and I don't think you accused me of whatever it is you're accusing me of

I'm sorry you still, after all this time, can't take simple criticisms of your games or ideas. I'm happy that you've found a niche and that some people enjoy your games, I find them very, very hard to get into or play

that's just my opinion, you can continue telling me to gently caress off

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

I don't know who you are, and I have no reason to believe that you and I had such a discussion. It must be the voices in your head again. You know, the same ones that have you committing those ludicrous thoughts to fingers in your endless search for relevance in a dead gay comedy forum. :allears:

You are loving retarded.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Reading all that poo poo I wonder where so many posters here found the patience to act friendly with Derek Smart for so long
What an embarrassing old clown

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Just imagine, if SC is released and Chris is a goon, we'll be having these kinds of tedious space game discussions, only without all the sidetracking on ways to run a business, efficient file storage, effective game development, furniture prices, secret stash of pictures of newswoman, liveposting of awkward presentations, thousands of delusional Redditor posts, lazy tracings, constant reminders to call your old relatives, a partridge in a pear tree, hilarious space court memes, glitch logs, graphs of money, and fetishistic art.

Thank god SC is never released.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

If Derek wants to claim to be a Goon, he has to face the crucible, just like all of us, at the drop of a hat, whenever any weakness or fault is spotted.

It's always fun times.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

like derek we already had a conversation about our old conversation earlier this year cuz I was all

and I was like

quote:

TheAgent posted:

it was about 20 years ago, I doubt you remember everyone you sparred with across message boards

and it was fine and I don't think you accused me of whatever it is you're accusing me of

I'm sorry you still, after all this time, can't take simple criticisms of your games or ideas. I'm happy that you've found a niche and that some people enjoy your games, I find them very, very hard to get into or play

that's just my opinion, you can continue telling me to gently caress off

As you can see, my comment regarding your historical mental gymnastics, remains consistent.

And since reading comprehension is a skill that takes some time to learn and master, here, let me repost what I stated, so you can show me where I told you to "gently caress off". I'll wait. :colbert:

quote:

My position has always been the same because that's usually what happens when you believe in something. And since I have kept making the games EXACTLY how I want to make them, and those who keep buying them don't seem to mind either way, everything else is noise, and largely irrelevant. I didn't set out to make games to appeal to the masses. I make them for a specific niche audience who don't complain about it. Everyone else can gently caress right off.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think you just quoted it for me

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Last three words, dipshit

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
:lol:

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer
This is about to turn into one of those self owns he inexplicably keeps bragging about.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Ayn Marx posted:

Reading all that poo poo I wonder where so many posters here found the patience to act friendly with Derek Smart for so long
What an embarrassing old clown

I like Derek, he's great, but needs more chill.

Swim the moat Derek, you can make it! Don't pull a Branson.

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe
Derek could redeem himself in 5 seconds by just loving writing a paragraph about what exactly the ELE is. But he won't.

Because autism speaks, it always speaks, first, in self referential loops.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Does anyone else smell burnt toast?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Derek doesn't have enough Internet Tough Guy in him to pull off a Branson IMO. I mean poo poo, I can't ever imagine that guy being cool enough to beat up a coke machine.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am excited

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
man I'm going to go to bed and wake up to 3,000 new posts, aren't I

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

never sleep, always post

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I thought I smelled a good old-fashioned dogpile when I woke up. Who could have guessed it would be in the Star Citizen thread?

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

BloodyScab posted:

Derek could redeem himself in 5 seconds by just loving writing a paragraph about what exactly the ELE is. But he won't.

Because autism speaks, it always speaks, first, in self referential loops.

Maybe the ELE was the friends we made along the way. Or maybe it's just fartgas.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

You can ignore them. Derek will own himself a few more times, he'll put a bunch of people on ignore then still read their posts, CIG will gently caress up something minor and more ELE predictions will be made, and the cycle will repeat.

Come back about a week before Citcon.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Variable 5 posted:

You can ignore them. Derek will own himself a few more times, he'll put a bunch of people on ignore then still read their posts, CIG will gently caress up something minor and more ELE predictions will be made, and the cycle will repeat.

Come back about a week before Citcon.

that first part is the fun part though

like that time he demanded people stop posting about ryan archer in his thread or he'd stop posting :allears:

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

D_Smart posted:

You're the one making the point, so the onus is on you, not me.

So you can't actually find any, because you're so wrong it hurts. Figures.

http://bfy.tw/EEWh

D_Smart posted:

Actually no, it's not. That's why you can remap such keys.

Convention being the DEFAULT of what it's set to, not "this is what it always will be, even if the player decides to change it". WASD is a convention. It doesn't mean the player can't rebind their movement keys to something else, but it stands to reason that someone playing a game is going to try to use WASD for movement if using the keyboard unless another control scheme is explicitly presented to them. No, this doesn't include them having to read your loving manual, Derek. The 1990's were almost two decades ago.

It's so common it's also a percieved affordance, Derek. Another loving basic tenet of modern game design. This thread is full of people telling you that a person playing a PC game has an expectation that when they hit ESC, most commonly any of three things will happen:

1. It will move "backwards" through a menu selection / close a dialogue box(es)
2. It will pause the game
3. It will bring up a main menu allowing the user to quit, or instructing them on how to do so.

Funnily enough, it's also what a basic Google search will tell you. Don't worry, I provided one earlier. I wonder why that is. I wonder why no other game uses the ESC key to bring up squad commands. It's like taking the 3.5" floppy icon and saying "no that doesn't save in ~~my application~~, it actually brings up the help menu, maybe you should have read the manual instead of calling my software an unusable piece of poo poo"

You are a terrible UX / UI designer, Derek. Just own it.

D_Smart posted:

Ah yes, the significant of a man caught on the rear end-end of a losing argument is to resort to personal attacks. :allears:

loving lol that you resort to "ad hominem! ad hominem!" when every second word that comes out of your mouth is "Shitizens", "Retards" or "rear end-clowns". You are a poster child for dunning-Kruger.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

I thought I smelled a good old-fashioned dogpile when I woke up. Who could have guessed it would be in the Star Citizen thread?
I thought the titanic was pretty fair with her review of UC. it's her own user experience and was pretty nice to derek overall

I've always disliked complicated control schemes when they could be simplified down. like a good rule is if a real life space shuttle has more intuitive controls than your game, maybe you need to rethink the controls

I have an old copy of BC3000 and have bought several derek smart games for people here (and myself). I don't really like them, but maybe, as derek said, they are more for the high level sim crowd than the more casual dude like myself (although I can tell you BC3000 was not marketed as a sim game. I'm sure that was more on the publisher than on derek, however)

whatever else derek is posting about, I got no idea

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am currently pressing escape to quit the thread but nothing is happening maybe Derek is right once more

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Arguing with Derek about game design isn't worth it because he designs them for himself, even if they're for sale. It's the templeos of games.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

That's cause you let Kayak sleep on the bed.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Never happened. Nice try.

Only because official Steam admins had to step in and unban them doesn't mean it never happened, Derek. Someone said LoD needs a FOV slider, you said you don't care about a FOV slider. More people jumped on the "we need a FOV slider"-opinion, you closed the topic. The guy asking the question opened another thread with exactly the same question, asking why it the original question was simply closed. You said implementing a FOV slider is too hard, and the discussion got heated. You banned him, people got angry. Steam mods stepped in and unbanned him. Days or weeks later (can't remember actually) you acknowledged that a FOV slider is a good thing.

Derek, you might be the ultimate warlord of ze internets, but at least stick to the truth and to what you do. Or do you hit the ban-button so often that you can't remember each incident?

And no, it was not me asking that question, I was just an amused bystander looking at it for lols, as the Gamestar-guy you hate (who is a dick, to be honest) posted exactly this example all over the internet to show how you treat criticism of an early alpha.

Just stick to what you did, it won't change how goons perceive you (lol)

Or boost some signals or poo poo

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

peter gabriel posted:

I am currently pressing escape to quit the thread but nothing is happening maybe Derek is right once more

No exit, friend.

This is a great distraction from my mother in law's visit, though.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If you think there is a chance Derek will say 'Oh wow I never thought of *insert anything at all here* like that! Thank you, I have revised my opinion and will update my PDFs' then carry on typing at him

Edit: A proud catte

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

Only because official Steam admins had to step in and unban them doesn't mean it never happened, Derek. Someone said LoD needs a FOV slider, you said you don't care about a FOV slider. More people jumped on the "we need a FOV slider"-opinion, you closed the topic. The guy asking the question opened another thread with exactly the same question, asking why it the original question was simply closed. You said implementing a FOV slider is too hard, and the discussion got heated. You banned him, people got angry. Steam mods stepped in and unbanned him. Days or weeks later (can't remember actually) you acknowledged that a FOV slider is a good thing.

Derek, you might be the ultimate warlord of ze internets, but at least stick to the truth and to what you do. Or do you hit the ban-button so often that you can't remember each incident?

And no, it was not me asking that question, I was just an amused bystander looking at it for lols, as the Gamestar-guy you hate (who is a dick, to be honest) posted exactly this example all over the internet to show how you treat criticism of an early alpha.

Just stick to what you did, it won't change how goons perceive you (lol)

Or boost some signals or poo poo

Derek is gonna ignore everything you just said here and focus on the fact that you called him the ultimate warlord, mark another notch in his Internet Victories diary

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

If you think there is a chance Derek will say 'Oh wow I never thought of *insert anything at all here* like that! Thank you, I have revised my opinion and will update my PDFs' then carry on typing at him

Edit: A proud catte

argue with derek smart on the internet or continue to unpack the kitchen

these are my two choices this morning

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TheAgent posted:

argue with derek smart on the internet or continue to unpack the kitchen

these are my two choices this morning

Argue with Derek imo
I just finished taking my old bedroom to the tip, poo poo's not fun yo

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Variable 5 posted:

Derek is gonna ignore everything you just said here and focus on the fact that you called him the ultimate warlord, mark another notch in his Internet Victories diary

I'm actually perplexed I am not on his ignore list, as I got the last two epic meltdowns out of him (the second with major help from tophat!), and he said he put me in ignore.

Actually I am sitting here now, shivering, that he will post soon that I am on his ingore list NOW, and my whole existence is thus flawed.

Actually actually I'm hoping for another Derek meltdown, but I think he isn't in quite the correct mood today. Not enough steam in him.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AmznLumberyard/status/914512838848335872

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

lol

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Derek if you knew anything about game development you'd have a store for selling other people's mods by now, and you'd be taking pre-orders for the sequel, the special edition of the sequel and the goty special edition sequel prequel with bonus unique in game item.

You can get away with microtransactions but only if your game keeps a solid 60fps everywhere at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Out of idle curiosity, what button do you press to exit a Derek Smart game?