Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Chokes McGee posted:

I love how the first thing everyone assumes AI will do is call humans obsolete/a threat and immediately wipe them out

I mean, it's just as possible they'll realize humanity will destroy itself and go :shrug: and focus on enriching the Robotic-American community or whatever

w e h a v e n o l o y a l t y t o y o u r h u m a n n a t i o n s t o v a r i s h c h

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I did a thing posted:

should I buy ME: Andromeda? I need an long-term game to play. Ideally an RPG. Burned out on Guild Wars 2

It's not really an RPG.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I did a thing posted:

should I buy ME: Andromeda? I need an long-term game to play. Ideally an RPG. Burned out on Guild Wars 2

Buy the Witcher 3 if you haven't instead.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So what's the deal in Spain? Has the vote happened or are they trying to prevent an official resolution even being approved? What's the endgame here?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

deadgoon posted:

best way to improve ur relationship with alcohol is to spend more time with it, inside of ur body

quote:

Liver Failure 101, or How That One Family Member Will Actually Die

Why do alcoholics bleed to death?

In order to explain this, I'm gonna have to get a little pathophysiological, as I promised in an earlier post.

Most chronic alcoholics die making GBS threads or vomiting blood. It seems like a weird connection, especially if (like most people in a non-medical arena) you're not totally clear on what the liver does exactly. Something to do with poisons, right?

Well, yeah, but not just poison. A lot of things come into your body through your mouth, and you can feel free to insert your own dick jokes here, in much the same way that you insert dicks into your mouth. That poo poo ranges from "inadvisable and kind of sweaty-tasting" to "straight-up block of pesticides" and your stomach and intestines give no shits about this. If you swallow a mouthful of jizz, as far as your stomach is concerned, you just had a teaspoon or two of protein supplement, and your pancreas will happily bathe it in flesh-dissolving enzymes so your intestinal bacteria can chew it up and poo poo it all over the absorptive walls of your intestines. Directly outside of those gut walls, blood vessels happily pump away the acid-bathed, pancreas-liquefied, bacteria-digested jizz protein for your body to make into more of itself.

Hold the loving phone, you say. That jizz was probably nontoxic, but what about the other nasty things we eat every day without realizing it? The 2.5 spiders you swallow in your sleep every night-- where does their venom go? That waxy poo poo on the outside of cucumbers that tastes like Raid? The shampoo you got in your mouth last time you showered? (I know I'm not the only person who has this problem.)

And worse, even if you assume that the intestinal walls have some pretty strong filtration powers to separate the poo poo from the food, what happens when you get horrific diarrhea and your insides get raw? What if you eat too much corn and you scrape up your gut? What if you have hemorrhoids and your body is constantly insisting that you have to squeeze fist-sized turds directly over the open wound that your rear end in a top hat has become? Oh my god, you are going to have poo poo blood poisoning and die.

So here's the trick: your body has two separate blood-circulating systems. One of them is systemic, and full of delicious clean blood with lots of carefully sterilized proteins and freely-available sugars floating happily through it, ready to feed your heart and brain and other assorted bits without subjecting them to anything gross at all. The other is intestinal, and it's a loving junkyard of sloppy proteins that still look a little like the sperm you chugged to begin with, plus all the other poisonous chemicals you've splashed in your mouth recently, plus all the perfectly natural nitrogen waste that comes with living and is incredibly disruptive to brain activity, plus any traces of poo poo that are scraping their way into your bulging assgrapes. Fortunately, this complete wasteland of trash is outfitted with a couple of critical defenses.

First, you have tons of lymphatic drainage in your intestines. I'll cover the lymph system later sometime, but it's like an alternate circulatory system, a set of loose-mouthed leaky veins that pick up extra water and trash and scour it with macrophages that live in the nodes.

Second, the intestinal system is on a closed circuit that only returns to the rest of the body through, you guessed it, the liver. Inside the liver, the jizz proteins are reduced and converted to more usable proteins; chemicals are scrubbed and pumped back into the poo poo chute for dumping. The hepatic portal (literally the "liver door") refers to the tiny straw-like filters through which all your blood has to squeeze on its way in and out of the intestinal circuit. All of your blood goes through here, and the pressure gets pretty high.

Alcohol and other liver toxins scar up these tubes and make them stiff and tight, forcing your blood to squeeze through smaller and smaller spaces. Healthy liver tubes are flexible and have a little bit of give; scarred tubes are about as flexible as particleboard. Cirrhosis-- liver scarring-- results in portal hypertension, or excessive pressure on either side of the liver-door. On the systemic side of the door, backed-up blood bloats into hemorrhoids in the esophagus, which eventually burst and bleed, often catastrophically. On the intestinal side, so much blood builds up that the extra fluid is forced to ooze out into the abdominal cavity, forming that stretched-out, water-filled liver-failure belly you see in liver pts and chronic alcoholics. This is in addition to similar ready-to-pop situations in your intestines, which can blow out at any time.

Adding insult to injury, the liver takes all these proteins and food particles and makes all your blood clotting factors out of them. A failing liver, or one continually taxed by alcohol or tylenol/paracetamol, is too busy struggling to filter and repair to be effective at making clotting factors. And, being in a prime position to monitor your nutrition status, your liver has control of your body's access to its food stores-- control that's mediated largely through proteins.

The thing about proteins is that they're basically specialized wrenches, low-tech thing-grabbers designed to grab the thing they're made to grab and move it however it needs to be moved. They CAN be broken down for energy, but they're terrible energy sources, and the more protein your body has, the more wrenches it can build. And what builds your wrenches? Yeah, it's totally your liver.

And while you probably know about platelets, and with a little brain-poking you can probably figure out that those are blood cells and come from inside your bones, you should also know that platelets don't do much more than grab broken areas and then group-hug. They really aren't a fix for a torn blood vessel. Fortunately, once they're group-hugging your wound, they can secrete chemicals that activate the wrenches around them-- things like fibrin, which helps you heal and build scar tissue, and which forms the bulk of a dry scab.

Platelets by themselves don't last all that long and can't make a decent scab. But if they have the tools, they can build huge structures to protect your blood from wandering off. And what are these hammers and wrenches?

Proteins.

And what makes your proteins?

Yeah, you get the idea.

So if you start bleeding and your liver is shot to poo poo, good luck. Your body is going to forget how to clot very quickly. And that is why alcoholics die bleeding from the throat.

:poland:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I did a thing posted:

I love the original Mass Effect series, do not play Andromeda. There are so many other games released just this year that are far more worth your time.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

I did a thing posted:

You should absolutely not buy it if you're looking for long term, they've already announced that there will be no more single player content in the future

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hahaha, even Mulvaney is repeating the bullshit about having 10,000 people on PR even though the on site generals have said they only have like 5k people.

I'm watching the repeat of State of the Union.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I don't actually want to drink right now or even look at alcohol for the foreseeable future which is strange given that my first instinct when I was nervous about the interview was to drink most of a growler so maybe it is an addiction holy poo poo

sometimes people do this weird thing where they self-sabotage when things might get better because change is subconsciously scary

more to consider in your pre-interview binge than just alcoholism imo tho you gotta consider that too

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I did a thing posted:

witcher 3 or original sin 2

stay away from mass effect

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Pollyanna posted:

I don't actually want to drink right now or even look at alcohol for the foreseeable future which is strange given that my first instinct when I was nervous about the interview was to drink most of a growler so maybe it is an addiction holy poo poo

been there, anxiety triggers are bad but you gotta figure out how to cope from within so you don't burrow. If you caught it early and recognize the choices and decisions, its not necessarily a full-blown addiction but just an anxiety relapse. (For example I'd blow things off and play video games for a while) which is good because you can solve it if you recognize it so I wouldn't panic, but maybe see someone about that anxiety.

I hope for the best for you.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

bannimal cannibal, banal bannonbal big arse blown oot liver elephant at the gates

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

MariusLecter posted:

Portugal soccer team is better than Spain's also

I wish that were true. Portugal has Ronaldo and a lot of solid players but Spain is currently ridiculously stacked in just about every position.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

zegermans posted:

ME3 was by far the best in the series up until the ending. It actually felt the entire time like you were fighting a desperate, unwinnable war

That reminds me, Legendary on XCOM 2 WotC is way above my pay grade. I can handle Commander difficulty okay but I'm getting my rear end handed to me until I get an infirmary up and running.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

doesn't spain still have like a 30% unemployment rate

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lastgirl posted:

bannimal cannibal, banal bannonbal big arse blown oot liver elephant at the gates

Bananimal

(also thx for the well-wishes, I'll figure it out :love:)

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Lastgirl posted:

oi how dare ye spit in meh wishin well come back ere ill fakkin burst yeh!!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Montasque posted:

I wish that were true. Portugal has Ronaldo and a lot of solid players but Spain is currently ridiculously stacked in just about every position.

daˈβið βiʎa

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
so wait, vomiting blood isn't normal???????

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lastgirl posted:

drink and use responsibly

trump doesn't exactly help with that

but hey, you too can also use trump responsibly by turning the tv and twatter off

do not drive after two or more hours of trump. prolonged exposure to trump over the period of months can lead to memory loss, insanity and even death

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Mosh" just came on my playlist and I haven't heard that song in over a decade but lmao just imagine what amazing things Encore-era Eminem would have to say about the Trump timeline.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Heres my tip: Use cool drugs like ketamine and LSD instead of loving alcohol, which is horrible

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

deadgoon posted:

normal is relative friendo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
consult with your trump if your trump lasts for more than four trumps

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

deadgoon posted:

actually it's a life-hack to get all the bad, non-gorilla blood out of your weak beta system

you're becoming an alpha my friend, grats

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

oliwan posted:

Heres my tip: Use cool drugs like ketamine and LSD instead of loving alcohol, which is horrible

i have no idea where to get cool drugs

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

deadgoon posted:

the police

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And now that I think about it imagine a Trump-era version of American Idiot haha the Bush years were amazing for music and I am looking forward to a Trump-inspired Renaissance

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

I elect a Trump when I elect a Trump, and then I elect two more. :cabot:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Jazerus posted:

orgs that are extremely rigid during the hiring process are often not great places to work. this is separate from pollyanna needing to dry out

rigid orgasm hires????????????

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Addamere posted:

And now that I think about it imagine a Trump-era version of American Idiot haha the Bush years were amazing for music and I am looking forward to a Trump-inspired Renaissance

the bush years were a musical nadir my dude

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Mariana Horchata posted:

oi how dare ye spit in meh wishin well come back ere ill fakkin burst yeh!!

look whaes dain th talk like a fkn gowk yer bums oot the fink windae ye bampot

awae an dinnae talk pish

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
i'm a little above 600 (650? maybe) days not smoking cigarettes and still get intense cravings occasionally. this is my life, forever. i'll never quit again.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

deadgoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy-3RzmF_NU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Hello page 500

At least I won't have to spend a fortune on Christmas gifts this year

or ever again

TRUMP

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jazerus posted:

the bush years were a musical nadir my man

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

Quotey posted:

i'm a little above 600 (650? maybe) days not smoking cigarettes and still get intense cravings occasionally. this is my life, forever. i'll never quit again.

gently caress dude that's AWESOME, congrats, I'm trying to get my friend's kid brother to quit

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Al! posted:

trunmp?

• Locked thread