Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

an actual dog posted:

Motherfuckin Osomatsu-san 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Sword Art Online Season 3 confirmed.

Also confirmed is a spinoff focusing on Gun Gale Online.

Will this spinoff show also reveal the bad guy in its op?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Sword Art Online Season 3 confirmed.

Also confirmed is a spinoff focusing on Gun Gale Online.
poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Grouchio posted:

poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo

Come on.
SAO JUST released a movie and still rides pretty high. You can't seriously think it wasn't going to get a 3rd season, right?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Postal Parcel posted:

Come on.
SAO JUST released a movie and still rides pretty high. You can't seriously think it wasn't going to get a 3rd season, right?

You misunderstood. Grouchio was just providing a summary of the third season.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

You misunderstood. Grouchio was just providing a summary of the third season.

The best part is that Log Horizon does a very similar thing to what Season 3 is covering, but leagues better as it isn't SAO. It's a moderately interesting setting though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well, that's because Mamare Touno is not a loving fraud (temporary tax evasion notwithstanding).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
How long until a live action western movie.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Wark Say posted:

Well, that's because Mamare Touno is not a loving fraud (temporary tax evasion notwithstanding).

Eh, Kawahara shits out novels. He's bad, but it's also the industry. At least he's not Oreimo/Eromanga guy and at least vaguely attempts something remotely interesting even if he can't execute much.

Fangz posted:

How long until a live action western movie.

Isn't there a live action western TV series on its way?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I was about to write a joke about how Kawahara suffers from metaphorical constipation and IBS when compared to someone like Nisio Isin who seems like a much healthier pooper on average. Then I realized the joke was going to be gross so I stopped.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Isn't there a live action western TV series on its way?

The producers of Friday Night Lights are attached.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Does that mean we're getting more Explosions in the Sky doing OST? Because I'd be down for more Explosions in the Sky doing OST work. :)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Waffleman_ posted:

Episode 16.5: Clear Eyes, Full NerveGear, Can't Lose

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hooray for Index Season 3!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Hooray for Index Season 3!

I thought this was a joke and laughed.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

kater posted:

I thought this was a joke and laughed.
IT AINT

:catdrugs:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I guess it makes sense cuz they decided to drag it out of the closet for a Virtual-On game of all things.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, aside from some spots (in which it'd be monumentally lovely to stop), pretty much the rest of the arcs for the first part of Index all sorta bleed into one another. Does this mean 3rd season's going to cover Academy City's Dark Side Gang War / God's Right Seat / Europe's Civil War / World War 3 arc? I don't think my body is ready. :magical:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wake me when there's more Railgun instead.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

a kitten posted:

Wake me when there's more Railgun instead.
Yeeeeeah

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It wasn't really hotly contested since they had Season 1, but the US site for 3gatsu says that Crunchyroll has Season 2. It would've been weird if they didn't, but it wasn't in their Fall Pick Ups so i guess they were gonna announce it closer or just give more time to new shows. It's also getting a dub which is cool

http://3lion-usa.com/streaming/

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I am watching the sad boy shogi anime and wow it is exceptional and fantastic. I'm not even halfway into the show yet and i'm already super excited for season 2. At first I thought I was lucky that the new season is still a couple of weeks away but from the rate i'm going through these episodes i'll still have a while to wait. It's so good!!
yeah!! yeah!!!!!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I finally got around to watching Railgun, and liked it. Which left me wondering why I put off watching it for so long. Then I started Index and went, "Oh yeah, that's why." I'm guessing the author wrote Railgun after Index was finished? Because despite being the same setting and genre (more or less) Index was kind of a mess by comparison.

Admittedly I've only seen the anime so I don't know how that garbled things, though apparently the LN still has the rather immediate and jarring shift in emphasis. "Behold! Our setting, the city of scientific wonder and esper research! Now forget all about that and focus on wizard politics instead!" The whole thing came off like the writer was wildly flailing about for ideas. That said, I'm inclined to give season 3 a shot since it sounds like the author gradually found his footing as time went on.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Railgun is a manga written by someone else, to fill in blanks left by the main Index LN's. It still follows the same canon, but it's pretty obvious it's a different author.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rangpur posted:

I finally got around to watching Railgun, and liked it. Which left me wondering why I put off watching it for so long. Then I started Index and went, "Oh yeah, that's why." I'm guessing the author wrote Railgun after Index was finished? Because despite being the same setting and genre (more or less) Index was kind of a mess by comparison.

Admittedly I've only seen the anime so I don't know how that garbled things, though apparently the LN still has the rather immediate and jarring shift in emphasis. "Behold! Our setting, the city of scientific wonder and esper research! Now forget all about that and focus on wizard politics instead!" The whole thing came off like the writer was wildly flailing about for ideas. That said, I'm inclined to give season 3 a shot since it sounds like the author gradually found his footing as time went on.

nah, it's still all about touma losing 80 gallons of blood every 3 days while being preachy as gently caress

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Rangpur posted:

"Behold! Our setting, the city of scientific wonder and esper research! Now forget all about that and focus on wizard politics instead!" The whole thing came off like the writer was wildly flailing about for ideas. That said, I'm inclined to give season 3 a shot since it sounds like the author gradually found his footing as time went on.

everything in quote marks is the author's footing. railgun is more grounded because of its localized setting within academy city and focus on schoolgirls. villains in index are reality-warping wizards who want to wield ancient mythological concepts and reshape the world. villains in railgun are sexy scientists. the latter's theme is good because you can have crazy scientist, scientist with bags under eyes, scientist who wants to save her class of primary schoolers, etc.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wizards also have no sense of right and wrong, while scientists are regulated heavily by ethics boards.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

^^^^^^^^
edit: I said I'd watched Railgun already, so we both know that isn't true

Jeez I was way the gently caress off with how I envisioned the publication order. Still seems like kind of an odd dichotomy though. I think it's the way the series presents Academy City and Espers generally as being somehow the opposite of wizards and magic when there doesn't seem to be much difference in practice. If nothing else, it renders any incredulity the characters express about magic completely ludicrous.

"I dunno 'bout this 'magic,' man. Seems kinda weird & dangerous." *manipulates fundamental force of the universe on an unheard of scale*

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a man in a lab coat gave a thumbs up, so it's totally scientific.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
IDOLOCALYPSE

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Index is pretty dumb in general. There's a lot of references to scientific, religious, historical, and even mathematical concepts that the author clearly doesn't understand at all. The titular Index's characterization makes me think of the Miyazaki quote about people who want girls as pets. The villains have inane motivations like "I hate science and technology because my brother died in a accident at an amusement park." The rules of the world aren't internally consistent (a big one that stands out off the top of my head: if psychic powers are about imposing your personal reality on the world, while magic is based on external systems of symbolism, than why is Aureolus Izzard considered a wizard instead of an esper?). Touma's amnesia is used in a way that's actually less interesting than the cliche; rather than creating a mystery, it's an excuse to have a protagonist with no backstory and no long-term goals.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you wear a lab coat it's science, if you wear a robe and possibly a fancy hat it's magic, duh.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mean Railgun is far from perfect, but as far as a silly X-Men-like romp with anime girls goes it's fun enough. By focusing on a much smaller cast it's also able to actually let some characterization room to breath, compared to Index which has a billion characters who often get forgotten for seasons and books on end. And more importantly it doesn't (usually) feature the most boring MC imaginable in Touma.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Pre-amnesia Touma was actually just really into tabletop roleplaying, and his personality is an expression of a lingering subconscious desire to punch smug magic-users in the face. His favorite class was Monk, so can you really blame him for carrying a grudge?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
season 3 of railgun would cover some pretty awesome stuff. season 3 of index will still feature touma and there is even the awful possibility of index showing up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

season 3 of railgun would cover some pretty awesome stuff. season 3 of index will still feature touma and there is even the awful possibility of index showing up.
Oh yeah isn't it the Athletic Festival arc next with Shohoku? That should be rad, I remember that being my favorite arc of the Railgun manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Oh yeah isn't it the Athletic Festival arc next with Shohoku? That should be rad, I remember that being my favorite arc of the Railgun manga.

no, it would be rad. s3 of railgun hasn't been announced as far as i know.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
I'm looking forward to Osomatsu-san season two.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It's impressive how Touma brings down nearly any Railgun scene he's in as well

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

nielsm posted:

Railgun is a manga written by someone else, to fill in blanks left by the main Index LN's. It still follows the same canon, but it's pretty obvious it's a different author.
Actually, no: Kazuma Kamachi is just rock-gently caress insane about writing.

When asked how he can write so much, he said:

quote:

"If I don’t keep writing, I’ll crash. Like an airplane."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A Certain Magical Index, where the titular character vanishes from any plot relevance past the initial arc.

Railgun is much better, for reasons outlined above. S3 would be bonkers and I would greatly look forward to Demon Mikoto

• Locked thread