Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

1000 years of bitter cultural schism between Eastern and Western catholic traditions all because it's not super clear what the phrase "proceeds from" means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Dejawesp posted:

Why didn't more people get into Norse mythology? One of few religions that makes sense. Why does bad things happen to good people? Because the realm of the gods is a giant frat house that's why.

Because it's really, really lovely to actually live in that world if you're not a hero - same reason the Egyptian faith completely collapsed to Christianity and Greek only held on while it had the strength of the Roman Empire behind it.

"I don't get it, why don't more people want to live under a faith that explicitly only has an afterlife for the rich/says the gods will rape you then punish you for being raped/demands human sacrifice instead of boring-rear end Christianity with its "mercy" and "temperance" and "love"."

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Jurgan posted:

People like hope in their religion, and that one doesn’t end very well.

Sure it does, following ragnarok and the fimbulwinter, mankind is reborn from two ash trees and the cycle begins anew. It's basically the big crunch theory of theology.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

sometimes the things we own, they own us ~~~

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!

Dienes posted:

The best explanation I've heard was God is water. Water can be in three separate states with different characteristics, Liquid, Solid, and Gas, but its still all fundamentally water.

The Trinity isn't any more complex than Zeus shapeshifting to pork someone as golden rain. Its just that no one bothered to worship Rain-Zeus separately from Man-Zeus.

Sorry bud but that's a Hersey, specifically Modolism. But the Trinity is confusing to churchmen too seeing as it's the cause of a few schism itself

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I've just noticed that the phone is pressing the human in the puss.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Sarcopenia posted:

I've just noticed that the phone is pressing the human in the puss.

How else are you gonna turn her on

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Byzantine posted:

How else are you gonna turn her on

Recharging. :shrug:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

Sorry bud but that's a Hersey, specifically Modolism. But the Trinity is confusing to churchmen too seeing as it's the cause of a few schism itself

That's Hershey? God is chocolate? And not even very good chocolate? :raise:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It really seems like the church should have dropped the whole concept of the Trinity from the start and saved itself a lot of trouble.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Jurgan posted:

People like hope in their religion, and that one doesn’t end very well.

"Eternal torment for minor transgressions" is hardly a bonus prize, either.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Really feels like the church shouldn't have churched because of the church

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Who What Now posted:

It really seems like the church should have dropped the whole concept of the Trinity from the start and saved itself a lot of trouble.

No see, god is love, but you can't love without having a target for that love, therefore god must really be more than one or else who would he love before people?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Who What Now posted:

Zeus was never Rain-, Swan-, and Man-Zeus all at the same time while simultaneously being one singular Zeus and three separate Zeus's.

No, but there have been a lot of triumvirate gods in other religions like the Morrigan in Celtic myth and a lot of gods in Hinduism. The Trinity is weird and means a a lot of different things to different people, but it's not a unique religious concept.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
The only good religions are suicide cults. Also

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Fantastic Flyer posted:

The only good religions are suicide cults. Also

That looks like a joke kick backfiring.

Still I can't really blame the dad.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dejawesp posted:

That looks like a joke kick backfiring.

Still I can't really blame the dad.

It's an adult with Downs.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

CommonShore posted:

It's an adult with Downs.

That's sad.

Still.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Extra points for not knowing what the gently caress Valley Forge was.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

hyperhazard posted:

Extra points for not knowing what the gently caress Valley Forge was.

Even Al Gore and John Kerry went to Nam. What's with hard rear end conservatives and draft dodging?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dejawesp posted:

Even Al Gore and John Kerry went to Nam. What's with hard rear end conservatives and draft dodging?

Bullies are often cowards at heart.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

No you didn't.

Also, stop fantasizing about your mom while you're at the gym.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I feel like a lot of the old religions like the norse faith were way more honest about things than christianity. Viking gods be all "yea the world is poo poo my dude and most likely only the most powerful of you mortals will get a seat at the allfathers table" while christianity is all "i love you and the meek shall inherit the earth byt don't touch your weiner or you'll burn for ever"

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Biplane posted:

I feel like a lot of the old religions like the norse faith were way more honest about things than christianity. Viking gods be all "yea the world is poo poo my dude and most likely only the most powerful of you mortals will get a seat at the allfathers table" while christianity is all "i love you and the meek shall inherit the earth byt don't touch your weiner or you'll burn for ever"

I am surprised that the idea a perfect, omnipotent, all loving god could even take root in... You know *this* world. I mean you don't need to do a lot of looking to find that this is not the prized handiwork of a perfect being.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Biplane posted:

Other than one guy (whose real sin was disobeying a direct order from God) there's not really an actual doctrinal prohibition against masturbation. Like a large chunk of "Christian" views, that got added in later.

You'd probably have something similar with the old religions if they'd taken the same path as Christianity, with people just adding in their own rules and poo poo.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
This just in:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/914497877543735296
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/914497947517227008
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/914565910798782465

Donald J Trump, IOSM in chief, basically declared war on North Korea through twitter :stare:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

I feel like we need an emote like :godwin: but for Freud.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mikl posted:

Donald J Trump, IOSM in chief, basically declared war on North Korea through twitter :stare:

While also apparently thinking that Kim Jong Un and Kim Jong Il are the same person.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Intoluene posted:

I feel like we need an emote like :godwin: but for Freud.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
:perfect:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

It's... beautiful...

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Puppy Time posted:

Other than one guy (whose real sin was disobeying a direct order from God) there's not really an actual doctrinal prohibition against masturbation. Like a large chunk of "Christian" views, that got added in later.

You'd probably have something similar with the old religions if they'd taken the same path as Christianity, with people just adding in their own rules and poo poo.

His real sin was insurance fraud.

I'm... not actually kidding.

He married his brother's widow in a levirate marriage. It's like life insurance in a civilization where women's ability to take care of themselves is limited, especially ones where there are picky rules about who one can marry. Normally, the responsibility of her care would fall to a son if possible, but she had none. If she couldn't find a new husband, she could insist on her dead husband's brother, and that's what happened.

So he's supposed to take care of her and make her a male heir. And that would mean the male heir would get all the dead brother's stuff instead of him. He decided to bang the lady but pull out so she wouldn't have more kids. It wasn't even jerking off, really.

This has been your Sunday Bible lesson for the day.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

This is even better than what I had in my head.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

I still think it's surreal that this man is prez.

Amazing

Edit: call it :microwave:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Foxhound posted:

Edit: call it :microwave:

No, :oedickus:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Dicks out for filial piety.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No, :oedickus:

Call it :freud:, like it was made for.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Who What Now posted:

Call it :freud:, like it was made for.

More like :fraud:!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

For gently caress's sake. Neither Clinton nor Bush had any dealings with "Rocket Man". This man is a loving embarrassment.