Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
About 75-80* yeah.. my gym has 3 lat pulldown machines, and they are all different. I only use one and hate the other two, I will never use them. One of them feels like the cable is positioned too close to you, to where you would have to lean wayyy back to have the load on your lats, one has crappy knee pads and the cable/weight stack doesn't move as smoothly as my favorite. The one I use is older, solid construction and feels perfect. I'm not sure who the manufacturer is off the top of my head.

Anyway! My method is very specific. I do lean back a decent bit. Gym has like 8 bars to choose from, I only use one (the best one) get my grip, put my tits out, let my arms go straight and use my body weight to pull the stack down while I slide my knees under the pad. Then I find my lean angle or whatev and at that moment it feels like the whole load is on my lats, biceps hardly feel involved during the reps, except for the last few in a set. If I feel like I lose thoracic extension a tiny bit, I count that as a failed rep and stop/or drop the weight so I can control it better. Absolutely love the pump I get from underhand pulldowns. A+ exercise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
How wide of a grip do you take? I probably had mine exactly shoulder width.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Uhhh not sure. Probably shoulder width as well, whatever :feelsgood: thats what matters.

The bar I use has lines and I have a sweet spot where my index fingers are right against the lines closest to the center of the bar. I feel like I don't get anything out of wide grip pulldowns anymore since I can do a ton of wide grip pull ups. Which feel amazing.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

How wide of a grip do you take? I probably had mine exactly shoulder width.
Similar to OHP maybe a bit wider for me. I rest my arms on my lats for OHP and just outside of it for lat pulldowns.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 29, 2017

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Data Graham posted:

Hey so

Hundreds of push-ups per day y/n ??

What kinda pushups? One armed, planche, handstand? Gotta increase that resistance if want the gains.
Your muscles will be fine. RIP your tendons and ligaments though.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

To think of all the time I wasted in college not lifting.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
http://www.phillymag.com/be-well-philly/2017/09/29/evolve-fitness/

quote:

“People go to the gym and get hurt, and that’s why they leave. There’s no one there to show them how to squat or tell them that they’re not ready to squat yet,”

Listen, little guy. You're not ready to squat. Only when you've achieved ultimate gym enlightenment.....that's when you'll be ready.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Benching two plates is just like shagging your mum.

I can still do it and it's nothing to brag about.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

holy gently caress how is someone able to bend their wrists like that

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
With practice.

the heat goes wrong fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 1, 2017

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

nooneofconsequence posted:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

To think of all the time I wasted in college highschool not lifting.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

To think of all the time I wasted in college higschool the womb not lifting.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I did the lat pulldowns again, this time using the EZ Bar attachment and taking a similar grip like most people do with curls. They felt really good.

Also I pressed 100 and 105x3 which is a PR. Only got 95x8 on my amrap which is the same as last time I did 95 2 weeks ago, but OHP only goes up so fast.

Also I'm still wound up on that white monster. What did you guys do today?

edit: Also weighted planks are my new favorite ab exercise. So simple and hits my abs really well.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 1, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
My arms didn't get any longer, but my sleeves are getting shorter. :getin:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Did anyone get any nice PRs today?

Today was 1+ day for Bench @ 160lbs. I got 8 and then I hit 180x2, I came an asshair away from a 3rd rep but I went a little wild on my previous PR set so I didn't get it. Oh well. If this all keeps up I may hit my 2 plate bench before the end of the year.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Did anyone get any nice PRs today?

Today was 1+ day for Bench @ 160lbs. I got 8 and then I hit 180x2, I came an asshair away from a 3rd rep but I went a little wild on my previous PR set so I didn't get it. Oh well. If this all keeps up I may hit my 2 plate bench before the end of the year.

I'm on a deload week after the misery of the final week of the second RP Mesocycle. Two sets of weighted dips with an added 10kg, which was bliss after the past few weeks. My shoulders were getting pretty unhappy.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Have you been lacrosse balling them? Ever since I started doing that mine have felt great even with all the heavy pressing. For me my pec minor was responsible for a lot of it. I still need to work on my overall mobility though.

Also I've gotten to where every time I bench, I superset facepulls with every set of bench, that's helped too.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Have you been lacrosse balling them? Ever since I started doing that mine have felt great even with all the heavy pressing. For me my pec minor was responsible for a lot of it. I still need to work on my overall mobility though.

I haven't, because knowing myself I'd do it wrong and make things worse. Might give it a shot though. It's nice to hear that you're doing well though! :)

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I don't think you can really gently caress yourself up unless you really do something stupid like put your whole body weight on it or something(for shoulder stuff you generally just are leaning on it against a wall). They only cost a couple bucks, give it a try. If it helped my gnarled rear end then you have a decent shot.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
For some reason my squat is going up really fast, but everything else is painfully slow (531). My goals for this year were 120 kg bench, 160 kg squat and 200 kg deadlift. At this rate I'll hit the squat goal in a few cycles, but dl and bench I'll be surprised to get this year.
Current PRs are 1x105, 5x140 and 1x180. DL was going well until my knees decided they hate sumo and I had to switch back to conventional.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
That's a pretty big gap between your squat and deadlift goal. I only have a ~50 pound difference between those.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I feel like my bench could be a lot higher than it is now (I managed 3x184 on Monday, wooo) because of a few factors:

1) no spotter, so I have no assistance getting it off the rack, and that's at like the most awkward angle for initial impulse
2) I've had a persistent deep muscle pain for months in my left deltoid, like right down deep where it attaches in the middle of the upper arm; I can power through with it screaming like a gently caress but I'm pretty sure it makes me overall weaker on that side
3) no spotter, so I am probably chickening out lest I die in my basement with infinite Simpsons playing in the background

This weekend is the end of my bulk phase though so I'm hoping I can give my arm a rest, maybe I'll even get lucky and it'll fatten up and stop looking so much smaller than my right arm and making everyone snicker :mmmhmm:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Yeah keep benching when it's giving you persistent deep shoulder pain that's a real smart guy move that won't lead to any long-term issues.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
The 6 day leg program is the sickest poo poo dudes. My legs are blowing up but LOL @ doing sumo squats with 75lbs and it actually being hard.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I feel like my bench could be a lot higher than it is now (I managed 3x184 on Monday, wooo) because of a few factors:

1) no spotter, so I have no assistance getting it off the rack, and that's at like the most awkward angle for initial impulse
2) I've had a persistent deep muscle pain for months in my left deltoid, like right down deep where it attaches in the middle of the upper arm; I can power through with it screaming like a gently caress but I'm pretty sure it makes me overall weaker on that side
3) no spotter, so I am probably chickening out lest I die in my basement with infinite Simpsons playing in the background

This weekend is the end of my bulk phase though so I'm hoping I can give my arm a rest, maybe I'll even get lucky and it'll fatten up and stop looking so much smaller than my right arm and making everyone snicker :mmmhmm:

that spot is close to where I'd get tender, irritated spots at sometimes. Although even at the worst it never actually ever hurt to bench press for me, but you could also give that lacrosse ball thing a try.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

bamhand posted:

That's a pretty big gap between your squat and deadlift goal. I only have a ~50 pound difference between those.

That's because squat used to be my weakest lift. It's definitely catching up now.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Metanaut posted:

For some reason my squat is going up really fast, but everything else is painfully slow (531). My goals for this year were 120 kg bench, 160 kg squat and 200 kg deadlift. At this rate I'll hit the squat goal in a few cycles, but dl and bench I'll be surprised to get this year.
Current PRs are 1x105, 5x140 and 1x180. DL was going well until my knees decided they hate sumo and I had to switch back to conventional.
Squat progress drives deadlift progress so if you're progressing at squats you shouldn't stress about the deadlift progress.

Data Graham posted:

Start with your rear end in the air when you unrack. Glute bridge style. It makes it a million times easier.

quote:

Find another human being if you're going near 1rm. Or get a safer setup. Especially in your own drat basement, you should be able to rig something up so you can drop the bar and not die.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 5, 2017

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I usually have a sufficient arch such that if I gently caress up, the bar falls on to safeties and not my neck :shrug:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I have a harem of twinks ready to catch any falling weights at a moments notice

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Zzulu posted:

I have a harem of twinks ready to catch any falling weights at a moments notice

How many twinks can you bench if you know what I mean.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Before I ask for a spot from a twink
Id rather die with a 45lb
dumbbell in my hand

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

everyone needs safeties or whatever, because going to failure owns. the only lift i try not to go to failure on is squats

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Defiant Sally posted:

The 6 day leg program is the sickest poo poo dudes. My legs are blowing up but LOL @ doing sumo squats with 75lbs and it actually being hard.

Recently added in sumo squats and holy poo poo did it help me find exactly where my glutes are.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Thesaurus posted:

everyone needs safeties or whatever, because going to failure owns. the only lift i try not to go to failure on is squats

Failure for me usually involves a lot of joint pain so if the reps aren't good and fast I give it up. Grinders aren't worth it.

Unlike grindr.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Felt a sweet pop in my wrist setting down a 65 after an incline press. Now I can't even curl a 10. Awesome.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
SWOLECEPTION: ~*It Hurts So Good*~
seriously, help me up kid.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Felt a sweet pop in my wrist setting down a 65 after an incline press. Now I can't even curl a 10. Awesome.

I almost always dump dumbells after finishing a set of pressing. Only time I don't is when I'm doing a light warmup set or something like that when I can control it easily. I've hurt my front delt before trying to gently put them on the ground, which is no fun. Somehow I've never managed to hurt my weak baby wrists before, sounds lovely man.

You know what you must do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Chop it off and get sweet metal arms.