Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

I really don't want naval combat but Rome 1-style combat ships as units would be nice

Yeah, basically just a handful of naval units with relatively low upkeep that operate purely on the strategic layer would be nice. Give them the ability to raid coastal regions for a bit of money/slaves in addition to being able to attack/defend transport fleets with a relatively higher combat value than land units, and then you'd have an actual incentive to having some naval presence. Give each race two or three varieties of ship with trade-offs like combat power vs. raiding income vs. movement range and you'd have a decent amount of depth for a reasonable amount of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Descar posted:

How do I get influence with High elves? it's very hard to come by ...

0.Every time you use intrigue to affect diplomacy the cost goes up. Know your diplomatic limits. (relatedly, get a crappy lord out on the sea and beelining for the Southlands coast , then head for the other elf faction as soon as possible- in the earlygame it's a LOT easier to make friends abroad than it will be once you're consolidated.)

1. Try to run at a cash surplus, so that when Intrigue at Court events fire you can pick the "bribe a bunch of people to make the King look good" option.
2. Rite of Asuryan is 1500 gold for 20 influence and a public order buff. Cast that thing on cooldown.
3. Build Noble heroes. Every one of your major armies is going to want one for the replenishment bonus anyway, but they can also take an Intrigue action against enemy settlements that gets you a trickle of influence.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Xae posted:

Option 1: Take a bunch of +Public Order research options.
Option 2: Accept constant rebellion. Try to stagger them and just farm them for slaves.

Wouldn't option 2 be tough if you expand to any meaningful degree? The idea of sticking to just one province seems weird to me.

Edit: Some of these non standard playstyles are hard to wrap my head around as someone used to old Total War games. The Vortex campaign also mostly puts me in a paint the map mind set.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 1, 2017

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

John Charity Spring posted:

I like having a couple units of Stormvermin early on, you're not going to hurt yourself too much with 1-2 in your army. As for Poison Wind I never had more than 2 in an army and found that even 1 sufficed most of the time unless I was facing an obscene amount of monsters.

How do you face massed heavily-armoured units like saurus in the early game as Queek? Are stormvermin and poison wind globadiers enough?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Question: why do the High Elf faction leaders not get fancy mounts? You're telling me that a random noble can end up riding a dragon but that my leader has to stick with a pony?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Angry Lobster posted:

How do you face massed heavily-armoured units like saurus in the early game as Queek? Are stormvermin and poison wind globadiers enough?

Stormvermin, Queek himself, plagueclaw catapults, rat ogres (who have armour piercing), lots and lots of use of magic if you have it (the basic warp lightning spell is really reliable at dealing damage). You can always throw more rats at a problem and even the sauruses can't withstand an endless tide of rats. Autoresolve heavily underrates the Skaven combat capabilities if you're using them right.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Warp lighting is absolutely brutal. The upgraded Garrison gives you Skaven engineers so you can just spam the hell out of the lighting when stuff gets in the walls.

I held off and Teclis and a full stack with a relatively small force doing this which was pretty funny.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

I like having a couple units of Stormvermin early on, you're not going to hurt yourself too much with 1-2 in your army. As for Poison Wind I never had more than 2 in an army and found that even 1 sufficed most of the time unless I was facing an obscene amount of monsters.

Thanks for the take, I'm just about to start outfitting Queek with a real composition and I was wondering how to tackle it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

orangelex44 posted:

Question: why do the High Elf faction leaders not get fancy mounts? You're telling me that a random noble can end up riding a dragon but that my leader has to stick with a pony?

Tyrion's got some fancypants magic horse that's the incarnation of the perfect elvish horse of legend or something similarly poncy. Teclis is just too much of a weakass nerd. He can barely stay on his feet, trying to ride something heavy or flying would probably just break every bone in his body immediately.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Luminous Cow posted:

I mean, I get that it would be a ton of work for the devs, but it still hurts the game. I also don't understand why Black Arks can't be used as a floating piece of land to fight battles on the sea. Black Arks are a significant investment, and I would have appreciated any chance to actually defend them.
Yeah, even though it'd probably actually hurt DElves because the Black Ark is so ridiculous in autoresolve, but a siege-style map with narrow choke points would be pretty cool. Like I said, I've won fights with just my Ark against a full medium-tier stack and I can't see doing that without a garrison no matter how good the map is, but it'd be a lot more fun. I suppose it'd be pretty easy to rework it and just give the Ark a garrison instead of being a massively strong general unit. Then you could even more easily rework them to be independent armies instead of mobile support cities. I still really want to go send them off raiding by themselves like a proper horde.

Hell, they already have bridge maps, they could just make a series of maps with two or three ships per side already put in boarding positions besides time. It'd be gimmicky but work better, I think. Maybe apply some attrition/buffs/debuffs for the fight based on a few things to represent some races being outright better at naval combat than others. I wonder if that's "the experiment" they're talking about adding as part of the free DLC.

I really like the game so far, I just think the naval parts are a little more limited than they should be. I know I got away from one ritual without much of a problem because two Chaos stacks spawned in the water and I'd brought my Arks close to the shore for fire support. Two Arks and a half-stack won in autoresolve handily and that was about half of the ritual fight over without much fanfare.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

toasterwarrior posted:

Queek players, I'd like your input re: early-midgame army composition:

1) Do you think Stormvermin are necessary that early in the game, or is it fine dropping them for Clanrats to save on upkeep in the meantime?

2) How many Poison Wind Globadiers would you roll with? Are four units overkill?

I never found storm vermin necessary. Queek can recruit max level clan rats by mid game and with red skills they are nearly as good if not better since you can benefit from the 1 point red talent with fresh recruits. They are also so much cheaper.

Added bonus is it frees up skill points for artillery or weapon teams.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

I never found storm vermin necessary. Queek can recruit max level clan rats by mid game and with red skills they are nearly as good if not better since you can benefit from the 1 point red talent with fresh recruits. They are also so much cheaper.

Added bonus is it frees up skill points for artillery or weapon teams.

Yeah, I just noticed that the elite skill grants a bonus to both Clanrats and Stormvermin, so it won't be a waste of a skill point once I get into full on Stormvermin mode. I can't even remember how all these experience bonuses got added up, but I can start recruiting golden rank Clanrats next turn and that'll be a treat.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Wouldn't option 2 be tough if you expand to any meaningful degree? The idea of sticking to just one province seems weird to me.

Edit: Some of these non standard playstyles are hard to wrap my head around as someone used to old Total War games. The Vortex campaign also mostly puts me in a paint the map mind set.
Yeah, a bit. Higher level cities add a lot of +public order though, so its mostly an early-game problem. Also, given the bonuses you get to post-battle loot, it might look like you're losing money by having a lord hang out in rebellious provinces, but you'll make up for it with the victory money. Remember that every turn you let the rebels grow, they take 20 public order off, so giving them two turns to form gives you a nice +40 to public order and more slaves, loot, and experience when you crush them. Don't forget using your public order ritual. It costs a pittance of slaves and while it only gives you +8/turn, it can help put off rebellions for awhile. Staggering them with that and then raiding your own lands to draw out rebellions can give you a lot of coverage. If you've got two provinces near rebellion, pop the rite so they don't rebel at the same time, raid one to start a rebellion, let it grow for a bit, crush it, then go run off to the other and repeat. And if you get walls up, they'll often take awhile to launch an attack so one lord can effectively cover several provinces. If I was doing Malekith again, I'd go take out Grond almost immediately then send one lord to purge the Mung while the other hangs out fighting rebels in Grond and Naggaroth. At that point, Grond and Naggaroth should be secure and built up enough that expanding to Har Ganeth or south to take over the whole bay, or both simultaneously, should be pretty doable. Once you've got the bay, an Ark and a lord should be able to get to any of your major cities within two turns so they should be able to respond to any but the most immediate (loving ritual spawns) threats. That leaves you free to go pillage whoever with your lord and another Ark.

I'm pretty much entirely running a sacking/raiding economy though. One guy said Naggaroth was giving him 12k/turn and I want to know what he possibly built there to make that happen. I can't keep my slave population above 55% in one province even though I set it to get 3x its general share and built every slave pen I could. I suppose I could go set every other province to not get any slaves.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

People complaining about lack of navy have probably forgotten/missed the previous implementations of fleets.
Of those, probably only the Empire version was ok.

I would love a good navy in this game, but somewhere one has to be realistic.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
jesus christ i played one pestilens game where the spine of sotek dwarves kind of farted around doing nothing; i started a new one to get a better start and the freaking spine of sotek dwarves are going ham, they've taken three provinces and show no signs of stopping :psyduck:

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, even though it'd probably actually hurt DElves because the Black Ark is so ridiculous in autoresolve, but a siege-style map with narrow choke points would be pretty cool. Like I said, I've won fights with just my Ark against a full medium-tier stack and I can't see doing that without a garrison no matter how good the map is, but it'd be a lot more fun. I suppose it'd be pretty easy to rework it and just give the Ark a garrison instead of being a massively strong general unit. Then you could even more easily rework them to be independent armies instead of mobile support cities. I still really want to go send them off raiding by themselves like a proper horde.

Hell, they already have bridge maps, they could just make a series of maps with two or three ships per side already put in boarding positions besides time. It'd be gimmicky but work better, I think. Maybe apply some attrition/buffs/debuffs for the fight based on a few things to represent some races being outright better at naval combat than others. I wonder if that's "the experiment" they're talking about adding as part of the free DLC.

I really like the game so far, I just think the naval parts are a little more limited than they should be. I know I got away from one ritual without much of a problem because two Chaos stacks spawned in the water and I'd brought my Arks close to the shore for fire support. Two Arks and a half-stack won in autoresolve handily and that was about half of the ritual fight over without much fanfare.

Was your ark fully upgraded for that auto resolve? I had a full 20 stack army with a young ark having six units get wrecked in autoresolve against one stack of high elves led by a low level lord.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Luminous Cow posted:

Was your ark fully upgraded for that auto resolve? I had a full 20 stack army with a young ark having six units get wrecked in autoresolve against one stack of high elves led by a low level lord.
Pretty close, yeah. Its such a shame that there's no way to increase their growth besides time, and research.

e: And rituals I guess.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 1, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Bah, silly me. Here I am wondering about the effectiveness of Poison Wind Globadiers when I just realized that I'm also unlocking Warp Lightning Cannons with my next upgrade. Sorry grenade-duders, you ain't poo poo now.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

toasterwarrior posted:

Bah, silly me. Here I am wondering about the effectiveness of Poison Wind Globadiers when I just realized that I'm also unlocking Warp Lightning Cannons with my next upgrade. Sorry grenade-duders, you ain't poo poo now.

Warp Lightning Cannons are probably the best artillery in the game. I regularly got 400+ kills per battle with them. That said, Poison Wind Globadiers are also great and a real help for targeting any large units that attack your lines at any point.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Warp Lightning Cannons are probably the best artillery in the game. I regularly got 400+ kills per battle with them. That said, Poison Wind Globadiers are also great and a real help for targeting any large units that attack your lines at any point.

Tried them out in custom battle, and it seems the elevated gun platform actually works in that the gun can fire at targets right in front of it. I'm guessing a screen of rats means these artillery pieces are going to be disgustingly tough to counter.

On that note, do you think I shouldn't even bother with Plagueclaw Catapults now? The cannons got more kills than the catapults in my test battle, and I wasn't even aiming at the Saurus block intentionally...

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

toasterwarrior posted:

Tried them out in custom battle, and it seems the elevated gun platform actually works in that the gun can fire at targets right in front of it. I'm guessing a screen of rats means these artillery pieces are going to be disgustingly tough to counter.

On that note, do you think I shouldn't even bother with Plagueclaw Catapults now? The cannons got more kills than the catapults in my test battle, and I wasn't even aiming at the Saurus block intentionally...

I'm undecided. I had plagueclaws in my forces alongside the warp lightning cannons and they did excellent work too, but the warp lightning cannons seem slightly better even against big blobs. The catapults aren't a bad unit by any means, they feel similar to grudge throwers in power. It's just that the cannons are so, so good.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

toasterwarrior posted:

In match made, literally every player that gives me a hard time uses the catapults and I've never lost to a warplightning cannon even when it eventually snipes my general. I'd generally put the catapults as being an overall better deal right now but then again whenever I take lightning it shoots over people's heads.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
All I want is a standalone game that takes the Rome 2 map and adds the Warham factions as playable. If only to see the twcenter reaction.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I haven't noticed the black arc being good in auto-resolve even at maxed. Dunno if difficulty actually effects auto this time, but virtually any helve stack at sea will destroy a maxed black arc if it's only full of tier 1 troops. Helves are just dumb in auto, especially at sea. If there's any bright side it's that they also don't seem to set out much until the Age of Discovery hits so you at least get to use a black arc uncontested for a good while.

edit: Yeah, in auto they're basically treated as level 1 lords apparently even though they have 80% ward saves and all sorts of other buffs in their stats. Staffing them at all is basically wasted money versus just babysitting with an actual lord stack nearby.

Decus fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 1, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Decus posted:

I haven't noticed the black arc being good in auto-resolve even at maxed. Dunno if difficulty actually effects auto this time, but virtually any helve stack at sea will destroy a maxed black arc if it's only full of tier 1 troops. Helves are just dumb in auto, especially at sea. If there's any bright side it's that they also don't seem to set out much until the Age of Discovery hits so you at least get to use a black arc uncontested for a good while.

edit: Yeah, in auto they're basically treated as level 1 lords apparently even though they have 80% ward saves and all sorts of other buffs in their stats. Staffing them at all is basically wasted money versus just babysitting with an actual lord stack nearby.

That is what I have found as well. The only use of a Black Ark is as a mobile base.

Which is still really handy considering you absolutely have to invade Ulthuan or Tyrion auto wins the campaign.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Decus posted:

I'm playing on very hard and the black ark 'general' can easily get 500 kills in autoresolve even if it loses so not really sure what's going on there.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

I'm undecided. I had plagueclaws in my forces alongside the warp lightning cannons and they did excellent work too, but the warp lightning cannons seem slightly better even against big blobs. The catapults aren't a bad unit by any means, they feel similar to grudge throwers in power. It's just that the cannons are so, so good.

Yukitsu posted:

In match made, literally every player that gives me a hard time uses the catapults and I've never lost to a warplightning cannon even when it eventually snipes my general. I'd generally put the catapults as being an overall better deal right now but then again whenever I take lightning it shoots over people's heads.

Thanks for the info, guys, guess I'll have to weigh out the options in the meantime. On one hand, 4 Cannons would probably nullify any large threat and still do great against mobs. On the other hand, Plagueclaw Catapults inflict a -10 leadership penalty which, when combined with Warpfire Throwers' own -10 leadership penalty, would probably rout anything that makes it past the artillery barrage. In any case, I'm glad the Skaven ranged game isn't as thin as I thought it would be.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Doomwheels are so much goddamn fun. Tearing around the battlefield, pissing warp lighting all over the place, and best of all even when they apparently get bogged down they just kind of jam their way through crowds of enemies.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Kainser posted:

I'm playing on very hard and the black ark 'general' can easily get 500 kills in autoresolve even if it loses so not really sure what's going on there.

I think I have an idea of it, but would need to check the data pack to be sure. It's probably treated as a ranged unit which means it'll get several auto-resolve phases of free fire while the enemy's approach is simulated, but then once it hits the "they're nearby!" phase it probably has like no actual attack stats--either a slow rate of attack or no rate of attack--and just is simulated as getting whittled down without being able to do anything back. If difficulty also effects auto now, that also explains why troops on board it seem to do basically nothing--they'd have no general tree boosts or anything against boosted AI troops.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Any tricks for building up food with Queek?

With Skrolk it was relatively easy because there were good food cities scattered around your start, but Queek doesn't seem to have those.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Beastcatchas gimmick is they get a bunch of monsters from the sides, the downside is none of them can man the towers and gates.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any tricks for building up food with Queek?

With Skrolk it was relatively easy because there were good food cities scattered around your start, but Queek doesn't seem to have those.

Raid your own provinces (camp by your province capitals, that's where the rebels spawn), murder them, then enslave the prisoners. That's 3 food from the raid, variable amount from the battle, and 2 from the enslaving. Good poo poo, trains your generals too.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

toasterwarrior posted:

Thanks for the info, guys, guess I'll have to weigh out the options in the meantime. On one hand, 4 Cannons would probably nullify any large threat and still do great against mobs. On the other hand, Plagueclaw Catapults inflict a -10 leadership penalty which, when combined with Warpfire Throwers' own -10 leadership penalty, would probably rout anything that makes it past the artillery barrage. In any case, I'm glad the Skaven ranged game isn't as thin as I thought it would be.

In sieges, only the catapults can fire over the walls which why i keep some around.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Party In My Diapee posted:

In sieges, only the catapults can fire over the walls which why i keep some around.

I have to admit, I autoresolve all my sieges. I just don't think they're fun.

Sometime I'll play one if the calculations have me lose/losing too many units and the victory is strategically important, or if I can use a particularly fun method to cheese it and blow up a lot of dudes, but meh.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Will Skinks/Javelins not fire through your own units? Just had a weird battle where I had them secure behind my front-line ready to fire then sweep around for stragglers, but they just stood there.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Pierson posted:

Will Skinks/Javelins not fire through your own units? Just had a weird battle where I had them secure behind my front-line ready to fire then sweep around for stragglers, but they just stood there.

This actually happened to me in the tutorial. They had a clear line of sight to some enemies and just wouldn't fire. Not sure what that was about. I ended up running them around somewhere else and they eventually fired at a different unit. :shrug:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think it's something to do with distance. I hosed up my movement and had them barely inches behind my Saurus so maybe they won't fire through if they're too little distance between enemy > friend > javelins?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I've been playing around with the Gutter/Night runners recently. The regular and slinger versions seem pretty similar. Vs dinosaurs, they are useful for kiting them around when they go berserk.

I would also figure that the plague censer plague monks would be good against infantry sized armored units, but they haven't been that great, more of a support unit I guess.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Rogue armies are crazy, seems to be random 3-4 mid-high tier units

Just met 8 rank 9 black Orcs with 8 Mortars lol, against my mostly infantry high elves. Poor elfs didn't know what hit them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

wow the final ritual mission is disappointingly easy, fighting of all the ritual stacks before that was harder