Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Wirth1000 posted:

lol, so every time Kvyat gets demoted Verstappen ends up winning.

I'm ok with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Fo3 posted:

No one is suggesting that really?

It wouldn't surprise me, the FIA take a very dim view of it. He also broke the rule of leaving your steering wheel attached to the car ahead of scrutineering, though Ferrari would probably argue that only applies in the paddock when all four wheels are still attached to the car, so Are Lance probably saved Seb's bacon in that respect.

Honestly, I think Vettel has accepted he's out of contention beyond mathematical terms and I don't blame him. His impetuousness in Baku and however you want to frame Singapore have cost him his title bid. (Personally, I think it was a mixture of poor judgement and bad luck in Singapore, but this is the worst thread, so having a non-polarised opinion is terrible posting form)

I shall continue to pray to Space Enzo that Niki remembers that the Scud owns his soul. Maybe then Agent Lauda of the Red Brigade will sabotage Lewis' engine before the end of the year.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
vettel lost the title in baku and singapur, in china ferrari hosed it up not moving kimi, its a shame but thats motor racing

gently caress lewis hamilton and mercedes, this year they loving sucked

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Why did Vettel take his steering wheel with him?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wicka posted:

For the same reason he crashed after the race.

It wasn't legal and he didn't want to get caught.

Didn't want the scrutineers to see the nitrous button.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

No idea. Was odd as gently caress though.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Maybe to keep it from getting looted?

Secret traction control?

Old school Ferrari cheating?

Second brake pedal in the foot well?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Probably just a mental slip.
Everything that happened to him professional in the last 3 days would be enough to throw someone off kilter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wirth1000 posted:

Maybe to keep it from getting looted?

Secret traction control?

Old school Ferrari cheating?

Second brake pedal in the foot well?

C. Old school Ferrari cheating. Final answer, Regis.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
It's quintessential Ferrari that they finally have the car that beats Mercedes at Mercedes suited tracks and they manage to gently caress it up. 👌🏻

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Race was okay. Should get a rule for next year:

1) If it rains, capture pace car driver/destroy race car and do standing start because good race

2) if not, make grid depending on the light spectrum, with red cars on the back, violet/purple cars in the front, silver counts as nearly purple, because good race

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Fun race, shame about the winner. To be fair to him he did what he needed to do and outperformed his teammate.

Vettel still hasn't won from lower than third and struggled to get through the pack in a far better car on a track with huge DRS zones. He got stuck behind Alonso for far too many laps in the first stint, then totally failed to pass the first car not over a second down on pace. Then he's totally melted down and given himself a 5 place gearbox penalty for the next race driving into Stroll post race, amazing!

Top job done by Stoffel today, too.

Palmer remains a joke.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Thoughts on the race having not watched it and read one motorsports.com article:

Poois Shamilton.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Vettel and Wehrlein were the only drivers left on the track so there was no risk to anyone from the taxi drive. I think we'd have heard by now if they were in trouble for it.

And I still think he took the wheel because he was worried someone would take it as a souvenir.

tuo posted:

Race was okay. Should get a rule for next year:

1) If it rains, capture pace car driver/destroy race car and do standing start because good race

2) if not, make grid depending on the light spectrum, with red cars on the back, violet/purple cars in the front, silver counts as nearly purple, because good race

Actually, scrub qualifying and have everyone start in reverse order of championship standings.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Also, no surprise at Mercedes once again not being able to get super-soft tyres working on a green track. They looked a little better once they got on the softs, but by then it was all over and Vettel was still behind so they had nothing to gain putting strain on the engines.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Tsaedje posted:

Fun race, shame about the winner. To be fair to him he did what he needed to do and outperformed his teammate.

Vettel still hasn't won from lower than third and struggled to get through the pack in a far better car on a track with huge DRS zones. He got stuck behind Alonso for far too many laps in the first stint, then totally failed to pass the first car not over a second down on pace. Then he's totally melted down and given himself a 5 place gearbox penalty for the next race driving into Stroll post race, amazing!

Top job done by Stoffel today, too.

Palmer remains a joke.

quality shitpost 10/10 :golfclap:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait Vettel ruined his gearbox on the Crash?

For fucks sake

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

DoctorGonzo posted:

For fucks sake

Unconfirmed, but highly likely given the entire rear end was trashed and unless the FIA do the unthinkable and give Ferrari a pass on it because Stroll was at fault, he's gonna eat a 5 place penalty for replacing it.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorGonzo posted:

For fucks sake

Yeah, the gearbox, differential, and drive shafts are all part of the same assembly. To much force on the drive shafts and the whole guts of the thing chews itself up.

I think this is why Vettel took the steering wheel. When it's not fixed on the car, the force neutral button doesn't work, and the marshals can't try to push the car around with a potentially compromised gearbox. Makes the lift to the recovery truck the only option, which is safer for the car.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Also assuming they can put it back together properly

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's assumed bust, as removing the drive train through the side of the car isn't a recognised maintenance procedure.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Aren't drivers supposed to reattach the wheel after getting out at the end of the race?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Caught the highlights, glad I slept.

Best part easily was VET’s car exploding on the parade lap. You couldn’t write it any better. :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

wicka posted:

race sucked
verstappen sucks
vettel sucks
stroll sucks

Easily the best race we've had in the last like, 4 or 5 GPs.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

pik_d posted:

Aren't drivers supposed to reattach the wheel after getting out at the end of the race?

They do usually take them when they leave a car stranded.
I kinda doubt the FIA are going to rules-lawyer this and claim rule 541.3 applied in this case, not 127.2

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

EoRaptor posted:

I think this is why Vettel took the steering wheel. When it's not fixed on the car, the force neutral button doesn't work, and the marshals can't try to push the car around with a potentially compromised gearbox. Makes the lift to the recovery truck the only option, which is safer for the car.

Interesting and makes a lot of sense given that he initially left it and then thought twice and went back to the car to get it.

Watching the McLaren movie and lmao the synergy of Bruce McLaren's school nickname being "Cripple Kid" and the modern day McLaren Honda.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Khablam posted:

They do usually take them when they leave a car stranded.
I kinda doubt the FIA are going to rules-lawyer this and claim rule 541.3 applied in this case, not 127.2

The FIA seem to be incredibly lenient this year in anything that could have an impact on a close fought title race. I remain amazed they didn't throw the book at Vettel for Baku and based on that I wouldn't be surprised if Vettel's hosed gearbox is given a waiver of the 5 place grid penalty given the exceptional circumstances. You could argue that the precedent for that has been set as Haas were given a free pass on breaking curfew this weekend, perhaps.

I mean, I reckon he will eat a 5 place grid drop for it, but if he doesn't I wouldn't be surprised.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

it sucked

willcrouch
Jul 2, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Did you not watch Singapore?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Rancid Troll absent mindedly crashing into Shitbastion Shittle was an amazing end especially iwth Brundle's ".....what." when he was just staring at it.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

Rancid Troll absent mindedly crashing into Shitbastion Shittle was an amazing end especially iwth Brundle's ".....what." when he was just staring at it.

Proceed to suck the poo poo directly out of my rear end in a top hat, my dear fuckman. Stroll owns and just saved Ferrari the ignominy of an investigation over why they were burning fuel over 100kg/hr and why their new illegal steering wheel was not in their parked car.

STROWNS.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Lmao at this thread immediately blaming Vettel when he was involved in a crash with Stroll. Lance loving Stroll.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

keevo posted:

Lmao at this thread immediately blaming Vettel when he was involved in a crash with Stroll. Lance loving Stroll.

they both suck

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
As someone who thinks Vettel is a violent lunatic I absolve him of all blame in this particular incident.

Lance Stroll is a menace to society.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

it sucked

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

*Lewis throws wheel out of car in rage* "Oh poor lewis"

*cool and good vettel gets taxi ride and takes wheel with him "OH THATS NOT RIGHT HE IN TROUBLE" - Sky

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"Literally any dumb and/or bad stance that could possibly be conceived" - Sky

"HOW DARE THEY???" - this thread, every time

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

dentist toy box posted:

*Lewis throws wheel out of car in rage* "Oh poor lewis"

*cool and good vettel gets taxi ride and takes wheel with him "OH THATS NOT RIGHT HE IN TROUBLE" - Sky

When did Lewis do that? For a second I had this vision of him hurling a wheel of his car, like a Pirelli tire, on the track.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

mrfart posted:

When did Lewis do that? For a second I had this vision of him hurling a wheel of his car, like a Pirelli tire, on the track.

Didn't he do it last year after his car broke? I mean, after one of those times his car broke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

mrfart posted:

I think he did it at spain last year and Valencia in 2012, Like nice job being a babby and loving up a steering wheel that costs more than my car.

• Locked thread