Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Davincie posted:

wow the final ritual mission is disappointingly easy, fighting of all the ritual stacks before that was harder

Does the fourth ritual automatically start war with the other mains? Me and Tyrion are now at war with my former bud Mazdamundi out of nowhere.

Also do skaven get attack ambush like beastmen? They sallied at me and it was an ambush somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How are you guys having such trouble with other armies at sea? are you sailing your guys right up to a garrisoned enemy port and getting mad that they went out to get you?
To me it seems impossible to get caught by a enemy fleet except through carelessness, you have the line of sight to see any threats ahead of you and you can mouse over anything to move just outside their movement range and they will never be able to catch you because of march stance, on top of that the campaign bonuses you get from the salvage in the sea can give you even more movement and line of sight bonuses to make it even easier.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 1, 2017

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Davincie posted:

wow the final ritual mission is disappointingly easy, fighting of all the ritual stacks before that was harder

HaHAha. The College of Pyrotechnics is a steamtank division.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Does the fourth ritual automatically start war with the other mains? Me and Tyrion are now at war with my former bud Mazdamundi out of nowhere.

Also do skaven get attack ambush like beastmen? They sallied at me and it was an ambush somehow.

idk about the second q, but for the fourth every other race main faction was at perma war with me after i got there. i took a long rear end time consolidating though, so it might also have been territory based

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Skaven have a chance to ambush when attacking. This can be boosted in a general's blue line, it's pretty great.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Descar posted:

How do I get influence with High elves? it's very hard to come by ...

Nobles.

Even better, nobles with Emollient.
+1 public order all provinces
+5 local province
+5% income entertainment buildings in all provinces.

I just sit 10 of them around various enemy settlements spamming "secure influence"

It's about 60 of it a turn which pretty much fixed all my influence problems.

Mages get Entrepreneur
+3% Tax rate (factionwide)
+30% income from all buildings (local province)

Got 9 of those sitting in Tiranoc at the moment.
23k income from that single province.

Thus are the High Elven influence and Economy problems sorted out.

Loremasters are what go around with my armies. Loremasters with Medic can do a good job of making up for all your nobles being busy elsewhere.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Blinks77 posted:

Nobles.

+5 local province

I just sit 10 of them around various enemy settlements spamming "secure influence"

Mages get Entrepreneur

Loremasters are what go around with my armies. Loremasters with Medic can do a good job of making up for all your nobles being busy elsewhere.
poo poo, I didn't think those would stack locally. As ridiculously useful as I find my Khainite Assassins in battle, parking them in somewhere and increasing the local slave income sounds like it could be better. I really only need three for my heavy lifting stacks.

Also, it'd be really nice to be able to automate my mage hordes stealing tech, or to be able to garrison heroes so they could provide their passive bonus without triggering the "hero hasn't moved!" notification that sometimes I like and sometimes don't when I'm using Hags to purge the heretics.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Blinks77 posted:

Nobles.

+5 local province

Mages get Entrepreneur

:captainpop:

God drat, I know what I will be trying next. I've been missing the good ol' agent stacking in my lizzie campaign.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My Skaven unit feedback:

Slaves- excellent chaff unit that doesn't affect the leadership of the rest of your army. Slingers are also pretty good for the cost.

Clan Rats- Below average T1 infantry but they're also really cheap and your main unit for dwellers below. Combined with vernintide and menace below you can send up a lot of additional Swarms of rat men. Assuming research upgrades apply to the summons, you'll get a lot of mileage out of clanrat upgrades became you use them so much. I do find it tricky to decide between going bargain basement on units in the form of slaves or steady upgrade them. I'm not sure if shields or spears really do very much of a differnce for such flimsy units.

Stormvermin- The best standard infantry with actual armor protecting them, but for the cost and upkeep it might not be worth bothering, I'm not sure. The Halberd ones at least give you some protection against cavalry and monsters but there's no shortage of cheaper rats to serve as ablative shielding.

Gutter/Night/Death runners- Great annoying skirmish infantry that seem useful vs slow gullible targets like saurus or dinos. Slinger versions just seem like upgraded slave Slingers, so I'm not sure if it's worth it. Poison versions make the gimmick even better, and the upgraded ones also get melee defense which will make them nice vs other anti infantry light units.

Rat Ogres/Hellpit Abomination:The Ogres function similar to trolls. They wreck stuff in melee but have pretty low leadership. The Abomination is nice but I had assumed something so cronenberged would be fearless but apparently it's not, which is a real bummer. Leadership is definitely something all Skaven units need to contend with.

Plague Monks/censers- Poison is a good force multiplier and combining it with armor piercing on the censers could allow you to chew into dangerous heavy infantry. Frenzy is kind of wasted on units with iffy leadership since you can lose our easily but it's still solid in combination with everything else.

Poison/Death Wind Globadiers/warp fire throwers- Poison globes are decent for damaging large units and seem comparable to troll hammer torpedo irondrakes, with the advantage of unlocking them way faster. Haven't tried death wind yet but warp fire throwers are devastating and definitely something you want in your armies.

Plagueclaw catapult/warp lightning cannon/Doomwheel- The catapult wrecks leadership making it like a Gob Lobber RoR unit. Warp lightning like others described is like having a squad of luminarks firing as rapidly as cannons. Supported by an engineer they'll snipe large flyers and dangerous units easily. The Doom wheel basically shoots the warp lightning gun at short ranges and functions as a chariot. It's gun shares the upgrades as the other warp weapons/artillery making it really nasty if you micro it well.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 1, 2017

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Lizardman campaign has taught me to Rock out with my Kroq out

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah I think that's enough for me until we get mods.

Most importantly, I really want to mod out Intervention Armies ( incredibly stupid ), and fix the "higher upkeep on higher difficulties" thing going on.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

What are people's Mid-Late game DElf armies looking like?

I'm trying to find a reason not to go with Malekith, 4 Cold One Dread Lords and 15 War Hydras.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
How are people building their Malekith on Legendary? Tyrant has some pretty massive econ buffs but most of them require you to stay put in a province you're building up, which feels very limiting. Though the slave improvements are pretty massive too and those would work for a more offensive playstyle, or even just rebellion farming.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Blinks77 posted:

Mages get Entrepreneur

Every game I tell myself I won't gently caress up and forget about heroes and every single game I do, god damnit. Didn't Vampires in TW1 have this trick also?

Do the other factions have equivalents for money-making?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Anyone else have some quests for LL items not start? In my Mazdamundi campaign I never got the quest for his second item, and I just started a Malekith campaign and his first quest didn't start (though the advisor still started talking about it).

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Pierson posted:

Every game I tell myself I won't gently caress up and forget about heroes and every single game I do, god damnit. Didn't Vampires in TW1 have this trick also?

Do the other factions have equivalents for money-making?

I'm not sure. The thing is that mages don't actually get anything as of themselves that allow for this. It's purely a result of the entrepreneur trait which costs 40 influence each time. Basically leveraging High Elven broken as poo poo traits for maximum bullshit.

Staltran posted:

Anyone else have some quests for LL items not start? In my Mazdamundi campaign I never got the quest for his second item, and I just started a Malekith campaign and his first quest didn't start (though the advisor still started talking about it).

Tyrions armour quest never fired for me.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Just checked the files and the black arc unit entry is just a level 1 sword+crossbow lord that would also get any black arc specific traits/skills/etc. The bombardments are likely the majority of its kills. I think the first thing I'm going to try is changing it to a unit of 2-3 level 1 sword+crossbow lords. That likely tilts its auto-resolve without making it an annoyance to take out with concentrated effort or at least not any more concentrated effort than should be needed to take out a naval fortress rather than the current "even if it's full of units it dies to half-stacks with leveled generals/heroes in them". Either way, I suspect they'll fix this in the future by actually giving the black arc a unique unit entry in the land_units table but that sounds like a harder thing to find a good balance on to me than just doubling or tripling the number of lords it's treated as, so at the very least it won't be erased by AI stacks with more lords/heroes in them.

Another potential issue I see is that delves get a bunch of slave decline help, to the tune of -60% for legendary and -50% for very hard. If slave decline is additive instead of multiplicative then I think they'd hit -100% after building a slave building which probably helps explain why they've snowballed in every game I've played, usually to my benefit rather than detriment. Might want to just make it so they'd never build the building which should also give them another slot for recruitment stuff. Possibly increase the bonus in that case as well, just so long as 0% reduction is off the table as a thing they could get. I doubt there's a cap on it internally given the track record they've had with stuff like unit upkeep during first implementation.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, is it just me or do lizardmen kinda stink in multiplayer? 3 out of 4 factions are heavy on archers and siege and the lizardmen seem to have a lack of counters to both of them they trash their expensive, rampaging, low range units.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

why does everyone hate me as teclis? Is there a way to stop it?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Helion posted:

All I want is a standalone game that takes the Rome 2 map and adds the Warham factions as playable. If only to see the twcenter reaction.

I want them to add greenskins to Total War: Arena

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I wish little event cutscenes didnt turn into a crappy sepia still. Some of them are really pretty and atmospheric but you only have a few seconds to admire it.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Skaven food tip: You can raid ruined provinces and still get the +3 food. Just raze a province somewhere defendable and drop as many lords with slaves as desired.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Rookersh posted:

Yeah I think that's enough for me until we get mods.

Most importantly, I really want to mod out Intervention Armies ( incredibly stupid ), and fix the "higher upkeep on higher difficulties" thing going on.

You can mod the game, just the workshop is disabled. I'm already using a skill point mod and while I haven't tried it the Steel Faith Overhaul group already has a release for Warhammer 2.

--------------------------

In other news, how in the hell are you supposed to Skaven? I had no trouble early on, I gained control the initial province, skipped over to kill the elves next to the other Skaven and the ones across the water on the island, and managed to kill the first lizardman just north of you when they stupidly rolled out of their capital to take on the other skaven who went over to salvage the ruins. But that is it, hard road block now.

Basically I can field a full army of decent units (mostly Clanrats and slingers, with Rat Ogres, my initial Stormvermin, and two artillery pieces forming the actual power) and a full army of skavenslaves as backup. But even with that I can't take on anyone surrounding me. I mean I can get around them and take out their towns, and if I engage one full stack with both mine in the field I can beat it just barely. However the losses take so long to recover from that the AI has already rebuilt back to full strength. And if I fight over a castle, even if they sally forth, the extra reinforcements are too much. Even focusing on Clanrat boosts (research and leader skills) a single Lizardman can hold the line against 3 Clanrats, even when surrounding them with the flank and rear attack bonus. The only way I've been able to win those field fights is by using my unit advantage to lock down everything they've got in place and then drop my general, assassin, and rat ogres on top of the enemy general to force him of the field.

I'm at the point where I can finally build up at least Stormvermin, which I imagine will make a difference but then I'm spending dozens of turns running back, disbanding and recruiting, and then getting back to the fight. And that is just super frustrating, all in the interest of killing basic troops. I have to be missing something, or maybe just suck, but I don't even know how to improve at this point.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
12 fully buffed max rank clan rats units plus a poo poo ton of artillery gets things done. Bring one or two engineers for their buffs.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The two rites can help soften up tough enemies. The engineer one wrecks a city so you can devastate it right before attacking to make it easier to conquer. The Plague one can cause attrition to enemy armies and you can try to time it so you engage them right when it wears off so you don't catch hit Plague yourself.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Panfilo posted:

The two rites can help soften up tough enemies. The engineer one wrecks a city so you can devastate it right before attacking to make it easier to conquer. The Plague one can cause attrition to enemy armies and you can try to time it so you engage them right when it wears off so you don't catch hit Plague yourself.

What do they actually do? This is one of the things I'd appreciate them giving more details for. I assume the engineer cracks all the walls and destroys the buildings? Does the plague just gently caress up everything in a settlement or a whole province?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Man I guess Cold One Riders are maintaining the proud Boar Boyz tradition of looking badass but actually being a terrible unit.

Or I'm just not using them right.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

peer posted:

Man I guess Cold One Riders are maintaining the proud Boar Boyz tradition of looking badass but actually being a terrible unit.

Nope, I never found a good use for them either. Shame!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

peer posted:

Dark Elf or Lizardmen variety?

The Lizard ones haven't impressed me overly. Maybe Horned Ones will work better? They seem to get tore up remarkably easily.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

nessin posted:

You can mod the game, just the workshop is disabled. I'm already using a skill point mod and while I haven't tried it the Steel Faith Overhaul group already has a release for Warhammer 2.

--------------------------

In other news, how in the hell are you supposed to Skaven? I had no trouble early on, I gained control the initial province, skipped over to kill the elves next to the other Skaven and the ones across the water on the island, and managed to kill the first lizardman just north of you when they stupidly rolled out of their capital to take on the other skaven who went over to salvage the ruins. But that is it, hard road block now.

Basically I can field a full army of decent units (mostly Clanrats and slingers, with Rat Ogres, my initial Stormvermin, and two artillery pieces forming the actual power) and a full army of skavenslaves as backup. But even with that I can't take on anyone surrounding me. I mean I can get around them and take out their towns, and if I engage one full stack with both mine in the field I can beat it just barely. However the losses take so long to recover from that the AI has already rebuilt back to full strength. And if I fight over a castle, even if they sally forth, the extra reinforcements are too much. Even focusing on Clanrat boosts (research and leader skills) a single Lizardman can hold the line against 3 Clanrats, even when surrounding them with the flank and rear attack bonus. The only way I've been able to win those field fights is by using my unit advantage to lock down everything they've got in place and then drop my general, assassin, and rat ogres on top of the enemy general to force him of the field.

I'm at the point where I can finally build up at least Stormvermin, which I imagine will make a difference but then I'm spending dozens of turns running back, disbanding and recruiting, and then getting back to the fight. And that is just super frustrating, all in the interest of killing basic troops. I have to be missing something, or maybe just suck, but I don't even know how to improve at this point.

Have a link to where I can get this mod? Lacking extra skill points is making me be a baby and not play while I wait on the workshop.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Captain Oblivious posted:

Dark Elf or Lizardmen variety?

The Lizard ones haven't impressed me overly. Maybe Horned Ones will work better? They seem to get tore up remarkably easily.

Lizards, I haven't tried the elf version. I think maaaybe the elves might be better (or higher-tier, anyway) even though that unit is comprised of only 50% dinosaurs as opposed to the 100% of the lizardmen variant

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
People don't seem too impressed with witch elves, but I've been using them in their infantry blender role and they're awesome. Once they string together a few kills and murderous whatever kicks in they just churn through dudes like there's no tomorrow.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Eimi posted:

Have a link to where I can get this mod? Lacking extra skill points is making me be a baby and not play while I wait on the workshop.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?758767-RSG-MODS-for-Total-War-Warhammer-II

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Thanks!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone noticed that in Queek's Warp Shard's Armor your artillery pieces are able to fire during Queek's speech?

It pretty much ends the battle as soon as it begins.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Mans posted:

Anyone noticed that in Queek's Warp Shard's Armor your artillery pieces are able to fire during Queek's speech?

It pretty much ends the battle as soon as it begins.

A strong-smart Skaven knows to hit the foe-things while they're not-not looking!

That's actually hilarious.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

genericnick posted:

HaHAha. The College of Pyrotechnics is a steamtank division.

College of Pyrotechnics from what I've seen fields a mix of Steam Tanks, Helstorm Rockets and Outriders with grenade launchers. I've seen one variant with six loving Steamtanks and a few of the other ones. I've also seen a variant with 18 loving Helstorm rocket batteries. That opening salvo was pretty loving spectacular. :supaburn:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

peer posted:

Lizards, I haven't tried the elf version. I think maaaybe the elves might be better (or higher-tier, anyway) even though that unit is comprised of only 50% dinosaurs as opposed to the 100% of the lizardmen variant

I've had some pretty good success with Terradons as my go to ranged unit/artillery killers but uh...yeah.

Cold Ones! They're not great. I'm gonna give Horned Ones a try but if that doesn't pan out I think it's time for operation gently caress It Just Use More Stegadons.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My only complaint so far is that roads should be something you can upgrade independent of taking up a building slot in each city and that the visuals should improve from dirt to stone or gold or skull paved depending on the faction like in the older total wars.

On another note, I peaked the undeads new road building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One thing I think would of fit in well would of been adding little dungeons of treasure guarded by armies that you could enter by walking up to them like a quest battle as a way to get gold/experience without declaring war.