Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

The correct answer is agnarr velious is coming up and it's one if the best video game experiences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Doggir posted:

The correct answer is agnarr velious is coming up and it's one if the best video game experiences

You are going to be sooo dissapointed.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Phinigel had 6 months of PoP and the population tanked till GoD came out.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Krazuel posted:

You are going to be sooo dissapointed.

Have to echo this. I know people playing on Agnarr are looking forward to Velious, and play what you want in the end, but I have a feeling a lot of people aren't going to enjoy MOTM Kael, ToV, and Sleeper's Tomb.

There's a reason people on Phinigel tried to find ways to skip fighting some of the dragons for instance... Enjoy the million health dragon that spin stuns and DoTs you 10 seconds out of every 15 and its more or less impossible to resist. Or Vulak, who has 2.4 million and you have to dodge the slow AE every 60 seconds.

MOTM is the worst mechanic they've ever come up with, even beating out the scripts that made Vertigo in PoR a loving disaster. It doesn't make any of the fights harder, just intolerably long.

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012

Baconroll posted:

Oh Phinny I'm having a lot of fun single grouping the mini-named in Anguish. No complex mechanics but you do need a very solid tank and a healer (or 2) who are quick on the mark as even with defensive the damage can be very spikey.

Getting a 150hp aug without paying any dkp is very nice !

I really don't know whether any SK or Pally could currently single group tank these reliably - maybe with 3 spam healers.

The minis really have quite low HPs so you don't need a lot of dps.

What's the lockout time if you get the instance just for he mini named? Does it matter if you are on loot lockout from all the raid targets?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, our first Lady Nev attempt was like 45. Vulak was like 30. They eventually got down to about 25 for us.

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
Lady nev was the worst. I think our first fight was over an hour. Some tips for her are if you sit down right before her ae goes off you can stand up and continue to dps without the spin. Rangers can also stand waaaaaay back down the hallway out of range of the ae and plink arrows at her too.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Hoohah posted:

Have to echo this. I know people playing on Agnarr are looking forward to Velious, and play what you want in the end, but I have a feeling a lot of people aren't going to enjoy MOTM Kael, ToV, and Sleeper's Tomb.

There's a reason people on Phinigel tried to find ways to skip fighting some of the dragons for instance... Enjoy the million health dragon that spin stuns and DoTs you 10 seconds out of every 15 and its more or less impossible to resist. Or Vulak, who has 2.4 million and you have to dodge the slow AE every 60 seconds.

MOTM is the worst mechanic they've ever come up with, even beating out the scripts that made Vertigo in PoR a loving disaster. It doesn't make any of the fights harder, just intolerably long.

There was one raid night where we had a reduced raid force, I think we spent an hour and a half kill Vulak. I musta fallen asleep like 4 times during the fight. That was pretty much the catalyst for me quitting, lol.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Lockout on anguish Aug runs is two hours and boss lockout doesn't matter except for the two hours or so before guild raid

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
My guild on Agnarr is currently doing VP, but without much focus on it.
We lots of people are semi active but do plan on getting busy again for Velious/Luclin/Pop. That's great content for the next 9 months.

After that? yeah population will eventually decline, but it should also be around the time that Pantheon or Camelot Unchained hopefully go into Playable Beta so we can move on.

If you need help starting up on Agnarr send me a tell (to Cabbie)
Our guild is actively recruiting most classes, and we raid 4 days per week from 8 to 11 CET (eurotime)

Next TLP they should start with Classic/Kunark released for like 15 weeks, then do velious, luclin, PoP, Yk+LDoN for 10 weeks each, and then give us NEW level 65cap content every 6 months, without ever increasing the level cap.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Krazuel posted:

Lockout on anguish Aug runs is two hours and boss lockout doesn't matter except for the two hours or so before guild raid

Yep - Normally get 2 or 3 minis pop. In theory you can get 5 but never see more than 3. By the time you've killed the minis its about 90 mins before you can do it again.

Did 4 runs on Sunday and got a bunch of Augs.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Try to get a regular group of the same people for anguish augs. This makes it easier later on to not be screwing each other later. 9/11 augs!

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Planning for Velious launch, is there a list of stuff to do day one? Plate cycle? WW farming? Kinda need help with a direction. I know its in a month but it will give me hope...

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

FranktheBank posted:

Planning for Velious launch, is there a list of stuff to do day one? Plate cycle? WW farming? Kinda need help with a direction. I know its in a month but it will give me hope...

If you are in a raiding guild you'll most likely be rushing either straight to AoW or NToV. Otherwise yeah Plate Cycle or WW spells would be decent paths to push towards. Alternatively starting work on Coldain ring or shawl. Maybe be able to make bank selling that kunark poison used in the ring, or farming and selling giant heads for faction.

If you are a melee who needs a haste clicky and you don't have other commitments being the first one to kill stormfeather would be big ups towards the mask. I think it was like 24 hours +- 3(6?) hours or some poo poo on Phinny, I sat there for 3 days straight until I was finally awake when it spawned, also lodizal (4 hour timer ish).

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
How does plate cycle work on TLPs? Does the trigger dude spawn in every pick? Is it just dps racing the final giant?

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

FranktheBank posted:

How does plate cycle work on TLPs? Does the trigger dude spawn in every pick? Is it just dps racing the final giant?

Ehh well the point behind doing the plate cycle generally is just its a respawnable event with high level giants that drop armor without you having to crawl across the zone. Its also part of the 9th ring event. You do it for the chance to get armor quest pieces to drop mostly though. People might train you to get you to leave so they can take it over idk. Oh yeah the royal kromriff blood might sell for a pretty penny at first, but will quickly dive in price.

No idea on picks, but I imagine so.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I was browsing twitch the other day and had my mind completely blown in half to find that my old raid guild now streams their raids. I left this guild of lovely people in disgust and never touched everquest again sometime around 2006, and apparently they are somehow still going, with a few of the same people. They were fighting sarnaks, for some reason? I guess whoever in charge nowadays isn't very creative.

So I was watching the stream and they engaged a raid boss, and it looked like a boring fight with no mechanics so after about a minute I got up to make lunch. Do my thing, come back 25 minutes later all like "oh yeah I was watching twitch" and they were fighting the same boss, which was now at around 6% health.

Some of the familiar names on the stream have now been playing everquest for close to 20 years. I used to raid with them in velious and we'd call Tigole an idiot shithead to his face. To see them still at it is like an ugly, repugnant timewarp.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Ad by Khad posted:

I was browsing twitch the other day and had my mind completely blown in half to find that my old raid guild now streams their raids. I left this guild of lovely people in disgust and never touched everquest again sometime around 2006, and apparently they are somehow still going, with a few of the same people. They were fighting sarnaks, for some reason? I guess whoever in charge nowadays isn't very creative.

So I was watching the stream and they engaged a raid boss, and it looked like a boring fight with no mechanics so after about a minute I got up to make lunch. Do my thing, come back 25 minutes later all like "oh yeah I was watching twitch" and they were fighting the same boss, which was now at around 6% health.

Some of the familiar names on the stream have now been playing everquest for close to 20 years. I used to raid with them in velious and we'd call Tigole an idiot shithead to his face. To see them still at it is like an ugly, repugnant timewarp.

I thought Legacy of Steel's updates were the funniest thing back then. Was Tigole a dick in your experience?

I wonder if he still works on WoW.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Node posted:

I thought Legacy of Steel's updates were the funniest thing back then. Was Tigole a dick in your experience?

I wonder if he still works on WoW.

He was the main guy behind Titan, and is now the main guy behind Overwatch. Jeff Kaplan memes are pretty much everywhere.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Wait, Jeff Kaplan is Tigole? How did I not know this...

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Well he technically no longer uses the name "Tigole Bitties". But that's him.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ad by Khad posted:

Well he technically no longer uses the name "Tigole Bitties". But that's him.

Holy poo poo.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Dang did you guys live under a rock? :P

Here's another Holy poo poo for you: Furor from <Fires of Heaven> is Alex Afrasiabi in real life, and was another überguild leader who worked on WoW from the beginning.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Alex_Afrasiabi

Yeah he looks pretty douchy.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

I miss the ability to tell Furor his fanfiction is garbage.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Pilsner posted:

Dang did you guys live under a rock? :P

Here's another Holy poo poo for you: Furor from <Fires of Heaven> is Alex Afrasiabi in real life, and was another überguild leader who worked on WoW from the beginning.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Alex_Afrasiabi

Yeah he looks pretty douchy.

I knew about Furor, I didn't know Tigole did anything beyond working on WoW.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Ad by Khad posted:

I miss the ability to tell Furor his fanfiction is garbage.

His rant posts were Grade-A shitter reading material.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I can't wait for EQ Next to come out

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

RCarr posted:

I can't wait for EQ Next to come out

You are literally correct, as it's cancelled, so you cannot wait for it. :D

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Pilsner posted:

You are literally correct, as it's cancelled, so you cannot wait for it. :D

You can wait for something that will never happen. For instance, millions of people are waiting for the rapture to happen. :smug: *strokes neckbeard*

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
EQ Next was vaporware to get someone (DBG) to buy the IP. :tinfoil:

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
By the way, someone did god's work and rehosted the old legacy of steel website (http://legacyofsteel.net/#/home)

You can scroll down and read all of Tigole's old posts if you want, including the announcement of his taking on a job as a quest designer for WoW.

What I didn't know until today is that the Legacy of Steel GM before Tigole was a legacy Blizzard employee, along with a few other members. They're the ones who recruited him and I think that group subsequently recruited Furor. I was always under the impression that Blizzard went out and got those guys just for the sake of having two of the more influential EQ community members on board but without a prior relationship.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

The old saying goes,

"Legacy of Steel is a Blizzard guild"

Pardo ran the thing and it had quite a few blizzard people.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

It made a lot of sense to hire some top EQ guild leaders, to ensure that WoW could properly siphon all of EQ's players. And it worked.

I guess people look back with dread on the original WoW raids, but I still think there was lots of fun, both in MC, BWL, AQ40 and Onyxia. It certainly was a ridiculous step up in organization and variety than EQ. I also remember Furor being particularly pissed at all the broken quests in EQ, whereas almost every quest in WoW worked.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Also helps that WoW even with the epic-ish quests they put in for classes later the challenge was in doing them mainly and not doing them while trying to figure out which person in bumfuck nowhere wanted your quest item at a horrible risk of getting your quest progress eaten if it's incorrect. Or finding the magic words that the NPC wants if they even work at all.

Sure it's a lot more sterile and contained nowadays but I certainly didn't envy people doing those quests for the first time.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I loved old skool Molten Core, BWL and AQ raids.
Naxxramas 40, was awesome but much too hard for most guilds. (In era I only completed two wings, which is more then most people can say).

Outland had some truly challenging raids too, YOU ARE NOT PREPARED, remember?

But that was all after Planes of Power, in which EQ had already demonstrated they could make some interesting encounters too.
They just had much less "don't stand in the fire" mechanics.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I always liked EQ more than WoW because it felt like whatever I was doing in EQ mattered more, whereas in WoW my progress was invalidated by the next patch/expansion.

In EQ I could go farm an FBSS and use it til PoP and that was a-okay with me.

That and EQ just had way more world-building. NPCs that were used for stuff instead of just vendors and quest givers.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Vanilla wow raids were garbage, even by EQ standards.

I laughed really really hard when my EQ guild lost 120 people to wow and a solid 80 of them came back because of how bad MC and BWL were. Followed up by AQ40 which is to this day the worst raid blizzard has ever made.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Are the restrictions for the F2P silver account still active - can you only play 4 classes? Is it even worth starting up again if you're not interested in paying for the gold sub?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
It's become less restrictive but you're really going to want to sub at least for a month for AAs. There's autogrant up to about level 100 which for most classes is about 10k AAs. Plus you don't get access to good mercs without gold and apprentice mercs suck rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
So if I don't want to subscribe until later, would I still only be able to choose from the 4 classes? Or could I level a warrior until December, subscribe gold, and then change my lv30 warrior into a lv30 shadowknight?

Or am I just stuck with the 4 classes until I sub?