Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
my new invention is a hot air balloon to be towed around by a self-driving car while the car's owner floats serenely overhead, it will disrupt both transport and navigation and cause countless deaths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/913936019832971269

Well that's a hell of a thing.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Credit Karma had free tax returns this last season. No disasters yet AFAICT.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/29/technology/uber-travis-kalanick-board.html

This video recorded yesterday of Kalanick in the Uber Board Room:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKMNPQ35OUc

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
The actual appointees seem… not awful? Certainly not the kind of appointee I expect from Kalanick, given that they have experience with things like actual corporate governance and securities law and such and seem like the types who will actually agree with some of the other board members over him.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

eschaton posted:

The actual appointees seem… not awful? Certainly not the kind of appointee I expect from Kalanick, given that they have experience with things like actual corporate governance and securities law and such and seem like the types who will actually agree with some of the other board members over him.

Ursula Burns is pretty good, Thain has had questionable judgment in the past. Remember he's the dude who spent north of $1MM refurbishing his office and a couple rooms after a massive bailout and forced merger following the mortgage crisis. He's not dumb, he understands how to run a company and he is highly unlikely to contribute to the problems Uber has been having - but he's no prince either.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LinYutang posted:

Credit Karma had free tax returns this last season. No disasters yet AFAICT.

You mean except for all the people that immediately recognized it cocked their taxes up so they stopped and used something else?

I remember reading tons of incidences of this around tax season this year.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
My results were the same as TurboTax, I ran them both through. I picked the free one.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
turbotax is free unless you're rich enough to itemize and then you should use a cpa anyway

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

"Rich enough" to itemize includes pretty much any single person making more than $100k in California.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Steve French posted:

"Rich enough" to itemize includes pretty much any single person making more than $100k in California.

So get a cpa with your $100k.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

fishmech posted:

So get a cpa with your $100k.

But why

Like if you are itemizing sure you can probably afford one, but it doesn't mean you'd actually benefit enough to justify the added expense.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
My plan is to undercut the existing commercial services for the whole level below itemization, then sell off to the government for pennies, to absolutely kill off the lobbying that prevents the IRS handling taxes for 95% of Americans.

Next I need to figure out how to similarly disrupt the school choice movement and fix school resegregation. Bussr.

I don't understand what this means.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 2, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Discendo Vox posted:

My plan is to undercut the existing commercial services for the whole level below itemization, then sell off to the government for pennies, to absolutely kill off the lobbying that prevents the IRS handling taxes for 95% of Americans.

Next I need to figure out how to similarly disrupt the school choice movement and fix school resegregation. Bussr.

Diversity school tax credits. You're welcome.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Steve French posted:

But why

Like if you are itemizing sure you can probably afford one, but it doesn't mean you'd actually benefit enough to justify the added expense.

Because you can obviously afford it with your six-figure income? The IRS program to try to ensure there's free filing capability is intended for people with $62,000 a year income or less, essentially 125% the median household income in this country, and a lot of the companies' offerings cut off below that, closer to the median household income. You're well outside that range and the free version of these tax programs only exist at all through IRS armtwisting, they'd happily charge everyone the whole $80 a year every year (I think that's the full featured TurboTax for home use) if they could get away with it.

The software simply isn't as capable as a trained tax attorney is of recognizing when some deduction you try to take is bullshit, and obviously if you do too many things wrong you're going to be liable for audits and all sorts of penalties. You can't be thinking of it in terms of "he's saving me $x,000 this year", it's about "he's potentially saving me from having my life made a living hell by audits because I misunderstood what I could take".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Steve French posted:

But why

For any individual year - you probably won't benefit from the actual tax preparation. But any decent CPA will discuss goals with you can come up with strategies to maximize tax savings for future years. This is a relationship, not a service you use once a year and then pick someone else the following year.

You probably aren't even aware of 100% legitimate things you could be doing to save on your taxes. The tax code is that (intentionally) complicated so to me it makes sense to go to someone who's job it is to know that and keep up to date on it.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

To be clear: I was putting forth a hypothetical young single person living in CA with a stupidly simple tax situation that would want to itemize solely because their state income tax exceeds the standard deduction.

I was not describing *my* situation, which is a good bit more complex and I probably should talk to a CPA!

My point was that the tradeoff between Turbo Tax and CPA has more to do with tax complexity than it does level of income, and there are a significant number of people who itemize deductions with stupidly simple tax situations.

Motronic, your point is taken, though it applies as well to people who don't itemize deductions

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i grow to an immense size and fart a pyroclastic cloud that lays waste to silicon valley and ushers in a new golden age of mankind now that all the nerds are dead

Morbus
May 18, 2004

the old ceremony posted:

i grow to an immense size and fart a pyroclastic cloud that lays waste to silicon valley and ushers in a new golden age of mankind now that all the nerds are dead

Halfway there...

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

fishmech posted:

Because you can obviously afford it with your six-figure income? The IRS program to try to ensure there's free filing capability is intended for people with $62,000 a year income or less, essentially 125% the median household income in this country,

Don't ever have kids. Not some sort of :iceburn:, but those free-file programs are like "ooh, more than 2 dependents? cough up $15 for the deluxe version!"

The leasing talk yesterday reminded me of an industry that could use some shaking up. Introducing 'dealr', where you pay what the dealer pays! dealr hires independent contractors to go to auto auctions and find the car you're looking for, then bid on it up to the price you set! You pay what you bid + a modest transaction fee.

I've bought a few cars that way, but obviously the old boy's club loves shutting them out whenever they can. It's generally done by small lots who are hurting and could use those extra sales.

I don't think it's viable for a number of reasons, even if you ignore the fact that every dealer in every state will instantly call their pocket congressman to get it outlawed at every level.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I make between 62.5K and 100K so tell me what to do

Right now I use the H&R Block Software, is there anything I could be missing out by using that?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

actionjackson posted:

I make between 62.5K and 100K so tell me what to do

Right now I use the H&R Block Software, is there anything I could be missing out by using that?

Yeah, you could be using TurboTax and trying to deduct your entire house and two telsas as business expenses

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Maybe we can build an app to find candidates who want to fill one of Uber's many vacant positions! :haw:

Exclusive: Uber's UK boss quits as firm battles to keep London license - email

quote:

Uber’s Northern European Manager Jo Bertram will leave the firm in the next few weeks, according to an email sent to staff seen by Reuters. She said the firm, valued at around $70 billion, needed a replacement in the region to tackle the issues it faces.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of Uber, thing's been pretty quiet here but lately the regular cabbies started going nuts. There were some attacks on Uber drivers and finally they set up a roadblock on the main road to the airport. I wonder why. Oh wait, a newspaper did a test just a week ago and taxis were up to twice more expensive to go city->airport and up to 3 times more in the opposite direction because they have a monopoly there.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I'm sure that's it and the airport doesn't charge a fee for being able to enter the taxi queue, which Uber/co don't pay since they just skip it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Well, it's not like Uber isn't disrupting a monopoly, which is good. It's just a shame they're going about it in the manner that they are.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mozi posted:

Well, it's not like Uber isn't disrupting a monopoly, which is good. It's just a shame they're going about it in the manner that they are.

i dunno if disrupting is the proper word, more like replacing since they want to be the monopoly themselves

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of Uber, thing's been pretty quiet here but lately the regular cabbies started going nuts. There were some attacks on Uber drivers and finally they set up a roadblock on the main road to the airport. I wonder why. Oh wait, a newspaper did a test just a week ago and taxis were up to twice more expensive to go city->airport and up to 3 times more in the opposite direction because they have a monopoly there.

A lot of that is probably the airport charging a fee to discourage the use of taxis and decrease congestion at the airport.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Besides Lyft there are a lot of homegrown competitors around the world.

I think my point is really that the taxi industry by and large was so ripe for being shaken up that it was going to happen eventually, and it's just unfortunate it had to be Uber to do it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

A lot of that is probably the airport charging a fee to discourage the use of taxis and decrease congestion at the airport.
Well yeah but why do normal people have to pay for this racket? It's literally cheaper for me to fly from here to London than to take a taxi from the airport to the city.

And yeah I don't mean necessarily to endorse Uber. Although a friend of mine drove for them here and had no complaints and neither do I as a user. But there are some local competitors starting up too that will hopefully have a more sensible culture.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Well yeah but why do normal people have to pay for this racket? It's literally cheaper for me to fly from here to London than to take a taxi from the airport to the city.

Because they want you to take the train out of the airport.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
I really doubt the price difference is due to airport surcharges. Uber really is a lot cheaper than taxis on a per mile / per minute basis. A lot of that is because they subsidize the rides, but that doesn't really matter to the consumer getting the cheaper ride. I have completely stopped using taxis and only use Lyft / Uber now if I need a taxi just because of how much cheaper and convenient they are.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

There's no train.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

hobbesmaster posted:

...are you not American, there are like ten airports with trains out of them in the entire goddamn nation.

(this is probably false but there's no way there's more than twenty or so and most of those are going to be on the East Coast)

e: like seriously, if you had said "the bus" this would still have been a red flag for me but "the train" is at least ten times less plausible.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...are you not American, there are like ten airports with trains out of them in the entire goddamn nation.

(this is probably false but there's no way there's more than twenty or so and most of those are going to be on the East Coast)

e: like seriously, if you had said "the bus" this would still have been a red flag for me but "the train" is at least ten times less plausible.

Last time I checked London wasn't in the US

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I misread that "to London" as implying you were talking about Heathrow/Gatwick.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mozi posted:

Besides Lyft there are a lot of homegrown competitors around the world.

I think my point is really that the taxi industry by and large was so ripe for being shaken up that it was going to happen eventually, and it's just unfortunate it had to be Uber to do it.

the expensive taxi monopoly needed to be disrupted ... by a company that's much cheaper via a combination of underpaid labor and dumping VC money ... which they acquired because their explicit business plan was to become the new monopoly

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Moatman posted:

Last time I checked London wasn't in the US
IT'S ME

I'm the moron :shobon:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

the expensive taxi monopoly needed to be disrupted ... by a company that's much cheaper via a combination of underpaid labor and dumping VC money ... which they acquired because their explicit business plan was to become the new monopoly

The taxi monopoly was ripe for disruption because it existed on rent-seeking while delivering poor quality at high prices.

I don't really understand the point you're making with the rest of it. Uber is bad? OK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mozi posted:

The taxi monopoly was ripe for disruption because it existed on rent-seeking while delivering poor quality at high prices.

Wrong in everything except possibly the poor quality. Taxis in almost all locales have regulated / mandated prices, as part of their license to operate. That license covers all those little things that Uber doesn't feel like paying for, such as background checks and way better insurance than personal car insurance. They're not rent-seeking. They're paying for their externalities.