Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Stymie posted:

pre-bent for your convenience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I tried re-encoding a movie from h.264 to h.265 with weede catte. I used Quicktime because it was the only thing I could find that used my MBP's hardware h.265 encoder.

Input: 2.96 GB
Output: 5.4 GB

:downsbravo:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol you need settings

coke
Jul 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

what's wrong with intel basebands? works for me

it's second rated compare to the best baseband that is qualcomm because tim and margins

also see the ever expanding iphone 8 and most likely the iphone x batteries

supposedly it's because loving dumb idiot tim is using lg chem and SDI, you know, the same SDI battery maker that made the exploding note 7

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The Management posted:

I tried re-encoding a movie from h.264 to h.265 with weede catte. I used Quicktime because it was the only thing I could find that used my MBP's hardware h.265 encoder.

holy poo poo! it added details! hair force one does it again

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

coke posted:

it's second rated compare to the best baseband that is qualcomm because tim and margins

also see the ever expanding iphone 8 and most likely the iphone x batteries

supposedly it's because loving dumb idiot tim is using lg chem and SDI, you know, the same SDI battery maker that made the exploding note 7

and why is qualcomm the best again? i use intel baseband based radios (telit) every day and they work for me :shrug:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

The Management posted:

i thought there was literally no support for hardware h265 encoding at this point, at least with intel gpus. maybe i dreamt it, though i find it hard to believe the reality is somehow less of a shitshow

i handbraked a few wmvs i (somehow) had lying around over to h265 in order to somehow jusitfy installing a beta operating system. for some reason wanted to use quicktime player for the first time in like 15+ years, and wasn't encoding my 100GB 10-bit anime fansub rips so plopped them in an mp4 container. turns out quicktime requires some bespoke artisanal mp4 container because it choked on them. probably holding it wrong tho

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

i thought there was literally no support for hardware h265 encoding at this point, at least with intel gpus. maybe i dreamt it, though i find it hard to believe the reality is somehow less of a shitshow

i handbraked a few wmvs i (somehow) had lying around over to h265 in order to somehow jusitfy installing a beta operating system. for some reason wanted to use quicktime player for the first time in like 15+ years, and wasn't encoding my 100GB 10-bit anime fansub rips so plopped them in an mp4 container. turns out quicktime requires some bespoke artisanal mp4 container because it choked on them. probably holding it wrong tho

I thought it was in Kaby lake but apparently not

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Generic Monk posted:

high sierra plays hvc1 h265 mp4s while handbrake and ffmpeg only create hev1 h265 mp4s
ffmpeg can convert an hev1 h265 mp4 into an hvc1 h265 mov without reencoding, but can't make hvc1 h265 mp4s
the magic command is
code:
ffmpeg -i infile.mp4 -c: copy -tag:v hvc1 outfile.mov
:toot: #codeclife :toot:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

high sierra plays hvc1 h265 mp4s while handbrake and ffmpeg only create hev1 h265 mp4s
ffmpeg can convert an hev1 h265 mp4 into an hvc1 h265 mov without reencoding, but can't make hvc1 h265 mp4s
the magic command is
code:

I love you

I was literally trying to solve this problem yesterday

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

I love you

I was literally trying to solve this problem yesterday

:tipshat:

i asked this in the grey forums but the other weird thing in high sierra i found is that it keeps media from the internet quarantined even after being scanned and opened. e.g. if i download a large pdf or a high-def copy of anal milfs 5, it "verifies" the file every time i open it and this can take a while for larger files. i can remove the com.apple.quarantine xattribute to fix this but i still want it to do its thing the first time.. anyone itt know what's up with this, is it the intended behavior? wasn't like this on sierra afaik but haven't seen much about this online

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

got a link for anal_milfs_5.avi? I wanna uh check if I have the same problem

edit: and no, I don't have that problem at all

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
im kinda surprised that time machine doesnt work with APFS as the backup destination for local disks

i figured time machine was probably implemented as a series of hacks with directory hardlinks (which HFS+ supports and not many other filesystems do), and one could probably reimplement the core backup functionality on top of a modern snapshot-capable filesystem in like a day or two tops

like it wouldnt be very different from

code:
rsync -avAHX --delete / /Volumes/backup/current
apfs_snapshot /Volumes/backup/current /Volumes/backup/20171001-131600 (though of course there is no discrete apfs_snapshot executable)
repeat every hour, clean up old snapshots as appropriate, etc.
which you can do the equivalent of, now, in a linux system with a zfs or btrfs destination

now converting a existing HFS+ time machine backup set to a new "series of apfs snapshots" version would probably be a big pain in the rear end and not worth doing, but i could see starting a new set of backups in a format like that

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Lysidas posted:

im kinda surprised that time machine doesnt work with APFS as the backup destination for local disks

i figured time machine was probably implemented as a series of hacks with directory hardlinks (which HFS+ supports and not many other filesystems do), and one could probably reimplement the core backup functionality on top of a modern snapshot-capable filesystem in like a day or two tops

like it wouldnt be very different from

code:
rsync -avAHX --delete / /Volumes/backup/current
apfs_snapshot /Volumes/backup/current /Volumes/backup/20171001-131600 (though of course there is no discrete apfs_snapshot executable)
repeat every hour, clean up old snapshots as appropriate, etc.
which you can do the equivalent of, now, in a linux system with a zfs or btrfs destination

now converting a existing HFS+ time machine backup set to a new "series of apfs snapshots" version would probably be a big pain in the rear end and not worth doing, but i could see starting a new set of backups in a format like that

considering they couldn't get the implementation for fusion drives into the final release, which iirc are in the default configuration of every imac they're selling atm, you might be waiting a while before they scrap that folder full of millions of hardlinks

the magic command is
code:

ty!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
just installed ios 11 and none of the new emojis are there. wtf is this travesty

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Noooo my old macbook pro 2010 threw in the towel and now crashes on boot before gfxcardstatus has a chance to disable the nvidia gpu :(
When is Apple expected to launch a new non-junk macbook pro? Next summer?

Maybe if I'm lucky I can fix it like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzcgT_fiVTA

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

the new MacBook Pro isn't junk, it's just extremely overpriced with a very bad touch bar

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the Touch ID on it is great. the huge touch pad is also great. the touchbar is mostly useless for my purposes and slightly annoying. the keyboard is bad and way too loud. the lack of usb A ports is dumb. 3/5 would not buy again.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

im torn on the keyboard, I sort of like it but I hate those arrow keys, and it's maybe a liiiittle too "flat"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

im torn on the keyboard, I sort of like it but I hate those arrow keys, and it's maybe a liiiittle too "flat"

how do you like the escape key

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

how do you like the escape key

I've learned to live without it, I just stopped making mistakes so I don't need it anymore

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I've learned to live without it, I just stopped making mistakes so I don't need it anymore

👏

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

new macbook keyboard is serious garbage, and i'm not even some mechanical model M sperglord. it feels like trash and is massively inferior to the chiclets on my 4-year-old thinkpad.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

:tipshat:

i asked this in the grey forums but the other weird thing in high sierra i found is that it keeps media from the internet quarantined even after being scanned and opened. e.g. if i download a large pdf or a high-def copy of anal milfs 5, it "verifies" the file every time i open it and this can take a while for larger files. i can remove the com.apple.quarantine xattribute to fix this but i still want it to do its thing the first time.. anyone itt know what's up with this, is it the intended behavior? wasn't like this on sierra afaik but haven't seen much about this online

is there a way to recursively remove the quarantine flag for all files/subfolders in a given folder? i'm poo poo with the command line

Sagebrush posted:

new macbook keyboard is serious garbage, and i'm not even some mechanical model M sperglord. it feels like trash and is massively inferior to the chiclets on my 4-year-old thinkpad.

i would use the keyboard on my x220 over most desktop keyboards tbh

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Sagebrush posted:

I hate them. Its like an iphone keyboard became corporeal

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

is that the same being used as standalone wireless+numpad keyboard?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ufarn posted:

is that the same being used as standalone wireless+numpad keyboard?

the tragic meeboard has a good bit more travel and in my experience doesn't inspire the same 'gently caress me, something is wrong here' gut response upon first use that the macbook ones do

ufarn
May 30, 2009
that's always something; the laptop keyboards are one of the things that really make me hold on to my mba'12 for dear life, but they'd be particularly stupid to screw up their desktop market with those keys

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

but with wireless charging the lightning port is the dedicated headphone jack now

Generic Monk posted:

is there a way to recursively remove the quarantine flag for all files/subfolders in a given folder? i'm poo poo with the command line

there is, but i don't want to remove quarantine scans on new downloaded files automatically, either.. for now i'm just manually removing it from large files as needed, but it's annoying

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Apple's lineup of iPhones next year will introduce a larger-screened LCD model, measuring more than 6 inches, according to a report today by The Bell (via The Korea Herald). It's unclear whether this size will be an additional offering to the current LCD iPhone lineup (including 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models), or if it's replacing these sizes completely.

In May we heard the first rumor about Apple's 2018 iPhones, which at the time focused solely on the OLED versions and did not mention the LCD models. This rumor stated that the devices would come in 5.28-inch and 6.46-inch OLED screen sizes. A subsequent report by ETNews suggested that Apple had ditched the small 5.28-inch size and moved to focus on 5.85-inch and 6.46-inch models, and today's report corroborates those claims.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Apple's lineup of iPhones next year will introduce a larger-screened LCD model, measuring more than 6 inches, according to a report today by The Bell (via The Korea Herald). It's unclear whether this size will be an additional offering to the current LCD iPhone lineup (including 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models), or if it's replacing these sizes completely.

In May we heard the first rumor about Apple's 2018 iPhones, which at the time focused solely on the OLED versions and did not mention the LCD models. This rumor stated that the devices would come in 5.28-inch and 6.46-inch OLED screen sizes. A subsequent report by ETNews suggested that Apple had ditched the small 5.28-inch size and moved to focus on 5.85-inch and 6.46-inch models, and today's report corroborates those claims.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Can't innovate anymore, my rear end!

ufarn
May 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

iphone 5 fans: could we please get a form factor that works for us?
timb: say no more fam

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

iphone se refresh with 6.46" screen would be amazing

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

iphone se refresh with 6.46" screen would be amazing

the se is 5.39" diagonally, so a 5.28" display should be a perfect mini x

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

gently caress Big Phones

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
padphone's back, in apple form

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

after having it for 6 months I'm fine with my macbook pro escape key edition keyboard but it definitely takes some getting used to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

apple is dead

• Locked thread